The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 September 2012, 02:11 PM   #1
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...

Greetings TRF,

After waiting and thinking about it for a little while I've decided to make another review of a Patek Philippe watch, I hope you will find this one interesting as I am about to talk about a piece that I consider to be one of the all-time classics from the brand: the Patek Philippe 5146.

The case: With a 39mm diameter it is a tad on the bigger size side, a lot would agree that it is perfect since larger watches are very popular nowadays and it allows the owner to put this timepiece on his wrist to fit every attire and for a lot of occasions. Having tried similar cases myself and despite being a smaller watches enthusiast I can only agree with those people, the watch seems to have a lot of presence on the wrist but remains very elegant with its lugs smoothly coming out of the case, there isn't a single rough cut on this watch and that is what makes it a versatile and timeless piece.

The dial: Rather unique when compared to both watches with similar or different complications, the dial is filled with information! The annual calendar is displayed in a quite original way that makes me want to nickname that watch the inverted calendar. Days and months being displayed in windows while a hand is showing the date on a wide selection of other models in a whole lot of different brands, I find it nice to see that Patek has been able to make this timepiece look different (mind you, I used to be a tad skeptical but after looking at it for months I couldn't find a way to say I didn't like it, I just had to get used to the original look and now I must say I just love it). Worst case scenario, some people may find the dial too busy but I do not agree with them, the days and months registers look clean enough to make this watch look quite dressy as well and not over the top, I think it has just the right amount of writing on the dial to avoid making it hard to read the time (if I may be a bit rough, I would say that I like this one much more than the 5140's dial which is, in my humble opinion, one I would describe as too loaded and busy). As for the date, perhaps the most useful information in this watch after the actual time, I think its position on the sixth marker is just perfect, it makes it very easy to notice when one just wants to know the actual date without any details. I am not going to talk about whether the moonphase indicator is useful or not but it does add a lot to the symmetry of the dial and, in my humble opinion, it completes the whole calendar very well. One can also only love the power reserve indicator right under the twelfth marker, nothing too fancy, no horn shaped design, just two little markers and a small hand that let you know about the power remaining in your watch in a very subtle way.

The hands and markers: Another forte of this watch, a lot of the contrast between the sporty and the dressy look of this watch relies on those. The long and slim hands are quite easy to notice (even on the complications) and look very elegant, as do the stick markers. However, the great contrast is made with the presence of both the lume dots and lines on the hour and minute hands and the arabic numerals placed at the third, the ninth and the twelfth markers. Their round shapes look very classy and they make the dial look less plain and simple. I've been thinking about the possibility to see this watch with a small second hand placed on the moonphase indicator but I have the feeling it would be the thing that would make the dial look too busy, surprisingly the large center sweep one looks very subtle and makes the watch look more clean.

The movement: The case holds Patek Philippe's Caliber 324 S IRM QA LU. Along with the complications described above, this movement makes 28 800 vibrations per hour and will work for a maximum of 45 hours when not worn. I personally love the fact that it looks more open than a lot of other movements I've seen from Patek, it is much more interesting to look at through the sapphire crystal case back despite the presence of a large centered rotor (I usually prefer the mini ones but its original shape, the same as the other models from the brand, makes that piece of 22kt yellow gold look great).

The different models: I didn't write a similar section for my other reviews because the watches I've written about so far were all unique models, however I must cover that part because the 5146 is very special for that. As some of you may have noticed I didn't add any letter next to the reference number in my thread title and this is because there are just so many different models. Here are pictures of the currently available ones.

5146G-001

5146G-010

5146J-001

5146J-010

5146P-001

5146R-001

5146/1G-001

5146/1G-010

5146/1J-001

As you can see, whether you prefer your watch on a bracelet or a band, no matter what's the case, the bracelet or the deployant clasp material you like the most, there is a 5146 for you! The wide selection of different models for this particular reference is simply impressive and it makes me wonder why this timepiece isn't much more popular. I am usually not the biggest fan of complicated Patek's on bracelet but I must admit that ever since I started to look at them the 5146 (especially in yellow gold) has been the only one I found truly amazing. The dials make it even easier for one to choose a watch depending on his tastes since all of them (except the rose gold and platinum models) are available with a bright and a dark one. Not only is this piece versatile as a piece of useful jewelry worn with different clothes but it is also versatile as a model available in a very big collection!

