The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 June 2014, 11:01 AM   #1
leicashot
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEIKO SLA033
Tudor Black Bay RED vs BLUE

I'd like to share my thoughts on the RED vs BLUE debate after spending time with both in the last few days. Initially, I went to the dealer and felt very underwhelmed by the BLUE. There was something about it that just didn't feel right, and next to the RED, it felt like it was lacking any feeling or emotion usually felt by a prospective customer buying a new watch - so far many have described the BLUE as 'cold'.

Looking at the two closer, here are my final impressions.

RED
- This is the original model, designed the way Tudor designers intended based on a vintage feel, combined with modern improvements.
- The red has its own personality and is unequally distinctive to just about all other dive watches ever made. It stands out quite a bit on the wrist due to its matte red bezel and contrasting gold hands. The bezel is more red than maroon as described by some members, but it does change in different light. In daylight it is bright red and indoors it looks more maroonish, but never quite maroon. When looking at this watch from a distance, there is no mistaking it is the Tudor Black Bay, to those WIS.
- The gold hands match beautifully with the lume colour, which looks crème to yellow in different lighting. Combined with the gilt dial chapter ring and minute markers it combines for a match made in heaven. Some members here have described the style as ‘faux’ (false) vintaging due to Tudor's choice of colours, but I disagree with this. Going faux would be using different materials designed to 'mimic' an aged watch, in color, texture and material. Tudor could have achieved this the same way Omega has done with their new Seamaster 300, but instead they just chose a colour of lume that matches well with the hands, similar to the original Sub with red bezel and gold coloured hands.
- The red is a very classy and flashy watch on the wrist, but not overly so. Its really the red that catches attention, more so than the gold hands, which look fantastic and not overly blingy due to the flat surface, as opposed to the two sided hands on other watches.

BLUE
- This is a very understated watch. It's completely different to the RED in terms of the way it looks on the wrist and the feelings it evokes. To me, it’s a 'Plain Jane' watch for everyday because it matches just about anything, as the blue is more of a dark, midnight color. From a distance it could be mistaken for any other sports dive watch, so it's not going to grab the attention the RED does.
- The white gold hands looked cheap to me at first, because I was so used to seeing gold hands on this watch, so I have since changed my opinion after spending more time with it and getting used to the color change. The whiter colored lume matches the watch well and make for a nice contrasty dial, and combined with the white gold chapter ring and minute markers, goes very well with the bracelet, which is why many describe this model as looking 'better' than the RED on bracelet....though I would say they look equally as good.
- The bezel on the blue is of a different finish to the matte bezel on the red. It's a more glossy finish that is more reflective and 'blingy'. At first I felt this made it look cheap, but I'm warming up to it now. If it was a matte surface it would surely look darker and the blue tone wouldn’t be so obvious.
- The dial itself is more of a true black compared to the RED’s black/brown color, but really it’s a dark grey matte material. I would have preferred it be pure black to enhance the contrast.

It's important to note that both have a silver internal side that reflects light onto the dial. Due to the gold hands of the RED, its easy to see why the dial can look very warm at times, and with the BLUE having white gold hands, it will look cold at times. This is due to the light bouncing of the sides and catches the colors of the hands and indices’ borders and affecting the color of the dial.

When it comes to legibility, both are about as good as it gets, but I’d give the slight edge to the RED as the lume color is very bright, even in daylight and shade and contrasts better than the whiter lume on the BLUE. At times, I felt the RED’s lume could almost be a little overwhelming in daylight as it turns very yellow against the red bezel, and the colors can be a little overwhelming.

I don't like either of these on straps due to the small gap between the case and strap end. If I was to choose though based on strap, the red's is much nicer, as distressed blue isn't to my liking.

Lastly, I'd like to add that for collectors and those that can live with the RED, that is the one to buy. It's just more special in many ways. The BLUE is great in it's own right and its heritage is substantiated, but it just doesn't have the WOW factor the RED has. So in the end which did I choose? BLUE.....because as my daily watch I just couldn't live with the RED. Later on when I re-build my collection, I will add the RED, no doubt. I hope this helps those having a tough time choosing between these tow brilliant watches.

leicashot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 11:07 AM   #2
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Fantastic comparative review, I too would have probably made the same choice as you did!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 11:14 AM   #3
ocabj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I agree that the blue is a better everyday watch. That said, I've been pondering the red because I want a red accented watch for occasional wear.

Solid pics, BTW.
Old 28 June 2014, 11:30 AM   #4
kazas88
"TRF" Member

Excellent review coupled with even better pictures. You sir just made this great place an even better one.

Many thanks for your time, i sure enjoyed reading it!!! How about a Tudor Fastrider Black Shield review next? :)
kazas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 11:33 AM   #5
leicashot
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys glad you like it. I've never had such a tough time choosing between 2 colors of the same watch, and I've certainly never bought the one I felt was second best but I know myself and I just don't wear enough red to justify the original, and I don't want the watch to stand out too much. Either way I will own both at some point I'm sure. Or maybe once I have my Sub-C ill trade my blue for red
Old 28 June 2014, 11:35 AM   #6
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Thank you for sharing! I am anxiously waiting to see a blue in the flesh
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 11:40 AM   #7
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Great stuff, thanks, we could use more posts like this around here. The only thing I would say is that while very nice, the photos don't reflect the reality of the watches in quite the same way your writing does. Would be nice to see some good-quality, regular wrist shots here, too. I have tried on both, and neither looked as appealing as they do in these photos.

But again, thanks for your work
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 11:43 AM   #8
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Agree - The blue is more understated and the red is more flashy. Blue is probably better as a daily wearer.

But the gold trim on the red is simply too beautiful for me to ignore, which is why I went with red.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 11:47 AM   #9
Kobayashi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Any Rolex!
Excellent review and great quality pictures! Thank you for your contribution!
Kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 11:52 AM   #10
leicashot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Great stuff, thanks, we could use more posts like this around here. The only thing I would say is that while very nice, the photos don't reflect the reality of the watches in quite the same way your writing does. Would be nice to see some good-quality, regular wrist shots here, too. I have tried on both, and neither looked as appealing as they do in these photos.

But again, thanks for your work

The way these watches look depends greatly on the light you see them in. I don't shoot my watches in bad light so this only shows how they look in goo light at the right angles. But they are really this nice, outside of the ugly dealer's lighting
Old 28 June 2014, 12:16 PM   #11
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Blue is much more elegant. Never understood why anybody cared about the red version.
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 12:17 PM   #12
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Great write up, stunning photos!!!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 12:19 PM   #13
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project
Those photos are phenomenal! Great comparison of the two black bays as well.
MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 01:00 PM   #14
venom43
"TRF" Member

Watch: Grail Daytona
Icon6

Great review and awesome photos....true quality..

As a red owner I would agree with you completely. And the red does look better on a strap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (216.5 KB, 2180 views)
ROLEX:(116200)SS DATEJUST,(216570)SS EXPLORER II "POLAR",*(116518-0073)YG DAYTONA*,(116718)YG GMT MASTER IIc,(16610)SS SUBMARINER 50th LV,(16623)TT YACHT-MASTER ~BREITLING:SUPER OCEAN 44 ~JLC:NAVY SEALs ~OMEGA:PLANET OCEAN "LIQUIDMETAL LE" & (2201.51),SPEEEDMASTER PRO "METEORITE DIAL",SEAMASTER PRO GMT "GREAT WHITE" ~TUDOR:BLACK BAY(R)
venom43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 01:50 PM   #15
mechanicaltime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I like the red one.
mechanicaltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 02:25 PM   #16
hchj
"TRF" Member

I like the red more. I feel it is the color of the BB, like how I feel about orange on the Omega PO.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
hchj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 03:23 PM   #17
skprd13
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675-1680-16750
Incredible pictures!!! Love my Red! However one day I will own the Blue!
skprd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 04:19 PM   #18
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

The blue version is much nicer, in my opinion. The only thing that's really odd about the BB (to me, at least) is the snowflake hour and second hands. It doesn't make much sense with the circular lume plots. The snowflake hands work great on the Pelagos since the lume plots match. I would much rather see the lollipop hands on the BB.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 04:44 PM   #19
Takemusu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singslinger View Post
But the gold trim on the red is simply too beautiful for me to ignore, which is why I went with red.
Me too. I liked the red BB from photos, but bought it on the spot when I saw it in the metal and put it on my wrist. I've never seen anything like it in terms of warmth and tonality. The deep red, rose gold, gilt lettering, and dark chocolate dial are unbelievably warm and inviting. I doubt I will ever give up my BB!
Takemusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 05:17 PM   #20
scheneider
"TRF" Member

Mine says hi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.3 KB, 2081 views)
scheneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 06:21 PM   #21
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Love the blue, you chose well.
soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 07:29 PM   #22
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Great review by the Op and incredible photo's. I love my red and would be reluctant to ever let it go. The differences between the red and blue are enough to justify having both...................that's what I'm telling myself anyway!
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 07:46 PM   #23
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Great review and pics!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 11:02 PM   #24
jcd
"TRF" Member

Watch: me vector
Great review and pics. Thanks for posting this.

Honestly, I'm still torn between the 2. I like them both and I think I would be quite happy with either.
jcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2014, 03:45 PM   #25
ND10
Banned

Watch: SubC, Daytona
Great work there comparing the 2. Choosing between the 2 really depends on factors such as one's existing collection, lifestyle and perhaps wardrobe or maybe just down to each individual's personal taste.

Personally I thought the red BB would be great for casual days and weekends. There is a certain X factor to it which hit me as soon as I laid my hands on one at an AD. The more I saw it the more I wanted one. In the end I went with the bracelet for versatility and durability and also had a brown/tan vintage strap customized to my liking. I must say I love it on both but with an edge to the leather. To me it just works so well.

Hope you don't mind if I share a few pics to illustrate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1034.jpg (134.6 KB, 1955 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0980.jpg (111.1 KB, 1953 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0842.jpg (111.8 KB, 1947 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1111.jpg (93.6 KB, 1930 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1138.jpg (135.6 KB, 1930 views)
ND10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2014, 09:49 PM   #26
theken
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Nice review.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
theken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2014, 10:00 PM   #27
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
IMO the blue is the winner. I would jump all over it if it wasn't for the snowflake hands. I just never liked them. I know Mercedes hands would make it look like a sub but sword hands would have been perfect.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 12:05 AM   #28
leicashot
"TRF" Member

Can't agree on the sword hands, but yes Mercedes hands would have been ideal, but that just wouldn't happen as Rolex have clearly taken that distinction away from Tudor many years ago.

I think overall its a nightly success. I'd like to see new versions with ceramic bezels and two sided hands to make them perfect. For the time being we'll just have to do with what we have....

Old 3 July 2014, 12:31 PM   #29
jaymyms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
After waiting for my AD to get the Blue Bay in and making my decision, I went with the red, making the choice in about 60 seconds.

The blue would go better with any outfit etc, but it also just feels, less... special. There's just something about the original BB color scheme that you'll never see elsewhere. It just works, and has so much warm depth.
jaymyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2014, 01:28 PM   #30
sportsmaven20
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicashot View Post
I'd like to share my thoughts on the RED vs BLUE debate after spending time with both in the last few days. Initially, I went to the dealer and felt very underwhelmed by the BLUE. There was something about it that just didn't feel right, and next to the RED, it felt like it was lacking any feeling or emotion usually felt by a prospective customer buying a new watch - so far many have described the BLUE as 'cold'.

Looking at the two closer, here are my final impressions.

RED
- This is the original model, designed the way Tudor designers intended based on a vintage feel, combined with modern improvements.
- The red has its own personality and is unequally distinctive to just about all other dive watches ever made. It stands out quite a bit on the wrist due to its matte red bezel and contrasting gold hands. The bezel is more red than maroon as described by some members, but it does change in different light. In daylight it is bright red and indoors it looks more maroonish, but never quite maroon. When looking at this watch from a distance, there is no mistaking it is the Tudor Black Bay, to those WIS.
- The gold hands match beautifully with the lume colour, which looks crème to yellow in different lighting. Combined with the gilt dial chapter ring and minute markers it combines for a match made in heaven. Some members here have described the style as ‘faux’ (false) vintaging due to Tudor's choice of colours, but I disagree with this. Going faux would be using different materials designed to 'mimic' an aged watch, in color, texture and material. Tudor could have achieved this the same way Omega has done with their new Seamaster 300, but instead they just chose a colour of lume that matches well with the hands, similar to the original Sub with red bezel and gold coloured hands.
- The red is a very classy and flashy watch on the wrist, but not overly so. Its really the red that catches attention, more so than the gold hands, which look fantastic and not overly blingy due to the flat surface, as opposed to the two sided hands on other watches.

BLUE
- This is a very understated watch. It's completely different to the RED in terms of the way it looks on the wrist and the feelings it evokes. To me, it’s a 'Plain Jane' watch for everyday because it matches just about anything, as the blue is more of a dark, midnight color. From a distance it could be mistaken for any other sports dive watch, so it's not going to grab the attention the RED does.
- The white gold hands looked cheap to me at first, because I was so used to seeing gold hands on this watch, so I have since changed my opinion after spending more time with it and getting used to the color change. The whiter colored lume matches the watch well and make for a nice contrasty dial, and combined with the white gold chapter ring and minute markers, goes very well with the bracelet, which is why many describe this model as looking 'better' than the RED on bracelet....though I would say they look equally as good.
- The bezel on the blue is of a different finish to the matte bezel on the red. It's a more glossy finish that is more reflective and 'blingy'. At first I felt this made it look cheap, but I'm warming up to it now. If it was a matte surface it would surely look darker and the blue tone wouldn’t be so obvious.
- The dial itself is more of a true black compared to the RED’s black/brown color, but really it’s a dark grey matte material. I would have preferred it be pure black to enhance the contrast.

It's important to note that both have a silver internal side that reflects light onto the dial. Due to the gold hands of the RED, its easy to see why the dial can look very warm at times, and with the BLUE having white gold hands, it will look cold at times. This is due to the light bouncing of the sides and catches the colors of the hands and indices’ borders and affecting the color of the dial.

When it comes to legibility, both are about as good as it gets, but I’d give the slight edge to the RED as the lume color is very bright, even in daylight and shade and contrasts better than the whiter lume on the BLUE. At times, I felt the RED’s lume could almost be a little overwhelming in daylight as it turns very yellow against the red bezel, and the colors can be a little overwhelming.

I don't like either of these on straps due to the small gap between the case and strap end. If I was to choose though based on strap, the red's is much nicer, as distressed blue isn't to my liking.

Lastly, I'd like to add that for collectors and those that can live with the RED, that is the one to buy. It's just more special in many ways. The BLUE is great in it's own right and its heritage is substantiated, but it just doesn't have the WOW factor the RED has. So in the end which did I choose? BLUE.....because as my daily watch I just couldn't live with the RED. Later on when I re-build my collection, I will add the RED, no doubt. I hope this helps those having a tough time choosing between these tow brilliant watches.

Awesome photos leicashot...what color is the lume on the BB Blue version?
sportsmaven20 is offline   Reply With Quote