The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2012, 09:13 AM   #1
Kafka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster
DateJust Vs Sub Durability Questions

Hello Everyone,

I’m a long time visitor, first time poster. I am looking at buying either the SS DateJust (116234) or Submariner (116610). My concern is durability. Keep in mind, I know the Sub is stronger and have done a lot of research into this matter. What I want is a real-life, situational comparison between the two; I’m leaning towards the DateJust, but don’t want to regret my decision with repairs.
I am rough on my watches (Omega Speedmaster Date, Constellation). I always knock them on doors, stairways, walls, cars, getting my hands dirty, etc. My Speedmaster Date received a noticeable dent its first week. I’m more or less your “hands on” academic; no floor drops here. I realize everyone will scream “Sub!”, but I’m leaning towards the DateJust and would like everyday examples (limits) that illustrate the durability of both.
My concerns with the DateJust: raised crystal susceptibility, softer case than the Sub?
My concerns with the Submariner: cerachrom bezel, clasp reliability (don’t want it flapping around because it got caught on a shirt or something)

Thanks
Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 09:17 AM   #2
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
It seems you life style is more suited to a sub

I hear the new clasp on the Sub-c's in great

Good luck !!
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 09:17 AM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Welcome to TRF.

How did you ever get the idea that the DJ was any softer than the Sub? Their both made out of the same grade of 904L stainless steel.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Other than slightly thicker case, crystal and case back and the triplock vs. twin lock crowns, the DJ is as durable as the Sub. the only difference is the ability to withstand a dive beyond 100 or so meters. otherwise, same SS steal and or 18K gold used for both.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I have always thought of the datejust as the dressy tool watch.
Old 29 March 2012, 09:21 AM   #6
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I would say the Sub's triple lock crown is tougher than the twin lock crown in DJ and the thick crystal to withstand the WR300M. Otherwise, as a daily wear, I would rate them to be equality tough.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 09:21 AM   #7
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Sub View Post
Other than slightly thicker case, crystal and case back and the triplock vs. twin lock crowns, the DJ is as durable as the Sub. the only difference is the ability to withstand a dive beyond 100 or so meters. otherwise, same SS steal and or 18K gold used for both.
The Sub doesn't use any thicker case, maybe taller, however it does use a thicker case back for waterproofness.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 29 March 2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Hello Everyone,

I’m a long time visitor, first time poster. I am looking at buying either the SS DateJust (116234) or Submariner (116610). My concern is durability. Keep in mind, I know the Sub is stronger and have done a lot of research into this matter. What I want is a real-life, situational comparison between the two; I’m leaning towards the DateJust, but don’t want to regret my decision with repairs....
Thanks
I believe that your concerns are unfounded.. The Sub has a few more seals for water pressure, but isn't any "stronger" than any other Rolex, including the DJ..

They both use the exact same movement, but the DJ does not have the fragile ceramic bezel insert..

Different watches for different purposes and either will last longer than you..
Old 29 March 2012, 09:23 AM   #9
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
I would say the Sub's triple lock crown is tougher than the twin lock crown in DJ and the thick crystal to withstand the WR300M. Otherwise, as a daily wear, I would rate them to be equality tough.

It's not a crystal difference on the Sub that gives it it's extra water protection it is the case back.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 29 March 2012, 09:25 AM   #10
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Both are extremely tough.

Rolex watches are legendary for their durability.

However if you bang or knock or drop anything into the right object or drop it from high enough anything would break.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 29 March 2012, 09:50 AM   #11
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Don't underestimate the durability of the DJ.....it's pretty darn tough!
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 10:11 AM   #12
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
They are both "tough" but bottom line drop either 2 feet on a bathroom floor and it will bust you watch. Don't use either as a hammer and both will outlast you.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 12:45 PM   #13
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200, 116610
I have both watches and bought the date just as my first and was suppose to be my only rolex and from the day I bought it I have been saving for a subc .. But I think if you are going to abuse then the date just because it will not stick as far out as the subc and I see the ceramic bezel braking easier then they think it will break..
Stonedcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 12:53 PM   #14
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Is this even a real post? Both watches are animals in comparison with mostly anything else out there. I'm having trouble responding in a reasonable fashion.

In terms of durability, unless you purposely abuse your watches, this is a non issue. Buy what you like and enjoy the process.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 12:57 PM   #15
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post
I have both watches and bought the date just as my first and was suppose to be my only rolex and from the day I bought it I have been saving for a subc .. But I think if you are going to abuse then the date just because it will not stick as far out as the subc and I see the ceramic bezel braking easier then they think it will break..
I have actually broken the ceramic bezel on a DSSD. They are tough as hell. I smashed it about as hard as possible to break it. I was working on my car and ratchet slipped off a stuck bolt and smashed into the engine block. I don't baby my watches and have hit my sub and DSSD hard many times. The bezel is much tougher than the old inserts. If you hit it hard enough to break a ceramic insert the aluminum insert would be destroyed.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 01:09 PM   #16
jawalsh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
I'm rough (swimming, sailing, working out, fishing)on my ss datejust and it's been going strong for almost ten years. I don't have a sub to compare it to, but I consider it to be a very durable watch. I would also consider it a dressy tool watch.
jawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 02:11 PM   #17
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
My first Rolex was a GMT (bought new in 1973) and I now have a 14060, along with others. My favorite Rolex is the one that got me interested in Rolex-- my father's tt TOG bought in the late 50's. He wore it everyday for almost every activity, and I've worn it the same way for even rougher outdoor activities. I don't wear it daily anymore because it gets rotated, but I expect to give it to one of my sons in the future.

IMO, any Rolex with an oyster case is tough enough for almost any normal activities, with the exception of diving. The toughness of a watch is not really related to the size or weight of the case, but rather shock absorption for the movement, watertightness, and general toughness of the movement. If you want a DJ, you will be buying a watch with a tremendous history as a sporty watch.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 03:56 PM   #18
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
I have actually broken the ceramic bezel on a DSSD. They are tough as hell. I smashed it about as hard as possible to break it. I was working on my car and ratchet slipped off a stuck bolt and smashed into the engine block. I don't baby my watches and have hit my sub and DSSD hard many times. The bezel is much tougher than the old inserts. If you hit it hard enough to break a ceramic insert the aluminum insert would be destroyed.
Yes, but the difference is cost to replace insert.
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 04:34 PM   #19
Adam K.
Banned

Watch: All the Oysters
Sub is no "tougher" than a DJ--just more water resistant, as many have pointed out, due to a thicker case back and a Triplock winding crown which has additional insulating elements compared to the Twinlock. Both crowns are extremely overengineered, though...and a Triplock will get you to the bottom of the Marianas Trench (same crown technology was used in the Deepsea Challenge watch) while the Twinlock might just get you down a measly couple hundred meters or more, if you can take it! ;)

Actually, in terms of knocking and banging, the Datejust MIGHT just be superior, as you don't have a rotatable bezel that could get jammed up, or a ceramic insert that might crack or chip if you whacked it hard enough on the right object. You could of course do the same to any sapphire crystal, but the point is still there.

The Sub is tough, and the Datejust is too. Just buy what you like best.
Adam K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 04:51 PM   #20
zhiunit
"TRF" Member

Watch: grandseiko sbgj001
honestly with rolex, get the one that u like....i never worry about durability when buying a rolex haha
-Grand Seiko SBGJ001
zhiunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 04:56 PM   #21
lance3197

as a general rule i say that sub would suit you more, it can be worn with a suit as well as a t-shirt while in my opinion the DJ doesn't look good with a t-shirt..........
lance3197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 05:25 PM   #22
snaggle

Watch: SubC, DJII, Omegas
The SUb would suit you more too, IMO. I always wear my sub for any rough situations, and can never wear my DJ for them. The ceramic bezel is really strong and it never gets scratched, unlike the bezel on my DJII... In that way they are stronger, but both I guess are equally tough however.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 06:42 PM   #23
rms
"TRF" Member

Watch: The one I have on
Hmmm,

I think both have the same caliber 3135 movement. Both are made of 904L SS. Both have Oyster bracelets. Except for being able to dive deeper than you'll probably ever go, they are pretty much the same in terms of durability. Try them both on and then go for the one that you like best on your wrist.
Old 29 March 2012, 06:48 PM   #24
rms
"TRF" Member

Watch: The one I have on
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
They are both "tough" but bottom line drop either 2 feet on a bathroom floor and it will bust you watch. Don't use either as a hammer and both will outlast you.
Hmm, probably true in most cases. I guess I'm lucky because I've dropped both my Milgauss GV and Sub on my ceramic tile bathroom floor and both survived quite will. The GV received a dent on the chamfer of a lug (which is unnoticeable unless you are looking for it) and the Sub survived without any additional damage (although it was already a well worn tool watch).

Anyway, just saying a 2-3 foot drop on a tile floor is not necessarily a death sentence for you Rolex. All depends I guess on how it lands.

Cheers.
Old 29 March 2012, 06:50 PM   #25
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
The Datejust will hold up well in any situation.

Sounds like this is the one you want. Go for it!
It will take anything! No worrries.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 06:54 PM   #26
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Hello Everyone,

I’m a long time visitor, first time poster. I am looking at buying either the SS DateJust (116234) or Submariner (116610). My concern is durability. Keep in mind, I know the Sub is stronger and have done a lot of research into this matter. What I want is a real-life, situational comparison between the two; I’m leaning towards the DateJust, but don’t want to regret my decision with repairs.
I am rough on my watches (Omega Speedmaster Date, Constellation). I always knock them on doors, stairways, walls, cars, getting my hands dirty, etc. My Speedmaster Date received a noticeable dent its first week. I’m more or less your “hands on” academic; no floor drops here. I realize everyone will scream “Sub!”, but I’m leaning towards the DateJust and would like everyday examples (limits) that illustrate the durability of both.
My concerns with the DateJust: raised crystal susceptibility, softer case than the Sub?
My concerns with the Submariner: cerachrom bezel, clasp reliability (don’t want it flapping around because it got caught on a shirt or something)

Thanks
As have been said already: In terms of durability both are durable. The weak point is the movement, that is equally durable (or not) when it comes to shocks. Both models use the same crystal, so the difference in pressure resistance relates to the thickness of the caseback, crown, and gaskets. Both models are dramatically overengineered, and unless you are into saturation diving both will go everywhere with you. (And if you do saturation diving you should get a Seadweller for the helium escape valve)

I've been wearing an Explorer 14270 for fifteen years, and it has the same case, crystal (without magnifying lens), crown and caseback as the earlier DJ 16200. The fixed bezel is slightly wider. The watch has seen and done everything I have done, including some very rough activities. I am currently wearing it.

Unless deep sea diving is your profession, I'd pick a fixed bezel watch all the time. The Explorer models are my all time favourites due to the legibility, look, and durability, but I also enjoy the Datejust and the Submariners. But - for me (this is personal, obviously) - I tend to think of the rotatable bezel watches as slightly more fragile, due to the bezel. I am not a diver, so losing the bezel due to banging it to something is the biggest risk for me (given my type of activities).

For me (and it is still very personal) - and this might sound crazy - the GMTs, and Submariners are for "looks". The Explorers are for rough activities. There is always an Explorer on my wrist when activities will be demanding (like the third skiing trip this year next week).

This said: It is not complicated to replace a lost bezel. Expensive perhaps (ceramic), but not complicated.

Good luck in your decision!

Best,

A

P.S. Don't forget to take legibility into consideration!

Edit: ... the 14060 is a pretty nice watch to give tough treatment... not only for "looks"... :-) So is a nicely banged up 16800 or early 16610... :-)

Last edited by acce1999; 29 March 2012 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: Second thoughts...
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 08:27 PM   #27
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

If you are not diving to below 100m then both should be tough enough on WR.

Now that is out, both are equally same in durability. If you like the DJ then it's as durable as the Sub taking account you life activity.
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2012, 02:41 AM   #28
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
For all practical purposes the SS DJ is just as tough as an SS Sub, except for the depth rating.

All the Oysters are tough, but some have ratings and features that make them more useful for certain tasks.

Pick the one that you like and has features that suit your own life.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2012, 03:38 AM   #29
77T

Get either and don't worry so much.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2012, 03:49 AM   #30
le_baroudeur
"TRF" Member

Same crystal thickness, same steel... just a matter of taste, for those time proof pieces!