The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2017, 06:00 AM   #1
Sammyca
"TRF" Member

Nervous about warranty repair

Hi,

I'm having second thoughts about having sent my watch in for repair under warranty to the jewelry store. I had debated whether to go to SF RSC or an AD in Palm Springs, CA. It was just easier to mail it back since I am in Palm Springs and had seen good reviews of the store.

I checked in with the jeweler on the status of the repair and a rep writes that the lead watchmaker says it appears the watch has sustained some "pretty heavy impact damage."

I wrote that it was a troubling report since I don't recall when I could have caused heavy impact. I haven't fallen with it on, or dropped it. Rep said hitting it against something like a cabinet or wall while wearing it could have caused damage. They're checking the movement to see if any pieces have been broken or forcibly displaced.

I sent it in because I would wake in the morning and it would be stopped, even though I would have worn it 24 hours a day and would it 30-40 times a few days earlier.

Given my complaint, does their assessment sound correct? Am I being a Nervous Nellie? Never had my watched repaired.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Sammyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 06:05 AM   #2
.brian.
"TRF" Member

Watch: in Philadelphia
Based on this comment: "I would wake in the morning and it would be stopped, even though I would have worn it 24 hours" I would venture to say their assessment might not be too far off. There is clearly something majorly wrong.

Did you buy it pre-owned?
.brian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 06:23 AM   #3
Sammyca
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I did. The jewelry store supposedly checked it out before selling it. What could I have done to cause that damage? Case and bezel are fine.
Old 20 January 2017, 06:26 AM   #4
Juantxo
Banned

I have NEVER sent a Rolex for service or repair (actually never needed to send one for repair) anywhere else except to a RSC in the US or Europe. And I have NEVER had an issue with a RSC, on the contrary. And I'm referring to a time frame of some forty years and dozens of Rolex watches.

By the way, there is an exception that I must mention but which I don't include above because it is about a vintage (1949) watch I traded long ago for a Speedmaster. And that watch is presently at ABC Watchwerks in LA because they are supplying a new case. I'm waiting for the watch to be returned and I'll post the results.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 06:28 AM   #5
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

It probably has a broken or loose rotor axle, which would explain why it stops overnight. That would also explain why they suspect impact damage.
I wouldn't overthink it too much, I'm sure they'll take care of it.

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 06:30 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyca View Post
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I did. The jewelry store supposedly checked it out before selling it. What could I have done to cause that damage? Case and bezel are fine.
No telling what may have happened..

I do believe what the shop is telling you is that the damage appears to be a hard knock event and, therefore, would not be covered by your warranty.
Old 20 January 2017, 06:33 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post
It probably has a broken or loose rotor axle, which would explain why it stops overnight. That would also explain why they suspect impact damage.
That should be reassuring to OP.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 06:35 AM   #8
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post
Next time, send your watch to this lady.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 08:21 AM   #9
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
Sorry to hear this. Will be interested to see how it turns out.
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 09:09 AM   #10
THC

Watch: 16610M
What model watch? OP may be worried/ nervous about the final bill, if significant internal damage
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 10:32 AM   #11
Sammyca
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your replies.

My watch is a Ladies DateJust 179173.

The store hasn't said anything about not repairing it under the warranty. If I have to pay, I won't be happy.

I've had a Rolex before and I'm pretty careful with my watch. I haven't dropped it or fallen while wearing it, and the watch doesn't show any impact.

I'm supposed to hear back in 7-10 days. What a bummer to not have my watch and now a question about the repair.
Old 21 January 2017, 06:11 PM   #12
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyca View Post
Thanks for your replies.

My watch is a Ladies DateJust 179173.

The store hasn't said anything about not repairing it under the warranty. If I have to pay, I won't be happy.

I've had a Rolex before and I'm pretty careful with my watch. I haven't dropped it or fallen while wearing it, and the watch doesn't show any impact.

I'm supposed to hear back in 7-10 days. What a bummer to not have my watch and now a question about the repair.
Impact damage is out of the warranty, it's a card they play not to honour their obligation to you. It's funny that without any sign of damage to the outside of the watch they claim this. Would raise my eyebrows and I suspect you will have to pay. Hope I am wrong.
But if so than take it out of the store and deal directly with a RSC. That will give you renewed papers, good provenance, brand new looking watch and a new 2 year international warranty.
Old 22 January 2017, 07:35 AM   #13
Sammyca
"TRF" Member

Thanks, joli160.
Hope they do the right thing. Took pictures of the watch before I sent it in, but guess they could claim impact.
Old 1 March 2017, 09:35 AM   #14
Sammyca
"TRF" Member

I'd think this was comical, except it is happening to me and my watch...

Sent my watch to the jewelery store for a warranty repair. They said there was damage to the detent mechanism and replaced it. They then sent the watch 2-day FedEx to the wrong address. I had notified them of the correct address when I sent in the watch, and didn't realize the error until I received a text from FedEx. They recalled the package and received it at the store. After waiting for more than a week, I called the store and was informed that they've somehow lost my watch.

The store said they have a watch, which is similar to mine. For example, same serial number letter, "F," Rolex box, and no papers. I'm waiting to see pictures. Jewelers Mutual insures my watch now. How should I handle this situation? Given everything that's gone on, I'm not sure if I trust the store and its assessment that they are replacing my watch with a like value watch.

Do I make a claim with the insurance company? Do I trust the store? Do I get a second opinion of valuation and have the store pay for it? Who should I get an appraisal from? I'm in Palm Springs, California and Leed's is the local AD.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 1 March 2017, 11:45 AM   #15
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Easy, file the claim with the insurance, why stress yourself with all the leg work, they screwed up.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2017, 12:22 PM   #16
Carrera997
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
No do not file a claim! That is "your" insurance and you do not want them to have to pay a claim and possibly cancel your insurance. Leeds is the one responsible and they are an AD. I would call Leeds and set up a meeting with the owner or GM. I would then contact Rolex USA in NY and tell them what happened. Rolex can put pressure on Leeds. Then go to your meeting and see what they can do. You won't accomplish maximum results by phone or email. It needs to be face to face with Rolex USA in your corner.
Carrera997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2017, 02:05 PM   #17
Sammyca
"TRF" Member

Thanks 1st amg and Carrera997,

I asked Jewelers Mutual about making a claim. Said would not ding me on this first claim, but I don't want a record of a claim on my policy.

I want to clarify that Leeds is not involved. I was going to go to them for an appraisal. They didn't lose my watch.

Thanks for any additional ideas.
Old 2 March 2017, 03:30 AM   #18
JohnnyCocktails
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680-8 / 1016
Sammyca,
Glad you clarified that Leeds wasn't involved...
I've bought numerous Rolex watches from Leeds and Son, and found them to be nothing but the highest in customer service and professionalism. I always recommend them. They've been in business for 60 years.
Good luck with your watch dilemma, hope all works out for the best :)
JohnnyCocktails is offline   Reply With Quote