The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 8 March 2013, 06:47 AM   #1
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Seiko can't find parts for my 45 y/o Grand Seiko, but they tried

Just figured I'd post my experience here as there seems to be some growing interesting in Grand Seikos (or perhaps I'm just projecting ). A few weeks ago I bought a lovely 5722-9991 from Takayama Watch, an eBay seller in Japan.

It runs fine, but due to the blemish on the dial and a desire for 100% peace of mind, I sent it into the only Seiko service center in the US (Mahwah, NJ). Mind you, lowly American watchmakers are not allowed to touch Grand Seikos, so Seiko NJ forwards all Grand Seikos to Japan for service. Seiko NJ called and emailed me every step of the way, letting me know that my watch was received, the price, and what timeframe to expect the watch back from Japan (3 months).

Seiko Japan could not find the parts in stock, so a few days later I received a telegram notifying me that there would be a delay. Literally, a telegram! I got a kick out of it.

But alas, today I got a call from a very courteous Seiko NJ rep who informed me that the parts needed for my 45-year-old watch are indeed extinct, and they cannot service it. They are immediately refunding the full $626 charge, which I appreciate. They invested a decent amount of time communicating with me and scoping out my watch, not to mention the cost of shipping to Japan and back, so overall I can't say anything bad about my Seiko experience thus far.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2013, 07:00 AM   #2
wingku
"TRF" Member

Watch: the World unfold
It's all about quality customer service in Japan, hands down the best I've seen ever!
wingku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2013, 07:29 AM   #3
tigerpac
"TRF" Member

They didn't offer to MAKE the part? Some customer service ;)
tigerpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2013, 09:58 AM   #4
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
That's service!
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Great communication

Could the existing parts be restored, or new ones made?
(although I'm quite sure you/they have considered this!)
Old 8 March 2013, 11:30 AM   #6
iim7v7im7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Less each year...
10 years

Small detail in GS manuals is that they only guarantee part availability for 10 years post manufacture. That is essentially two services. It has always made me hesitate on purchasing a GS.
Old 8 March 2013, 11:43 AM   #7
oneillba
"TRF" Member

Watch: My beloved TT DJ
nice story.

My Trusty TT DJ
oneillba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2013, 03:23 PM   #8
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Customers are like gods in Japan.

GS will service any watch but because they're the only ones with the parts, once the parts are gone they're gone. GS says they carry parts for ten years and some models longer. I've seen cases where thirty year GS watches were serviced. Rolex doesn't guarantee parts either but what they do have in their favor is volume in parts and even parts accounts throughout the planet. You simply cannot get this with GS. I love GS and do plan on one someday so perhaps their modern 9S movements will have parts for awhile because they've utilized them for some time now.

But truth be told as much of a fanboy I am that one reality does leave a little apprehensive too. While I think you'll get well more than ten years of parts from GS, unless its some rare LE, I think part of GS ownership is knowing you'll need to retire your watch in thirty years, unless they plan on changing things.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2013, 08:31 PM   #9
iim7v7im7
"TRF" Member

Unacceptable prospect...

I suppose the risk is there with many brands and Seiko being honest just happens to state it. But most GS are in the $5-10k range and there is an expectation for assured long-term ownership. This risk is present with any watch with a proprietary movement where a watchmaker without parts will be out of luck. Somehow I was surprised to see this for GS, given the size of the company and the pride they place on the division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra11b View Post
Customers are like gods in Japan.

GS will service any watch but because they're the only ones with the parts, once the parts are gone they're gone. GS says they carry parts for ten years and some models longer. I've seen cases where thirty year GS watches were serviced. Rolex doesn't guarantee parts either but what they do have in their favor is volume in parts and even parts accounts throughout the planet. You simply cannot get this with GS. I love GS and do plan on one someday so perhaps their modern 9S movements will have parts for awhile because they've utilized them for some time now.

But truth be told as much of a fanboy I am that one reality does leave a little apprehensive too. While I think you'll get well more than ten years of parts from GS, unless its some rare LE, I think part of GS ownership is knowing you'll need to retire your watch in thirty years, unless they plan on changing things.
Old 9 March 2013, 04:26 AM   #10
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7v7im7 View Post
Somehow I was surprised to see this for GS, given the size of the company and the pride they place on the division.
I always wondered this as well as it would be a great opportunity for GS to meet the same level of customer service as Patek in this case.

They're much like Rolex in a sense their designs haven't changed much in years. The glaring difference is that your GS goes to the place it was born which is a state-of-the-art machining facility to boot.

Seems like GS could easily raise the bar to state 30yrs+++ on the warranty booklets and THEN go as far to offer making custom parts (at a premium) for the life of obsolete models.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2013, 05:40 AM   #11
tinger
"TRF" Member

I remembered reading an interview recently that the Grand Seiko line is not design 'for the moment'.. that 20 yrs from now the design theme will more or less be the same as today (not verbatim).
I'll look for and will link the article when I find it.
tinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2013, 05:49 AM   #12
tigerpac
"TRF" Member

I know Omega guarantees parts availability for 20 years after the model is discontinued and I'm fairly certain that they'll try and make a part if otherwise unavailable, at a premium no doubt.
Old 9 March 2013, 05:52 AM   #13
Bangel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Small detail in GS manuals is that they only guarantee part availability for 10 years post manufacture. That is essentially two services. It has always made me hesitate on purchasing a GS.
That's very interesting. Now you have pointed out that disclaimer, it makes me pause also.

I guess with the OP's watch, the lack of parts now is more a reflection on Grand Seiko's practices and policies from circa 45 years ago.

Time will tell if parts are available in another 45 years for a brand new Grand Seiko bought today.
Bangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2013, 05:58 AM   #14
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

Watch: me sell games
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpac View Post
I know Omega guarantees parts availability for 20 years after the model is discontinued and I'm fairly certain that they'll try and make a part if otherwise unavailable, at a premium no doubt.

Omega serviced my 60 year old bumper automatic. They had the parts on hand to service it.. thats saying something about the Swatch Group.
ELITEVIDEOGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2013, 06:00 AM   #15
tigerpac
"TRF" Member

^Absolutely, they get a bad rap on the boards but they have a lot of pluses as well
Old 9 March 2013, 06:13 AM   #16
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Also I should note that this watch has kind of a transitional movement (5.5 bps manual wind). I plan on sending in an old auto Hi Beat GS soon, and perhaps parts for their auto 10 bps watches will be easier to come by. We'll see!

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2
Old 9 March 2013, 06:18 AM   #17
tigerpac
"TRF" Member

Good luck with that one!
Old 9 March 2013, 06:59 AM   #18
iim7v7im7
"TRF" Member

Here is what their manual states...

From page 68 of a 9S85 (High-beat) Model:

http://www.seikowatches.com/support/...KO_9S85_GS.pdf
○ SEIKO makes it a policy to typically keep a stock of replacement parts for this watch for 10
 years. Replacement parts are those which are essential to maintaining the functional
 integrity of the watch. Please keep in mind that if original parts are not available, they may
 be replaced with substitutes whose outward appearance may differ from the originals.
○ Depending on conditions of use, accuracy may not be recovered after the watch has been repaired.

If I had just spent $8k on a high-beat watch, this is not what I would have expected. It is always worthwile reading manuals first when you can.
Old 9 March 2013, 07:27 AM   #19
Bangel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
From page 68 of a 9S85 (High-beat) Model:

http://www.seikowatches.com/support/...KO_9S85_GS.pdf
○ SEIKO makes it a policy to typically keep a stock of replacement parts for this watch for 10
 years. Replacement parts are those which are essential to maintaining the functional
 integrity of the watch. Please keep in mind that if original parts are not available, they may
 be replaced with substitutes whose outward appearance may differ from the originals.
○ Depending on conditions of use, accuracy may not be recovered after the watch has been repaired.

If I had just spent $8k on a high-beat watch, this is not what I would have expected. It is always worthwile reading manuals first when you can.
Wasn't doubting you at all and completely agree with everything you said.

I was just hopeful that while original parts would be officially available for 10 years that the parts may be unofficially available for a lot longer.

Reading your excerpt from the manual it seems that even the 10 year period isn't guaranteed. It's just "typically" stocked for that long.

Certainly food for thought.
Bangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2013, 12:25 AM   #20
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Time to update this thread!

While Seiko was indeed unable to service my 1968 Grand Seiko (5722-9991 model, 5.5bps manual), they were able to service my 1969 Grand Seiko (6146-8000 model, 10bps auto) no problem.

Just got this baby back from Japan, by way of Seiko NJ. They no longer had the watchband or dial in stock for this watch, so they left my original dial and aftermarket strap alone. Just a nice movement service -- the hands absolutely glide across the dial when you set the time. Thanks Seiko!

Old 18 April 2013, 12:33 AM   #21
tigerpac
"TRF" Member

Awesome, thanks for the update! How much did that set you back? If you don't mind me asking!
Old 18 April 2013, 12:57 AM   #22
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Hey Tigerpac,
$626 seems to be their standard fee for GS movement servicing. ($536 plus $90 for round-trip shipping to Japan) Unlike Rolex, they didn't give me any "optional" replacements to consider; they just take your $626 and get down to business!
Old 18 April 2013, 01:14 AM   #23
tigerpac
"TRF" Member

Ah not bad for a hi-beat movement like that - enjoy it!!