The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 20 December 2014, 10:05 AM   #1
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
First disappointing AP Clearwater service

I guess I've got to vent since I've been without my ROC for two months. I sent it in to Clearwater in October for a malfunctioning chronograph with a letter explaining the problems I was having. I was really excited to get a call from AP yesterday and even more excited when I came home from work to see the FexEx package sitting on the table. When I got to the watch, it looked perfect. But sadly, I'll be without it again for awhile because the hour hand of the chronograph still doesn't move despite a full movement service and $1400.

The other disappointing thing is that on the timegrapher, it is running +10-12 sec/day. It should have been regulated and should be running at or near COSC specifications. Isn't this part of service?

Now Betsy and the gang at AP have been wonderful to deal with and I know AP will make it right, but it is frustrating because after two months, the whole reason for which I sent it in was not addressed. The cynic in me thinks that the watch service industry is so focused on promoting full movement services that they ignore the fact that it isn't always the cure-all. I would think that if someone sent it in to get the chronograph fixed that they would test the chronograph before sending it out. Now I'll have to be without it another few weeks .

I really hope I do not buy another watch while my AP is making its fourth trip to the spa

Chronograph Video
http://youtu.be/xgWbnq5j63Y

Timegrapher Photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TImegrapher.jpg (80.6 KB, 1009 views)
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 10:38 AM   #2
texex91
"TRF" Member

Can you please give us more details "fourth trip to spa" and what exactly has transpired.

AP service has ALWAYS been spot on and within 3-4 weeks, so wondering why two months in Clearwater?

AP service is about the best when it comes to turn time, so I too am surprised.

Sorry to hear about any challenges.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 03:00 PM   #3
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Paul,

The first trip was supposed to be a simple regulation and polishing because I was told it was fully serviced before I bought it (long story but it was non-AP service). It came back looking perfect about 6 weeks later (they did replace hands, gaskets, etc. and it was about $900), but when my 1.5 link came in, I had trouble getting a link out due to the Loctite despite heating with a hair dryer so back it went for a couple of weeks (they did this for free). This third trip was because for longer periods of time, I found that the chronograph hour and minutes hands weren't advancing. So after two months and $1400 (and strangely they replaced the hands and gaskets again), here I am with a frozen hour hand still and a fourth trip looming. I've had it out of my possession for four months already in the past year with more time away to come. But in the end, I still love AP and know that four months would be speedy for a Patek.

Steve
Old 20 December 2014, 03:31 PM   #4
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
The lift angle for the F Piguet 1185 movement should have been set to 53* on the timegrapher not 52*. Regardless stuff like this happens. APSC will resolve it... it just takes time.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 11:12 PM   #5
texex91
"TRF" Member

Keep us in the loop how it gets addressed over time. As stated other brands would takes 4-6 months every trip.

I know AP will correct any issues.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2014, 01:55 AM   #6
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
The lift angle for the F Piguet 1185 movement should have been set to 53* on the timegrapher not 52*. Regardless stuff like this happens. APSC will resolve it... it just takes time.
Good catch Mike, I forgot to change it. Not sure how much difference 1 degree will make but i'll find out
Old 21 December 2014, 04:04 AM   #7
applegrape
Banned

sorry to hear that!

my ap diver fc broke when i use for running, i sent it under warranty but i wait for 3 months.
applegrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2014, 02:11 AM   #8
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Changing the lift angle to 53 made it a bit worse ranging from +11-14sec/day.

And tried to call them today but they're closed until January 5th. Argh!
Old 24 December 2014, 08:31 PM   #9
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Man that really sucks, luckily you have a few others to keep you company, I dread the day when I'll have to send my PP for service, 8 MONTHS!!!!!!! Now that's really crazy….
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2014, 12:29 AM   #10
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Man that really sucks, luckily you have a few others to keep you company, I dread the day when I'll have to send my PP for service, 8 MONTHS!!!!!!! Now that's really crazy….

The long service times do make a jump to Patek less likely for me although I'd absolutely love a blue 5980.

At least I can still wear my ROC. I saw that Bill got the wrong link for his jumbo so he has to wait until the 5th to straighten it out. It must have been a little crazy for them trying to get as much done as possibly before the break.
Old 20 January 2015, 04:02 AM   #11
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Update: got a call from Betsy and apparently it was just the actual hand. So apparently the pinion was moving but the hand wasn't moving with it. I'm still not totally sure why the chronograph function [all hands/registers working] isn't tested prior to sending it back, but all I care about is getting it back and being done with service for awhile. Can't wait until tomorrow! AP's after purchase care overall is still pretty hard to beat.
Old 20 January 2015, 08:23 AM   #12
GOB
"TRF" Member

I'm a big fan of AP, only have owned a Rubberclad and then a Dual Time. Tons of issues with the Rubberclad, but decided to go back as I don't know what exactly is that draws me to come back to the brand. Had issue with the Dual Time too, to the point AD gave me the money back as I did not want to wait months to have a watch I already paid for. Here I am a year later after returning it and having sold the replacement for it, and all I can think about is "I wonder if third time's the charm?"
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 08:50 AM   #13
mspeed76
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
sorry to hear about this, and glad AP will/has made it right.
mspeed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 09:45 AM   #14
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
This really sucks, sorry that happened. At least APSC is making everything right

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2015, 08:19 AM   #15
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Am I over-reacting?

Well my watch is back and the hour and minute hands of the chronograph work perfectly. So now I'd like TRF's opinion of the chronograph's seconds hand. I've started and stopped the chronograph many times and it resets to the left of 12:00 . Should I send it back in again?

Part of me says screw it I've got a two year warranty and it has been in so many times already. It doesn't effect the function of the chronograph and I don't time things to the second.

But I think a bigger part of me says I just paid handsomely for full service, why does it point to the "6" in "60" when it was just sent back specifically for a chronograph problem that was supposed to addressed when they did the movement service? Maybe you guys will consider this too OCD, but now its what I see when I look at the watch. Would it be unreasonable to ask them to re-align the hand?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2756.jpg (80.3 KB, 471 views)
Old 21 January 2015, 08:32 AM   #16
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
Well my watch is back and the hour and minute hands of the chronograph work perfectly. So now I'd like TRF's opinion of the chronograph's seconds hand. I've started and stopped the chronograph many times and it resets to the left of 12:00 . Should I send it back in again?

Part of me says screw it I've got a two year warranty and it has been in so many times already. It doesn't effect the function of the chronograph and I don't time things to the second.

But I think a bigger part of me says I just paid handsomely for full service, why does it point to the "6" in "60" when it was just sent back specifically for a chronograph problem that was supposed to addressed when they did the movement service? Maybe you guys will consider this too OCD, but now its what I see when I look at the watch. Would it be unreasonable to ask them to re-align the hand?
Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about the issues but glad AP has been responsive and trying to rectify the issues. I agree that I would expect AP to test all aspects of an issue with the chronograph complication before returning it to the owner, but glad they took care of it.

Regarding the second hand, it would definitely bug me that it's not aligned and as much as I would hate to send the watch in again, I personally won't be able to live with it. I guess a lot of us WIS are OCD

Let us know what you decide
MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2015, 08:48 AM   #17
bmpwatch
"TRF" Member

I don't think your overreacting
bmpwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2015, 09:32 AM   #18
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

that's obnoxious to say the least, i'd be pissed. i swore off breitling when i sent my watch to be serviced and they noted scratches on the dial and wanted me to replace everything even though they were the last ones to open the watch and replaced everything the prior service. I personally would probably just wear it as is and send it back right before the warranty expires. I *just* got back my offshore from servicing literally today after 12 weeks, and havent noticed anything amiss yet. Did not realize they refurbish the strap too, I requested a new hornback and they sent me back my original one that now looks brand new.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2015, 10:21 AM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Get it done, too off.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2015, 11:29 AM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Bummer. I would send it back because it's going to drive you nuts. Maybe they will hook you up for the trouble.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2015, 11:46 AM   #21
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
That would really annoy me. Get it fixed...
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2015, 11:53 AM   #22
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

Watch: me sell games
Quite the journey, get it fixed. My biggest pet peeve is a off centered chrono hand.
ELITEVIDEOGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2015, 12:25 PM   #23
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks all. I emailed Betsy this evening with the picture and so will have the watch and packing materials ready to send it back tomorrow if she agrees. The cool thing with FedEx is that if this goes out tomorrow, it will be back in Clearwater Thursday. I would hope that this is a quick fix [actually had this happen with RSC Dallas and a Daytona chronograph hand and it took about 10 days]. But I do think I have to do it. After all, with all of this time away, what's another couple of weeks? Every watch has a story and after all of this is settled, I think it will have to be a long term keeper.
Old 21 January 2015, 12:35 PM   #24
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
I'm perplexed why this wasn't spotted during quality control... I wouldn't be too understanding given your history
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2015, 04:47 AM   #25
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Okay the watch is on its way back. Betsy discussed it with their watchmaker (who probably hates me) but she was very understanding. I wish it were just parallax (I can see that it split the "60" in my first picture) but it isn't and in the end, I'm the one who will look at the watch for the next few years before any servicing should be required so I'm getting it fixed. Maybe if any good comes out of it, they modify their QC checklist and no one else has any problems like I have down the road.
Old 11 February 2015, 11:48 AM   #26
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Alright, it just spent 3 more weeks in Clearwater and I should have it back tomorrow! I'm thinking of declaring the AP's residency in Florida instead of Indiana for tax purposes but I'm hoping that changes soon
Old 12 February 2015, 09:58 AM   #27
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

As a wrap up, I received the watch today and everything is perfect as far as I can tell. Hand alignment is spot on and the chrono works as it should. The amplitude and rate are better (correct lift angle now) so I'm a happy camper. I think one of the benefits to buying a well-made mechanical watch is that no matter what happens, most of it can be fixed. As a whole, I've got to say AP service is top notch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 February 2015, 01:24 PM   #28
5Zigen
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
Good to hear AP service made everything right at the end.
5Zigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 10:28 PM   #29
Colin W
"TRF" Member

At least they got it right in the end - however it has been a very frustrating journey for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk