The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 January 2017, 08:10 AM   #1
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Boutiques vs. ADs

Hi,
Forgive me but I don't understand something. Hoping you all can clarify?
I was always under the impression that an AD is something like Tourneau or Mayors Jewelers (both of which I have visited locations of.) Several brands such as Rolex, Panerai, IWC, Chopard, Breitling, Tudor, etc under one roof.

With a boutique being set up BY the brand to sell only that particular brand?!
For instance - AP in NYC on 57th, and the Bal Harbour MIA location. Now, I've been to both and KNOW for a fact that ONLY AP is sold in these "boutiques."
^^ Those ARE AP boutiques, correct?

And, is that logic correct??

With that said, and with talk on here of moving toward boutiques and away from ADs - what will happen to stores such as these - of which, again, I have visited every single one in person and KNOW they sell multiple brands in the one store??

Swiss Fine Timing - Magnificent Mile, Chicago
Exquisite Timepieces - Naples FL
Hing Wa Lee - Walnut CA
Westime - Beverly Hills CA
Westime - La Jolla (San Diego) CA

They may go by the wayside then?
Particularly I am most "curious" about the Westime franchises, at least Beverly Hills and La Jolla because I seem to recall someone here posting that Westime has something to do with AP North America, that they work hand-in-hand?
Will the AP brand eventually be yanked from those two Westime stores in favor of opening "stand-alone" stores, possibly??

Just curious and thanks.
sssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 08:39 AM   #2
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Yes, an AP boutique is usually (if not always) run by AP themselves. And yes only AP's.
Old 20 January 2017, 08:40 AM   #3
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
The future of ADs is looking shaky for sure.
Old 20 January 2017, 09:28 AM   #4
texex91
"TRF" Member

Westime also owns the Vegas AP "boutique" and Beverly Hills AP 'boutique'.

AP isn't yanking anything from Westime. Westime is the 900 lb gorilla and is about as tight as it comes with AP. Goes even further with RM, as they are the actual US distributor for ALL AD's.

So not sure what your question really is, but Westime gets what Westime wants when it comes to AP.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 09:44 AM   #5
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Westime also owns the Vegas AP "boutique" and Beverly Hills AP 'boutique'.

AP isn't yanking anything from Westime. Westime is the 900 lb gorilla and is about as tight as it comes with AP. Goes even further with RM, as they are the actually distributor.

So not sure what your question really is, but Westime gets what Westime wants when it comes to AP.

Thanks for that info. With that said, my question is this:
If business moves away from ADs, to gravitate towards boutiques, but nothing is being "changed" with regards to Westime, it would be VERY "odd" (to say the least) if AP took distributorship rights from places such as Hing Wa Lee, Exquisite Timepieces, Swiss Fine Timing and many others, but left Westime with "AD" status, would it not?!
AP only allowing basically one select & chosen AD to remain open. Do you foresee that eventually happening?
Nothing wrong w Westime at all - but shouldn't everyone be allowed a fair and equal shot?
Simply food for thought! Just a bit strange to me, from someone on the sidelines looking in (who enjoys visiting ANY place which sells APs!)

Edit & PS: By "Westime" I am strictly referring to the AD locations which sell multiple brands - such as Rodeo Drive (BH) and La Jolla. It was news to me as texex pointed out that Westime owned Vegas AP, which I've not been to, and also what I assume to be a stand-alone-store in BH (in addition to the Rodeo Dr location?) Hope that makes sense!!
Old 20 January 2017, 09:49 AM   #6
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
There are plenty of external boutiques which only offer AP and follow all AP design cues etc but run by third parties. They are of course above ADs in the foodchain but below AP-owned boutiques.
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 09:49 AM   #7
speedmaster73
Banned

Boutiques are generally owned by the brand themselves however in some cases a boutique can be owned by a jeweller. In Mississauga Canada the Rolex Boutique is owned by Raffi Jewellers however only sells Rolex. Is this what happens with AP sometimes? not sure but Boutiques are usually 1) owned by the brand or 2) owned by another party but brand exclusive.
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 10:03 AM   #8
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster73 View Post
Boutiques are generally owned by the brand themselves however in some cases a boutique can be owned by a jeweller. In Mississauga Canada the Rolex Boutique is owned by Raffi Jewellers however only sells Rolex. Is this what happens with AP sometimes? not sure but Boutiques are usually 1) owned by the brand or 2) owned by another party but brand exclusive.
AFAIK all Rolex "boutiques" are owned by the local jeweler, except for one small Rolex-owned store in Geneva.

AP along with other Swiss watch manufacturers are opening up manufacturer owned boutiques and severing ties with many local ADs. They think this will allow greater control over the distribution channels (including the gray market) and pricing/discounting. We shall see if it is going to be a long-term success for the watch manufacturers.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 10:06 AM   #9
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
There are plenty of external boutiques which only offer AP and follow all AP design cues etc but run by third parties. They are of course above ADs in the foodchain but below AP-owned boutiques.

Did not know this either, interesting and thanks!
Old 20 January 2017, 10:08 AM   #10
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
AFAIK all Rolex "boutiques" are owned by the local jeweler, except for one small Rolex-owned store in Geneva.

AP along with other Swiss watch manufacturers are opening up manufacturer owned boutiques and severing ties with many local ADs. They think this will allow greater control over the distribution channels (including the gray market) and pricing/discounting. We shall see if it is going to be a long-term success for the watch manufacturers.

Ahhh, interesting!!
If AP wants to have more control over grey market dealers, would this affect TRF dealers such as DavidSW (don't they usually source from ADs)???
Old 20 January 2017, 10:10 AM   #11
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
I think the risk of AP going full boutique is medium term at best. Changing from a company that basically wholesales watches to a retailer that controls all points of sale is a very big step. Its very different business model, with major cash flow implications. This will not sneak up on anyone.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 10:14 AM   #12
sssteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
I think the risk of AP going full boutique is medium term at best. Changing from a company that basically wholesales watches to a retailer that controls all points of sale is a very big step. Its very different business model, with major cash flow implications. This will not sneak up on anyone.

Valid points I had not considered!
Old 20 January 2017, 11:22 AM   #13
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Full price, sit longer on the shelves, no way to pay the bills / r&d. It's complicated, that's why they will trim small ADs, open up a few additional boutiques. Keep high demand watches boutique only etc. I just can't see AP turning into tourneau (full price retailer) and surviving LT. Not unless they are ok with a much smaller firm.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 11:31 AM   #14
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
This.

Basically AP boutiques that are run directly by AP usually gets the best allocation and also the fastest to land on new pieces ( eg the 2017 Novelties ). They also often give free gifts generously ( if that's your thing ) and you get to be invited to parties and function. Salespeople are often more knowledgeable and you get ( but not always ) better service and treatment. However, discount is less if any at all.

I tend to buy from both boutique and ADs, depending on availability and price. I admit I can be a sucker for "nice treatment" at times.
Old 20 January 2017, 12:36 PM   #15
apisitc
"TRF" Member

all Boutiques are not suppose to be the main point to earn but it is about to keep the brand image and strong value as become the reference of retail price for the whole market , the brand has got enough already from wholesales.
apisitc is offline   Reply With Quote