The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 January 2017, 06:54 AM   #31
'Andy'
"TRF" Member

So what's your previous purchase history with your AD...?? Do you have an AD you use regularly...??
Why have you just joined the party 10 months late..? I was on my dealers list within 2 minutes of release....In fact he text me..!!
Either pay a premium or establish a relationship with a dealer or wait 5 years. I wouldn't add you to my list either if I was an AD.
'Andy' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 08:55 AM   #32
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I went through similar frustration, getting my name on the list (along with a 50% deposit) back in August.

What I did, after a while, was to look for compelling ideas in other Daytonas -- the Paul Newman gold watch with leather band, for example. See if there are any other Daytonas out there that do not have the Hot Watch Premium attached.

You are also in the fortunate/unfortunate situation where UK pricing is cheaper than virtually anywhere. So Rolex does not have much incentive to allocate many pieces there.
Old 21 January 2017, 09:38 AM   #33
GMT16700
Banned

Watch: GMT Master
I have been quoted 8-10 years by my AD. However I have spoken to someone who was lucky enough to get one in under two years the lucky sod also picked up a BLNR on the same day.
GMT16700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 09:52 AM   #34
sarey
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712g-001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragna View Post
Name on the list its just letting them fool you. That does not count in any shape of form.

If you make deposit, do so if they provide writen date of delivery.

If not just take your money, save and buy a watch from a better brand.

Very true and I totally agree..
Patek Philippe 5712g-001
Breitling Emergency
sarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 06:34 PM   #35
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I was only chatting to an Indepenedent UK AD yesterday who I get on very well with. I've bought several watches from him and we regularly engage with banter about Rolex etc. He knows I am reasonably knowledgeable about Rolex and everything he has told me over the years is always true.

We discussed the reselling aspect of DaytonaC etc and the grey market.
He said he only sold DaytonaC to "selected local customers" to ensure the watches were only for them. This included removing stickers and sizing there and then. He also said he wouldn't consider selling to them if there was even a remote possibility they may resell, and a DaytonaC with his AD name on it would end up on the grey market. It really was a case of them selecting the best customers for this watch based on the above criteria.
Seems the ball is firmly in the ADs court with this one.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 07:23 PM   #36
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT16700 View Post
I have been quoted 8-10 years by my AD. However I have spoken to someone who was lucky enough to get one in under two years the lucky sod also picked up a BLNR on the same day.
Honestly, anyone who quotes 10 years is an idiot.

It isn't as simple as "Well, I got only 3 allocations in 2016, and I have 30 on the list, so 10 more years for you!"

No one said Rolex will keep allocations at the same rate. And no one said all 30 on the wait list who didn't really commit anything to get on that list will actually consume their allocation.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 08:42 PM   #37
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
Daytona Ceramic Accepting Deposits/ Waitlists??

I'd pay the premium if you really want it.

Price rises will come to eat away at that premium and you get to enjoy it.

I love my DayC, even though I did not pay a premium, if I had the funds to pay it if I couldn't have got one then I would have paid the extra.

Check out the review with Ben C and John M on HODINKEE, says it all about the watch.

I met a guy in Manchester In a similar position, he was going to pay the premium.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 08:58 PM   #38
Winnie Bloo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the GBP fall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
I was only chatting to an Indepenedent UK AD yesterday who I get on very well with. I've bought several watches from him and we regularly engage with banter about Rolex etc. He knows I am reasonably knowledgeable about Rolex and everything he has told me over the years is always true.

He said he only sold DaytonaC to "selected local customers" to ensure the watches were only for them. This included removing stickers and sizing there and then. He also said he wouldn't consider selling to them if there was even a remote possibility they may resell, and a DaytonaC with his AD name on it would end up on the grey market. It really was a case of them selecting the best customers for this watch based on the above criteria.
Spot on

Once I left the U.K. I realised that a lot of folks want items NOW, why should I wait ? They have to sell to ME.
Truth is, the seller also has a choice.
I now have to wait in today's marketplace, as I have said, even for a car that I could purchase immediately in most other countries.
Just makes it better when it arrives.
Years ago you had to wait, just be patient and polite.
It's hard sometimes, but it's only a watch and most of us have "others" to keep us going.

I was fortunate with my Daytona, if it hadn't arrived I would have probably waited or bought something else. I nearly bought a Breguet type xxi titanium, yeah it was a little different and very comfortable. However I waited, and along came the Daytona

Oh and yeah, I had to covert £'s into €'s at a crap rate and therefore I paid more than UK list at the time. Therefore I suppose I paid a premium using my AD in Europe.

