The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 November 2011, 01:12 PM   #1
diapers
"TRF" Member

Rolex Explorer 16570 - Which Series to get ?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and am on the brink of purchasing a pre-owned Explorer 16570 white dial. However I just need to seek some recommendations and opinions from the veterans here.

I have only ever owned Seiko, Citizen and Mont Blanc models, so reading through this forum on all the various specs and works of the various watches was certainly intriguing and exciting.

I would like to ask for your opinions on which series to get, that will be worth keeping for a long time, and eventually passing down to my baby son in the future. (I hope this wont be the only watch. )
Hopefully to eventually get a Pam24 and an IWC Portofino too.

Any idea if the 3185 movement series are still worth getting, and also your thoughts on single "swiss" and "t<25" dials.
The logical buy seems to sway towards getting an "M" or "Z" series.

All kind recommendations, feedbacks and opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance everyone!
Thank you for the time taken to read my thread.
diapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2011, 08:05 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diapers View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and am on the brink of purchasing a pre-owned Explorer 16570 white dial. However I just need to seek some recommendations and opinions from the veterans here.

I have only ever owned Seiko, Citizen and Mont Blanc models, so reading through this forum on all the various specs and works of the various watches was certainly intriguing and exciting.

I would like to ask for your opinions on which series to get, that will be worth keeping for a long time, and eventually passing down to my baby son in the future. (I hope this wont be the only watch. )
Hopefully to eventually get a Pam24 and an IWC Portofino too.

Any idea if the 3185 movement series are still worth getting, and also your thoughts on single "swiss" and "t<25" dials.
The logical buy seems to sway towards getting an "M" or "Z" series.

All kind recommendations, feedbacks and opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance everyone!
Thank you for the time taken to read my thread.
Well first Rolex has never made a series of any watches, all the letters numbers are its a case stamp.A serial number and a approximation by the various Internet codes when a case was stamped nothing more.The 16570 has not changed a lot since its introduction in 1988/9.One of the main changes was the switch from the Tritium dials TSwissT and >25 Swiss around 1998 to the Luminover lume dials.And till its was discontinued only mainly a few minor cosmetic font changes very late models had the slightly modded cal 3185 into the cal 3186 but no big deal either way.Some Internet hype collectors are willing to pay/charge extra for the ones with the cal 3186.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

what padi said, plus, i would add around 2000ish: switch to SEL's from non-SEL's, and from lug holes to non-lug holes.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2011, 08:24 PM   #4
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
In the P serial number range they sent to the solid end link (SEL) bracelet. I prefer the SEL. If you like lug holes, they went thru the mid Y series. After that SEL and no lug hole case. So for a lug hole fan and SEL you are restricted to late P, K to early Y. I actually prefer the no lug hole case.... I could go either way, but the nod goes to no lug holes.

The difference between the 3185 and 3186 is in the noise. The 3186 has a parachrom hairspring that is supposed to have better antimagnetic properties and reduced mass which theoretically should enhance efficiency. The jump hour hand is geared differently on the 3186 so it is a tad more exacting when you change the jump hour for the second time zone. The 3186 came in during the late Z series. Also introduced in late Z series is the ROLEXROLEX on the case next to the dial.

For a price to quality.....usually newer is better...... usually. The prices are lower on the Y, F, and D series... yet they are fairly new. So the price to quality slope drops fairly rapidly and then levels out.

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2011, 01:27 AM   #5
diapers
"TRF" Member

Thank you very much, padi, cru jones and George Ab for the opinions.

The reason why I'm asking is because on my search for a pre-owned 16570 as a daily beater, I have seen specifically the S, F, W, M and Z series. Having read from many of you on this forum, it seems that generally M and Z series are preferred due to the new parachrom hairspring.
Which is why I am in a slight dilemma if I should get a really early watch like made in year 1993, and continue to wear and eventually pass it on like a heritage kind of thing, and whether it will be a good but not necessarily important factor to hopefully in the far future have its sentimental/economical value increased.

The M and Z series as padi mentioned, being the later ones, command a higher premium, while the others are significantly lower.

The new parachrom hairspring as George mentioned does seem to keep time a lot better.

I would like to be DIY switching between leather straps and the original straps or maybe even jubilee, so maybe those with lug holes might be easier to manage.

So from the opinions so far, it seems like there's really no specific make that I should be looking out for, and it seems like that unless I'm really a fanatic with a love for details like example the new Rolex etching on the crystal glass, or the words "Swiss Made" specifically, on the dial, the older ones will also make sense to me.

The Z series one by George seems like a great choice!
Old 9 November 2011, 01:38 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Thank you very much, padi, cru jones and George Ab for the opinions.

The reason why I'm asking is because on my search for a pre-owned 16570 as a daily beater, I have seen specifically the S, F, W, M and Z series. Having read from many of you on this forum, it seems that generally M and Z series are preferred due to the new parachrom hairspring.
Which is why I am in a slight dilemma if I should get a really early watch like made in year 1993, and continue to wear and eventually pass it on like a heritage kind of thing, and whether it will be a good but not necessarily important factor to hopefully in the far future have its sentimental/economical value increased.

The M and Z series as padi mentioned, being the later ones, command a higher premium, while the others are significantly lower.

The new parachrom hairspring as George mentioned does seem to keep time a lot better.

I would like to be DIY switching between leather straps and the original straps or maybe even jubilee, so maybe those with lug holes might be easier to manage.

So from the opinions so far, it seems like there's really no specific make that I should be looking out for, and it seems like that unless I'm really a fanatic with a love for details like example the new Rolex etching on the crystal glass, or the words "Swiss Made" specifically, on the dial, the older ones will also make sense to me.

The Z series one by George seems like a great choice!
Once again Rolex have never made a series of any watch all the letters numbers are a serial number a approximation date when a case/clasp was stamped.And in general it will make little or no difference whatever hairspring is in the case.As with any movement its how its how well its regulated thats where the overall accuracy come from.Many vintage Rolex today still run to within a second or so a day.And to be called a chronometer they all pass the same Swiss test no matter whats in the case.And as long as any 16570 thats been serviced correctly in its life, there is no reason whatsoever it should not perform as well as any other 16570 that ever been made.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2011, 01:45 AM   #7
diapers
"TRF" Member

Noted with thanks padi.
Old 9 November 2011, 02:06 AM   #8
Puffy
"TRF" Member

See here, I'd get a V or older
Old 9 November 2011, 02:30 AM   #9
diapers
"TRF" Member

Thanks Puffy, great pictures.

The thicker markings look a lot better as compared to the thin IMO.
Old 9 November 2011, 02:31 AM   #10
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks Puffy, great pictures.

The thicker markings look a lot better as compared to the thin IMO.
Sure does

I bought my V serial in Singapore almost two years ago
Old 9 November 2011, 02:33 AM   #11
diapers
"TRF" Member

Nice !

Hope you liked Singapore.. and your Explorer
Old 9 November 2011, 02:38 AM   #12
diapers
"TRF" Member

There's a S series for $4000 SGD at my local forum.

The Z series are about $5500 at least.

From what padi observed, might be a waste of money since in terms of time keeping they might be similar.
So am considering if the other differences are worth the extra $1500 SGD.
Old 9 November 2011, 02:48 AM   #13
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
There's a S series for $4000 SGD at my local forum.

The Z series are about $5500 at least.

From what padi observed, might be a waste of money since in terms of time keeping they might be similar.
So am considering if the other differences are worth the extra $1500 SGD.

well, a big part of it depends on the actual state of the watches in question.....

but, all things being equal, including need for service and market "correctness" of the two prices (the Z series seems a tad high...assuming that's in USD?), then, the $1,500 gets you an approximately 5-year old watch instead of approximately 18 years, SEL instead of non-SEL, no lug holes instead of lug holes and the dial differences described above by padi (but not by puffy - again, puffy, great catch on the latest 16570 dials).

"waste of money"?....only you can decide.

oh, and good luck! it's a great watch.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2011, 03:15 AM   #14
Jolu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I/II
I know Padi here thinks focusing on minor details is ridiculous (), but I'd go for either one from A-series (with "SWISS only" luminova dial), or Y-series (last ones with lug holes and SEL). If you plan on changing straps frequently it's easier with lug holes, and who knows - 30 years from now some details might mean something.

“I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks”
- Daniel Boone -
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2011, 05:29 PM   #15
diapers
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the valuable insights.

The prices I stated are in Singapore Dollars (SGD) actually. Most are without boxes or papers but are in good condition like an average of 8/10, so the servicing cost will add up.

So its really the 2 opposite end of the spectrum for me now, to get the 1993 S Serial one at $4000 SGD, or $5500 SGD for the Z Serial.

I am so looking forward to getting the Explorer!
Old 9 November 2011, 06:18 PM   #16
Jolu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I/II
If the choice is between those two, I'd go for the Z.

“I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks”
- Daniel Boone -
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2011, 11:45 PM   #17
diapers
"TRF" Member

Okay fair enough
Old 9 November 2011, 11:57 PM   #18
diapers
"TRF" Member

Jolu, can I ask why the A/Y series for you?

T-dial has a nicer lume?
Old 10 November 2011, 12:14 AM   #19
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Jolu, can I ask why the A/Y series for you?

T-dial has a nicer lume?
Lug holes for bracelet changes
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2011, 01:08 AM   #20
dpkong
"TRF" Member

Watch: it!
since you're looking for a daily watch, at least get the ones with luminova dials. the tritium ones probably won't have much (if any) lume left.
dpkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2011, 04:18 AM   #21
Woody
"TRF" Member

Personally I would base my decision on condition - there are a lot of relatively recent watches that have been knocked around and some much older examples that have been well cared for and serviced. I would particularly look at the condition of the bezel which is prone to getting marked on the Explorer and the case/bracelet to make sure there are no major dings or deep scratches (light marks can be easily removed at service). I would also factor in the cost of a service by Rolex. Finally it is nice to have an example with box and papers as this will add to the history of the watch, particularly if you plan on handing it down to your son. I find old service papers/receipts etc fascinating......but then I don't get out much!!

Good luck with your search.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2011, 09:49 PM   #22
diapers
"TRF" Member

Finally got my Polar Explorer 2

Dear all,

Thank you for the valuable feedback and recommendations throughout my decision making.

I wish to update that I have finally purchased my explorer (Z-serial)!

Finally my 1st rolex, and its 1 with lots of history.

Thank you TRF and all the nice pals in here.
Old 25 November 2011, 10:07 PM   #23
diapers
"TRF" Member

Ay... How do I reduce the size in pictures, can't upload because they are too big. :S
Old 26 November 2011, 12:45 AM   #24
TuonoRider
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
Hey diapers -

Congrats on the purchase. I'm curious what made your decision.

I'm looking at an EXP II 16570 as well. There is one at my local watchmaker for $3675, but its 19 years old and completely serviced. The watchmaker is an authorized Rolex service repair and uses nothing but Rolex parts - he also gives 1 year warranty.

Seems steep for almost 20 year old wathc - am I off base? I think I need to keep looking, but like the idea of saving close to $1500 over something newer.
TuonoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2011, 01:25 AM   #25
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
For comparison I bought this F serial with box and papers (out of warranty but nice to have) for $3450.00 about 6 months ago. Deals are out there on the Forum and/or Timezone.

Also one other difference is the SWISS or SWISS MADE on the dial. SWISS was used for a couple years. I won't buy one withe SWISS (just don't like how it looks) but others SWEAR by them thinking maybe they could be sought after one day. I donno...

Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2011, 04:01 AM   #26
diapers
"TRF" Member

Thanks once again.

Tuonorider, I bought mine mainly because it's a fairly new series, circa 2007-2008 or thereabouts. Its the serial just before they included the chapter ring (which in my opinion is a good to have but not a must have), and it's with the logo etching.
That it also came with full original package aided me in my decision.

I paid $5,300 Sgd (1.3 Sgd to 1 usd)

My other option was a V series, purchased only this year Sept, with full set, with the 3186 movement and chapter ring at $5,800 Sgd.

Both were very good deals in my opinion, but I stuck to the Z series as I felt more comfortable with that seller which seemed more well versed and easily contactable.

I also felt that since the 3185 movement has served previous models well, as well as what Padi and a few other mates were saying, I shouldn't be too obsessed as I was before on the 3186 and chapter ring.

If you have already shortlisted on the serial, which will determine the dial and bracelet (assuming no modifications or changes done), you will have a better idea with what you can settle for.
What you can probably use to help you decide is the external and internal condition, which I had the aid of RSC, as well as if the full package being available matters to you.
Old 26 November 2011, 04:02 AM   #27
diapers
"TRF" Member

Mickey, I share your views, the 'Swiss' just didn't do it for me. :P
Old 26 November 2011, 04:04 AM   #28
diapers
"TRF" Member

Actually tritium dials are more functional IMHO, but they have a lifespan and supposedly can be hazardous though I doubt that.
Old 17 April 2016, 03:34 AM   #29
brad935
Banned

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone can help. What year(s) were the A serial number watches produced?
brad935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2016, 04:10 AM   #30
WristEnvy
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @watch.kakashi
Google is your friend. But I believe A serial number is 1999.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
WristEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote