The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 December 2012, 03:10 PM   #1
deac2010
"TRF" Member

Icon20 GMT Master II (Unique GMT Hand Setting Problem)

Just purchased my first Rolex - a SS GMT Master II. I am running into some issues setting my watch time correctly. Now I know there are plenty of threads about how to set them up but the problem I am having is not one that I have seen on threads/websites.

Problem:
I live in San Francisco (Pacific Time -8). I do a lot of business with India and want my GMT reference time to be Indian Standard Time (+8.5). The problem is that Bezel only moves in one hour increments AND the minute hand and the GMT hand are not independent.

Does anybody have ANY idea/suggestion?

Thanks for your help.
deac2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2012, 03:17 PM   #2
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Unfortunately the gmt doesn't support half hour increments - not many watches do.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2012, 03:26 PM   #3
deac2010
"TRF" Member

Hm.. that sounds like quite a large flaw - definitely not something the Rolex Salesman told me.
Old 9 December 2012, 03:32 PM   #4
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
It could be worse - Nepal is offset by 15mins. Most people set it to the nearest hour and remember to +/- 30 min. No big deal.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2012, 03:33 PM   #5
MatthewInSeattle

Watch: Chronomat 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by deac2010 View Post
Hm.. that sounds like quite a large flaw - definitely not something the Rolex Salesman told me.
Not really... of all the countries in the world, only 3; Iran, India, and Nepal are offset by a matter of minutes instead of simply changing the hours. The rest of the world offsets GMT time by a matter of hours instead of hours and minutes.

Unless you specifically asked if there'd be an issue with using it for Indian time, then is it really the AD's job to assume you're working with one of those three nations that doesn't conform to the standard offset?

Even if the minute and GMT hand were independent, you would need a second minute hand to incorporate the minutes with the GMT time.

My personal suggestion, would be to look at something like a Breitling Aerospace/Chronospace or an Omega SpaceMaster if you need something that will accommodate the unusual offset. Most mechanical watches aren't going to incorporate this additional function.

Last edited by MatthewInSeattle; 9 December 2012 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Tired... damn typos
MatthewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2012, 03:37 PM   #6
deac2010
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewInSeattle View Post
Not really... of all the countries in the world, only 3; Iran, India, and Nepal are offset by a matter of minutes instead of simply changing the hours. The rest of the world offsets GMT time by a matter of hours instead of hours and minutes.

Unless you specifically asked if there'd be an issue with using it for Indian time, then is it really the AD's job to assume you're working with one of those three nations that doesn't conform to the standard offset?

Even if the minute and GMT hand were independent, you would need a second minute hand to incorporate the minutes with the GMT time.

My personal suggestion, would be to look at something like a Breitling Aerospace/Chronospace or another Omega SpaceMaster if you need something that will accommodation the unusual offset. Most mechanical watches aren't going to incorporate this additional function.
If the Minute and the GMT had were independent, I could set the GMT hand to the whatever I would like - even a 30 or a 15 minute offset.
Old 9 December 2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
If the Minute and the GMT had were independent, I could set the GMT hand to the whatever I would like - even a 30 or a 15 minute offset.
Not really.. Minutes are always read off the inner dial.. It doesn't matter where you set the 24 hour hand, even if it was independent, it isn't going to change where the minute hand points.
Old 9 December 2012, 03:59 PM   #8
MatthewInSeattle

Watch: Chronomat 44
@Deac2010
Which would also require another crown position, and (I'm guessing) some intricate re-working of the setting mechanism.

I can understand that it may be a frustration for you personally, but in the scheme of Rolex's worldwide operation, the GMT Master, Explorer II, and Sky Dweller function perfectly well for the other 24 times zones and 150 some odd countries on the planet.
MatthewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2012, 04:06 PM   #9
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
And it doesn't work for me in South Australia and don't forget that those non 1 hour offsets do represent a huge chunk of the worlds population.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2012, 04:22 PM   #10
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Interesting because I thought Rolex was popular in India. And if you reside there the problem is worse; you are off a 1/2 hour from practically every other time zone in the world.

Maybe there's an app for your phone that would give you what you need. I'd also imagine there is an inexpensive digital watch with two read-outs that you could set for the exact time in India.

In any event, this isn't something lacking in only the Rolex GMT. I wouldn't call it a flaw though, and certainly not a large one. Sounds more like a flaw with India - come on you guys, get with the program over there.
T. Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2012, 04:23 PM   #11
HRV
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
Sorry for you OP, but interesting none the less
HRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2012, 04:51 PM   #12
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Sounds like you should look for a combo digital/analog watch.
Old 9 December 2012, 05:18 PM   #13
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Quote:
Hm.. that sounds like quite a large flaw -
I think you should put things in perspective.
Old 9 December 2012, 10:44 PM   #14
Czechman
"TRF" Member

Watch: See my signature
I just use the clock on my iPhone.

19019, 19018x3, 17000x2, 16570x2, 16220, 5700, 1501, 6564, 16030, 16710, 16610

Czechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2012, 11:34 PM   #15
Chumpey
"TRF" Member

This is not how the GMT was designed to function. You leave the 24 hour hand on your home time and adjust the minute and hour hands to local time. The intention was to help counteract the effects of jet lag for pilots by giving them a reference to the time back home.

If you had bought an older model, like a 16710, the bezel moves in much smaller increments, so you'd be able to adjust for half hour differences just using the 24 hour hand.

As has already been mentioned: you'd have been better off buying something with a totally separate time readout/dial to the main one. I'd be interested to know actually if watches like the JLC Master Geographic include Indian time, anyone got one?!
Chumpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 04:06 AM   #16
deac2010
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the responses. Because I am constantly on calls with India - I dont even need to use an app on my phone :). It would have just been good to have.

@Chumpey, I agree - if the bezel moved in 30 minute increments rather than 1 hour, this would not be a problem.
Old 10 December 2012, 04:57 AM   #17
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
I would think if you do that much business in India, you could set your GMT hand or hour hand to Indian time, and by looking at your minute hand know you’re either 30 minutes early or late and adjust your business accordingly. Shouldn’t be that difficult.

As mentioned, why should Rolex design a GMT watch for the three countries that don’t conform to the time standards of the rest of the world and which I would guess that only .0001% of the total population of all three could afford!
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 06:12 AM   #18
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
There is no standard to have a timezone offset by whole hours. There are at least 10 countries that have offsets that are not like that, parts of Canada and Australia to mention a couple.

The GMT Master is just not designed for handling the non-whole hour timezones, so if you live in for instance Adelaide and need that functionality, get something else.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 07:16 AM   #19
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Easy solution to the OP's specific problem/situation would be a double dial watch.
Old 10 December 2012, 07:23 AM   #20
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:

My personal suggestion, would be to look at something like a Breitling Aerospace/Chronospace or an Omega SpaceMaster if you need something that will accommodate the unusual offset. Most mechanical watches aren't going to incorporate this additional function.
To add to your list Venezuela is also on a 30 min. time zone as of some years ago.
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 07:35 AM   #21
MYK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: @kuwaitinglist
Quote:
Not really... of all the countries in the world, only 3; Iran, India, and Nepal are offset by a matter of minutes instead of simply changing the hours.
I'm sure they have Ads there, I wonder if they sell GMTs.
SEVENFRIDAY
MYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 08:48 AM   #22
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
I don't know how the bezel is on a ceramic GMT but the bezel on the 16710 GMT clicks 10 times between hours so you could set the bezel as needed.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 09:34 AM   #23
Speed
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a workaround Bill
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 09:47 AM   #24
Chumpey
"TRF" Member

Well, you can always jack it in for an older style GMT. The bezel moves in much smaller increments. Means you'd have to give up the ceramic bezel and updated clasp (although you could fit one) but you'd have a better suited watch to your needs.

Plus you'd gain the option of three different bezels to chose from!

My pepsi comes home from the spa tomorrow, can't wait to have it back!
Chumpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 10:05 AM   #25
GEO_79
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Polar
If you can afford this one( Jaeger-LeCoultre Duométre Unique Travel Time ) this is the watch for you
GEO_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 10:07 AM   #26
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
I don't know how the bezel is on a ceramic GMT but the bezel on the 16710 GMT clicks 10 times between hours so you could set the bezel as needed.
The bezel on the ceramic moves in one hour clicks, but that's not the problem. The problem is the minute hand. I suppose if the bezel moved in 1/2 increments it would be useable, but you would have to gauge the exact time just from looking at the bezel and where the 24 hour hand is between hours. Personally, I always use the minute hand - I read the hour on the 24 hour hand and the minutes off the minute hand.
Old 10 December 2012, 10:09 AM   #27
Shikar
"TRF" Member

I have solved your problem, and now I finally know why we have 2 wrists.....

Regards.
Shikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 10:20 AM   #28
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbondOO7 View Post
I think you should put things in perspective.
IN CAPITAL LETTERS.
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 10:31 AM   #29
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
If the half hour thing really matters, you can get a watchmaker to remove the GMT hand and place it back on half an hour offset from the normal time. It'd be always half an hour offset from that point on but if that's what you need it would work.
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote