The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2017, 11:50 PM   #1
pereiraex
"TRF" Member

Daytona Ceramic Accepting Deposits/ Waitlists??

Hi TRF,

I have been seriously in the market for the new DaytonaC for a few months now (for personal use) and being based in the UK, have found it EXTREMELY hard to find any AD willing to take a deposit or even put my name on the waiting list (seriously just to put a name down??) I've called around 30 ADs around the country as well as in several European states and am absolutely getting nowhere with the search at this rate.

I've reached the point where I'm sick and tired of being told we're not taking deposits, need to have prior history, 5-6 year wait blah blah. Sorry if I sound a little frustrated with this post but I just needed to get that off my back seeing people who are on their 2nd and 3rd pieces already and some flipping them as fast as they can come in. I also refuse to pay double the RRP on the grey market as a matter of principle to not encourage flippers as well as because of budget constraints.

Please, if anyone has any advice on what I should do to be seriously in the running for a 116500 within the next year or so or know of a AD (anywhere in US or Europe really) who might be open to a serious discussion please send some information my way and I will be forever indebted.

Cheers,
Jon
pereiraex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2017, 11:56 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pereiraex View Post
Hi TRF,

I have been seriously in the market for the new DaytonaC for a few months now (for personal use) and being based in the UK, have found it EXTREMELY hard to find any AD willing to take a deposit or even put my name on the waiting list (seriously just to put a name down??) I've called around 30 ADs around the country as well as in several European states and am absolutely getting nowhere with the search at this rate.

I've reached the point where I'm sick and tired of being told we're not taking deposits, need to have prior history, 5-6 year wait blah blah. Sorry if I sound a little frustrated with this post but I just needed to get that off my back seeing people who are on their 2nd and 3rd pieces already and some flipping them as fast as they can come in. I also refuse to pay double the RRP on the grey market as a matter of principle to not encourage flippers as well as because of budget constraints.

Please, if anyone has any advice on what I should do to be seriously in the running for a 116500 within the next year or so or know of a AD (anywhere in US or Europe really) who might be open to a serious discussion please send some information my way and I will be forever indebted.

Cheers,
Jon
Have to agree it must take all of 5 years wait for Rolex to put on a simple push fits ceramic insert and slightly different dials on the old 116520 to make a 116500. Its so time consuming and there only so many hours in a day,and the robots must get there rest, as they have refused to work overtime..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 12:04 AM   #3
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
being in the UK i think it will be a while. my suggestion, pay the premium of 3-4k if you want it.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 12:05 AM   #4
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree it must take all of 5 years wait for Rolex to put on a simple push fits ceramic insert and slightly different dials on the old 116520 to make a 116500. Its so time consuming and there only so many hours in a day,and the robots must get there rest, as they have refused to work overtime..
Padi I am surprised to see you make this statement. Usually I see you sing such high praises for the 116500 as a technological marvel .

Pay the premium. There will probably be another price increase this year.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 12:12 AM   #5
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
If you've put that much effort into it, you obviously want one very badly. In your case I would just buy one for the extra couple of thousand it's going for over msrp. Life's too short to pine away for something that can be easily had for a relatively small premium.
Hodog16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 12:21 AM   #6
Or57
"TRF" Member

I agree with all the above.
If you really want the Daytona C go on eBay and do a deal with a private seller who picked up the watch last week.
The dealers are paying between £12,000 and £13,000 so I reckon at £13,500 you would be doing well.
I think it's safe to say that if you haven't been on a list since day one or spend a lot of money at the dealer you have no chance seeing a watch for at least 5 years.
Or57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 12:52 AM   #7
melrob1
"TRF" Member

Good luck getting one at msrp. Buy one at the premium if you want it that bad otherwise wait 3-5 years and see what happens. This is a supply and demand watch and good customers will get them first. My AD has received only two and they are expecting maybe 3 this year.
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 01:15 AM   #8
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Perhaps you should consider something else if you can't wait or won't pay a premium. If Rolex doesn't want our money there a lot other nice watches out there.

