The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 17 May 2008, 04:55 PM   #1
Klink

Watch: Rolex GMT IIc
Another Viewpoint on GMTIIc in SS

I've always loved watches. I grew up in England where I went to a boarding school for seven years from age 11. There's very little privacy in a boarding school and a nice watch on my wrist became a little oasis of privacy when I studied it.

I always liked robust, diver-type watches. I got my first divers' watch at about the age of 11 or 12, I took it into the bath with me, only for the crystal to fog up within minutes. I guess I should have realised that a "Fashiontime" brand watch wasn't really waterproof!

That set back just made me more determined to have a "proper" waterproof, robust watch. My first Rolex was an Explorer I, bought with my first earnings after graduation. From there I moved up to a GMT II, then a Rolex Date, with Oyster and silver dial.

For the last few years I haven't had a Rolex, as kids, houses and other incidental expenses have got in the way. Then I started to catch up with the money going out the door and a new Rolex looked like well-earned compensation for all the long hours and stress.

I hung out here, on eBay, and elsewhere. I was not a huge fan of the new styles of Rolex. I found them a bit more clunky not quite as elegant as the older ones I was used to. Then I read Minus4plus6's comparison review of the GMT II vs the GMT IIc and it all started to fall into place.

"Research" crossed the border into "Obsession" and didn't look back. I went to my AD and held both the GMT and the GMT IIc in my hands. All of a sudden the timeless GMT II which I'd owned for many years looked... old fashioned. The clasp looked like a cheap Seiko's. The hands were spindly, the dots too small. The winder looked like a pimple!

In comparison, the GMT IIc looked like the watch the GMT II always wanted to be. The little irritations of the strap becoming either too big in cold weather or too tight in hot weather were solved with the "comfort link". The clasp looked, felt and worked like nothing you'd ever find on a $300 watch.

The broader case and lugs stopped looking like change for change's sake as soon as I slipped it on. Together with the flatter bottom, the GMT IIc rode like no previous Rolex I'd owned - flat and stable on my wrist, with no "flop" and no tendency to disappear off the back of my wrist.

I bought it soon after. The AD, Swiss Concept in Pitt St, Sydney, was excellent. They had a huge stock, and perfect manners. If you go there, ask for "Thai'. Lovely bloke and loves his watches.

He carefully peeled off all the plastic film (although he recommended leaving the film on the clasp as long as possible), did the paperwork and there I was with the best watch in the world on my wrist. I was so happy.

A few weeks later I'm still happy. Yes, the new Oyster bracelet is more shiny. If I could've had the brushed finish I probably would have gone for it, just for the practicality. But the polished centre links have the lustre of surgical instruments. This is not plastic chrome people, this is a very hard substance, polished to a mirror finish.

Yeah it gets scratched. Build a bridge.

The green font for GMT MASTER II and the matching 24h hand is genius. When we were redecorating our house we had a lady colourist come around and give us some colours. I learned then that there are people on this planet who see things much more clearly than I do. Some of them must work for Rolex. I always thought anything but red would look tacky and cheap - probably because every other colour has been tried by Citizen, Seiko etc. Then some genevois(e) pulls this out of a hat. Flipping genius.

The new bezel instantly separates the GMT IIc from all previous generations of GMT, Submariners and Sea Dwellers. Like the bracelet and the colour, the ceramic bezel makes the GMT IIc distinct from all lesser watches. You'll never find anything as complex and beautiful on a Citizen.

My GMT IIc keeps excellent time. I'm not obsessive about accuracy, but the watch is remaining within COSC specifications, even though I wear it 24/7, including running, in the shower and sleeping.

I notice that the GMT IIc seems to drive the owners of other sports Rolexes crazy. They can't keep their eyes off it! It is still a very rare watch in Australia. As of May, 2008 I haven't yet seen anyone else wearing one, or indeed any ceramic bezeled Rolex. That's kinda cool, but I know I'll still be enjoying this watch when it's yesterday's news.

Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Hammer
"TRF" Member

Great review, and great Watch.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2008, 10:25 PM   #3
mike
"TRF" Member

Congrats on a great watch and thank you for such a great and thoughtfull review.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 01:07 AM   #4
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Great review, Nick!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this awesome Rolex model!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 07:38 AM   #5
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Great Review Nick. I'm glad you like your new watch. The GMT is far different than the Rolex I was originally looking at buying. I was looking at buying a bluesy Submariner or a SS Date Submariner or a Sea Dweller. Imagine to my surprise when I walk away from an AD with a TT GMT-Master IIc which I absolutely love. It is an awesome watch.

I hope yours continues to grow on you more each passing day. The right-up and reasoning for your purchase was perfect.

Wear it in good health.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 09:16 AM   #6
Magik

Watch: Sub-Date & GMT ll
Thank you for the review. I enjoyed reading it and seeing your pictures.
Magik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2008, 03:34 PM   #7
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Newton View Post
The right-up and reasoning for your purchase was perfect. Terry Newton
I must've been drunk when I wrote this. Nope, been sober for over 28 years.

It should say; "Write-Up" instead of; "right-up." One of those faux pas that happens when the mind is faster than the typing fingers.

I'm on the next word in my brain when writing the past word with my fingers. I still hunt-and-peck type instead of having memorized the keyboard. I was busy chasing girls rather than learning to type. Girls were so much more fun. (Still are).

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Old 19 May 2008, 10:03 AM   #8
ZROLEX

Thanks for posting this great review and your opinions about GMT IIC. I totally agree with all you said especially bracelet and clasp updates. It seems a lot of people don't like polished center links, but I loved it when first saw it. It gives different dimension to the bracelet in different lightings and yes it feels SO SOLID! I love my GMT IIC and I'm sure this one is a keeper and never a fleeeeper
ZROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2008, 11:03 AM   #9
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Great review! I too and a proud owner of a GMT II C. Love it.

What kind of car are you driving? I love that logo on the steering wheel!
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2008, 05:53 PM   #10
Klink

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiVet View Post
Great review! I too and a proud owner of a GMT II C. Love it.

What kind of car are you driving? I love that logo on the steering wheel!
One of these:

It's an Australian muscle car, made by Holden (Australian GM). 6 litre V8, 410 hp. You can find out more here: www.hsv.com.au
Old 19 May 2008, 10:17 PM   #11
Klink

Thanks for all the positive feedback. This is a friendly place to hang out.

Peace out.
Old 19 May 2008, 10:31 PM   #12
Brandonsan

Love the car and the watch !
Brandonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 05:20 AM   #13
RolexNoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink View Post
One of these:

It's an Australian muscle car, made by Holden (Australian GM). 6 litre V8, 410 hp. You can find out more here: www.hsv.com.au
WOW....Nice watch and nice car!! 6L V8...I wonder if it's the same engine under the Cady CTS V8...
RolexNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 05:59 AM   #14
HMRoth
"TRF" Member

Great review. I'm 7 weeks into into my ss GMT IIc. I've been back to the AD to try on a GMT II red/black because of the bling factor in my c and also concluded that the heft of the bracelet and clasp, along with the touch of green and of course the ceramic have me wearing a new classic. (although there's something about that old school...)
HMRoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2008, 09:34 PM   #15
el-piloto
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Great review!

The GMTIIc is gorgeous... and the car is amazing too!
Must admit, I didn't know them, but thanks to your link, I'm up-to-date...!
Marvelous vehicles!

& B/R

Petros
Old 23 May 2008, 01:56 AM   #16
dankap

does the black ceramic ring with the numbers rub off or get scratched easily?
dankap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2008, 01:07 AM   #17
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankap View Post
does the black ceramic ring with the numbers rub off or get scratched easily?
Being Ceramic I would say it is damn near bullet-proof. I have had my TT since December and it is as good as the day it came off the showroom floor.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Old 24 May 2008, 03:32 AM   #18
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Newton View Post
I must've been drunk when I wrote this. Nope, been sober for over 28 years.

It should say; "Write-Up" instead of; "right-up." One of those faux pas that happens when the mind is faster than the typing fingers.

I'm on the next word in my brain when writing the past word with my fingers. I still hunt-and-peck type instead of having memorized the keyboard. I was busy chasing girls rather than learning to type. Girls were so much more fun. (Still are).

Terry Newton
Terry, you've got nothing on me for typos and spelling mistakes, its your first!

Excellent review BTW and fantastic watch. I am struggelling with duality on mine though, see my many, and boreish posts on the subject!

Congrats on your watch, wear and enjoy!

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2008, 03:39 AM   #19
GMTII Owner
"TRF" Member

Watch: S/S GMT Master IIc
Nick,

Great review and thanks for sharing your thoughts on such an awesome watch. It makes me feel good to read other people's thoughts relative to the same watch I own. The thing that catches my eye each time I look at my watch is the ceramic bezel. The bezel is a beauty!

For a couple of years, I had my eye on getting an SS Sub w/date and all but was going to get one. Then one day, my AD showed me the IIc. I fell in love at first site with the watch. I put it on and the rest is history.

BTW, you're driving on the wrong side of the road....

Thanks again for sharing...

John
Old 3 June 2008, 05:19 PM   #20
wayne_zmh
"TRF" Member

Enjoyable review. Before reading, saw ur pic, stright knew u r Aussi coz the car logo. BTW I'm in sydney too.
wayne_zmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2008, 02:36 PM   #21
Klink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_zmh View Post
Enjoyable review. Before reading, saw ur pic, stright knew u r Aussi coz the car logo. BTW I'm in sydney too.
Hi Wayne. What Rollie do you have? Have you had a look in Swiss Concept yet? Great AD.
Old 4 June 2008, 07:08 PM   #22
Oscar
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMTIIC
Nick,

A good review of the GMT IIC. I'll have mine very soon after the home renos are completed. Nice Holden too.

Cheers
Michael
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 05:03 AM   #23
newrolexman
"TRF" Member

I really love my GMT ll C

I wear it most of the time too and its very accurate.

When I put on my YG DD it feels like a kids watch, small stem and smaller bezel and dial and i love the lume at night.

Great review.

D

newrolexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2008, 09:21 PM   #24
Mr Methanol
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II (116710LN)
That was a great review Nick.

I'm from Sydney too and this is my first post on this forum.

After months of research I purchased the SS GMT-Master II (116710LN) in late April. A friend of mine picked it up for me from an AD in Saudi Arabia, I found it was cheaper overseas than from here due to the strong Australian dollar.
I regret that I didn't buy it earlier in January before the Rolex price increase. The price jumped from 23200SAR ($6700AUD) in January to 27000SAR ($7900AUD) in April. This was still better than the inflexible $8790AUD Sydney price from the Hour Glass store on king street. I noted too that the Rolex price increase has not been imposed on Australian ADs.

Other than the occasional squeeking noise from the bracelet I have no complaints. My appreciation for GMT IIc grows each day that I wear it.

Regards
Alan
Mr Methanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2008, 09:27 PM   #25
gmt master x

Watch: 70 s gmt master.
Thanks great post, Love the watch and the car is rather nice.
gmt master x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2008, 08:24 PM   #26
Porsche
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: and learn
Hi Nick
Another Sydeny boy here. Thanks to your review, I have also decided to wait and get the GMTIIc. I went into an AD several months ago, with the intention of buying a Sub, and the young guy made me try on the GMTIIc. I was immediately smitten! Much more $ than I was planning on spending, but all the benefits convinced me... so I didn't buy the Sub and hgave decidsed to wait until I have the $ 9and can also convince my wife that nearly $9K for a watch is god value!!!)

In my hurry to own a Rolex, I nearly bought a Green Sub LV at a auction in Melbourne (near new, box, papers etc) for $6600, with the intention of selling it later and buying the GMT. Not sure if missing out was a good or bad thing (is that a good price?), but after reading this thread, I am convinced that I should just be patient and wait until I have the $ for the GMT.

Slightly annoying that the list price in Australia is so out of kilter withe the rest of the world. STreet price in USA is nearly $2,000 cheaper!!! and that is after allowing for the currency conversion! I am very tempted to get one of my mates who travel frequently to buy one for me next time they're travelling. Only downside is that I would miss the purchasing pleasure, the paperwork would not have my name, and I was hoping to build a relationship with an AD here so I could put my name down for the Daytona I have always lusted after!!!

Anyway, thanks again to all who have postewd their opinions on the SS GMTIIc.

Cheers
John
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2008, 09:18 PM   #27
gmt master x

Watch: 70 s gmt master.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Hi Nick
Another Sydeny boy here. Thanks to your review, I have also decided to wait and get the GMTIIc. I went into an AD several months ago, with the intention of buying a Sub, and the young guy made me try on the GMTIIc. I was immediately smitten! Much more $ than I was planning on spending, but all the benefits convinced me... so I didn't buy the Sub and hgave decidsed to wait until I have the $ 9and can also convince my wife that nearly $9K for a watch is god value!!!)

In my hurry to own a Rolex, I nearly bought a Green Sub LV at a auction in Melbourne (near new, box, papers etc) for $6600, with the intention of selling it later and buying the GMT. Not sure if missing out was a good or bad thing (is that a good price?), but after reading this thread, I am convinced that I should just be patient and wait until I have the $ for the GMT.

Slightly annoying that the list price in Australia is so out of kilter withe the rest of the world. STreet price in USA is nearly $2,000 cheaper!!! and that is after allowing for the currency conversion! I am very tempted to get one of my mates who travel frequently to buy one for me next time they're travelling. Only downside is that I would miss the purchasing pleasure, the paperwork would not have my name, and I was hoping to build a relationship with an AD here so I could put my name down for the Daytona I have always lusted after!!!

Anyway, thanks again to all who have postewd their opinions on the SS GMTIIc.

Cheers
John
John.
i bought my gmt II c for 5800, i think the price has jumped since then .
its a really nice watch and well worth the wait. It is much heavier than my sub,
F
gmt master x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2008, 11:26 PM   #28
Lol-x
Facilitator

Bit of an influx from you guys in Sydney
Nice car John, looks similar to my 964 Tip (1993).
I think buying OS is going to be much cheaper than in Oz, but I guess it depends on what you are after.
Thanks for the review Nick, and enjoy your GMTIIC

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2008, 11:53 PM   #29
Klink

Michael, Alan, Franklin, John and Steve,

Thanks for your kind words. I believe the GMT IIc is the first of the next generation of Rolexes. As I say in my review, I've owned four different Rolexes, all with different cases. The GMT IIc is easily the most comfortable. It just sits there. I don't have to wear it loose - so that it's not too tight on hot days - and have it flop around and try and escape off the back of my wrist.

I met another Rolexista last week with a Sea Dweller. He couldn't believe my watch. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up buying one.

The HSV is terrific. I reckon it costs me $2 to overtake someone, but I love the irresistable surge from all that torque. The magnetic suspension is well worth the money too.
Old 9 June 2008, 07:45 AM   #30
Viracocha
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Great Review..thanks for the insight

J.
Viracocha is offline   Reply With Quote