The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 December 2012, 02:30 AM   #1
Mike1066
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
DRSD vs. Great White - Comparing Rarity?

Gents:

Quick question out there - does anyone know how many DRSDs there are compared to Great White 1665s? I know that, of the three 'standard' (i.e., non-Comex, non-Omani, etc.) 1665 Sea-Dwellers, Rail Dials are the rarest. However, does anyone know the rough # of DRSDs compared to # of Great White 1665s?

Thanks for the help.

V/R

Mike
Old 10 December 2012, 04:59 AM   #2
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

this might help http://doubleredseadweller.com/
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 05:53 AM   #3
Mike1066
"TRF" Member

Based on my brief research today on some of the well known sites, it looks like the DRSD was made from Serial numbers 1.7 million to 5.7 million, meaning that ~4 million were produced. Then, the so called "Rail Dial" Sea-Dweller was produced from serial number 5.7 million to 6.2 million. So, 500K were produced. Then, the 'Great White' Sea-Dweller was produced from serial numbers 6.2 million to 8.060 million, meaning ~1.8 million were produced. So, the production numbers break down like this:

DRSD: 4 million
Rail Dial: 500K
Great White: 1.8 million

If this is the case, then this must be an example of demand, and not supply, controlling prices.

Can anyone confirm these production numbers? Am I way off? Thanks!

V/R

Mike
Old 10 December 2012, 06:07 AM   #4
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1066 View Post
Based on my brief research today on some of the well known sites, it looks like the DRSD was made from Serial numbers 1.7 million to 5.7 million, meaning that ~4 million were produced. Then, the so called "Rail Dial" Sea-Dweller was produced from serial number 5.7 million to 6.2 million. So, 500K were produced. Then, the 'Great White' Sea-Dweller was produced from serial numbers 6.2 million to 8.060 million, meaning ~1.8 million were produced. So, the production numbers break down like this:

If this is the case, then this must be an example of demand, and not supply, controlling prices.

V/R

Mike
Woooow Mike . . . a lot of numbers !

I really had no clue that so many DRSD where made . . . considering the price . . . ?

HAGOne

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 06:12 AM   #5
Zed82
"TRF" Member

Quote:

V/R

Mike
Your figures are off I think. Rolex didn't only make these models during those serial number intervals. Many other Rolexmodels were made subsequently as well.
Old 10 December 2012, 06:13 AM   #6
gensiulia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed82 View Post
Rolex didn't only make these models during those serial number intervals. Many other Rolexmodels were made subsequently as well.
exactly.
gensiulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 06:14 AM   #7
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
I agree I think those serial numbers would have been "shared" by other models as well.

Also the real question is how many are left!
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 06:21 AM   #8
Mike1066
"TRF" Member

Hmmm... interesting to know that they were shared.

Even if shared though, I would think that DRSDs, 1665 Rails, and 1665 Great Whites SNs would have ALL been shared with other models at the times they were produced, correct? So wouldn't more DRSDs still have been produced than Rails and Great Whites?
Old 10 December 2012, 06:24 AM   #9
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:

V/R

Mike
Way off, I'd say. By an order of magnitude, or three, methinks.

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
ecsub44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 07:31 AM   #10
Mike1066
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsub44 View Post
Way off, I'd say. By an order of magnitude, or three, methinks.
I'd think so, too. But still, based on serial number ranges and/or corresponding dates of production, still seems like the DRSD was produced in a much higher quantity?

Just surprised by this I guess.

V/R

Mike
Old 10 December 2012, 08:12 AM   #11
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Hmmm... interesting to know that they were shared.

Even if shared though, I would think that DRSDs, 1665 Rails, and 1665 Great Whites SNs would have ALL been shared with other models at the times they were produced, correct? So wouldn't more DRSDs still have been produced than Rails and Great Whites?
Not sure why it is interesting to know they were shared.

Clearly Rolex made and sold many references during those years not just 1665's and therefore your math is waaaaaaay off!

Also not all DRSD's wee created equally with some being very rare and quite valuable. Checkout Ed Delgado's Double Red Sea Dweller link in Vncent65's post.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 08:23 AM   #12
Mike1066
"TRF" Member

Ken:

I think I always knew it but just hadn't thought of it until it was brought up! I didn't factor it in to my calculations - that's why all of my math was way off!

I think on the whole I've got my answer though, based on SN ranges, dates of production, etc. - while factoring in that some DRSDs are much more rare than others.

V/R

Mike
Old 10 December 2012, 08:31 AM   #13
pdoukas
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Duke bball
Quote:
I'd think so, too. But still, based on serial number ranges and/or corresponding dates of production, still seems like the DRSD was produced in a much higher quantity?

Just surprised by this I guess.

V/R

Mike
I agree with you Mike. Lets say 1000 units were made for each year that a sea dweller was made. That's 7 to 1 to 2 or 3. Now my numbers are off because I do to know the number of years that a SD was made. But if DRSDs were made for 7 years and rails were made for a year then that's 7 to 1, so yes I agree with you. However, what if production numbers fluctuated? What if Rolex made 5000 rails during that single year? Then the math is toast and we will never know. Remember, rolex is a marketing machine. How many sky dwellers will they make this year and based on sales and demand, how many will they make next year.
pdoukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 08:38 AM   #14
Mike1066
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoukas View Post
I agree with you Mike. Lets say 1000 units were made for each year that a sea dweller was made. That's 7 to 1 to 2 or 3. Now my numbers are off because I do to know the number of years that a SD was made. But if DRSDs were made for 7 years and rails were made for a year then that's 7 to 1, so yes I agree with you. However, what if production numbers fluctuated? What if Rolex made 5000 rails during that single year? Then the math is toast and we will never know. Remember, rolex is a marketing machine. How many sky dwellers will they make this year and based on sales and demand, how many will they make next year.
Valid point on fluctuating production numbers, if they did fluctuate. Is there a way to know?? Maddeneing!
Old 10 December 2012, 08:59 AM   #15
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed82 View Post
Your figures are off I think. Rolex didn't only make these models during those serial number intervals. Many other Rolexmodels were made subsequently as well.

That's the simple yet huge error. The SD's represented a tiny tiny portion of all Rolex watches produced through these periods.
Welshwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 09:15 AM   #16
Dan2000
"TRF" Member

Anyone willing to sell me your very common DRSD, please PM me now! Straight trade for a Great White also available!
Dan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 09:21 AM   #17
gensiulia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2000 View Post
Anyone willing to sell me your very common DRSD, please PM me now! Straight trade for a Great White also available!
gensiulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 09:24 AM   #18
Clay
Banned

I think it's safe to say that just because there were fewer of one reference made then another, it doesn't necessarily mean that that reference is more sought after by collectors or will command a bigger dollar figure.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 09:32 AM   #19
pdoukas
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Duke bball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I think it's safe to say that just because there were fewer of one reference made then another, it doesn't necessarily mean that that reference is more sought after by collectors or will command a bigger dollar figure.
And I agree with that as well. I asked a similar question about red and white 1680s a while back because it seemed that there were more reds for sale than whites. Turned out the number was quite comparable for the amount of each being sold. Additionally, the reds were produced longer in terms of years than white. However, regardless of quantity, the demand for reds is higher, thus so is the price.
pdoukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 09:33 AM   #20
Mike1066
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2000 View Post
I'm not saying that they are 'very common.' And clearly they are worth much more than the Rails and Great Whites among collectors. I was just surprised by the number likely produced, as I thought that part of their appeal was their rarity compared to their Great White and Rail brothers.
Old 11 December 2012, 07:53 PM   #21
964RS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Something vintage.
Quote:

"I was just surprised by the number likely produced, as I thought that part of their appeal was their rarity compared to their Great White and Rail brothers."
But you haven't established the number likely produced of each model?

You haven't even got close?

You're just giving a wild and innacurate estimate based on what serial number ranges the watches may or may not have fallen into.

Were there were 7m orange hand explorers produced....?

Sorry but this thread has a lot of nonsense in it. Only Rolex know how many watches were produced and trying to guess based purely on serial number ranges is utterly pointless. If you are serious about the answer it is going to take a lot of months of research....and you probably will still be guessing by the end.

Sorry to be blunt but needs to be said.
964RS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2012, 01:44 AM   #22
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

Well said X2
Old 12 December 2012, 02:08 AM   #23
Mike1066
"TRF" Member

Jason:

I didn't intend to throw people off by my original serial number ranges that I quoted in an earlier post. I now realize that is the SN range during which the subject watches were produced, not the number produced.

Please keep in mind that the forums are places for people to ask questions, begin research, and requset information. Novices and newcomers, like myself, come here to learn from those that have more knowledge on the subject surrounding this fun hobby.

V/R

Mike
Old 12 December 2012, 02:10 AM   #24
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

who ownes all of these DRSD ??? not all of these owners can know the value of these beauties so a lot of opportunities out there if you ask me...
Robbyvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2012, 02:45 AM   #25
Frogman4me
Banned

I think our buddy Mike made an honest mistake by not realizing the serial number range includes all references made in the subsequent year. I do agree with Jason's response as its important to clear up any confusion on this issue for those who may come into this thread not knowing. This is the beauty of the forum :)

I do think it is fair to say that the Seadweller has never been very popular with its more expensive helium escape valve. It is likely the standard submariner, datejust, etc are the ones that fill these serial numbers much more than the Seadweller. I still consider the DRSD even the MKIV to be reasonably rare, meaning many have never seen one in person and if it was not for the Internet maybe never in their lifetime.

Lets release some of the tension ;)

Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2012, 03:08 AM   #26
Mike1066
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman4me View Post

Old 12 December 2012, 03:25 AM   #27
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman4me View Post
I think our buddy Mike made an honest mistake by not realizing the serial number range includes all references made in the subsequent year. I do agree with Jason's response as its important to clear up any confusion on this issue for those who may come into this thread not knowing. This is the beauty of the forum :)

I do think it is fair to say that the Seadweller has never been very popular with its more expensive helium escape valve. It is likely the standard submariner, datejust, etc are the ones that fill these serial numbers much more than the Seadweller. I still consider the DRSD even the MKIV to be reasonably rare, meaning many have never seen one in person and if it was not for the Internet maybe never in their lifetime.

are you going to take the stickers off?

that is about the most pristine thing i have seen!
Old 12 December 2012, 03:31 AM   #28
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
are you going to take the stickers off?

that is about the most pristine thing i have seen!
This old thing

Old 12 December 2012, 04:16 AM   #29
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

Not fair...I'm at work and can't post a pic.
Old 12 December 2012, 05:19 AM   #30
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumont Miller II View Post
Not fair...I'm at work and can't post a pic.
Yes John yours would literally need the stickers removed!