I'll probably end up buying two other pieces before I can even get to the Daytona.
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 01:18 AM   #9
pereiraex
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, I was hoping that someone on the forums might have a good enough relationship with his or her AD to 'proxy' a purchase for me. I can't afford paying double MSRP for the DayC so I'll probably just let go of this one with the current situation. A bit ridiculous to be begging to spend money really if you ask me.
Old 21 January 2017, 01:28 AM   #10
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Either wait or buy it over MSRP. I find it's kind of funny that so many people who like or collect Rolex have absolutely no relationship with an AD. I have bought two watches through TRF but I also bought 4 from my AD. If you want to be in a position to get a new watch that Rolex puts out you should start developing your relationship way before Baselworld. Then people fuss and complain that they can not get that particular watch. Be proactive before the next newest greatest watch comes out!
Old 21 January 2017, 01:33 AM   #11
s14roller
"TRF" Member

If you aren't on a "real list" then I'd say you are extremely late to the game already. If it's a watch you really want within a year I'd say go ahead and pay the few K premium and call it a day.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 01:35 AM   #12
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodog16 View Post
If you've put that much effort into it, you obviously want one very badly. In your case I would just buy one for the extra couple of thousand it's going for over msrp. Life's too short to pine away for something that can be easily had for a relatively small premium.
this, just that simple
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 01:43 AM   #13
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Ah yes, the ol' Padi copy-and-paste rain cloud.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 01:45 AM   #14
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
Quote:
A bit ridiculous to be begging to spend money really if you ask me.
It's kind of ridiculous to make this statement - it happens all the time. Think about trying to buy Yeezy sneakers in a store. Think about walking into a dealership and paying sticker price for a Porsche GT3. What about the new iPhone the day after release? Try getting that new Supreme streetwear at your local mall.

Things have high demand and shorter supply. That's life, sometimes.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 01:50 AM   #15
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys, I was hoping that someone on the forums might have a good enough relationship with his or her AD to 'proxy' a purchase for me. I can't afford paying double MSRP for the DayC so I'll probably just let go of this one with the current situation. A bit ridiculous to be begging to spend money really if you ask me.
I don't see many people on here using their relationships to "proxy" a purchase for someone else who they don't really know. These are things that destroy well built relationships with ADs.
You say you don't want to pay double list but I saw one recently on another forum for £14k so definitely not double.
You'll be unlikely to find someone on here willing to give you a golden ticket to a DaytonaC, so I'd either pay the premium, join lists and wait it out (and pay whatever the RRP is then), or find another watch.

Either way I do hope you get one as you seem keen
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 02:07 AM   #16
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
I don't see many people on here using their relationships to "proxy" a purchase for someone else who they don't really know. These are things that destroy well built relationships with ADs.
You say you don't want to pay double list but I saw one recently on another forum for £14k so definitely not double.
You'll be unlikely to find someone on here willing to give you a golden ticket to a DaytonaC, so I'd either pay the premium, join lists and wait it out (and pay whatever the RRP is then), or find another watch.

No - not double but £4,900 more (£9100 retail) so a considerable extra amount.
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 02:21 AM   #17
pereiraex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewphone View Post
It's kind of ridiculous to make this statement - it happens all the time. Think about trying to buy Yeezy sneakers in a store. Think about walking into a dealership and paying sticker price for a Porsche GT3. What about the new iPhone the day after release? Try getting that new Supreme streetwear at your local mall.

Things have high demand and shorter supply. That's life, sometimes.
You're probably right with your analogy but I can't really identify with it. Look, I'm way past the stage where I'm looking to buy 'yeezy sneakers' or 'supreme streetwear' or other fads like the new iPhone every year when a new one is released. The Daytona was something I had been looking at for a couple of years now and so when the Ceramic came out I knew it was time but was late in registering my interest. I guess I was thinking that having a long term commitment to keeping the watch counted for something when it came to getting one but who am I kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post

Thanks, but I don't quite understand how giving more money to your AD will 'destroy your well built relationship with them.' I'm on a 'list' at my AD but honestly not keeping my hopes up as everyone knows how these things work work in the UK.

Regardless, seems like the consensus advice is either to pay premium or forgo it. I can't afford the former, so the choice is already made for me. I'll stay on the list, don't get me wrong, but chances are higher that I hit the lottery jackpot tomorrow.
Old 21 January 2017, 02:38 AM   #18
keschete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, but I don't quite understand how giving more money to your AD will 'destroy your well built relationship with them.'
My AD specifically told me the watch was for me, not to be resold. Now I could have sold my Daytona C easily and have made over MSRP. But I said I would not do that. If I sold it and my AD found out it might mar our relationship so that I wouldn't be first on the list next time.

That's why I doubt anyone is going to be your proxy. The regular person who doesn't buy and sell watches and who has a relationship with the AD will certainly not do this if they hope to have next years newest thing. Baselworld 2017 is coming!!!! And I will be ready!!!
Old 21 January 2017, 02:48 AM   #19
Ragna
Banned

Daytona Ceramic Accepting Deposits/ Waitlists??

Name on the list its just letting them fool you. That does not count in any shape of form.

If you make deposit, do so if they provide writen date of delivery.

If not just take your money, save and buy a watch from a better brand.
Ragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 02:52 AM   #20
pereiraex
"TRF" Member

Most of the ADs I cold called are not accepting deposits, only 1 let me go on their 'list' but that's why I say I'm not expecting much.
Old 21 January 2017, 03:16 AM   #21
mattty
"TRF" Member

Sadly one of the main reasons the Daytona is highly in demand is because people know they can buy it and make a nice profit worst case scenario.

I was on Facebook the other night a Daytona flashed up that somebody had bought the day before and was flipping it less than a day later for half as much again.
Now with this In mind how many people are going to help a stranger make a nice little profit?
Won't happen sorry.

Just being honest, I'd look for another model or pay the premium.
mattty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 03:18 AM   #22
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Without prior history I doubt you get far anytime soon!

They seem to be around 15k from greys, US prices have started to drop slightly and think I've seen a few around 13k but can't see this happening anyone soon in the UK due to the weak pound.

I know greys are buying in around 12-13K so if you could someone find someone on the list purely to flip for profit you might get it around that but as to how you would go about this I don't know.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 03:28 AM   #23
pereiraex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Without prior history I doubt you get far anytime soon!

They seem to be around 15k from greys, US prices have started to drop slightly and think I've seen a few around 13k but can't see this happening anyone soon in the UK due to the weak pound.

I know greys are buying in around 12-13K so if you could someone find someone on the list purely to flip for profit you might get it around that but as to how you would go about this I don't know.
Isn't US retail 12.4k? 13k is a reasonable price to pay but seems too low IMO and I haven't seen one available for that price.
Old 21 January 2017, 03:28 AM   #24
mattty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keschete View Post
My AD specifically told me the watch was for me, not to be resold.
Heard somebody else say this too, it would take my cheese if I was told that.

Two phrases I use daily.;

'He who pays the piper, calls the tune' and

'He who do the paying, do the saying'.

I've got a real thing about being in people's debt (it's just never worked for me) I would sooner walk out of the shop than listen to that.

Rgds Matty
Old 21 January 2017, 03:38 AM   #25
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Isn't US retail 12.4k? 13k is a reasonable price to pay but seems too low IMO and I haven't seen one available for that price.
I'm taking in sterling! I've seen a couple pop up around $16,000-$17,000 so around £13,000 but obviously if you try and import you'll get stung on customs

Here in the UK we are one of the cheapest places to buy so a lot of demand to hold the prices up longer.

As said places like Watchfinder etc were offerings £12,000-£13,000 for it and putting it up for £15,000 so if you could find a way to get in between this on one deal great but chances of this I guess are slim!
Old 21 January 2017, 03:45 AM   #26
rodneygt3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Yes, a relationship helps. However, I believe this is mostly the lack of supply for many of the AD's. Some have not received a single Daytona C.
rodneygt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 04:04 AM   #27
keschete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattty View Post
Heard somebody else say this too, it would take my cheese if I was told that.

Two phrases I use daily.;

'He who pays the piper, calls the tune' and

'He who do the paying, do the saying'.

I've got a real thing about being in people's debt (it's just never worked for me) I would sooner walk out of the shop than listen to that.

Rgds Matty
Everything about Rolex the company is proprietary. If you send your watch to RSC and it is customized they will put it back to original condition and charge you for it (specifically non Rolex diamond bezels). So I am sure they told the AD's something. I really have a good relationship with my AD. I also never planned to flip the watch. He actually offered me a SS Daytona to flip if I wanted it, New in Box. I told him that I'm not interested in the hassle of selling watches on TRF. So I don't feel like I am in his debt. Buying the watch just to flip it is a bit greedy if you ask me.
Old 21 January 2017, 04:05 AM   #28
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneygt3 View Post
Yes, a relationship helps. However, I believe this is mostly the lack of supply for many of the AD's. Some have not received a single Daytona C.
Highly doubt it in the UK, obviously it could be taken with a pinch of salt but a Rolex rep did state back in October all the UK AD's who are directly supplied should of had one of each colour by then.

And to add my AD have five last year.
Old 21 January 2017, 04:25 AM   #29
mattty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keschete View Post
Everything about Rolex the company is proprietary. If you send your watch to RSC and it is customized they will put it back to original condition and charge you for it (specifically non Rolex diamond bezels). So I am sure they told the AD's something. I really have a good relationship with my AD. I also never planned to flip the watch. He actually offered me a SS Daytona to flip if I wanted it, New in Box. I told him that I'm not interested in the hassle of selling watches on TRF. So I don't feel like I am in his debt. Buying the watch just to flip it is a bit greedy if you ask me.
There's allot of truth in what you post.
I wouldn't know how to safely sell a high end watch either.

I do think the Daytona thing has got well out of hand though.

Best Matty
Old 21 January 2017, 04:28 AM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
You could put up WTBs for £12K on the watch forums, maybe someone will sell to you rather than WF etc.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote