The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 8 November 2006, 01:47 PM   #1
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Grand Seiko, worth buying?

http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/gs/

Looking for a new christmas gift for myself, might take a trip to Japan after thanksgiving and pick up a GS.

What do you guys think about their spring drive? Are they worth buying?
Old 8 November 2006, 04:28 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
The Grand Seiko is a superbly exquisite and very distinguished watch. Padi should be along shortly to tell you all about it.

That would be a terrific buy for Christmas.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 8 November 2006, 05:05 PM   #3
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
No picture there....
Old 8 November 2006, 05:18 PM   #4
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

My friend Sam just picked up a Spring Drive and he is very very pleased.
I plan on seeing it as soon as I return to Dallas this weekend from my business trip.
Personally, I'd go for a Spring Drive and not a Grand Seiko.
While there is no doubt that the GS is a very high quality watch, there is something about owning a watch with a movement that nobody else in the world has.

Here is a pic of Sam's watch. He just got it today.

Member # 87
Old 8 November 2006, 08:07 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Always been a fan of Seiko watches there low end market produce some of the best value all in-house watches on this planet today.Now the Seiko high end like the Credo and Grand are IMO as good if not better than most of the Swiss high end brands.Perhaps a little bit reserve in design myself been looking for a early model for quite some time.There movements are as good as they get,and tested to a far higher standard than the Swiss COSC. And build quality is up there with any of the best of the Swiss.Sure they can be expensive but no more expensive than a similar high end Swiss check out a these couple of links.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...eiko#post62466

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=646
Seiko spring drive explained a hybrid quartz mechanical.
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...o+spring+drive

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 8 November 2006, 10:07 PM   #6
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Agree about the Seikos. Too bad most Americans, and probably most Europeans as well, have such a negative view of Seiko (as cheap watches). There aren't that many true manufactures out there anymore, but Seiko and Citizen are among the small number remaining. And btw, I've yet to read of a dissatisfied Grand Seiko customer!
Old 8 November 2006, 11:40 PM   #7
Atomic

If you find one that smiles at you and the price isn't an issue, go for it.

As others have said, GS are among the best in the world, and it would be cool to have such a high calibre watch that is probably the ultimate stealth in haut horologie.

Old 8 November 2006, 11:51 PM   #8
montecristo
"TRF" Member

I have my eyes on this one. With kanji date-day display.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT1270.jpg (42.5 KB, 1467 views)
Old 9 November 2006, 12:00 AM   #9
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by comatox View Post
My friend Sam just picked up a Spring Drive and he is very very pleased.
I plan on seeing it as soon as I return to Dallas this weekend from my business trip.
Personally, I'd go for a Spring Drive and not a Grand Seiko.
While there is no doubt that the GS is a very high quality watch, there is something about owning a watch with a movement that nobody else in the world has.

Here is a pic of Sam's watch. He just got it today.

That's nice, but I think I like the GS automatic better. I like the smaller, more discrete PR indicator on the GS better than the massive slash on the Spring Drive.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Old 9 November 2006, 12:06 AM   #10
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
That's nice, but I think I like the GS automatic better. I like the smaller, more discrete PR indicator on the GS better than the massive slash on the Spring Drive.
Eventhought I wasn't exactly sure why I didn't like their SD line up, I suppose it was that first "is that another kinetic?" feeling that I didn't like after reading your comment.

I prefer the regular dial yet I am intrigued by their 72 hour power reserve claim. My rollie last 2 days if left on its own.
Old 9 November 2006, 12:19 AM   #11
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo View Post
Eventhought I wasn't exactly sure why I didn't like their SD line up, I suppose it was that first "is that another kinetic?" feeling that I didn't like after reading your comment.

I prefer the regular dial yet I am intrigued by their 72 hour power reserve claim. My rollie last 2 days if left on its own.
If you want better reserve, go for an 8-day JLC.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 9 November 2006, 12:30 AM   #12
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
If you want better reserve, go for an 8-day JLC.

Never a big fan, prefer the clean seiko look that and the more subtle brand name. *(at least in the states, people who doesn't know would think that paid 100 bucks for it)

I am looking at their 2006 catalog now and saw a 600M spring drive diver watch, that and a 1000M quartz movement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT1272.jpg (74.7 KB, 1411 views)
Old 9 November 2006, 12:35 AM   #13
Rockrolex

hey, whatever floats your boat and sings most sweetly to you, MC.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 9 November 2006, 02:40 AM   #14
----

I would buy a GS at the right price. I haven't seen one in person yet but they certainly look quite good. The Spring Drive is another matter entirely and I am not yet jumping on that bandwagon. Just something about it that doesn't sit well with me.......

Old 10 November 2006, 03:21 PM   #15
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
I would buy a GS at the right price. I haven't seen one in person yet but they certainly look quite good. The Spring Drive is another matter entirely and I am not yet jumping on that bandwagon. Just something about it that doesn't sit well with me.......
I just got a quote for the marine master 1000m quartz, they want 1K us for one shipped to new york.

That and 5k for this spring drive GS.

http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/p_search/SBGE001.html
Old 11 November 2006, 04:28 AM   #16
Sam

Watch: Yes...too many!!!
I just picked up a Spring Drive earlier this week. It was a great price and I love the watch. It's the one Chip posted about earlier in this thread. It's every bit as well made as any Rolex or Omega. I'm impressed!

It's not just another kinetic. The kinetics were basically quartz watches that charged a capacitor by a spinning rotor....nothing special. The Spring Drive is basically a mechanical watch with a quartz crystal that regulates the speed of the glide wheel with an electromagnetic brake for quartz-like accuracy. It's still powered by a mainspring just like a mechanical. It's also the only watch with a constant sweep second hand...not "ticks"....one fluid motion. You really need to see it to believe it. In 3 days, my Spring Drive is +/- 0 seconds.

I used to be in the "uuughhh it's a Seiko...no way would I spend that much" camp. Not any more.
Old 11 November 2006, 04:30 AM   #17
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I just picked up a Spring Drive earlier this week. It was a great price and I love the watch. It's the one Chip posted about earlier in this thread. It's every bit as well made as any Rolex or Omega. I'm impressed!

It's not just another kinetic. The kinetics were basically quartz watches that charged a capacitor by a spinning rotor....nothing special. The Spring Drive is basically a mechanical watch with a quartz crystal that regulates the speed of the glide wheel with an electromagnetic brake for quartz-like accuracy. It's still powered by a mainspring just like a mechanical. It's also the only watch with a constant sweep second hand...not "ticks"....one fluid motion. You really need to see it to believe it. In 3 days, my Spring Drive is +/- 0 seconds.

I used to be in the "uuughhh it's a Seiko...no way would I spend that much" camp. Not any more.

Hey Sam, long time no see, over here. Congrats on the SD. How bout posting a video clip so we can see how smooth it is.

Old 11 November 2006, 04:31 AM   #18
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Excellent info, Sam. Thanks and congrats on that beauty, pal. Wear it in good health!!!

Post some pics when you can.

Thanks - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 11 November 2006, 04:40 AM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Now that I agree with you 100% Sam Seiko remarkable quality and build at both end of there market high or low.Myself been looking for a long time for a late 60s 70s Seiko Grand,a superb watch that will equal the best the Swiss or Europeans can offer.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 11 November 2006, 04:40 AM   #20
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
Hey Sam, long time no see, over here. Congrats on the SD. How bout posting a video clip so we can see how smooth it is.
Good to see you Johnny.

Will try to do that.
Old 11 November 2006, 05:10 AM   #21
Sam

Here's a short video clip of the second hand in motion. About 4MB download. Photobucket made it kinda grainy but I think you can see how smooth the second hand is. Enjoy!

Old 11 November 2006, 05:12 AM   #22
Atomic

Wow, that is smooth. It reminds me of the electric clocks my high school had that swept around, without ticking (Man, did I used to stare at those clocks, lol).

Thanks Sam!

Old 11 November 2006, 05:13 AM   #23
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
Wow, that is smooth. It reminds me of the electric clocks my high school had that swept around, without ticking (Man, did I used to stare at those clocks, lol).

Thanks Sam!
That's exactly what I thought....those old electric clocks in school.
Old 11 November 2006, 05:22 AM   #24
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
That's exactly what I thought....those old electric clocks in school.
WOW! That centre sweep is even smoother than a regular watch that beats at 28,800 A/hr.!!

Old 11 November 2006, 05:23 AM   #25
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
WOW! That centre sweep is even smoother than a regular watch that beats at 28,800 A/hr.!!
That's because there is no "beat".....it's in constant motion.
Old 11 November 2006, 05:37 AM   #26
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
That's because there is no "beat".....it's in constant motion.
Very emotional, I agree!!

Old 11 November 2006, 08:17 AM   #27
----

Quote:
Here's a short video clip of the second hand in motion. About 4MB download. Photobucket made it kinda grainy but I think you can see how smooth the second hand is. Enjoy!

It reminds me of my old Accutron. Was the same smooth sweeping motion, with the humming of the tuning fork as an added bonus!

I need to get one of those sometime just for kicks.

Old 11 November 2006, 09:09 AM   #28
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
with the humming of the tuning fork as an added bonus!
What's weird about the Spring Drive is that it's completely quiet...not a tick, not a hum, nothing.
Old 11 November 2006, 02:49 PM   #29
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You just sold me a new watch. Matter of fact, I am not even going to pick one up in person, just gonna order one from the catalog.

Problem is, what about the one that non-spring drive grand seiko? How about those? I asked a Tokyo watch store for seiko catalogs and they overnighted the 2006 seiko + GS catalog to me.

I am currently looking at a 18k wg GS that uses 9F62 movement for $18,000 (only day display)

A SS GS with day date display (kanji) that uses 9F83 movement for $2,400

Or the spring drive that I am drooling over but not too found of the style itself thats about $4,000 w/GMT and 600M WR +/- less than a sec a day.

Of the three, I really wish they can make the 2nd one all 18kt gold and 600m WR and I be gladly hand over $30k for it.

What should I do? What other models do they use spring drives on? I prefer their original japanese models, not their euro versions.

Attached are some snaps of their current catalog. Knowing myself, whichever one I get, I'll wish I have gotten the other one. I really prefer the all gold casing and bracelet on the first one yet I am so intrigued by the spring drive on the last one, but I do like the look of the 2nd one.

I need a drink now. btw, how much did that beauty cost you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT1278.jpg (35.5 KB, 1021 views)
File Type: jpg PICT1279.jpg (63.6 KB, 1021 views)
File Type: jpg PICT1280.jpg (72.7 KB, 1022 views)
Old 11 November 2006, 03:19 PM   #30
Sam

All of the spring drive models are up on www.seikospringdrive.com

The Grand Seikos are just as nice...they are just your standard mechanical movement vs spring drive. If that's the one you like, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. How much are you looking to pay? I wouldn't pay anywhere near list price. I paid less that 50% of list price for mine.
Closed Thread