The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 December 2009, 05:57 AM   #121
kkwn98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
thanks Oleg! great info!
so now can i safely say that my Omega Speedy Pro 3570.50 has a Berguet movement

seriously, this is a great & informative thread, great timing for me as i have strated looking at hi-end watches for my next purchase. i'm now very intrigued about the JLC brand. i do like their Master Control Automatic watch

EDIT - Oleg, are you able to confirm if AP is still using the JLC modified 920 movement or have they moved onto a completely AP in-house movement for their Royal Oak watches? thanks.
Audemars Piguet still use the Jaeger-LeCoultre base calibre 920, which is designated the calibre 2120 by Audemars. They tend to be used in the more high end automatic Audemars timepieces, including their QPs.

One thing to bear in mind about the JLC calibre 920 - it was a collaborative design effort by Audemars, Patek and possibly Vacheron (not 100% certain about Vacheron). The actual manufacture of the calibre was by JLC. It's no surprise, since, for the longest time, JLC have always been known as the watchmakers' watchmaker. It's only more recently that they have put an emphasis on their own watches. However, they have always been an absolutely top-notch manufacture.
kkwn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 10:37 AM   #122
SCD
"TRF" Member

Given the technological precision available with modern manufacturing and the quality of care and materials used in all thse brands, I wonder it matters more which company will be able to provide more trusted, reliable and easily available service for the watch 10, 20 and 35 years from now.

I am relatively ignorant here, but for these considerations I've been impressed by what I've heard about the Rolex enterprise.
SCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 10:54 AM   #123
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkwn98 View Post
Audemars Piguet still use the Jaeger-LeCoultre base calibre 920, which is designated the calibre 2120 by Audemars. They tend to be used in the more high end automatic Audemars timepieces, including their QPs.

One thing to bear in mind about the JLC calibre 920 - it was a collaborative design effort by Audemars, Patek and possibly Vacheron (not 100% certain about Vacheron). The actual manufacture of the calibre was by JLC. It's no surprise, since, for the longest time, JLC have always been known as the watchmakers' watchmaker. It's only more recently that they have put an emphasis on their own watches. However, they have always been an absolutely top-notch manufacture.

thanks KK. great knowledge!

bumped into JLC website today and have signed up to their LeClub thingy

im very intrigued by those high-end watch companies these days. what is your view on companies like JLC, AP, Patek & VC with their "simple & basic" automatic pieces?
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 12:28 PM   #124
haakon59
"TRF" Member

AP movements are hand finished and well decorated, something which Rolex as a mass manufacturer doesn't do. The two brands are in completely different classes. Rolex has many advantages for the average person: reasonable maintenance rates and they make watches of good quality. AP is a watch company that makes elite, functional works of art and they test the boundaries in terms of establishing a wide range of functions for mechanicals. Rolex is interested in mass marketing and sells those models which maintain a high sales rate. Rolex is a quality brand still.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 12:46 PM   #125
1000ftSub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbux View Post
but AP movement is MUCH BETTER looking..
Well there can't be to much of a price different, the cheapest AP is what? around 15,000?
1000ftSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 06:59 PM   #126
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
Quote:

Superb info.

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2009, 12:58 AM   #127
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000ftSub View Post
Well there can't be to much of a price different, the cheapest AP is what? around 15,000?
You can get a number of them for around $10K.

It's pointless to compare Rolex with this. They are playing completely different games... (not my pics)

Old 9 December 2009, 01:54 AM   #128
kkwn98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
thanks KK. great knowledge!

bumped into JLC website today and have signed up to their LeClub thingy

im very intrigued by those high-end watch companies these days. what is your view on companies like JLC, AP, Patek & VC with their "simple & basic" automatic pieces?
esm, based on my experience of watches from JLC, AP and VC, I would say their "simple and basic" automatic pieces are outstanding. I haven't had any problems with the ones I own. I'm careful with them for sure, but no more careful than with any of my other watches. The only major problem with these three manufactures is that, even with their simple automatics, prices are spiralling out of control. Actually, that's not quite true; JLCs can still be had for realistic prices, although I fear they'll eventually go the way of Patek, VC and AP. Of course, it's horses for courses. Not everyone will like or appreciate their wares; but that's OK - that's why there are so many makes out there. There's something for everyone.
kkwn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2009, 02:36 AM   #129
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
esm, based on my experience of watches from JLC, AP and VC, I would say their "simple and basic" automatic pieces are outstanding. I haven't had any problems with the ones I own. I'm careful with them for sure, but no more careful than with any of my other watches. The only major problem with these three manufactures is that, even with their simple automatics, prices are spiralling out of control. Actually, that's not quite true; JLCs can still be had for realistic prices, although I fear they'll eventually go the way of Patek, VC and AP. Of course, it's horses for courses. Not everyone will like or appreciate their wares; but that's OK - that's why there are so many makes out there. There's something for everyone.
thanks again! great info
hopefully be able to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys early next year
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2010, 05:09 AM   #130
mpkRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO Jubilee
Like few people on this forum have already said it - It is relative and nothing is absolute. You saying Rolex is better me saying AP is better does not matter. It all comes down to parameters around which you build your definition of "better" and your perception about a watch being better.

I think for a price tag of $10K a daytona fits my needs of sleek design, mechanical time accuracy to some extent, chronograph feature, "Rolex" factor for the status symbol etc all of which make my definition of the best watch I can possibly own (important). That is because I know my limitations

At the same time I admire a AP and its complications but would never own one. If I had $10k to spend and all things being equal I would go for a Rolex. Its all relative my friend no matter who says what.

"Rolex is highly addictive. Please shop responsibly"
mpkRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2010, 06:15 AM   #131
frank gama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv rolex View Post
being handmade and in small fraction production doesnt mean to have a better movments. I think they are expensive cuz the small no. Produced thats it and ofcourse the high end but not sure of better movments

Rolex is mass produced with state of the art robotics. Apart from bring down costs this has the advantage of CONSISTENTLY producing reliable and accurate movements. Its a known fact that the percentage of Rolexes passing COSC testing the first time round is consistently higher then other brands including
"hand made high end brands". Yes the other brands do pass COSC but with lots of "tweaking" which again drives cost up. Expensive is not always better.
frank gama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2010, 06:22 AM   #132
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
Boats are money pits. In San Diego the war ships are always going for repairs, hulls need to be cleaned, engines overhauled etc.

I am really dumb when it comes to watches, however a Rolex watch is the best of the best in my opinion and I am in love with my vintage Rolex watch.
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2010, 07:17 AM   #133
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
The bottom line is watches are about personal preference. The Big 3 Swiss watches are:
Patek, Vacheron Constantin and Audemars Piguet. They are in a league of their own. the most marketed and well known Swiss watch is Rolex. As for me--I like them all--but have to admit nothing is like my AP ROO Rubberclad--it is the most unique and well built watch I own---but that is my taste. I must also add that when buying the Big 3--you are paying for the quality and exclusivity of a handmade swiss watch that you are not likely to see on a lot of folks. Again--to each is own--AP is not as well known as Rolex but it certainly is in watch worlds recognized as one of the best brands of all time. I must admit as I type this I am staring at my wrist as I am wearing my AP Rubberclad now.
AP ROO Rubberclad:
AP RC 1.jpg

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2010, 07:23 AM   #134
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
IWC are in that league as well, with a number of their movements. And of course there are gems from companies that you don't expect it from:

Old 23 February 2010, 07:25 AM   #135
HL65

IWC certainly is a top company as is Jaeger, and A Lange Sohne--it is just that the other 3 are considered the Big 3!! I have owned all of them--all bring a different style and quality of their own to watches.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 23 February 2010, 08:04 AM   #136
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
IWC are in that league as well, with a number of their movements.
IWC is a very fine company, with many superb watches. But I would never consider them the equivalent of Patek, AP, VC or Lange. I've owned 5 IWCs, and just my 2 cents, but IWC doesn't produce anything at the level of finishing or complexity of these... (not my images)

Old 23 February 2010, 08:11 AM   #137
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
everyone!

When comparing apples and oranges, and bananas, what are you really comparing, size, taste, color, etc, etc, etc .....

everyone, I enjoyed my stay!
snow_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2010, 08:13 AM   #138
Watch Professor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC; Sub Date
AP is a magnificent brand.
Watch Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2010, 08:14 AM   #139
HL65

No question boa2--I agree!!! The one watch that I owned that was at that level by another house was the Jaeger Master Tourbillon in RG--that was quite a watch.
JLC 1.jpg

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 23 February 2010, 08:15 AM   #140
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2 View Post
IWC is a very fine company, with many superb watches. But I would never consider them the equivalent of Patek, AP, VC or Lange. I've owned 5 IWCs, and just my 2 cents, but IWC doesn't produce anything at the level of finishing or complexity of these... (not my images)
It all depends on what you consider finishing and complexity of course (this is no shouting match, no contest. I will never engage in this. But there's so much more that never reaches the general public):

Old 23 February 2010, 08:20 AM   #141
HL65

Again--of those top 6 watch houses--all have masterpieces--no question about that. On average though--the Big 3 are the Big 3--Patek, AP and VC. I would also add that the overall lineup that A. Lange & Sohne boasts is up to that level. The other companies--IWC and JLC have a handful of awesome timepieces but also make watches that cater to the lower price range--which the Big 3 and Lange do not. In fact AP, Patek and Lange's lineups are almost entirely designed for the highend. Again--all of the companies make fine timepieces--as does Rolex for that matter--not to mention great movements.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 28 April 2010, 03:46 AM   #142
toddb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Xplorer 40
service costs for audemars

Quote:
Originally Posted by promethus View Post
You don't want to know the servicing cost for an AP ROO...........
Do you know how much to service a 15300 royal oak chronometer? could be the deciding factor for me, vs the new DJ 2 ....
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2010, 03:49 AM   #143
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
"Bah humbug....Rolex has the best movements."
Freddie Wilsdorf.
Old 28 April 2010, 04:52 AM   #144
Julian,Sea Dweller

Watch: TOG/SD/SUB/LANGE 1
I had an Audermars Piquet a few years ago it went back for repair at least 4 times in the space of 2 years , it kept stopping they even put a new movement in. My Rolexs have never stopped or let me down over 22 years .
Julian,Sea Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2010, 05:03 AM   #145
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
i am unqualified to comment on this topic; that being said, I wouldnt mind having an AP in my collection....everything I have read. and heard about AP is that it is among the best quality of watch makers- in a league with PP.

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
bewithabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2010, 05:41 AM   #146
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
It all depends on what you consider finishing and complexity of course (this is no shouting match, no contest. I will never engage in this. But there's so much more that never reaches the general public):

Definitely, no shouting here.

Though I've had this watch in my hands, and it is magnificent, it was--in my opinion--not at the level of these other brands...who also happen to have many watches in this realm. Again, just my opinion.
Old 28 April 2010, 05:42 AM   #147
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
Do you know how much to service a 15300 royal oak chronometer? could be the deciding factor for me, vs the new DJ 2 ....
I believe it's around $6-700...but confirm with the service center.
Old 28 April 2010, 07:55 AM   #148
Traveler

Rolex suits my needs and lifestyle just fine. Any other brand, no matter how expensive or esoteric just does nothing for me personally. I am brand loyal to Rolex..I just like the look, feel and tradition of a Rolexl...to each his own..but as for me,,you can keep the other brands with the long hard to pronounce names..
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2010, 08:06 AM   #149
toddb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Xplorer 40
dont shoot me !

Just got back from la jolla and tried on the A P 15300.....They had white face and the charcoal blue color ... Wasn't THAT impressed...They were lovely; for sure, but didnt Grab me enuf.... by the way, the white face makes it appear larger next to the darker face models, next to each other on display..... optical illusion !
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2010, 07:55 PM   #150
islandcouple
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RG Rubberclad
I am lucky I have 2 AP's, These are totally different watches, both are great brands, but I'm sorry to say the AP is the better watch. Oh and I have owned and still own a Rolex SD. But you have to be willing to spend at least $17 000AUD on an entry level AP RO.
islandcouple is offline   Reply With Quote