The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 July 2011, 01:30 PM   #1
perpetualman88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
Which Watch Winder to Choose? Wolf Designs

Hey guys after getting my sub-c I want to get a watch winder for it and my day date whichever I am not using at the moment. I have decided to go with a wolf design watch winder but I am not sure which model would be best for my watches.

I can't deciding between the single windsor with the cover at $225, the viceroy 2.7 single at $299 , or the single module 4.1 also at $299.

Can anyone give me insights into these models I can not really grasp which one suits my needs based on the info on wolf designs website.

David
perpetualman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2011, 01:32 PM   #2
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
The best watch winder is your wrist. Wind it at least once a month, seriously if not being used let the watch sit. A winder is really not necessary.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2011, 01:38 PM   #3
perpetualman88
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
The best watch winder is your wrist. Wind it at least once a month, seriously if not being used let the watch sit. A winder is really not necessary.
perhaps this would be a better choice then. Also gives me inspiration to attain some more fine time pieces ha.

https://www.wolfdesigns.com/watch-bo...iece-watch-box
Old 22 July 2011, 01:40 PM   #4
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualman88 View Post
perhaps this would be a better choice then. Also gives me inspiration to attain some more fine time pieces ha.

https://www.wolfdesigns.com/watch-bo...iece-watch-box
Much better choice in my opinion. Watch box over a winder any day.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Omega 1120

Watch: Omega Seamaster
Get the Viceroy. It has a lot of rotation options :)
Omega 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2011, 02:38 PM   #6
victor

Watch: Rolex GMTc
I currently have a buben-zorweg winder with two heads, I have been using it for two years now and never have a single problem. They make some very nice ones, here is their website:

http://www.buben-zorweg.com/ecatalog/catalog_en.html
victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2011, 02:49 PM   #7
perpetualman88
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
I currently have a buben-zorweg winder with two heads, I have been using it for two years now and never have a single problem. They make some very nice ones, here is their website:

http://www.buben-zorweg.com/ecatalog/catalog_en.html
wow those look gorgeous
can you post pics of yours? i think they are out of my price range but some pics would be great!n
Old 22 July 2011, 04:24 PM   #8
sushisummo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hmmm......?
I have the Viceroy and love it. Like someone here already say, I like the option on rotation per day. That winder will cover any kind of watch.

WISHLIST: Too many to list......
Member #23367
sushisummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2011, 05:33 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualman88 View Post
Hey guys after getting my sub-c I want to get a watch winder for it and my day date whichever I am not using at the moment. I have decided to go with a wolf design watch winder but I am not sure which model would be best for my watches.

I can't deciding between the single windsor with the cover at $225, the viceroy 2.7 single at $299 , or the single module 4.1 also at $299.

Can anyone give me insights into these models I can not really grasp which one suits my needs based on the info on wolf designs website.

David
Save your money no fancy mechanical box is needed for any Rolex oyster watch,just let the watch you are not wearing rest.The only wear I want on my watches is while they are on the finest watch winder in the world. And believe it or not you have two already they are called wrists.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2011, 11:37 PM   #10
drgleeds37
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,PAM,etc..
Don't get the Wolf, they are built in China and can't be repaired if they break. I have a 3 year old 8 watch winder that cost $3,000 and only 2 winders still work. Wolf offers nothing to assist in repair or replacement. Poor product with poor customer service.

-Daniel
drgleeds37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2011, 10:47 AM   #11
tuonor
"TRF" Member

I would consider an Orbita (try ebay). I tried a Wolf recently and i) while I didn't have it long enough to opine on reliability it certainly doesn't have the fit or finish of other winders (see first pic below); and ii) the cup design where you affix the watch to a pillow then insert the watch/pillow into a deep recess is a problem for rubbing on straps (I'd hazard anything thicker than a croc strap).

In the second pic you can see the issue with a big strap like you'd find on a pam. This is a Europelli cut much thinner than a typical aftermarket deal so it can fit a deployant buckle but it won't go in without rubbing significantly. The RM in the third pic has a relatively thin rubber strap but it still rests on the outer ring when fully inserted and its like playing the game Operation to get it in without chafing the sides.

To be fair, the issue is getting the watch in as the entire cup rotates with the pillow/watch once its in. I should have tried my rolex in there, but you can infer even if it fits you need to be very careful every time you pull the watch in / out.

I've had a Orbita 6 head for 6-7 years now. All heads work today and the craftsmanship is truly furniture grade. Picked it up NIB on ebay for more than 50% off. If you go this route, I'd go for the older fully programmable style versus the Rotorwind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0534_800.jpg (268.2 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0535_800.jpg (233.6 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0538_800.jpg (200.6 KB, 183 views)
tuonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2011, 10:56 AM   #12
mjm800
"TRF" Member

I bought a double Wolf winder I like it but now the left winder is dragging and sometimes it just stops. There is no way to open it (without causing damage to the case) in order to see whats causing the drag and fix it.

I'm been thinking I don't really need a winder anyway I have four winders (three double and one single) for seven watches I like them for display I would rather them be in the winders so I can see them than in their boxes but I think I'm going to unplug the winders and wind each watch as I wear it.
Old 23 July 2011, 11:53 AM   #13
Ray T
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619 LB
i have 2 scatola del tempo winders (6 watches each) and 3 underwood modules, they can be had for like 80% off retail pricing for used. Excellent winders. the person i got one of the scatola del tempo winders from, had enough scatola winders for ~60+ watches i think
Ray T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2011, 12:26 PM   #14
perpetualman88
2024 Pledge Member

thanks for the great advice everyone. I think that i will just go with a nice watch case
Old 23 July 2011, 12:59 PM   #15
tuonor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray T View Post
i have 2 scatola del tempo winders (6 watches each) and 3 underwood modules, they can be had for like 80% off retail pricing for used. Excellent winders. the person i got one of the scatola del tempo winders from, had enough scatola winders for ~60+ watches i think
Ray, how tight are the Scatola winders in terms of cup design? I have thought about trying those as well, but the Wolf winders seem to be a cheap knock off of Scatola and I wonder if they have the same issue with straps clearance. I imagine at the very least your strap is contacting the finest leather as opposed to a plastic chrome ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Save your money no fancy mechanical box is needed for any Rolex oyster watch,just let the watch you are not wearing rest.
I am perhaps in the minority but I think winders are a fantastic complement to a collection (ie > 1). Like many things, its a convenience where the utility is a personal thing. I like being able to grab a watch at whim headed out the door; certainly my girlfriend would never wear her self winding watches if they weren't ready to go.

And while I get the argument that moving gears wear more than stationary gears, I haven't seen any real data or anecdotes on how much more a watch wears if its kept on a winder. I can certainly find posts of people who have cross-threaded the crown threads trying to reset the time. Any watchmaker types care to comment?
tuonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2011, 01:38 PM   #16
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Love my winder too. I had a Wolf and no issues whatsoever. Also have a Rotations brand (cheapie) about $350 from an AD full retail and it works great and has for the last 2+ years. IMO they are great to have, I 4 automatic watches and like to switch often so it is just easier. Get what you like, for a fee hundred bucks you cannot go wrong with WOLF
Old 23 July 2011, 02:52 PM   #17
mjm800
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuonor View Post

And while I get the argument that moving gears wear more than stationary gears, I haven't seen any real data or anecdotes on how much more a watch wears if its kept on a winder. I can certainly find posts of people who have cross-threaded the crown threads trying to reset the time. Any watchmaker types care to comment?
I agree there are pretty much two camps the pro-winder and anti-winder but neither side can prove their assertion that winders cause no harm or that winders do indeed cause harm.

Pro says movement is good it keeps things oiled and anti says would you keep your car running continuously?

I say it's your watch and if a winder makes you happy use it. Personally I love seeing all my watching spinning in unison...it makes me happy.
Old 23 July 2011, 03:10 PM   #18
turboevo2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT2C
I have 2 wolf winder the first one I had it for 4 years and it still works and the other one for 2 years and is still good.
turboevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2011, 03:36 PM   #19
Ray T
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619 LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuonor View Post
Ray, how tight are the Scatola winders in terms of cup design? I have thought about trying those as well, but the Wolf winders seem to be a cheap knock off of Scatola and I wonder if they have the same issue with straps clearance. I imagine at the very least your strap is contacting the finest leather as opposed to a plastic chrome ring.

I am perhaps in the minority but I think winders are a fantastic complement to a collection (ie > 1). Like many things, its a convenience where the utility is a personal thing. I like being able to grab a watch at whim headed out the door; certainly my girlfriend would never wear her self winding watches if they weren't ready to go.

The fit is excellent. Underwood is great too, they both use maxon motors. My hefty 116619 spins fine in the scatola with no issues.
Ray T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2011, 12:59 PM   #20
ncj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 16600
I have a winder from Brookstone that stopped working. When I took it apart, I found that I needed to purchase a new rubber belt. Now, the winder is working fine.
ncj is offline   Reply With Quote