The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 May 2009, 01:59 AM   #1
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never kiss & tell!
Icon20 Literary James Bond Rolex (via Ian Fleming): 2nd article to be published

Recognizing that the watch or watches worn by a decades-old fictional spy is not everyone's cup of tea, I'll ask the deference of some here as I share the following update (and enthusiasm).

Right around the publication of February 2009 WatchTime article titled, "Discovered: James Bond's Rolex," I shared with you all that a commitment had already been made for a follow-up, "part 2," if you will.

Snip from proof copy of article now at the printer

As before, I can't discuss details. But I did want to give you all the alert that it's on the press and will hit the street next month. I'll also add that this is neither a repetition nor a picking up of scraps left on the cutting room floor from the February article. In fact, two of the "new" pieces I've shared from my documentation this time, I expect, will be more controversial than anything I was able to include in my piece of just three months ago.

That said, I am really looking forward to discussing the content here on TRF after it comes out.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and the friendship that are hallmarks of this place.

Old 9 May 2009, 02:03 AM   #2
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
You're my hero.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 02:09 AM   #3
Flaxmoore

Watch: Alpha Milsub
I guess I'll have to reread the series. I don't remember a specific model ever being mentioned, only two clues. It's definitely a Rolex, as per On her Majesty's Secret Service, and the mention of "phosphorus numerals" in Thunderball narrow it down some, but nothing definite.

I'd always figured either the early 3-6-9 Submariner or the Explorer, based off those criteria.
Flaxmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 04:32 AM   #4
KKB
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIC
The first thing that got me interested in and wanting to own a Rolex was in "Thunderball" where, explaining that the pilot who stole the plane loved to own "flashy, exciting, expensive things", Fleming wrote that one of those things was his "solid gold Rolex Oyster Perpetual Chronometer." After reading that when I was in high school the Rolex Oyster Perpetual became for me the epitome of a fine watch!

Great books, those 007's. I still re-read them from time to time.
Old 9 May 2009, 04:44 AM   #5
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Well done Dell
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 05:25 AM   #6
Teninx

When I finish secret agent training, 'Q' will issue me a gold Day-Date retrofitted with a satellite communicator and a laser weapon. I'd like to post pictures but it's classified, you know.
Teninx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 06:39 AM   #7
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
will be an interesting read I'm sure, looking forward to it
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 07:58 AM   #8
Balboa

Dell-
I really appreciate your research and commitment, but what exactly did you mean when you used the term fictional spy? Bond not real? Sheesh!

Next you'll probably try to tell us Sherlock Holmes is fictional.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Mark
Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 08:25 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Always a good read Dell........
Old 9 May 2009, 09:20 AM   #10
hooliganhooker

Watch: Rolex MilGauss
Ahhh, yes! The whole reason I bought my Explorer. Someday I'll have a 1016 and then Ill get all the girls and put an end to SMERSH once and for all!!!

Look forward to the read
hooliganhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 09:35 AM   #11
mike
"TRF" Member

Can't wait to read it Dell.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 11:18 AM   #12
1904 Submariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: MF 5513
That is awesome!

But to be fair, I think everyone cares what watch James Bond wore.

...and now I think I'll have that cup of tea. Thank you.
1904 Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 12:50 PM   #13
RoatanMan

Cool...

http://www.qualitytyme.net/pages/rol...ubmariner.html
RoatanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 01:41 PM   #14
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganhooker View Post
Ahhh, yes! The whole reason I bought my Explorer. Someday I'll have a 1016 and then Ill get all the girls and put an end to SMERSH once and for all!!!

Look forward to the read
That bodes the question, is the early Sub more desired, and more expensive as a vintage solely because of the fact that Sean Connery wore it in Dr No and whatever followed (don't hate on me for forgetting) or is it because of its superior design

Opinions please
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2009, 10:01 PM   #15
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Icon6 Impact on investment--?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
That bodes the question, is the early Sub more desired, and more expensive as a vintage solely because of the fact that Sean Connery wore it in Dr No and whatever followed (don't hate on me for forgetting) or is it because of its superior design

Opinions please
Very good question; and one I cannot answer.

What I have heard (but for which I can't confirm a basis) is that Rolex 1016 prices seem to have been positively impacted by the whole "Ian Fleming's literary James Bond wore an early Explorer" discussion. I recall this being argued maybe two months ago on one of the Forums (not this one).

In my opinion, that would have to include not just any potential impact of my February WatchTime article, which had a worldwide circulation of 60,000 - but also the 128,000+ folks who visited the Imperial War Museum display of that watch over the past year. LINK

Omega called this "the James Bond effect" in a WatchTime article last year. LINK

Does anyone have any thoughts related to "James Bond" association and watch values?
Old 9 May 2009, 10:25 PM   #16
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
I have always felt James Bond has reflected current/ popular fashion and technology. And I have likewise felt this has has some effect upon how people perceive these things. So I suppose it could follow 007' equipment might very well have an effect on some folks' purchasing decisions, or perhaps habits.

I have also heard the Walther PPK referred to as "James Bond's gun" repeatedly, for example. Many people cannot discuss the Aston Martin of olde, or the Lotus Esprit, without at least a passing reference to 007 and Q's cool automotive options & gadgets as well.

These wonderful, well-imagined things are popular for a wide variety of moviegoers and readers. However, misslie-armed submarine cars with oil slicks, wrist darts and silenced pistols aren't commonly available. Those cars make an easily obtainable Rolex look cheap by comparison, 40 years after the movies. So who knows, James Bond may very well have sold plenty of Subs!

It would be cool to think so on that one, too, don't ya think? Maybe they'll switch back again one day.

Can't wait for the second article! The first was fascinating, I ended up reading it twice. I gotta go find a Bond flick to watch now!

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2009, 12:05 PM   #17
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Icon14 NAWCC convention - coming up next month !!

On a related matter, also wanted to ask if anyone here is planning to attend the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors national convention next month in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I think it opens on Thursday, June 11, and runs through Saturday, June 13. Details on their website: http://www.nawcc.org/

Further to my reason for this Post--

"Where would James Bond be without his wristwatch?" will be the topic of a presentation I am giving on one of their limited "public day" program slots on Saturday. They've also asked me to show a number of the models from my own collections, which I have agreed to do. (One will include a Rolex 1016 Explorer with a serial number close to the Ian Fleming / original literary James Bond watch.)

Anyone from here planning to attend? I'm booked for some meeting and interviews related to the show, but think it would be great to hook up with folks in person from this and the few other Forums I frequent.

Let me know.

Tags
1016 , explorer , ian fleming , james bond