The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 March 2010, 11:26 PM   #1
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
Anyone has a Oysterquartz 5100?

A very interesting watch that no one really talks about.
Only a handful of these watches (around 1000 watches) were produced in the early 70's.

I'm curious to see if one of us has one of these beauties.
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2010, 03:21 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamone View Post
A very interesting watch that no one really talks about.
Only a handful of these watches (around 1000 watches) were produced in the early 70's.

I'm curious to see if one of us has one of these beauties.
Well many years ago now I did once own a 5100 and now regret selling it to go back to mechanical.It was just a fad at the time new quartz technology and something new age.And just had to buy it for technologies sake but I was
and still am a mechanical watch guy,its a great watch with quite a bit of early Swiss quartz history..But lets not forget the new quartz watch
onslaught with quartz watches from Japan nearly killed off the Swiss mechanical
watch industry back late 1960s 1970s.

And Pre Rolex own quartz movement there was about 16 Swiss companies involved in the development of the first Beta 21 quartz movement.And Bulova Accutron paid a high part in development of the step motor,the battery life then was around 12 months.And at this time Rolex could not alter the design of the beta 21 movement,to fit there Oyster case,so only stated the 5100 was water resist and not waterproof,now this was the first Rolex with ever with a sapphire crystal.Later they started around 1972 to develop there own movement,and the design was very still close to the beta movement,but now designed to fit a oyster type case.

The Thermo-compensated Quartz watches made by Rolex:

Caliber: Rolex 5035 (and 5055 for the Day-Date model)
Technology: single 32 kHz crystal using the forced constant frequency (TCVCXO) method
Annual accuracy: around ±60 seconds (Rolex has never stated an official accuracy specification.)
Rate adjustable?: yes, via trimmer condenser (user adjustable)
Watches that use this movement:

Rolex Oyster-quartz (1977 to 2001)

Note 1: We are unaware of any other watch using TCVCXO technology.
Note 2: While discontinued, we have heard that Rolex plans to introduce a new quartz movement with update technology and perpetual calendar. More can
Ref http://www.oysterquartz.net/

Selected Grand Seiko quartz model now these were very accurate quartz model but very expensive then.

Note 1: Seiko re-issued a limited edition of the "Astron" in 2000 that used a special version of the 9F movement that was rated to ± 2 seconds per year after adjustment.
Now certainly by the Japanese movement accuracy was much better than the Rolex movement
Note 2: The 9F movement is reportedly designed to run fifty years before it needs servicing.
Note 3: Other Grand Seiko quartz models use the 8J movement. Even less is know about this movement.
Source of information: Japanese retail sites

And just a little bit more its possible that the new Oysterquartz could be reborn 2010 Basil Show.

The Next Oysterquartz?

In 2004, an Oysterquartz watch was offered at auction by Antiquorum that looked like an ordinary 17014 stainless model with the white gold bezel. Upon closer examination, however, it was clear this watch was something unique and many wondered if it was a genuine Rolex. There was no reference number on the back of the watch where one would expect to see it engraved on a typical Oysterquartz. And the watch contained a heretofore unheard of 23 jewel quartz movement marked "5335" with a date function that employed a perpetual calendar mechanism that could be completely adjusted using the crown.

This mystery watch was never sold because it was pulled when Rolex told Antiquorum officials that it had been stolen from them. A civil lawsuit ensued in Switzerland between the owner of the watch and Rolex. Rolex lost this suit largely due to the testimony of former and current Rolex employees who testified that it was common practise for Rolex to dispose of prototype watches by giving them to employees. Also, the fact that Rolex had never reported the watch to the police as stolen didn't help their case. The publicity surrounding the trial served to confirm the authenticity and provenance of this watch and ensure its value as a collector's piece when it is eventually offered for sale again.

Prototype Oysterquartz Day-Date Perpetual Calendar

Thanks to a former Rolex insider (who no longer works for Rolex), I am able to confirm not only the existence of the Oysterquartz Perpetual Calendar, but give some details about this watch, which is without doubt the rarest Oysterquartz ever produced by Rolex.

Approximately eleven prototype Oysterquartz Perpetual Calendar watches were produced.

They were produced in Datejust and Day-Date versions.
All prototypes were encased in 17014 SS cases with white gold bezels.

No external reference numbers were engraved on the cases.

The movement used in the Datejust model was designated the 5335 and had 23 jewels.

The movement used in the Day-Date model was designated the 5355 and had 23 jewels.

The movement is silent, with no audible tic (a marked difference from the original Oysterquartz).

The perpetual calendar function of this watch was patented by Rolex: Swiss Patent number CH 672 222 G A3.

The 5335 movement used in the Oysterquartz Perpetual Calendar, the lack of a battery compartment,and a Rolex coronet on the gold battery contact.

Now don't forget there are quite a lot of mechanical parts in a quartz analogue watch.The same type drive train as in like say the cal 3035 less the balance and escapement and main spring.Its main spring is the battery and escapement the quartz crystal. And the quartz movement is more expensive than its mechanical brother if ever it needs replacing.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2010, 04:38 AM   #3
hhh007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
I love the look of that watch with its sharp case lines and that integral bracelet, similar to the later OQ's. I'd be proud to own and wear that baby!
hhh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2010, 09:34 AM   #4
Lamone
Banned

I would love to get my hands on one of these too.
Old 11 April 2010, 02:41 PM   #5
blueline994

Watch: 5100 Beta 21
I'm look at picking one up. I found a dealer that has one. Anybody have any ideas on what a fair price should be for a yellow gold 5100 with all it's papers?
blueline994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 08:54 PM   #6
Jackxv
"TRF" Member

Padi

Thanks Padi for the very good post.

Are there known pictures of the AQ OY?

Jack
Jackxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 11:46 PM   #7
Lamone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueline994 View Post
I'm look at picking one up. I found a dealer that has one. Anybody have any ideas on what a fair price should be for a yellow gold 5100 with all it's papers?
Very nice I would love to find a white gold 5100...

Please post picture if you get a chance.
Old 19 April 2010, 01:09 PM   #8
quickset
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex yacht II
Beta Quartz

Just to make things more interesting this is the only true numbered limited edition watch ever produced by Rolex. Also the very early models had a different totally unique bracelet that was only available in the low hundreds models,it was replaced with a bracelet with a hidden clasp.The Beta Quartz model was quite ahead of its time with a sapphire crystal and large case appx 39mm the head has a similarity to the modern day Day Date II in many ways. This model has no serial number merely the number stamped on the case 1 to 1,000.
quickset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2010, 03:46 PM   #9
Lamone
Banned

The OysterQuartz dial had a unique shape.
Here's an extremely rare dial for a white gold 5100 with Sultan Qaboos' name.
Old 26 May 2010, 05:21 AM   #10
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I once turned down for very little money. I thought it had to be a fake, this was at a time before the internet and there was just no way to research it on a timely basis.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote