The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11 October 2009, 08:23 AM   #1
entropydave
"TRF" Member

What is Rolesor exactly?

Just been looking at my Rolex catalog and spcifically at the TT models - they descrive the gold as "Rolesor" not 18k glod...
So what is it?!!

thanks!
dave
Old 11 October 2009, 08:31 AM   #2
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

I'm not 100% sure but I believe its a metal combination that Rolex has patented....A mixture of gold and stainless I think.....Others will correct me if I'm wrong!!!
Rob.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
Old 11 October 2009, 08:56 AM   #3
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

The name Rolesor is given purely due to assay office rules when it comes to hallmarking. As it's not just one metal within the bracelet, legally they're not allowed to describe it as 18Ct gold - if you look closely, they'll refer to the gold as yellow metal. So, when you see the term Rolesor, all it means is that it's steel and 18ct
Old 11 October 2009, 09:04 AM   #4
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

I went to the Rolex website to see if I could find the exact answer for you but the site froze and crashed my internet explorer on my windows 64 bit vista system with 8 GB of RAM. Go Figure! The Rolex site is not the best. So I went back to the site and they call their TT watches Steel and Yellow Gold. If you browse a particular TT watch and then go to materials, you will see that the SS portion is the 904L blend usually reserved for use in the chemical industry where maimum resistance to corrosion is essential. They have a video you can watch. They have a link for the gold portion of the watch but no video there. It just says they operate their own exclusive foundry and that they can create their own unique alloys/colors and are conscious of purity. To me, Rolesor just means SS and Gold.
Old 11 October 2009, 10:05 AM   #5
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingoodtime View Post
I went to the Rolex website to see if I could find the exact answer for you but the site froze and crashed my internet explorer on my windows 64 bit vista system with 8 GB of RAM. Go Figure! The Rolex site is not the best. So I went back to the site and they call their TT watches Steel and Yellow Gold. If you browse a particular TT watch and then go to materials, you will see that the SS portion is the 904L blend usually reserved for use in the chemical industry where maimum resistance to corrosion is essential. They have a video you can watch. They have a link for the gold portion of the watch but no video there. It just says they operate their own exclusive foundry and that they can create their own unique alloys/colors and are conscious of purity. To me, Rolesor just means SS and Gold.
Rolex should invest in a more user friendly website... ahh. Rolesor = TT
Old 11 October 2009, 10:06 AM   #6
watchfreak2003
"TRF" Member

Just like Superlative Chronometer, Oyster, Jubilee, trip lock etc. Rolex terms/hallmarks.
Rolesor = Two tone, gold/steel.
Old 11 October 2009, 10:07 AM   #7
RolexPete32
"TRF" Member

Watch: You know... Rolex
My understanding is it simply is the Rolex term for a combo of steel and gold.
Old 11 October 2009, 10:07 AM   #8
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingoodtime View Post
X2
Old 11 October 2009, 10:34 AM   #9
Speed
"TRF" Member

Rolesor...

Is that akin to "Pleather" or Corian?
Old 11 October 2009, 05:20 PM   #10
entropydave
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blendhpi View Post
My understanding is it simply is the Rolex term for a combo of steel and gold.
hmmm. I dunno. Why does their catalog describe it as "yellow metal"? I also don't really see why there is an assay prob just because they use it with steel?
"!8k gold and steel" sounds fine to me and I am sure it can be hallmarked easily as per the law.
Anyone got a spare one they want to hacksaw in half?!!
I suspect it may be a thick plating or a coating on a form.
I do not think Rolex would miss an opportunity to brag about it and call it 18k gold and not yellow metal - which sounds far less attractive IMO.
Old 11 October 2009, 06:58 PM   #11
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
I always thought it is the combination of (precious) metals.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Old 11 October 2009, 07:04 PM   #12
dannyp
Banned

Didn't they also refer to the SS/Plat Yachtmaster as "Rolseum"? As in stainless and platinum. I agree that it's all about marketing rather than a revolutionary material. The same way other words in the Rolex vocabulary (including the word "Rolex" itself) were invented to establish a superior brand identity.
Old 11 October 2009, 07:53 PM   #13
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Did you google it Danny?

Old 11 October 2009, 09:42 PM   #14
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Didn't they also refer to the SS/Plat Yachtmaster as "Rolseum"? As in stainless and platinum. I agree that it's all about marketing rather than a revolutionary material. The same way other words in the Rolex vocabulary (including the word "Rolex" itself) were invented to establish a superior brand identity.
Yep, Rolesium refers to steel and platinum, and Tridor refers to a combination of yellow, white and rose gold - can't think of any other terms regarding metals that Rolex uses.
Old 11 October 2009, 10:29 PM   #15
Rolesor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
It's me of course!!...lol ok that was lame but everyone already hit the nail on the head.

I originally thought it only referred to the Rose gold TT Models but found out soon after it was anything with SS and a precious metal in the band.
Old 11 October 2009, 11:17 PM   #16
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
From Hubpages;

"For those who don't know, Rolesor is Rolex's term for the combination of stainless steel with the yellow, white or pink 18-carat gold, a look that jazzes up either all-steel or all-gold models. It derives from the terms Rolex (naturally), and Or, the French word for gold."
Old 12 October 2009, 12:24 AM   #17
jameshe
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, SkyDweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchfreak2003 View Post
Just like Superlative Chronometer, Oyster, Jubilee, trip lock etc. Rolex terms/hallmarks.
Correct, this is my understanding
Old 12 October 2009, 02:50 AM   #18
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchfreak2003 View Post
Correct.....and "Rolesium" is also a Rolex trademark for Steel and Platinum.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 17 October 2009, 02:43 AM   #19
entropydave
"TRF" Member

I had a further think about "Rolesor" and I suspect that it is not solid gold but a thick (more than 0.5mm?) layer of gold (or Pt in the case of "rolesium") fused onto a 904L base. This would explain their reticence to call it 18k gold and to call it "yellow metal" instead. I guess they thought that Rolesor sounded better than "very thick gold plating".
Also, the gold may not have been electrodeposited either but welded on. I am not sure if one can even plate in anything other than 24k gold due to the different electrodepositional properties of the metals required to plate at 18k.

Just thought about this again as I was looking at a TT specimen today...

thanks!
Old 17 October 2009, 03:04 AM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropydave View Post
hmmm. I dunno. Why does their catalog describe it as "yellow metal"? I also don't really see why there is an assay prob just because they use it with steel?
"!8k gold and steel" sounds fine to me and I am sure it can be hallmarked easily as per the law.
Anyone got a spare one they want to hacksaw in half?!!
I suspect it may be a thick plating or a coating on a form.
I do not think Rolex would miss an opportunity to brag about it and call it 18k gold and not yellow metal - which sounds far less attractive IMO.
Its quite simple in many countries UK for one to call anything gold or platinum it must be all gold or all platinum etc 9ct 18ct gold 900 or 950 for platinum.And it must have a assay stamp to state gold content etc 375, 515, 750,or 950.So Rolex uses the made up word Rolesor for watches of mixed metals gold S.Steel,and Rolesium for mixed metals S.steel and platinum another made up word.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 17 October 2009, 03:49 AM   #21
Thrasher

Watch: 16710 Coke
Sounds like Corinthian Leather- the ultra chic material found on the seats of Dodge Cordobas. My car, back in the day, had real Corinthian Velor.
Old 22 October 2013, 03:16 AM   #22
RBR76
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
Might consider getting a pre-own 2 tone Sub.

When did the 2 tone clasp started for the Submariner?

I saw an "E" and "L" series 2 tone Sub with full stainless steel clasp, no gold at all. This seem to have affected the value quite a lot. The prices for this two pieces are almost on par with a "V" series 16610.
Closed Thread