The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 March 2013, 07:33 AM   #1
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
3940 and 5140

Hello

I'm interested in these two watches and I'm looking for information about the differenced between them.

I believe that the 3940 came out first and was then replaced by the 5140. Is this the case and can anyone tell me what the differences are please?

Thanks
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2013, 08:46 AM   #2
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
The 3940 came out first. The major differences are the bezel on the 5140 is convex vs concave on the 3940. The 5140 is 1mm bigger than the 3940 being 37mm vs 36mm. The numbers and lettering on the 5140 dial are larger. They both house the 240Q movement. For me I love the classic and vintage look of the 3940--especially the 1st and 2nd series. Of course it is subjective and quite personal but either way with any of these one can't go wrong!! Cheers,

** Also some different dial colors on them as well **

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2013, 10:00 AM   #3
Stuxnet
Banned

...and the 5140 sub dials have concentric circles inside them.

All of what has been described are technical and design details. You have to look at them in person or online side by side to see which one you prefer. The change in font size on the 5140 and different contoured layers on the sub dials of the 3940 make for meaningful differences.

Both are beautiful. One may just appeal to you more.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2013, 06:36 PM   #4
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Having owed both models, I have to say that the 3940 for me is a lot easier dial to see & read, even though the overall diameter of the watch is smaller.

The date dial on the 5140 though larger than the 3940 was, imo, just to cramped between the other dials which made it more difficult to read.

Both use the same movement, which is incredible, when you see how slim the watch is.

My current watch.

Against my previously owed 5140G

See how there is a clear gap, between the date dial on the 3940R compared with the 5140.
Old 25 March 2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat30093 View Post
Having owed both models, I have to say that the 3940 for me is a lot easier dial to see & read, even though the overall diameter of the watch is smaller.

The date dial on the 5140 though larger than the 3940 was, imo, just to cramped between the other dials which made it more difficult to read.

Both use the same movement, which is incredible, when you see how slim the watch is.

My current watch.

Against my previously owed 5140G

See how there is a clear gap, between the date dial on the 3940R compared with the 5140.
Very, very nice Tony and I understand what you mean when you say you owed both.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2013, 06:57 PM   #6
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
The 3940 came out first. The major differences are the bezel on the 5140 is convex vs concave on the 3940. The 5140 is 1mm bigger than the 3940 being 37mm vs 36mm. The numbers and lettering on the 5140 dial are larger. They both house the 240Q movement. For me I love the classic and vintage look of the 3940--especially the 1st and 2nd series. Of course it is subjective and quite personal but either way with any of these one can't go wrong!! Cheers,

** Also some different dial colors on them as well **
Thanks very much for all of these replies.

Can you tell me differences between the 1st, 2nd and 3rd series of 3940s please?
Old 25 March 2013, 07:00 PM   #7
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat30093 View Post

My current watch.

That watch is beautiful, which series is it?
Old 25 March 2013, 07:33 PM   #8
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Thanks very much for all of these replies.

Can you tell me differences between the 1st, 2nd and 3rd series of 3940s please?
Do a search and you will see subtle differences on the dial. Also case backs and clasp are different. For me the early series really give a vintage look which I like being a vintage watch guy!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2013, 08:47 PM   #9
Puffy
"TRF" Member

3940 is a stunner... the gap makes it look even slicker...
Old 25 March 2013, 09:03 PM   #10
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Do a search and you will see subtle differences on the dial. Also case backs and clasp are different. For me the early series really give a vintage look which I like being a vintage watch guy!
Has anybody said...vintage look!?

I have nothing to add to the technical features of those watches since everybody gave a lot of good information but allow me to say that I personally prefer (a lot) the 3940 to the 5140. The overall look of that reference is, in my humble opinion, much nicer and more classy whilst still giving the watch a special something that makes it a wonderful timepiece to wear everyday. 3940 would definitely have my vote but, of course, it's a matter of opinion and you may find that you prefer the 5140 in the end.

As for the series, Ken has already stated that there are a few differences between them, especially on their dials. Here are two pictures I found of a first series and a second series 3940, notice how the subdials and the font are different.

These aren't my pictures and since I am not an expert somebody may be able to tell me if I made a mistake and took the picture of, say, a fourth series whilst thinking it was a second series. Still, those pictures below will show you how different they can be from each other (they aren't very big but some people will prefer some details to others).

First series

Second series

And a third series, look at the J's and notice the very small difference between them and the ones above.

On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2013, 01:10 AM   #11
ratty
"TRF" Member

Once again, thanks to you all for your replies. Most helpful.

I still have lots to learn. I thought one of the identifying features of the 3rd series was the 'quartering' of the right hand sub-dial. i.e. the vertical and horizontal lines between the 1, 2, 3 and 4s but on these pics both the 2nd and 3rd pictures have this feature? Can someone tell me where I have gone wrong please? I can see what you mean about the J's though.

Thanks again.