The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 October 2015, 10:55 AM   #1
John68
"TRF" Member

Logistics of purchasing from an AD

I feel like this is kind of an odd question so forgive me if I'm out of my depth.

Very fortunately I'm in a position where I'm able to reward myself for crossing the 10 year mark with my firm with what I hope to be a Rolex. I have decided 100% to buy from an AD, and I'm hoping to find a BLNR because that's really what I have my heart set on.

My question lies with the logistics of making such a (relatively) large purchase. I was hoping to use my debit card but I've come to realize that most debit cards have a daily dollar transaction limit regardless of the balance of the account. I guess I could always put it on a credit card and pay it off immediately but I wonder if the transaction would be embarrassingly denied despite ample credit availability simply because of the high dollar amount.

I realize these questions could be answered simply by calling my respective banking institutions but I can't tell if these are stupid questions or not and I wonder if there's something I'm missing here. Surely people walk into ADs across the world on an impulse and walk out with shiny new Rolexes every day? Would anyone mind sharing their experience purchasing from an AD? Pitfalls or pro-tips?

Thanks everyone. Please forgive my naivete.
John68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 10:58 AM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
If you have that much credit allowance on the card, probably the worst that will happen is the bank or card issuer will call the dealer at time of purchase and you'll have to answer a couple of questions about your identity. Probably happens all the time, so not "embarrasing" at all.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 10:58 AM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by John68 View Post
Surely people walk into ADs across the world on an impulse and walk out with shiny new Rolexes every day? Would anyone mind sharing their experience purchasing from an AD? Pitfalls or pro-tips?

Thanks everyone. Please forgive my naivete.
Exactly.

Only you know your credit limit.

I have walked into an AD three times, paid with a credit card and left with my Rolex.

Not really sure what your question is.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 10:58 AM   #4
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
I use cash but I would just call either your bank if using your debit card or your CC company if using that. I wouldn't think that either would be a problem but it could save an embarrassing moment if either is denied. Good luck and a warm TRF welcome to you.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:00 AM   #5
ncstate1201
"TRF" Member

Always go with the card take the points!
ncstate1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:02 AM   #6
Sjmoore11
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp II - old & new
Personally I use credit card so I get the points (and pay it off of course). I wouldn't think getting denied is likely if you have available credit but if you really want to make sure I'm sure you could call your card issuer in advance. Some people will likely suggest cash as the best way to negotiate a discount but I'm not sure if cash vs credit makes a difference these days.
Sjmoore11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:03 AM   #7
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

I use the visa to get the miles
kirksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:04 AM   #8
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
I went with my card for the points and paid it off before the 30 days to avoid interest. if you don't have a card with a high limit just call your bank and tell them of your big upcoming purchase, and if it exceeds your daily limit, they should increase it for you the one time.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:05 AM   #9
mitchellb2005
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622
You can also call the card company ahead of time and pre-approve the purchase.
mitchellb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:07 AM   #10
Ezkill
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My question lies with the logistics of making such a (relatively) large purchase. I was hoping to use my debit card but I've come to realize that most debit cards have a daily dollar transaction limit regardless of the balance of the account. I guess I could always put it on a credit card and pay it off immediately but I wonder if the transaction would be embarrassingly denied despite ample credit availability simply because of the high dollar amount.
If you're dead set on paying with a debit card(I have in the past) a simple phone call to your bank and you can get it raised temporarily or permanently to just about any amount. They may give you a bit of grief over the phone but remember it is your money and don't let them make you feel like they are doing you a favor. Banks like to restrict daily limits due to liability but that's their problem, not yours.
Ezkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:09 AM   #11
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
My debit card has a $1,000 limit, not sure if yours does...you may want to check that before you go to the AD.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:12 AM   #12
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
I went with my card for the points and paid it off before the 30 days to avoid interest. if you don't have a card with a high limit just call your bank and tell them of your big upcoming purchase, and if it exceeds your daily limit, they should increase it for you the one time.
Agree
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:13 AM   #13
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Credit card work it out ahead of time with bank they will put a note on your card, once deal is done go on line and move cash back from your savings account, then you get points on credit card and no punitive credit card fees
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:16 AM   #14
John68
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone, very helpful. Hadn't even thought about the benefit of using my credit card simply to take advantage of the points. I think I may just do that and then pay it off immediately. I have enough credit available but I think I'll call the CC company ahead of time to make sure everything is in order.

Thanks all, appreciate it!
John68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:19 AM   #15
martinr
"TRF" Member

I've always called the number on the back of the card while at the AD and told them I'm making the purchase and the amount and then they note it on the account. The AD runs the card and you take your watch home. Or just bring a sack full of cash.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:20 AM   #16
WatchinMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Saxonia Moonphase
Quote:
Thanks everyone, very helpful. Hadn't even thought about the benefit of using my credit card simply to take advantage of the points. I think I may just do that and then pay it off immediately. I have enough credit available but I think I'll call the CC company ahead of time to make sure everything is in order.

That's the way to do it
WatchinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:20 AM   #17
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:

Congrats in advance!

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:32 AM   #18
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairdude1 View Post
Congrats in advance!
Ditto. Post some pics once you get it!!
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:37 AM   #19
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Congrats!

I always call my card before making a large purchase, typically, no issue.
Old 6 October 2015, 11:41 AM   #20
Copasetic
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Patek & Rolex
If it's a small AD rather than a big chain, you may ask for a discount for cash or a certified check. Sometimes it's works. Credit card fees can be 2% or more and Am Ex is even higher.
Copasetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:43 AM   #21
gummy

Watch: AP PP Rolex
Option 1. Negotiate price = Pay with Credit Card = Enjoy your Rolex BLNR = take points = Pay credit card bill.

Credit card companies are always leery of larger transactions...In that case, a call to the card company might help - just let them know you are planning a larger purchase within your limit - amount of charge, where the charge might come from, etc.

Option 2. Negotiate price = Pay by bank wire (ask for additional 3% off - by saving AD credit card fees) = Enjoy your Rolex BLNR

Either way congrats on the milestone and your soon to be new Rolex BLNR
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 11:44 AM   #22
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copasetic View Post
If it's a small AD rather than a big chain, you may ask for a discount for cash or a certified check. Sometimes it's works. Credit card fees can be 2% or more and Am Ex is even higher.
I can usually save about 3% paying cash over card. It beats the 1% I get in Disneyland dollars.
Old 6 October 2015, 11:46 AM   #23
Jhquek
"TRF" Member

Call the card company and ensure that your remaining limit covers 110% of the watch MSRP.
Then run off to the AD and make the purchase.
Jhquek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 12:07 PM   #24
johneh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Whenever I buy something large on my Amex I always call them ahead of time and let them know where and approximately how much I will be spending. That way they don't have to bother contacting the AD.
Old 6 October 2015, 01:31 PM   #25
SpaceWanderer
Banned

Just write a check. It's what I always do. Works every time.
SpaceWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 01:47 PM   #26
Porsche

Watch: and learn
Whenever my bank or credit card provider calls to verify a large transaction, rather than be embarrassed or awkward, I am grateful! I usually THANK the operator for being cautious with my money and credit!!!

ROLEX --- SEIKO --- HEUER

TRF REHAUT
T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 01:48 PM   #27
Syed117
"TRF" Member

When my father got his sub a few months ago, he used a gold Amex at an AD.

No call or anything needed. I want to say his limit is 20-25k maybe. Can't remember the exact amount, but he didn't need to do anything special before the purchase.

He doesn't make many large purchases and Amex didn't call the AD during the transaction.
Old 6 October 2015, 01:49 PM   #28
versatile1
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ2 Blue Romans
When I have bought at an AD I have used cash

Life is a cruel teacher
It will give you the test first and the lesson later
versatile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 02:06 PM   #29
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:

I'd just like to add that there is little chance that the value of the points earned will justify using a credit card. An AD would give you up to 3% off by paying in cash or bank wire. If the credit card company gave you points with a higher cash value than the merchant fee earned on the transaction, then it wouldn't make sense for them to be in business. I still use an Amex when I buy jewelry - my reasons are convenience and the ease of filing a dispute if anything goes wrong.

Enjoy the BLNR
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 02:11 PM   #30
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
I agree with contacting your credit card first and setting up as much detail of the transaction they need. Understand they may still call the AD.
I wonder... Does Visa extend the warranty on a Rolex? That would be cool, but unlikely given Rolex now carries a 5-yr. warranty.
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote