The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 29 April 2008, 05:26 AM   #1
ZROLEX

Detailed comparison GMTII & GMTIIC

Hi everyone!
I know I know a lot talks and threads about differences between 16710 & 116710 but I wanted to put my own observations and fine details about differences mostly in looks and feel of the watch. In no way I'm trying to put GMTIIC above older GMTII! Please, the holders of 16710 do not think that way! I love both watches and it is the best GMT's in the world, I just want to put my observations on how Rolex made the best GMT even better!
First of all these are the updates I knew even before I bought 116710:
Updated 3186 movement and parachrom-blu spring, new thicker case with triplock crown, Ceramic bezel, ROLEXROLEX rehaut, Maxi Dial, New bracelet with polished full center links, New clasp with easy link. So these are the updates as we all know...
NOW THE FINE DETAILS I REALLY LOVE ABOUT GMTIIC :

THE BRACELET:
The new bracelet is AWESOME!!! It is great not because it's new but because of the updates it has. I like to wear my watch tight and it was always hard for me to adjust the clasp evenly on the other side. On my previous GMT II and DJ I couldn't make the clasp perfectly center. Now on my GMTIIC I can finally adjust the clasp perfectly in the center as it allows me to have four links on the side of 6o'clock!
The feel of the bracelet is great. Although there is no noticeable difference in the feel when the watch is on the wrist except the weight, but huge difference when you hold both of the watches side by side, the older one rattles MUCH more and feels cheaper due to hollow center links.
Even though the center links are polished and scratches much easier than brushed links I'd say I really like the look. Especially at night the difference between brushed and polished links is so cool! It gives different dimension to the look of the bracelet. Also I don’t think there is a possibility to stretch as easy as hollow links, so it makes it much sturdier bracelet in functionality as well.
THE CLASP:
The clasp itself is a piece of art in mho. It is heavy and well constructed. The old one is not near to it though the functionality part of it is identical. I always thought that clasp on Rolexes are some how cheap due to it’s construction and thin metal. I always liked my Seamaster bracelet and clasp much more due to those facts. But not anymore! The crown stamp on the new clasp is great and looks much sharper to the old one, because it looks like it is somehow attached to the bracelet. Also interestingly the clasp is not scratching the bracelet. On older ones clasp was rubbing to the bracelet leaving marks but here I can not see any, it looks like inside of the clasp (the side where easy link is) made that way so it doesn’t contact with all of the bracelet, but just small part of it rubs against each other so it gives much less scratches between and all of it happens inside of the clasp so you don’t see any scratches on the bracelet. Also the safety lock on it works great and when it’s closed you practically won’t see the seams between the clasp and it all looks as one part and when you open it won’t wobble and gives the right feel. The inside of clasp also looks different. Instead of two thin brushed metals now it has a sturdy thick metals which goes into each other when you close the clasp that way it aligns perfectly and is very comfortable.

THE CASE:
Well, the case is updated and a bit thicker, somehow similar to SD but very comfortable due to case back is flatter. I have never complained about older cases but the new one is definitely more comfortable. And yes, having a triplock crown is a plus, not only it looks better but it’s functions although both watches are the same 100m water proof.
THE BEZEL:
One word- OUTSTANDING. I love the fact that the clicks are one hour changes, so it’s really easy to change the time on it even not looking at the bezel. If you know how many hours you need to chage just simply click it that much time and that’s it. Very easy to use in mho. Also I like the fact that the bezel is thicker and almost on the same level with the crystal, which gives more protection to the crystal as there are no edges coming out. And it clicks really sweet, you know what I mean!!! Also Ceramic makes it bit more blingy but I can live with that knowing it is virtually indestructible. Lot of people don’t like the big numbers on it but I really like it and I don’t find it is too busy, of course everyone can have their own opinion and taste. After using it for a while the previous bezel looks somehow empty to me.
THE DIAL:
Maxi dial is a plus. Looks bold and glows longer. Once you like the maxi dial there is no turn back. It somehow completes the watch and the green 24hr hand is very nice touch, although I can’t say which one I like more red or green. I guess they are both great colors on those dials!
THE CRYSTAL:
Always liked the Cyclops. I think it looks great and distinguishes the Rolex, although I like SD without it as well. Now the new GMT IIC has a antireflection coating on the Cyclops so it is much easier to read the date! Not a huge thing but really nice touch!!!
CONCLUSION:
In my humble opinion the new GMT IIC is a great watch with all the updates and small details and it is the watch that I would never flip. As I mentioned the previous is the best GMT in the world, so Rolex made the best even better! The GMT IIC!
I hope you enjoyed my observations about the watch and if you have anything to add to it please do so! Thank you very much for reading my long post!

BOTH WRIST SHOTS

ZROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2008, 05:29 AM   #2
Bobareno

Nice info, thanks. Nice pictures also.
Bobareno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2008, 05:59 AM   #3
Texsubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSGMTc
Nice write-up! I agree with your sentiments, although it did take a while for me to warm up to the GMTc's features, including the maxi dial and supercase. Now, I love the GMTc and its looks.
Wife's SS WG MOP Ladies DJ Z series
Texsubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2008, 07:48 AM   #4
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Great review! This oughta be in the reviews section!

Thanks for sharing!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2008, 07:52 AM   #5
Scarface
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex , Omega
Thank you, nice review
Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph
Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2008, 08:32 AM   #6
CrownNewbie
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info...about to jump in and was considering the older GMT simply for the cost savings but my heart is with the ceramic bezel. Does anyone have an opinion of going through a grey market dealer versus an AD? At this point, it looks like I'd only be saving about $800. What would I miss by not buying from an AD?
CrownNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2008, 09:01 AM   #7
mike
"TRF" Member

What a great review! Well done!!

A few pics if I may for comparison,

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2008, 09:35 AM   #8
veefour
"TRF" Member

IMO GMT IIc would be perfect with a red 24h hand, and a brushed centre link. Anyone?
Old 29 April 2008, 11:23 AM   #9
Texsubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSGMTc
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownNewbie View Post
Does anyone have an opinion of going through a grey market dealer versus an AD? At this point, it looks like I'd only be saving about $800. What would I miss by not buying from an AD?
There have been threads about this, but I personally prefer buying from AD, but that's just my opinion. I like to get the peace of mind, and the Rolex USA warranty. If you do buy from gray dealers, make sure you buy from reputable dealers, who may also offer the same warranty work.
Wife's SS WG MOP Ladies DJ Z series
Texsubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2008, 11:55 AM   #10
GMTII Owner
"TRF" Member

Watch: S/S GMT Master IIc
Great review. I loved it so much I bought one. I can't tell you how excited I get looking at that watch on my wrist. This watch will be one my son inherits from me one day as I plan on keeping it.
Old 29 April 2008, 11:58 AM   #11
MAC4130
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I agree with you 110%!
Here is my wristshot! and a studio photo not mine but that I love about this watch!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R2.jpg (58.8 KB, 4425 views)
File Type: jpg 2toneGMTs.jpg (40.6 KB, 4418 views)
Rolex Daytona 116500LN Black, Rolex Daytona 116500LN White, Rolex TT GMTIIC, Panerai 88, Cartier Santos TT Auto, Omega Seamaster GMT Bond Co-axial, Omega Constellation SS Auto, Tag Heuer Carrera Chrono Tachy Auto
MAC4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 12:32 PM   #12
ZROLEX

Thanks guys!!!
I hope you enjoyed the detailed review!!!!!!
Old 30 April 2008, 12:50 PM   #13
briantheartist

Watch: GMT Master II
I'd like to see more pics!!

Plz
briantheartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2008, 12:59 PM   #14
jake
"TRF" Member

Watch: Green Submariner
Superb Review!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZROLEX View Post
Thanks guys!!!
I hope you enjoyed the detailed review!!!!!!
Old 30 April 2008, 01:04 PM   #15
jake
"TRF" Member

Watch: Green Submariner
Hi Mike!!!

Superb comparison photos!!! I enjoyed them very much.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
What a great review! Well done!!

A few pics if I may for comparison,
Old 30 April 2008, 01:10 PM   #16
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Nice comparison and great photos everyone.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2008, 04:58 AM   #17
ZROLEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantheartist View Post
I'd like to see more pics!!

Plz
Here you go!

And this is not my but a very nice photo

Old 5 May 2008, 04:30 AM   #18
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Hey friend.

Very helpfull i am going through the same traumatic dialema in regard to flipping my old GMT II for the new GMT IIc i have found it very interesting, and i will wait and thing a while, my biggest issue is with the bracelet of the GMT II, does anyone know if the new braclet from the GMT IIc will fit the classic?

thanks
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2008, 04:38 AM   #19
SabaDen

Watch: Daytona ... PAM190
If only they come up with the coke or pepsi bezel for the GMTIIc ... that'll be a hit.
SabaDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2008, 04:59 AM   #20
fly-dad
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by veefour View Post
IMO GMT IIc would be perfect with a red 24h hand, and a brushed centre link. Anyone?
I'm with you regarding the Red 24 hr hand but the polished center links have really grown on me and I now love the look of the watch.

The problem with the green hand is that it is difficult to see against the black background.
fly-dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2008, 05:35 AM   #21
harvey
"TRF" Member

great review...great pics...

i had the choice this week for the gmt II (coke bezel) at list price of £2800 ish or the gmt IIc at £3600, also at list. i plumped for the former as the the gmt II is simply sublime.
Old 5 May 2008, 05:39 AM   #22
Beef
"TRF" Member

Wonderful review. A new member was just debating with himself in another thread over whether to flip a GMT II for GMT IIc. This should be very helpful.
Old 5 May 2008, 05:47 AM   #23
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Great review. I love the watch. It is my first Rolex after wearing a Tag for many years. I love everything about the watch and have no words of criticism whatsoever. I have the TT version and am absolutely thrilled to be able to own such a fine watch. It had a price increase and, I hear another price increase is happening in June, so I got it before the 1st increase otherwise that would have probably priced me out of the watch. Here is my showoff picture:

This was an excellent review. I agree with whoever said this should be in the review section. I agree with all of your points. I don't think the center links should be brushed. I like the shininess on the SS and TT version. I also think the clasp is awesome. The watch fits much better and is more comfortable than my Submariner.

Thanks for the great pictures and great review.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2008, 06:01 AM   #24
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Nice review. The new GMT is undoubtably technically better but I think the old GMT II looks sharper on your wrist.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2008, 09:01 AM   #25
ZROLEX

Thanks guys! I'm glad you like the review.
Do you know how I can move it to the Review section? Or maybe I can ask moderator to do it?
Old 5 May 2008, 09:24 AM   #26
OYSTERMANN
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ,DD,GMTIIc,Sub
What a fine review you've posted. Really enjoyed reading it - especially as I bought a new GMT IIc in March.

Very well put together and informative.

Thanks for the effort you made sharing your enthusiasm for 2 very fine watches - both the old and new GMTs.

116231 SS/RG DATEJUST 2007
118238 YG DAY-DATE 2007
116713 LN SS/YG GMT IIc 2008
116613 LB SS/YG SUBMARINER 2009
216570 SS EXPLORER II 2013
116520 SS DAYTONA 2014
OYSTERMANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2008, 11:24 AM   #27
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
I agree with Bo, this is great (the entire thread, not merely the excellent review post)! Should be in the reviews column so it can be located and enjoyed that much quicker. Outstanding photos, too!

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2008, 11:51 AM   #28
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Newton View Post
Great review. I love the watch. It is my first Rolex after wearing a Tag for many years. I love everything about the watch and have no words of criticism whatsoever. I have the TT version and am absolutely thrilled to be able to own such a fine watch. It had a price increase and, I hear another price increase is happening in June, so I got it before the 1st increase otherwise that would have probably priced me out of the watch. Here is my showoff picture:

This was an excellent review. I agree with whoever said this should be in the review section. I agree with all of your points. I don't think the center links should be brushed. I like the shininess on the SS and TT version. I also think the clasp is awesome. The watch fits much better and is more comfortable than my Submariner.

Thanks for the great pictures and great review.

Terry Newton
\\

Great pic of the TT
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 02:09 PM   #29
ZROLEX

Guys, how I can transfer this post to REVIEWS section?
Old 18 May 2008, 05:17 PM   #30
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey.eu View Post
great review...great pics...

i had the choice this week for the gmt II (coke bezel) at list price of £2800 ish or the gmt IIc at £3600, also at list. i plumped for the former as the the gmt II is simply sublime.
THe new GMT in its own right is a very nice watch, but imo not at the expense of the classic GMT 11. I understand why Rolex have done it, but I suppose I'm old school and love the classic looks.

The classic GMT is long lived, time tested, bullet proof movment, and a real tool watch, the New GMT is a lovely piece, but too jewellry like to be a real tool watch.

You damage that bezel (as someone on TZ has done) expect a bill for £1000.

Damage the classic GMT bezel, expect a bill for £100.

I suppose the classic designs caught my eye many years ago and still do.