The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 November 2022, 01:46 AM   #1
banderson55
"TRF" Member

Questions for 5512 Owners

I'd like to buy a 5512. I've thought about it for almost a year and I think that is the one for me.

I'm curious about the other 5512 owners out there- what did you look for when you bought your watch? Any red flags? Any special perks? Is it worth it to get the oldest one possible? What about the newest one possible?

Now that you own a 5512, when/how do you wear it? Original bracelet? Does anyone use a leather or a nato strap? Do you swim or dive with it? Do you wear it around the city? Does it feel more discrete or more flashy than a modern Rolex? Unfortunately, I won't be able to wear mine to work.

Thanks for the wisdom.
banderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2022, 01:52 AM   #2
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Not meant to sound flippant, but, dude, it’s a watch. That’s all. Wear it as YOU like. What difference does it make how someone you’ve never met wears his? It was designed for diving. Now that that horse is out of the barn, so to speak, and people buy them as non-diving watches these days, there are no rules.
That said, I would buy the one that is in the best condition for the period you prefer (gloss dial, matte dial, etc)
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2022, 02:31 AM   #3
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Not meant to sound flippant, but, dude, it’s a watch. That’s all. Wear it as YOU like. What difference does it make how someone you’ve never met wears his? It was designed for diving. Now that that horse is out of the barn, so to speak, and people buy them as non-diving watches these days, there are no rules.
That said, I would buy the one that is in the best condition for the period you prefer (gloss dial, matte dial, etc)
This ^
Old 2 November 2022, 02:35 AM   #4
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226G & 5513(1963)
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderson55 View Post
I'd like to buy a 5512. I've thought about it for almost a year and I think that is the one for me.

I'm curious about the other 5512 owners out there- what did you look for when you bought your watch? Any red flags? Any special perks? Is it worth it to get the oldest one possible? What about the newest one possible?

Now that you own a 5512, when/how do you wear it? Original bracelet? Does anyone use a leather or a nato strap? Do you swim or dive with it? Do you wear it around the city? Does it feel more discrete or more flashy than a modern Rolex? Unfortunately, I won't be able to wear mine to work.

Thanks for the wisdom.
Just a couple of thoughts…
  1. You’ll pay a premium for a 5512 versus 5513 all things being equal due to the certified chronometer rating.
  2. Early 5512 (circa 1959 - 1963) will/may have a radium for the hands, indicies, and pip on the bezel. You’ll have to determine the level of risk you are willing to take with a watch that is radioactive.
  3. I had a 1967 Submariner 5513 and wore it as a daily on a bracelet. However, I did not expose the watch to water.

Enjoy the hunt for your new 5512… it’s a good part of the fun!
mjolnir2thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2022, 07:02 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I think they are great watches, similar in many ways to a 5513 but much harder to find. You might want to do a dual search for both a 5512 and 5513 because you are much more likely to find a great 5513 than a great 5512 in a reasonable time frame.
Old 2 November 2022, 11:38 AM   #6
Johnny Crystal
"TRF" Member

Inherited my 5512. A daily wearer but would never take it in a pool etc. don’t think it’s flashy at all and I think it flies under the radar tbh
Johnny Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2022, 12:14 PM   #7
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

In general I've found well-worn vintage subs to feel much less flashy than modern
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2022, 11:16 PM   #8
Watcheric
"TRF" Member

I wear mine in rotation with my other vintage watches, but would not submerge it in water (though I doubt that is a problem). I think they are more expensive than 5513’s because fewer were produced (they were more expensive than 5513’s), not merely because they are COSC.
Watcheric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2022, 12:23 AM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I’m a longtime 5512 owner, but I bought it mainly because of the condition not that it had a chronometer-rated movement. If I were searching for a vintage no-date Sub, I would just look for the best-condition 5512 or 5513 I could find and afford.

Yes, the 5512 is rarer and considered cooler, whatever that means, but you need to decide whether you would be just as happy with a 5513. The look, minus a couple of lines of text, is identical to a 5512.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2022, 08:29 AM   #10
Filipão
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Personally, I would not pay more and lose the unbeatable simplicity of the 2 liner, but that's me...

Good luck on your hunt, @banderson55 !
Filipão is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2022, 11:18 AM   #11
Arnozerosix
"TRF" Member

You can have best of both world with a 2 lines 5512 ...
aside from the joke, mine is from 62 and it became my daily beater since i had it restored 4y ago.
it is certainly not my nicest watch but it has some magic and simpleness i really like.
Arnozerosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2022, 01:19 AM   #12
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnozerosix View Post
You can have best of both world with a 2 lines 5512 ...
aside from the joke, mine is from 62 and it became my daily beater since i had it restored 4y ago.
it is certainly not my nicest watch but it has some magic and simpleness i really like.
Agree - BUT be careful if you are going for an early 2 liner 'swiss' dial 5512 - some gilt 5513 dials have found their way into 5512's.... and it requires a lot of knowledge to spot them.
Well, give me all you got but not love"
DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS - Joe Jackson
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2022, 01:46 AM   #13
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
5512 is such a Beautiful watch and there is something special about wearing the less flashy vintage style.

On bracelet or strap as you prefer, the lugholes make for secure and easy swaps

Many obstacles to educate on with vintage
Condition as many have said
buy the seller
And know the radium dial may present service challenges