The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 April 2008, 02:01 PM   #1
jake
"TRF" Member

Watch: Green Submariner
My Dream Daytona (Pics)

So I started a different thread asking where I might be able to find a good watchmaker who can create custom dials and hands.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=38049

Somebody asked me why I wanted to do so and I mentioned it is because I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want this watch but Rolex has not made anything even close to it for many years. So I want to take a current Stainless Daytona and have it customized.

But I want to go beyond the dial and custom make hands as well. I can't stand the hands on the Daytona, they are useless at night and hard to read. I really don't like the fact that I paid over $10K for a watch and then Rolex realizes their hands are anemic and then come out with a better fat hands Daytona but won't let me upgrade to the wider hands..

I think the fat hands are better but still not ideal.

So I want new hands. I am not saying the hands I included on my new design are exactly how I want them, but they seem pretty good to me.

So this first image is a Prototype or very limited edition Daytona from the 70s. It sold at auction years ago for $300K US. Today it is probably worth around $500K perhaps making it the most valuable Rolex in existence.

I based my Design on the current Daytona because I think it has a much better build quality than a 1970s Daytona and a better body design, not to mention the triple lock clasp.

This first image is of the original that I love.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 7.jpg (45.5 KB, 2605 views)
Old 16 April 2008, 02:03 PM   #2
jake
"TRF" Member

This second image is my design that I want
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (37.6 KB, 2570 views)
Old 16 April 2008, 02:04 PM   #3
jake
"TRF" Member

Here is another cool color combo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 3.jpg (37.2 KB, 2551 views)
Old 16 April 2008, 02:05 PM   #4
jake
"TRF" Member

And Another:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 4.jpg (37.0 KB, 2541 views)
Old 16 April 2008, 02:06 PM   #5
jake
"TRF" Member

And Another one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 5.jpg (36.4 KB, 2529 views)
Old 16 April 2008, 02:08 PM   #6
jake
"TRF" Member

And the last
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 6.jpg (36.1 KB, 2512 views)
Old 16 April 2008, 02:09 PM   #7
jake
"TRF" Member

And for comparison here is the original or current minus the fat hands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (37.6 KB, 2504 views)
Old 16 April 2008, 02:13 PM   #8
jake
"TRF" Member

Of course I eliminated a lot of the unnecessary or superfluous writing on the dial because I think it look better with less.

I think Rolex got carried away with cluttering up the dials. I like the old school better. I know it is officially certified, but I don't need a sign on my watch to tell me or anybody else what the watch is.
Old 16 April 2008, 02:28 PM   #9
JCLZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LV
I like more the current Daytona. I don´t like the old one or the colors that you customized. Well, no everyone likes the green on my LV either way :-)
JCLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2008, 02:28 PM   #10
vegasvince
"TRF" Member

Watch: one from ShopNBC!
Your green dial version looks pimp!

SeaDweller "Z"
Yachtmaster "Z"
Oyster Perpetual "M"
vegasvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2008, 02:34 PM   #11
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
The red dial is cool. Look like Omega, but much better.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2008, 03:17 PM   #12
applebook
"TRF" Member

I like every design that you've made, especially the hands, but we won't see these on the Daytona.
Old 16 April 2008, 03:33 PM   #13
jake
"TRF" Member

This is just my first run-though on these Daytona designs.

I was so excited to get them up and share them with you, but I am certain I can improve some details. I intend to share them with the CEO of Rolex and see if they are interested in licensing my designs or paying some kind of royalty.

Save your pessimism, because I already know I am crazy and there are a billion reasons whey it won't work–but I am going to try anyway. The first time somebody tells you that something is impossible and you do it anyway, you learn to not listen the next time somebody tells you something is impossible.

If Steve gives me his permission I will also pitch Rolex on creating a strategic partnership with the RolexForums.com to create a world class feedback loop as discussed in this thread:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=37821

I wonder though if Rolex balks if there would be a third party opportunity to create a company that sells aftermarket parts for customizing Rolex watches. Kind of how AMG started before Mercedes bought them.

It seems harmless to me, but you never know until you get down to it. Does anybody know of how Rolex has responded in the past to third party developers who want to create a customization service and product?

Or does anybody know if there are already companies that offer these services that I do not know about?

I think Rolex should re-open their custom shop and encourage customers to pimp their ride just the way they like it. I was at a party a few days ago and I met a really nice guy who was also wearing an LV. We had a great conversation and I learned a lot from him, but it was still kind of weird seeing the exact same watch on his wrist.

It would kind of be like going to a party and meeting somebody and then they introduce you to their wife who is your wife's long lost unknown twin.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jake
Old 16 April 2008, 03:35 PM   #14
jake
"TRF" Member

I guarantee that at a minimum you will see the red one on my wrist.

It is crystal clear to me that I can have it custom modified, it is just a matter of $$$ and finding a capable person to complete it.

I can't help but wonder if there are many other people who would like to have a really cool and unique Rolex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post
I like every design that you've made, especially the hands, but we won't see these on the Daytona.
Old 16 April 2008, 03:37 PM   #15
jake
"TRF" Member

Hi Vincent!

I agree with you about the green one. It is strictly pimpin and off the hissle!!!

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasvince View Post
Your green dial version looks pimp!
Old 16 April 2008, 03:53 PM   #16
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Jake
I liked the one that you showed in another thread, that included the date.
My only concern about having "larger" hands is that they will obscure more of the secondary dials.
Though I liked the larger hands that you did on the DSSD, because they would hold more lume and I like to read a watch at night, for that my GMT II is good.
Old 16 April 2008, 04:07 PM   #17
jake
"TRF" Member

Hi Tony!!!

I agree about adding the date, but I don't think I would be able to customize a current Daytona with adding a date, but I believe I can customize it like the image above.

As far as the larger hands I don't care about the secondary dials. I am not even 100% certain of what they do and I have never used them. As a matter of fact, I just let the big hand go all the time like a second hand because I think it looks better. I think it looks weird having what appears to be a sweeping second hand that stands still. It makes it look like the watch is not functioning. They just look cool to me and before anybody accuses me of being a pretentious poser, I will save you the energy by admitting that I am not a purist and I simply like the way the watch looks and its vibe.

The only jewelry I ever wear are a watch and cufflinks and I rarely wear cufflinks, so my watch is pretty much it. After the way it looks there are only two things I really care about.

First and foremost is being able to tell the time and even the fatter minute hand on my LV Sub leaves a lot to be desiered. I am not talking about being 3000 feet underwater I am talking about waking up in the middle of the night and trying to read my watch.

As far as the hands on the daytona, forget about it.

The second thing I like on a watch is the date, but I can live without it if I have to. I would love it on the Daytona, but once again for me it is fashion more than a tool to time race car laps. If I was going to do that I would probably use my iphone anyway.

This conversation inevitably always kind of leads to why would anybody in their right mind pay over $10,000 US for a watch made out of stainless steel? I mean, what is the real value proposition for Rolex? Are Rolex watches fundamentally Tools or Toys or a hybrid?

Because if they are supposed to be real tools, i don't think they are worth the money. As a piece of timeless jewelry I think they are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat30093 View Post
Jake
I liked the one that you showed in another thread, that included the date.
My only concern about having "larger" hands is that they will obscure more of the secondary dials.
Though I liked the larger hands that you did on the DSSD, because they would hold more lume and I like to read a watch at night, for that my GMT II is good.
Old 16 April 2008, 04:12 PM   #18
cmr
"TRF" Member

you gotta do one in platinum!!!!!

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2008, 04:14 PM   #19
jake
"TRF" Member

Aren't Platinum, white gold and stainless almost indistinguishable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr View Post
you gotta do one in platinum!!!!!
Old 16 April 2008, 04:24 PM   #20
jake
"TRF" Member

Ironic my favorite Rolex is my LV sub and I love the colored Daytonas and you also have and LV and you can't stand the colors. I guess that is what makes a horserace a horserace!?!

Also kind of interesting the watch you say you "don't like" is perhaps the most expensive, collectable, rare and sought after Rolex on planet earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLZ View Post
I like more the current Daytona. I don´t like the old one or the colors that you customized. Well, no everyone likes the green on my LV either way :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb463x_evolution.jpg (24.9 KB, 2390 views)
Old 16 April 2008, 10:43 PM   #21
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Interesting designs, Jake!

Thanks for sharing!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2008, 01:30 AM   #22
Thani
Banned

Watch: Milgauss 116400 GV
man ur posts are so weird

whats up with 20 colors on every post? lool

and whats up with the stars in the thread title? lol
Thani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2008, 06:28 AM   #23
jake
"TRF" Member

Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "Most men see things as they are and wonder why? I dream of things that never were and wonder 'Why not!?!'"

The purpose of the stars in the thread seem to have served their purpose, which is probably the reason you wear a Milgauss, and yes I know I am weird–and damn proud of it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thani View Post
man ur posts are so weird

whats up with 20 colors on every post? lool

and whats up with the stars in the thread title? lol
Old 17 April 2008, 07:01 AM   #24
Thani
Banned

Watch: Milgauss 116400 GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake View Post
Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "Most men see thing as they are and wonder why? I dream of things that never were and wonder 'Why not!?!'"

The purpose of the stars in the thread seem to have served their purpose, which is probably the reason you wear a Milgauss, and yes I know I am weird–and damn proud of it!!!

great to know that jake !!

i know their weird but i still enjoy them.. keep em coming pal
Thani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2008, 09:59 AM   #25
jake
"TRF" Member

I can't seem to get this watch out of my head!?!

I updated a few details and added the other great red and white combo.

Please understand that the three dials I designed are identical in every sense to the current Daytona as far as scale and positioning, so all you would have to do is repaint the dial, add new markers & hands and Viola!!!

In this illustration I added the current Daytona, and the thing that stands out in my mind is how perfect the old-school retro-dial looks. The whole "3 Circles" in the larger circle looks so great. This new design just takes my breath away and I can't wait to make one.

As much as I like the current Daytona I think the old school looks a million times better. In my mind the new-old-school design makes the the current watch look old fashioned. The new one looks so much more balanced, cohesive and has much more presence and depth.

I was also imagining how in reality you could get that great deep-rich green vibe like the first image? I wonder if you could cut the green section out of glass so it would have really cool visual depth attributes? Has anybody ever seen a dial made from glass?

What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 4.jpg (68.4 KB, 1520 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 5.jpg (69.5 KB, 1519 views)
Old 17 April 2008, 10:20 AM   #26
cmr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Aren't Platinum, white gold and stainless almost indistinguishable?

yes sir, for the pictures it would appear the same. i was just thinking an all silver one would look good with some red on it. i like your photoshopping and the threads are good to stimulate conversation. some will like it, some won't but it is fun to see and talk about. thanks for taking the time to do it.

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2008, 10:37 AM   #27
jake
"TRF" Member

Hi Marcus,

Thank you for sharing your kind words. I tried to create a silver one with red for you and this was as far as I could get. The other one was a "beautiful mistake." By the way, I don't use Photoshop, I use Illustrator.

It is my pleasure to share these with you. If you don't have dreams they can't come true.

In my mind there would be a strong demand for these aftermarket dials and hands since so many people are sick of the lack of options from Rolex. Like on the Stainless you can have black or white. Only offering black and white to me seems like watching a black and white TV.

Plus, whenever I run into somebody wearing the same anything it makes me feel weird. I don't care if it is a shirt or watch or shoes. There have got to be a zillion black and white Daytonas on earth, but none like these. I imagine if I made offered an aftermarket dial and hand kit it would sell for around $1500 US, and in my mind would make the watch a whole different creature. When my pal added a meteorite dial to his stainless daytona it was incredible how cool it looked, and nobody else has one.

I remember in the 80s when Rolex got really popular there were aftermarket dials, but they were just different colors or covered with diamonds. These dials and hands are about making really cool designs that look great and are fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr View Post
yes sir, for the pictures it would appear the same. i was just thinking an all silver one would look good with some red on it. i like your photoshopping and the threads are good to stimulate conversation. some will like it, some won't but it is fun to see and talk about. thanks for taking the time to do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (68.9 KB, 1509 views)
Old 17 April 2008, 11:24 AM   #28
Paperbill

Watch: Daytona SS
Quote:
This second image is my design that I want
Here is a close "Omega"
Attached Images
File Type: gif 35066100.gif (35.9 KB, 1495 views)
Paperbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2008, 11:42 AM   #29
jake
"TRF" Member

Hi Bill!

I am aware of that Omega, and several times I thought about buying it but I just can't for some reason. It is such a copycat of Rolex...they unfortunately copied the anemic indices and hands.

How ironic is it that Omega is smart enough to copy one of the coolest Rolex watches ever made, and even add a date to it, but Rolex does not have the insight and wisdom to produce it. I think Rolex is resting on their laurels.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbill View Post
Here is a close "Omega"
Old 17 April 2008, 11:57 AM   #30
Paperbill

Watch: Daytona SS
Quote:
Hi Bill!

I am aware of that Omega, and several times I thought about buying it but I just can't for some reason. It is such a copycat of Rolex...they unfortunately copied the anemic indices and hands.

How ironic is it that Omega is smart enough to copy one of the coolest Rolex watches ever made, and even add a date to it, but Rolex does not have the insight and wisdom to produce it. I think Rolex is resting on their laurels.

Jake
I agree, too bad Rolex doesn't read these forums....
Paperbill is offline   Reply With Quote