Last edited by Winnie Bloo; 21 January 2017 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: Additional info.
Winnie Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 09:11 PM   #39
kudosguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DeepSea
I share your sentiments, just sick and tired of no being given an answer re: this watch, which in all honesty is overpriced. With regard to paying the premium on this watch, I have seen it in a couple of grey dealers windows: Burlington arcade and watch club and it is going for £16K which I think is ridiculous!
kudosguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 09:17 PM   #40
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

This watch is not over priced.

I my opinion Rolex could sell it for more and I don't say that just because of the grey market.

Look at the product, it is awesome, ok so we are not talking high horology here but why you get for about 9k retail in the U.K is good value.

Compare this to other brands charging similar or more for a less attractive product.

Part of this is the value Rolex hold in the secondary market while most brands lose at shed load at retail pricing, add the history, the brand and how it is perceived by the general public and I would say the Daytona is a bargain.
Old 21 January 2017, 09:20 PM   #41
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudosguy View Post
I share your sentiments, just sick and tired of no being given an answer re: this watch, which in all honesty is overpriced. With regard to paying the premium on this watch, I have seen it in a couple of grey dealers windows: Burlington arcade and watch club and it is going for £16K which I think is ridiculous!

I feel for my independent AD.

You get the contract to sell the product and probably invest a lot of cash in the process with the store and staff etc, then you do not get a lot of stock of the models which are in demand.

However, the grey market is pumping them out at inflated prices with little of the expenses probably.
Old 21 January 2017, 09:26 PM   #42
Winnie Bloo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the GBP fall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudosguy View Post
I think you just answered yourself there.

If you think the watch is overpriced .....move on, life's too short, buy something else you think is well worth the money

Hey, it's you money, spend it on a "worthwhile" buy for YOU
Winnie Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 10:27 PM   #43
nick h
Banned

Watch: rolex 16200/116231
Quote:

this is very true

i spoke to my AD yesterday about the delivery next week of my white gold/cherry DD

we spoke about 'lists' for Ceramic Daytona and others - they have closed their list as they have people from all over the UK on said list who have never bought from them and they are sick of the chancers

IF you are a known and established customer you will get priority provided you are not going to resell the watch - they admit this is not a legally enforceable condition but they expect you to behave in good faith

this i totally agree with
nick h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 11:35 PM   #44
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Nobody is going to proxy because they will have a watch in their hand that they can flip for a free BLNR / Sub etc

Im a bit gutted as my AD (long term relationship etc) lost its Rolex AD status hence missed out on the Deep blue and Ceramic Daytona. Ive simply accepted this and moved on, keeping my 116520 in the process
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 11:48 PM   #45
pereiraex
"TRF" Member

OK, maybe not proxy directly but a heads up as to which ADs in their area would still have waiting lists open maybe? Especially for those who might have already gotten their Ceramic Daytona's I believe this would be incredibly helpful.
pereiraex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 11:57 PM   #46
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
How many times does this same thread come up a day.... wait on a mythical list.... pay the premium.... that's pretty much the only two options. If you had this so called "relationship" with a AD you would have one. I think the whole thing is rediculous, Rolex is just holding back. I would just buy the 116520.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 11:57 PM   #47
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I would just look around for your best deal on one and pull the trigger. You can definitely do better than double the retail.

Life's too short to put yourself through this type of anguish.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 12:02 AM   #48
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmg View Post
. Wait on a mythical list.... Pay the premium.... That's pretty much the only two options. If you had this so called "relationship" with a ad you would have one.
this
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 12:33 AM   #49
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pereiraex View Post
OK, maybe not proxy directly but a heads up as to which ADs in their area would still have waiting lists open maybe? Especially for those who might have already gotten their Ceramic Daytona's I believe this would be incredibly helpful.
It would be incredibly helpful, yes, but it's not going to happen.
As per previous posts pay a premium, wait x years or find a different watch.

I have great relationships with a few ADs and they will let me join a genuine list. I believe I'd get one within a year purely due to close relationships. These ADs know myself, my wife and son by name, we have a genuine rapport and warmth. However I'm delighted with what I have in my BLNR and AK and wouldn't currently want a DaytonaC as I don't personally love it enough. Yes I could get one "on relationship" and flip it. However I've taken time to build close relationships and I won't destroy that to put one of their watches on the grey market, as this is ADs fear.

So as said pay premium or move on.
Old 22 January 2017, 02:32 AM   #50
mattty
"TRF" Member

Popped in my local AD today, she was saying that they get 4-5 calls a week off grey sellers from all over the country asking for Daytonas offering above retail price.

Get your head round this one folks it's serious.

There isn't that much demand for a watch without a date or 3rd hand, the demand feature is profit.

Rgds matty
mattty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 02:43 AM   #51
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
I'd pay the premium if you really want it.

Price rises will come to eat away at that premium and you get to enjoy it.

I love my DayC, even though I did not pay a premium, if I had the funds to pay it if I couldn't have got one then I would have paid the extra.

Check out the review with Ben C and John M on HODINKEE, says it all about the watch.

I met a guy in Manchester In a similar position, he was going to pay the premium.
More like says it all about Ben and John

Not really as Ben generally comes off as extremely down to earth but that segment was easily the worst thing ever posted on hodinkee.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 03:29 AM   #52
adrianw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Yacthmaster
Daytona C

Quote:
Hi TRF,

I have been seriously in the market for the new DaytonaC for a few months now (for personal use) and being based in the UK, have found it EXTREMELY hard to find any AD willing to take a deposit or even put my name on the waiting list (seriously just to put a name down??) I've called around 30 ADs around the country as well as in several European states and am absolutely getting nowhere with the search at this rate.

I've reached the point where I'm sick and tired of being told we're not taking deposits, need to have prior history, 5-6 year wait blah blah. Sorry if I sound a little frustrated with this post but I just needed to get that off my back seeing people who are on their 2nd and 3rd pieces already and some flipping them as fast as they can come in. I also refuse to pay double the RRP on the grey market as a matter of principle to not encourage flippers as well as because of budget constraints.

Please, if anyone has any advice on what I should do to be seriously in the running for a 116500 within the next year or so or know of a AD (anywhere in US or Europe really) who might be open to a serious discussion please send some information my way and I will be forever indebted.

Cheers,
Jon

Mmmmm I've been on the waiting list since last August for the Daytona C and speaking to the dealer at the weekend they are only receiving small quantities, (a big franchise) so it's anyone's guess when I going to get the call. Personally waiting years for a watch when there're other good choices available I decided the purchase the TTYM II instead and very happy with my decision. As many have commented if you don't want to pay the premium then unfortunately it's a waiting game, I don't see a fast solution.

Regards
adrianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 04:05 AM   #53
chet
"TRF" Member

How does an AD figure out if you resell the watch?
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 04:11 AM   #54
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Hi TRF,

I have been seriously in the market for the new DaytonaC for a few months now (for personal use) and being based in the UK, have found it EXTREMELY hard to find any AD willing to take a deposit or even put my name on the waiting list (seriously just to put a name down??) I've called around 30 ADs around the country as well as in several European states and am absolutely getting nowhere with the search at this rate.

I've reached the point where I'm sick and tired of being told we're not taking deposits, need to have prior history, 5-6 year wait blah blah. Sorry if I sound a little frustrated with this post but I just needed to get that off my back seeing people who are on their 2nd and 3rd pieces already and some flipping them as fast as they can come in. I also refuse to pay double the RRP on the grey market as a matter of principle to not encourage flippers as well as because of budget constraints.

Please, if anyone has any advice on what I should do to be seriously in the running for a 116500 within the next year or so or know of a AD (anywhere in US or Europe really) who might be open to a serious discussion please send some information my way and I will be forever indebted.

Cheers,
Jon
You must be able to get a Daytona within the next year if you write your name down at an AD or two. After all, every year Rolex launches something new that will make people scramble towards the latest and attention will be averted from the Daytona. Also, soon enough people will tire from paying greedy and unscrupulous gray market dealers outrageous prices. I got mine from an AD, with white dial, in less than six months from launch, and at retail. Just be a little patient. One with a black dial won't be too difficult to buy within the year.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 05:18 AM   #55
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet View Post
How does an AD figure out if you resell the watch?
Qualification before sale, and only selling this model to trusted previous customers with whom they have relationships.

They will qualify as much as possible to protect themselves against "flippers". However it's not 100%.
Old 22 January 2017, 05:23 AM   #56
Clasper
"TRF" Member

All interesting comments about dealers.

I'm UK based (North East), I put my name down for both the Black Daytona C about June 16 and a month later for the Deepsea Blue.

I was told I was about 30th on the list for the Daytona C and quite far down for the Deepsea. In November I received a call saying the Deepsea was available and did I want it, my preference was for the DaytonaC but I wasn't expecting it to arrive for at least another 1-2 years so I purchased the Deepsea Blue (fortunately just before the price increases). I was told that everyone gets phoned in order and if you answer they ask if you want the watch as it's available, if no answer they phone the next person on the list (seemingly if you phone back they just ask if you wish to remain on the list).

Last Wednesday I received a phone call to say the Daytona C in Black was in, firstly I was amazed that it had became available so quickly and secondly of course I had the chance to purchase yet another watch of which I was hoping not to have to pay the money out yet (expecting it to take another year or so).

Its a beautiful watch but now I'm in the position of deciding whether to keep it (as I did not initially plan financially for it, I have the money but still paying out £17,000 approx in the last 3 months or so wasn't in the plan) but never mind if I want to sell I can make a profit or alternatively keep a stunning watch, it really is different when you see it in the flesh so to speak than looking at the photos, the dial and bezel stand out substantially so it actually looks like a really classy piece.

So there you go, they are available and they do come up but I still don't understand the process really (incidentally I've enquired with one watch dealer who will over £12,500 so nice profit) but if I sell then buy again maybe 3-4 years if my turn comes round again will due to price increases will we be back up to £13k by then, who knows?

Cheers
Clasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 05:30 AM   #57
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
I don't see many people on here using their relationships to "proxy" a purchase for someone else who they don't really know. These are things that destroy well built relationships with ADs.
You say you don't want to pay double list but I saw one recently on another forum for £14k so definitely not double.
You'll be unlikely to find someone on here willing to give you a golden ticket to a DaytonaC, so I'd either pay the premium, join lists and wait it out (and pay whatever the RRP is then), or find another watch.

Either way I do hope you get one as you seem keen
I have received three , two black one white. I have actually gifted one at list to a friend, But for someone to want a favour ?. I will be getting a additional white dial in the next few weeks and will move it on with a little premium. What happens when you source one ,Sell it at list and the buyer then sells it for 5k extra, Assuring you they won't ever sell it.

Lets be honest paying 3 k premium now may seem small change if you wait 5 years to get one and pay what ever list is then.

I know Gary has had two in the UK as well both black, He is waiting for a white and will get one soon,

TBH I am looked after because what he said was you support our business every year . All ready having a deposit on a Basel 2017 watch if it happens . Its only a watch but People are happy to pay a premium for, I think if you haven't got a working relationship with a Rolex AD ,you will have a very long wait because for sure someone will be infant of you.
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 05:39 AM   #58
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys, I was hoping that someone on the forums might have a good enough relationship with his or her AD to 'proxy' a purchase for me. I can't afford paying double MSRP for the DayC so I'll probably just let go of this one with the current situation. A bit ridiculous to be begging to spend money really if you ask me.
Not meaning to sound rude but I just don't see how anyone would do this for some random bloke on a watch forum with this particular watch, knowing firstly how hard it is to get and secondly the premium it's going for (I paid £8,250 and was offered £13,000 immediately - and no I didn't sell but I was asking for a price on my 116520 as I'd got the new one, but they immediately offered).

The way to get this from an AD is to have an established relationship and have bought a number of watches in the past, or to start establishing one now for the future. Might sound wrong to you but AD's are a business and businesses tend to look after good clients I.e. Those who spend.

As I said, I don't mean to sound rude but I'm being honest. I've read over 100 posts like this on the Daytona on various forums.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 05:40 AM   #59
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
Padi I am surprised to see you make this statement. Usually I see you sing such high praises for the 116500 as a technological marvel .

Pay the premium. There will probably be another price increase this year.
Amen to this! Ole Padi sure won't miss a chance to voice his lack of love for the Daytona
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2017, 05:51 AM   #60
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
I have received three , two black one white. I have actually gifted one at list to a friend, But for someone to want a favour ?. I will be getting a additional white dial in the next few weeks and will move it on with a little premium. What happens when you source one ,Sell it at list and the buyer then sells it for 5k extra, Assuring you they won't ever sell it.

Lets be honest paying 3 k premium now may seem small change if you wait 5 years to get one and pay what ever list is then.

I know Gary has had two in the UK as well both black, He is waiting for a white and will get one soon,

TBH I am looked after because what he said was you support our business every year . All ready having a deposit on a Basel 2017 watch if it happens . Its only a watch but People are happy to pay a premium for, I think if you haven't got a working relationship with a Rolex AD ,you will have a very long wait because for sure someone will be infant of you.
I have to say I don't understand your AD. I have a great relationship with my AD and have my white Daytona BUT he wouldn't supply me multiple versions of the same piece and I wouldn't ask!
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote