The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 August 2013, 08:32 AM   #1
DC Engineer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710
AD experience "brick and mortar" RANT

So I dropped into an AD (Lenkersdorfer) today to look at a few watches. I also had cash on hand if I was seriously compelled to buy. I was interested in a DJII and a AP Royal Oak.

I exchanged some banter about watches, very dry banter I might add. I'm not certain if the environment makes these guys stiff or not. I feel like I should have the ease of making a watch purchase similar to what you would experience in an Apple store. The salesman takes out the display tray and I try on the DJII. When we move to the second display case to try on another watch, the guy is hesitant to pull out the display to try on. At this point, I opted to not press the issue. I was in the store wearing my GMTIIc, which I thought, at minimum, would convey that I was a potential buyer. I was cordial and took the salesman's business card, but my mind is made up about never going to a brick and mortar store to purchase a watch. In my opinion, the AD's are nothing more than showrooms. I had a much better experience buying from a trusted seller on TRF.

This may sound odd, but if I'm dropping a couple of grand on a watch "AND" also paying retail I expect much more. Is having the customer satisfaction experience you'd get at Nordstrom's or an Apple store too much to ask for at an AD?
DC Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 08:34 AM   #2
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I get it.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Rolexitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
That sucks but I get good treatment where I go. Always fun for me.
Old 19 August 2013, 08:39 AM   #4
robotkiller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Engineer View Post
So I dropped into an AD (Lenkersdorfer) today to look at a few watches. I also had cash on hand if I was seriously compelled to buy. I was interested in a DJII and a AP Royal Oak.

I exchanged some banter about watches, very dry banter I might add. I'm not certain if the environment makes these guys stiff or not. I feel like I should have the ease of making a watch purchase similar to what you would experience in an Apple store. The salesman takes out the display tray and I try on the DJII. When we move to the second display case to try on another watch, the guy is hesitant to pull out the display to try on. At this point, I opted to not press the issue. I was in the store wearing my GMTIIc, which I thought, at minimum, would convey that I was a potential buyer. I was cordial and took the salesman's business card, but my mind is made up about never going to a brick and mortar store to purchase a watch. In my opinion, the AD's are nothing more than showrooms. I had a much better experience buying from a trusted seller on TRF.

This may sound odd, but if I'm dropping a couple of grand on a watch "AND" also paying retail I expect much more. Is having the customer satisfaction experience you'd get at Nordstrom's or an Apple store too much to ask for at an AD?
Out of curiosity - how were you dressed?
robotkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 08:45 AM   #5
DC Engineer
"TRF" Member

To: robotkiller
I was wearing my newly polished GMTIIc, which should have been enough. As far as clothing, I was wearing a baseball cap, t-shirt and jeans. I was in casual Sunday at the mall mode, nothing ragged, dirty or with holes.
Old 19 August 2013, 08:53 AM   #6
robotkiller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was wearing my newly polished GMTIIc, which should have been enough. As far as clothing, I was wearing a baseball cap, t-shirt and jeans. I was in casual Sunday at the mall mode, nothing ragged, dirty or with holes.
I agree - any half witted salesman should have spotted the GMTIIc and that should have been more than enough. That said, if you are a younger guy in casual clothes then some salespeople will be stiff, regardless. I usually wear business attire when going to these places and I always get excellent service, but then I have to do this - people seem to think I'm in my early twenties when I dress casually.

Sorry for the crap experience.
Old 19 August 2013, 08:54 AM   #7
submariner66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Jewelers in general have always been like this for as long as I have been shopping and I suspect they always will. Its a wonder anything gets sold at all, if they are not pouncing on you, they're ignoring you or some other insult. I figure its a kind of intimidation and stand offish-ness that they think works for them.
submariner66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 09:00 AM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
That AD is always like that
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 09:05 AM   #9
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My AD is an all around jewler. They are not very knowledgable about Rolex. Very nice people though. I have had great service buying here on TRF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 09:05 AM   #10
DC Engineer
"TRF" Member

I really don't get it. Every experience I've had at an AD has always been terrible. They either weren't knowledgeable enough or were pretty arrogant.

The arrogance is mind-boggling to me, just cause the guys wearing a suit doesn't make them an aristocrat. At the end of the day, this guy is a SALESMAN. The entire interaction reminded me of the doorman at a club that has ego, as if he determines if you're worthy of enough to enter the nightclub. He's a DOORMAN, the AD guy is a SALESMAN, not a watchmaker, not a guy brokering a deal for a Picasso.
Old 19 August 2013, 09:09 AM   #11
doc76
"TRF" Member

I really think you're overthinking this!
doc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 09:10 AM   #12
SteveJ
"TRF" Member

I was at Tyson's today as well and stopped in there with my wife. We had the same experience that you had! Interesting...
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 09:12 AM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I was at Tyson's today as well and stopped in there with my wife. We had the same experience that you had! Interesting...
I was there as well, I rarely stop to talk to anyone, I just browse
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 09:12 AM   #14
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
As i always say, ADs are mainly for showcasing, not buying. Just like you do your research at best buy and then buy on amazon at the best price possible.
Old 19 August 2013, 09:19 AM   #15
DC Engineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc76 View Post
I really think you're overthinking this!
I don't think so... every time I've been to an AD it's been a less than pleasant experience. I have never had an enjoyable experience at an AD. However, I can say that I have had great satisfaction at a car dealership, high-end clothing store, barbershop, art gallery, brothel, a rental leasing office, etc. Every visit to an AD has always been sh*tty, oftentimes varying degrees of sh1ttyness.
Old 19 August 2013, 09:26 AM   #16
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by iazrollie View Post
As i always say, ADs are mainly for showcasing, not buying. Just like you do your research at best buy and then buy on amazon at the best price possible.
Lol

Just buy here? ADs are fun for a few minutes but this place is fun for hours
Old 19 August 2013, 09:39 AM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
I don't think so... every time I've been to an AD it's been a less than pleasant experience. I have never had an enjoyable experience at an AD. However, I can say that I have had great satisfaction at a car dealership, high-end clothing store, barbershop, art gallery, brothel, a rental leasing office, etc. Every visit to an AD has always been sh*tty, oftentimes varying degrees of sh1ttyness.

Most watch AD's have treated me well, including my local shop. But I do not find that they add any value to me, so I only buy from trf sellers now. It boggles me the shoddy service some of these places can get away with. I was just saying the other day to my gf that apple has raised my expectations in terms of customer service for all other transactions. Hence I hold other companies up to their standard and when I do not get it, I become agitated. If they were smart AD's would offer me a beer while I was shopping. My local clothing boutiques do and one even offers wine, scotch or espresso!
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 09:43 AM   #18
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I find I've had to develop a relationship with my ADs for the white glove treatment. Now we're all friends. However I know what you're talking about.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 09:46 AM   #19
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjspark View Post

Most watch AD's have treated me well, including my local shop. But I do not find that they add any value to me, so I only buy from trf sellers now. It boggles me the shoddy service some of these places can get away with. I was just saying the other day to my gf that apple has raised my expectations in terms of customer service for all other transactions. Hence I hold other companies up to their standard and when I do not get it, I become agitated. If they were smart AD's would offer me a beer while I was shopping. My local clothing boutiques do and one even offers wine, scotch or espresso!
Take the gf to either the big island or Maui and go see an AD named baron & leed. They serve unlimited longboard beer and Godiva truffles when you shop.
Old 19 August 2013, 09:54 AM   #20
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Great friendly family owned AD in Old Town Alexandria.....
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 09:57 AM   #21
DC Engineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post
Great friendly family owned AD in Old Town Alexandria.....
Thanks for the reference. Still not certain if I even want to do the AD thing again. What I did confirm is that I'm never going to Lenkersdorfer again, not even for browsing.
Old 19 August 2013, 09:59 AM   #22
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I go to three AD's in northern NJ, all full service Jewelers, all carry wide range of higher end watches. One in the mall, the others are single shops. All are very cordial, willing to show what I am interested in, no problems. My one guy where I have purchased is always particularly attentive, but all three have provided a friendly experience.
Old 19 August 2013, 10:07 AM   #23
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and I've had the opposite experience. I've been treated pretty well at a couple of ADs prior to buying anything. I bought a few pieces from these ADs and I now have a pretty good relationship with them. I had a similar experience as you when I went to New York so I know how you feel. Funny, I get that same snobby attitude when I accompany my wife to certain clothing stores/boutiques.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 10:57 AM   #24
robotkiller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reference. Still not certain if I even want to do the AD thing again. What I did confirm is that I'm never going to Lenkersdorfer again, not even for browsing.
I bought my DSSD from an AD recently - I was treated very well and it was a great experience. I'll admit that it felt a little warm and fuzzy buying from an AD, and it's hard to beat the experience of buying a watch like this in a B&M store and walking out with it as soon as you pay for it. I was also happy to support a local small business.

I would never support jerks, but there are definitely good ADs out there. Can't lose either way. You end up with a Rolex, regardless, at the end of the day.
Old 19 August 2013, 10:57 AM   #25
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think you just got unlucky. It's like shopping for cars- some salesmen are jerks others are cool. When I got my Rolex, I looked around at 4 different stores and dressed pretty much the same- jeans, t-shirt, baseball cap-

store 1- the cold shoulder routine-I was shopping for wedding rings with my wife and they sold Rolex- it took 5 minutes to get somebody to help us out when we said, "We want to buy!", the saleslady was not very helpful and threw a binder with different ring options before running off to help somebody else and when she was with us, she really wasn't focused on us. I mentioned I was interested in Rolex and she gave me the "aww... you're cute but don't have money, honey" routine.

store 2- engaged in some dry banter and left it at that- the conversation was leading up to taking the watch out of the case and letting me try it out. I wanted to see if he would offer. Nope- awkward 5 seconds with the two of us locked in a stare-off. Really? I broke the silence and asked to see a Rolex and he did so but wasn't really interested.

store 3- the saleslady offered 5% off, threw out the AD was going to raise prices in 2 weeks by 15% so you're getting a deal- at this point I was willing to work with her- you negotiate. But then she brought out the cherry on the top- she actually insulted my watch- my 13yo Omega that I got as a college graduation gift- she started calling it a girl's watch since it's so small and how come you still have a girl's watch now? You need to get a man's watch! 36mm is for girl's only! Call me crazy, but I didn't want to work with her or the store after that.

Then I saw another guy wearing a blusey arguing about something with another salesman- they were on a first name basis (i.e. repeat customer) at that point, I wanted out. If the repeat customer business is like that, and I got insulted, I'm out. The only nice person was this junior clerk who was pleasant and offered us some water. If he were the salesman, I probably would have bought there.

store 4- treated me very well off the bat and respectfully. When I told him about 36mm vs. 39mm sizes, he immediately offered to try out a 36mm DJ and let me decide on my own giving me some advice but was not pushy. So I bought it from them.
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 11:23 AM   #26
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I was wearing a baseball cap and jeans when passing my local AD I spotted a ceramic RG Daytona so I quickly popped in and they showed it to me, and we even had to go to a special section at the back Id never seen before as it was an expensive watch.

So far Ive had mostly great treatment from ADs but then they probably don't sense that Im a Chelsea fan
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 11:27 AM   #27
bridgs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I have had decent experiences at my AD regarding my looking at Rolex, but I purchased one of mine there and that may have something to do with it. I often stop in looking a bit ragged at times but always wearing the sub or dj. I would relate your experience to the management. Although they probably won't reprimand the salesman, he will at least be on their radar should another incident occur.
bridgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 11:28 AM   #28
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I have visited about a dozen ADs here in Hong Kong and they vary in service quality. One guy sneered when I mentioned that the Milgauss GV has no laser etched crown. I enjoyed watching him squint through his loupe for five minutes.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 11:28 AM   #29
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
I've only found 1 AD with a knowledgable person and that is where I will buy in the future. All others I have visited it was painful to talk with the sales staff. Never had a problem with them bringing watches out though.
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2013, 11:32 AM   #30
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks
I've had great experiences at one AD and not so great at another. Sometimes its the luck of the draw with the staff. One bad egg can give the whole store a bad name.
Mastergreenhand is offline   Reply With Quote