The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 August 2013, 12:46 PM   #1
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Tudor BB Accuracy

Would any Black Bay owners here mind sharing some daily timekeeping numbers? I've heard anything from 4-5 seconds gain per day to 15 seconds per day. Some first-hand owner feedback would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 13 August 2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Not a first hand owner of the Black Bay but I don't need to be knowing that any competent watchmaker can regulate any BB to chronometer specs.
Any replies you receive will be anecdotal anyway.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Old 13 August 2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Chainring
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few, not enough.
+10
Old 13 August 2013, 12:51 PM   #4
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Would any Black Bay owners here mind sharing some daily timekeeping numbers? I've heard anything from 4-5 seconds gain per day to 15 seconds per day. Some first-hand owner feedback would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Should be regulated to your satisfaction by your AD while they serve you an adult beverage of your choice.
Old 13 August 2013, 01:34 PM   #5
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Not a first hand owner of the Black Bay but I don't need to be knowing that any competent watchmaker can regulate any BB to chronometer specs.
Any replies you receive will be anecdotal anyway.
dP
OP was asking for just that- anecdotal responses. Watch reviews put the Black Bay at +15, and OP was asking to see what owners actual experiences were.

If the movement of the watch is chronometer-grade, I would hope a watchmaker could regulate it. Tudor uses the highest-quality ETA2824-2, which is supposedly very reliable and accurate. It might not be certified, but it's high quality.
Old 13 August 2013, 01:42 PM   #6
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Then anecdotal responses it shall be.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Old 13 August 2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Anemacdotally they don't use the highest spec ETA.

Old 13 August 2013, 02:15 PM   #8
RolexBuckeye
"TRF" Member

My Ball Night Train uses the ETA 2824 modified by Ball. Not sure which spec but when new it ran +7 seconds per day. Like I was told with most movements I allowed it to break in and 6 months later it runs +2.5 seconds fast.

Very pleased with the watch and plan on calling Ball tomorrow to find out what spec is used.

Dan
Old 13 August 2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Pete26
Banned

Accuracy

My AD told me that if my Pelagos deviates at all to bring it in and Rolex will adjust it. He said to try to make sure I did it within the 2 year warranty period as each Tudor is tested and adjusted for Chronometer accuracy but not COSC.

The movement is a top grade ETA with Kiff shock protection and other Rolex embelishments.
Old 13 August 2013, 06:28 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post

Thanks in advance.
Look no matter the movement in any watch its only as good as what its been regulated too.Now all new watches take around a month to settle in to your wearing habits.Then if any watch is more fast or slow that what you want its a very easy task to have them regulated.Even a new Rolex can be outside the COSC spec and need regulating.And don't read much into a few Internet tests on this watch.Myself have regulated a Chinese made ST19 movement to run well inside the COSC spec and that whole watch cost just $60 .And its been running within 3-5 seconds a day for over 5 years now.Regulation is one of the main things when it come to accuracy of any watch no matter the watch movement or brand.And seeing Tudor uses ebauche top grade movement form ETA most any good watchmaker could regulate it in less than 20 minutes.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 13 August 2013, 06:35 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete26 View Post
My AD told me that if my Pelagos deviates at all to bring it in and Rolex will adjust it. He said to try to make sure I did it within the 2 year warranty period as each Tudor is tested and adjusted for Chronometer accuracy but not COSC.

The movement is a top grade ETA with Kiff shock protection and other Rolex embelishments.
ETA uses the Etachoc shock system which is very similar to Incabloc shock system but in the real would all the various shock systems are basically all the same

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 August 2013, 07:32 PM   #12
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

WatchTime's review (in the latest issue) says the watch gains 10 secs per day.

I haven't checked mine against an atomic clock or anything like that, but I'd say my BB is as accurate as any of the 8 Rolexes I own.
Old 13 August 2013, 07:48 PM   #13
Pete26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Look no matter the movement in any watch its only as good as what its been regulated too.Now all new watches take around a month to settle in to your wearing habits.Then if any watch is more fast or slow that what you want its a very easy task to have them regulated.Even a new Rolex can be outside the COSC spec and need regulating.And don't read much into a few Internet tests on this watch.Myself have regulated a Chinese made ST19 movement to run well inside the COSC spec and that whole watch cost just $60 .And its been running within 3-5 seconds a day for over 5 years now.Regulation is one of the main things when it come to accuracy of any watch no matter the watch movement or brand.And seeing Tudor uses ebauche top grade movement form ETA most any good watchmaker could regulate it in less than 20 minutes.
Don't disagree at all. I am just commenting on the statements that it's not top grade when it clearly is with Rolex improvements. If Rolex decide in 7 years when I send the watch for a service to put the new in-house Rolex ( fantasy here) movement I won't complain at all
Old 13 August 2013, 07:59 PM   #14
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Timed my Pelagos to within +1 sec in a week.
Old 13 August 2013, 09:17 PM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete26 View Post
Don't disagree at all. I am just commenting on the statements that it's not top grade when it clearly is with Rolex improvements. If Rolex decide in 7 years when I send the watch for a service to put the new in-house Rolex ( fantasy here) movement I won't complain at all
Afraid today many are stereo typed by a name like say ETA and say Seiko now those that have little knowledge about these product often poopoo them.But thankfully there are many others who do know these products today.Many don't know that ETA make 5 different grades movements in most of there line up.And both top grades are chronometer spec and are more expensive than the first grade.Its the same for Seiko you cannot compare the normal high street Seiko although a fine movement to those from the high end Seiko like the Credor and Seiko Grand.But hopefully via this and other forums we hope to educate those who are willing to learn.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 August 2013, 09:45 PM   #16
fedefiore
"TRF" Member

what reviews can state is that the particular tested watch regulated in that particular way gain or loose xx seconds. So what ?
What could make sense would instead be "the best precision we could achieve trying different regulations is +- xx secs" If the best precision that a well regulated Eta mvmnt can achieve is 10-15 secs fast then we have a problem.
Old 14 August 2013, 02:05 AM   #17
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

Mine runs at +4.
Old 14 August 2013, 12:52 PM   #18
Chainring
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have a Tank Komandirskie from the early 90s that a family friend gave my father. I know this watch has never been serviced and it runs +4/day. Not bad for a $40-50 watch.

I'm a little annoyed that a product produced in the same factory as a Rolex and costing many times the Tank Komandirskie runs +10 but I'll eventually get it regulated and then I'll have a watch that runs as great as it looks. I have to admit, the Tank is just butt ugly. The Black Bay is just a fun watch to wear and gives me a great deal of satisfaction every time I look at it.
Old 14 August 2013, 01:29 PM   #19
Old Expat Beast

Watch: SEIKO
Thanks for all the responses.
Old 14 August 2013, 08:06 PM   #20
Steelgold
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Quote:
Myself have regulated a Chinese made ST19 movement to run well inside the COSC spec and that whole watch cost just $60 .And its been running within 3-5 seconds a day for over 5 years now.Regulation is one of the main things when it come to accuracy of any watch no matter the watch movement or brand.And seeing Tudor uses ebauche top grade movement form ETA most any good watchmaker could regulate it in less than 20 minutes.
I have a Marcello C Nettuno 3 with the top grade ETA 2824-2 and it runs 3-5 seconds a day also. So Padi brings up a good point that "most any good watchmaker could regulate it in less than 20 minutes."
Old 14 August 2013, 08:41 PM   #21
cop414

Watch: 14060M
While I don't have a BB my DOXA equipped with an ETA movement gained 24 seconds in 100 days last time I checked it...

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 16 August 2013, 01:29 PM   #22
Chainring
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
While I don't have a BB my DOXA equipped with an ETA movement gained 24 seconds in 100 days last time I checked it...
That's ridiculous. You should never, ever check it again so as not to blow that stat.
Old 2 January 2016, 02:39 AM   #23
lynxrat
"TRF" Member

Long Range Tudor Accuracy

I received a Black Bay for Christmas in 2012 and have made note of the time changes:

Dec 2012 - + 18 Seconds / Day
Dec 2013 - + 12 Seconds / Day
Dec 2014 - + 6 or 7 Seconds / Day
Dec 2015 - - .5 - 1 Seconds / Day

Perhaps someone can explain.

Kevin
Old 2 January 2016, 02:45 AM   #24
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
I got my BB blue used in November. It's orig purchase date was 8/17/15. Mine is consistently +5/day compared to an atomic clock and time.gov.
Old 2 January 2016, 03:14 AM   #25
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Very pleased with mine. So far I'm at +2.3 SPD over 11 days. Typically take the watch off at night, or if not wearing it for the day keep it on its side crown up.
Old 2 January 2016, 03:28 AM   #26
Spoonage
2024 Pledge Member

For referemce my BBN is averaging about +3 to +6 s/d. My wife's Ranger was at +15 s/d so got that regulated. My B&R BR123 is about the same as my BBN. All 3 use the same movement I believe.

Ranger 13 months old
BBN 2 months old
B&R BR123 1 month old
Old 2 January 2016, 03:30 AM   #27
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
During my six months of ownership it was averaging +3 seconds per day except for the last month when it was down to +1. Are you thinking of getting one Adam?
Old 2 January 2016, 03:33 AM   #28
Boothroyd
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
It's a bump of an old thread, but for what it's worth, mine has been running +4 over the past month since purchase.
Old 2 January 2016, 03:56 AM   #29
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
During my six months of ownership it was averaging +3 seconds per day except for the last month when it was down to +1. Are you thinking of getting one Adam?
It's and old thread and he's had one for a while now (and at a very good price I might add).

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 2 January 2016, 03:57 AM   #30
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Tudor BB Accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
It's and old thread and he's had one for a while now (and at a very good price I might add).

I wasn't sure if he had one. Thanks Lee.
It's the next one on my wish list...black this time around.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Closed Thread