As for the bands, they chose very wisely! It seems like I can't even find a single model from the ones above that would have looked better with another type or color of leather!

Overall: Again, I am surprised that this piece isn't being shown more because, to me, it is one of the current models that truly represent Patek Philippe. We've seen a whole lot of those gold dress watches with calendars and moonphase indicators ever since the brand got created and the look has always been associated with an impressive masterpiece of horology. To me, the 5146 is one of the current models I would definitely consider a classic: it reminds us of the vintage complicated watches we now see being sold at auctions for hundreds of thousands of dollars while fitting perfectly in a line that wants to perfectly associate elegance and casual looks.

Now I know this was probably painful to read but here is a gift to those of you who have been able to make it all the way to this sentence: pictures!

Thank you for reading, feel free to comment!
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
An excellent review Carl

The 5146 is a great looking timepiece. I encountered it first hand a few weeks ago and was impressed by its look, feel and quality. The colour of the dial was very unique and absolutely mesmerizing! Not sure what the name of the color is, but it looks like ivory or something.

The AD sales person mentioned that as of late the 5146 has become increasingly popular amongst watch enthusiasts as this was one on the best "value for money" PPs around, as it had all the hallmarks of the legendary brand,including the moonphase.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346579087.336426.jpg
Old 2 September 2012, 08:19 PM   #3
caryyee
"TRF" Member

Alex, where did you find that one? The 5146 apparently not an easy model to find in an Australian AD ...
caryyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 08:20 PM   #4
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Great review Carl and a great watch!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
You are correct Cary, so hard to find anything in Australia...it was in Honolulu.

I was in PP heaven....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346582326.022853.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346582339.025364.jpg
Old 2 September 2012, 08:51 PM   #6
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I agree, great watch, would love to own one.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Puffy
"TRF" Member

great review... agreed the 5146 is a classic among classics..
Old 2 September 2012, 08:56 PM   #8
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
My next one I think 5146/1G-010.
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 09:15 PM   #9
caryyee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Cristo View Post
You are correct Cary, so hard to find anything in Australia...it was in Honolulu.

I was in PP heaven....
Ah, that explains it! I was in the Hour Glass the other day (again lol!), and was trying on some PP's ... they were saying the 5146 is the most affordable annual calendar and hence is very much in demand and is very very hard to find new at an AD, whereas annual calendars in the higher prices ranges, even combined with a chronograph, are fairly easy to obtain (they had several chrono annual calendars in stock, can't remember the model numbers, but the same as SteelerFan65 owns).
caryyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2012, 10:17 PM   #10
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Thank you gentlemen! I always find it nice to write those want-to-be reviews and am glad you like them.

Quote:
An excellent review Carl

The 5146 is a great looking timepiece. I encountered it first hand a few weeks ago and was impressed by its look, feel and quality. The colour of the dial was very unique and absolutely mesmerizing! Not sure what the name of the color is, but it looks like ivory or something.

The AD sales person mentioned that as of late the 5146 has become increasingly popular amongst watch enthusiasts as this was one on the best "value for money" PPs around, as it had all the hallmarks of the legendary brand,including the moonphase.

Attachment 310780
If memory serves I believe the website describes this dial as cream. That timepiece is indeed quite fabulous and you're right about the fact that it's rare. The funny thing is that I went to Montreal's only Patek dealer and have seen, I believe, two 5140's but they didn't have the little brother. One would think the perpetual calendar would be more rare.

Quote:

I was in PP heaven....

Attachment 310785

Attachment 310786
Beautiful pictures!

- André Fortin
Old 3 September 2012, 12:27 AM   #11
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Thanks for your in depth review of the 5146...

You are right, there are just many 5146 combo out there, but it is getting harder to find.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2012, 01:00 AM   #12
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
Its what a Patek should be...
horseco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2012, 08:15 PM   #13
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Wow, great review Carl
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2012, 08:23 PM   #14
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

good stuff, carl.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2012, 09:17 PM   #15
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Great read Carl.

This is actualy the first Patek that caught my attention.

I just thought the Moon Phase was so wonderful looking.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2012, 12:50 AM   #16
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Carl, great review as usual. Now I have another patek reference to obsess about.
Demonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2012, 03:18 AM   #17
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

thanks for your hard work! nice post!
I love the 5146 as its an updated case for the Patek Annual Calendar..
I love it in the Platinum with the grey dial..wow!

is this piece being discontinued? I may be wrong...
Old 5 September 2012, 04:28 AM   #18
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Thank you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Great read Carl.

This is actualy the first Patek that caught my attention.

I just thought the Moon Phase was so wonderful looking.
Wonderful looking indeed, I believe it is probably the first piece that caught a lot of people's attention as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonoid View Post
Carl, great review as usual. Now I have another patek reference to obsess about.
Please accept my sincerest apologies for that my friend...

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocwatching View Post
thanks for your hard work! nice post!
I love the 5146 as its an updated case for the Patek Annual Calendar..
I love it in the Platinum with the grey dial..wow!

is this piece being discontinued? I may be wrong...
Thank you! I see this more as a hobby than hard work but I appreciate the thought!

I don't believe this timepiece is going to get discontinued, perhaps I am the one who's wrong but I didn't hear about such news.

- André Fortin
Old 5 September 2012, 07:28 AM   #19
jim251
Banned

First of all, thanks Carl for a fine write-up on the 5146 models. I couldn't agree more on what a beautiful and quintessential piece it is. I personally experienced love at first sight with it and looked on as it triumphed in every this.v.that cage match I mentally entered it in. In any flavor, it's a beauty.

Then I purchased it, a 5146G-010, and things changed.

I only owned it for 3 weeks and never even put it into rotation, since I was waiting on a shorter strap that was back-ordered. During those 3 weeks I regularly got it out to go ooh and aah but slowly came to some conclusions that became a sizable, collective letdown.

To me the watch is definitely more dressy than sporty - not good for me (and the reason I shied away from the YG or RG models.) It also wore smaller to my eyes than its 39mm, adding to the dressiness. The slate dial I was convinced would rock but turned out to be a lighter and softer gray than any photo I had ever seen. Combine this with the WG markers and I thought legibility was just not up to par - kinda like getting MONO when you wanted STEREO. The lume, although not really important, is laughable - 15 minutes tops.

And then there was the strap. I just don't know how PP could make bracelets that are sooo perfect and the make a strap/deployant combo that is so visually wrong with the tongue pointing right back at you and uncomfy with the deployant being L-shaped and conforming to your wrist in one way and one way only. I tried every solution short of aftermarket (IMO no-way on a PP) and found no joy. The short strap didn't help and was actually worse.

So there I was, full of angst over a watch that if I just held it in my hand and stared, the watch took my breath away.

Since I hadn't worn the watch I was fortunately able to unwind the transaction. My double good fortune was the timing coincided with being offered the 5726/1A, a watch I am truly thrilled with.

So, live and learn. I hope my data points help someone is some way. That's what the forum is about, right?

Here are 2 pics that I never posted, as I wouldn't ever post a pic of a watch I didn't still own...

jim251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2012, 09:16 AM   #20
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim251 View Post
First of all, thanks Carl for a fine write-up on the 5146 models. I couldn't agree more on what a beautiful and quintessential piece it is. I personally experienced love at first sight with it and looked on as it triumphed in every this.v.that cage match I mentally entered it in. In any flavor, it's a beauty.

I only owned it for 3 weeks and never even put it into rotation, since I was waiting on a shorter strap that was back-ordered. During those 3 weeks I regularly got it out to go ooh and aah but slowly came to some conclusions that became a sizable, collective letdown.

To me the watch is definitely more dressy than sporty - not good for me (and the reason I shied away from the YG or RG models.) It also wore smaller to my eyes than its 39mm, adding to the dressiness. The slate dial I was convinced would rock but turned out to be a lighter and softer gray than any photo I had ever seen. Combine this with the WG markers and I thought legibility was just not up to par - kinda like getting MONO when you wanted STEREO. The lume, although not really important, is laughable - 15 minutes tops.

And then there was the strap. I just don't know how PP could make bracelets that are sooo perfect and the make a strap/deployant combo that is so visually wrong with the tongue pointing right back at you and uncomfy with the deployant being L-shaped and conforming to your wrist in one way and one way only. I tried every solution short of aftermarket (IMO no-way on a PP) and found no joy. The short strap didn't help and was actually worse.

So there I was, full of angst over a watch that if I just held it in my hand and stared, the watch took my breath away.

Since I hadn't worn the watch I was fortunately able to unwind the transaction. My double good fortune was the timing coincided with being offered the 5726/1A, a watch I am truly thrilled with.

So, live and learn. I hope my data points help someone is some way. That's what the forum is about, right?

Here are 2 pics that I never posted, as I wouldn't ever post a pic of a watch I didn't still own...

AWESOME lume shot...great photos..and I am sorry that the 5146 didn't sing to you..

and thank you for the contranian view of this piece...

How about some photos of the 5726?
Old 5 September 2012, 09:55 AM   #21
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Jim,

It has been a pleasure for me to write that little review, I'm glad you like it. To be honest the Patek reviews I write aren't always the best to make an opinion because I am reviewing timepieces I haven't always seen in the wild and I am giving my opinion much more than an actual and precise review. Those posts of mine are much more for fun than anything else but everybody is more than welcome to give their opinions about them and chime in.

...This is where you come in! I am truly glad and grateful you took the time to give us an actual review and your honest opinion about this timepiece. Mind you, I am still in deep love with it and, obviously, I will have to try it on someday to see if I fully agree with you or not but it was very interesting to read your point of view, we can get an idea of the things you want to see and have on a timepiece and it is great to read different opinions on such a subject (the size and the look of the watch for instance, I must say I wear a 35mm gold watch on a leather band with jeans and a t-shirt so my version of casual isn't always quite the same as others, I'm glad you didn't see it that way and told us about the much more dressy aspect of this watch).

I'm sorry to read you haven't been able to enjoy this watch! As we always say, different strokes for different folks and I'm sure you are thrilled with your 5726! In the meantime people who are considering this watch will have quite a read to help them make up their minds a little bit (at least I hope, I think your review is much more useful for a potential future owner).

Thank you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim251 View Post

- André Fortin
Old 5 September 2012, 05:51 PM   #22
patrike
"TRF" Member

Watch: The sun go down.
jim251>> AMAZING pics! :)
Old 5 September 2012, 10:31 PM   #23
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Very thoughtfully written review, Carl

The 5146 is imo a true PP classic.

It was the first Patek that I bought and I had the honour of owning both the J & G, but I would have liked to have gotten the P.

Awesome lume shot Jim.
Old 6 September 2012, 02:22 AM   #24
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat30093 View Post
Very thoughtfully written review, Carl

The 5146 is imo a true PP classic.

It was the first Patek that I bought and I had the honour of owning both the J & G, but I would have liked to have gotten the P.

Awesome lume shot Jim.
Thank you Tony, I do remember seeing your two beauties in other threads and always found them very nice indeed!

...Of course, I kind of preferred the J reference but that's just me!

- André Fortin
Old 6 September 2012, 04:25 AM   #25
Preacher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex of course
Thanks for the review. The 5146P with slate grey dial and grey strap is my favourate PP!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote