PDA

View Full Version : 1675 gmt

onkyo
24 November 2009, 01:12 AM
I recently acquire this beautiful 1960 GMT 1675.

This magnificent piece sports a gilt dial, chapter ring, PCG, small 2nd hand, and expandable bracelet. Unpolished with a wonderfully faded bezel. Needless to say I am in heaven. :ppg: And this piece wears like no other Rolex I own. :dude:

Here are a few pictures. :thumbsup:

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp42/plvovsky/1675%20PCG/1675PCGChapterring2a.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp42/plvovsky/1675%20PCG/1675PCGChapterring15.jpg

I have never seen pointed crown guards in this condition.....

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp42/plvovsky/1675%20PCG/1675PCGChapterring2.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp42/plvovsky/1675%20PCG/1675PCGChapterring3.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp42/plvovsky/1675%20PCG/1675PCGChapterring4.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp42/plvovsky/1675%20PCG/1675PCGChapterring12.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp42/plvovsky/1675%20PCG/1675PCGChapterring10.jpg

pz93c
24 November 2009, 01:28 AM
Congrats. :cheers:

youngr
24 November 2009, 01:34 AM
stunning

onkyo
24 November 2009, 01:37 AM
Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Speed
24 November 2009, 02:00 AM
Pav, that is a truly great specimen.

Dumb question...are you going to leave it completely as is??? Or are you going to do any work on it?

Skullring
24 November 2009, 02:02 AM
Wow. That is a beauty.

sBmRnR
24 November 2009, 02:11 AM
WOW!!! Great watch, congrats!

onkyo
24 November 2009, 02:11 AM
Pav, that is a truly great specimen.

Dumb question...are you going to leave it completely as is??? Or are you going to do any work on it?

I am going to leave it completely as is. May need a routine service though (with no polishing). :thumbsup:

Speed
24 November 2009, 02:24 AM
I am going to leave it completely as is. May need a routine service though (with no polishing). :thumbsup:

Got it...you want the wear & tear to stay. Good for you. :cheers:

I am wrestling with this question myself as I try to decide if I have the stomach to go the Vintage route and wondering whether or not I can save the funds as well.

I would LOVE a Red Sub, but would prefer a reasonably polished watch, nice black bezel etc. etc.

My D-Series GMT Coke is near Mint as is my Y-Series Sub...so having a piece with all its lovebites would be a change.

Congrats again man. Looking forward to more Pics on the "Whatcha Wearing today" threads we love so much here...:dude:

mike
24 November 2009, 02:38 AM
Pav, you struck gold!:clap::clap: What an amazing example. My deepest congrats on such a killer example!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

onkyo
24 November 2009, 03:08 AM
Pav, you struck gold!:clap::clap: What an amazing example. My deepest congrats on such a killer example!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks again everyone..... :thumbsup:

You know Mike, I was NOT supposed to buy any more watches in 2009. :banghead: But, I COULD NOT pass this up. Vintage overpowered me. :crying: :banghead: :chuckle: :dummy:

kyle L
24 November 2009, 04:05 AM
Wow Pav!!! Another great example of vintage! Can you put together a group shot?

Rebel
24 November 2009, 05:21 AM
my birth year as well. what a find! many congrats.

onkyo
24 November 2009, 05:44 AM
Wow Pav!!! Another great example of vintage! Can you put together a group shot?

A vintage group shot would be nice ..... :thumbsup: Let me find some time to do just that. :clap:

onkyo
24 November 2009, 05:47 AM
my birth year as well. what a find! many congrats.

If I ever sell it, it's yours. :thumbsup: Thanks!

r14
24 November 2009, 06:03 AM
Onkyo
What a beautiful art piece it is!!.This kind of well aged vintage piece almost has its own life,which I dont feel from new watches. Congradts!!. Actually I am looking for one just like this.

mcjp6
24 November 2009, 06:08 AM
What a watch! Pav. You gotta be happy with that amazing case, perfect, with original bracelet (?) and I just love those dials with chapter rings.

Congratulations....:cheers:

onkyo
24 November 2009, 06:22 AM
Onkyo
What a beautiful art piece it is!!.This kind of well aged vintage piece almost has its own life,which I dont feel from new watches. Congradts!!. Actually I am looking for one just like this.

Thank you. I know what you mean by these vintage pieces having a life of their own and their own character. New piece, though beautiful pieces of art, do not have the same feel. :thumbsup:

What a watch! Pav. You gotta be happy with that amazing case, perfect, with original bracelet (?) and I just love those dials with chapter rings.

Congratulations....:cheers:

Thank you Michael. Yes, the bracelet is original and in fantastic shape. The comfort level is amazing. :bye:

RLX-lvr
24 November 2009, 08:07 AM
Wow Pav, another stunning piece to such an already wonderful collection.
Yes those pointed crown gaurds are in awesome shape.

I know it's hard, when you see a perfect piece it's hard to resist, congrats.

Please when you can, a group shot would be superb.

onkyo
24 November 2009, 08:37 AM
Wow Pav, another stunning piece to such an already wonderful collection.
Yes those pointed crown gaurds are in awesome shape.

I know it's hard, when you see a perfect piece it's hard to resist, congrats.

Please when you can, a group shot would be superb.

Thanks Jeff, a group shot is on order. :thumbsup:

mailman
24 November 2009, 09:45 AM
Gosh dang Pav, that is beautiful :thumbsup: Congratulations and enjoy it in good health :cheers:

onkyo
24 November 2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks Paulie....

Lamone
24 November 2009, 11:54 AM
:wow: That's a perfect specimen! Never seen one in such perfect condition.
Congrats Pav!

onkyo
24 November 2009, 12:09 PM
:wow: That's a perfect specimen! Never seen one in such perfect condition.
Congrats Pav!

Thanks Ben and me either ...... which is why I had no choice when offered this specimen.

Ivan
24 November 2009, 12:22 PM
Look at those beveled edges! They don't make 'em like no more. Congrats on the pick up.

onkyo
24 November 2009, 12:25 PM
Look at those beveled edges! They don't make 'em like no more. Congrats on the pick up.

Couldn't agree with you more... thanks Ivan. :thumbsup:

rpmooreii
24 November 2009, 01:10 PM
Incredible watch! Do you have any owner history such as orig buyer, etc? Does the watch have any great stories to tell?

...Roger

whiskyguy
24 November 2009, 01:14 PM
WOW!!!
Love the faded insert, Gilt dial and nice thick case

Perfect

therolexguy
24 November 2009, 01:14 PM
Love it..Awesome find. Congrats. :cheers: :clap: :dude::dude: :thumbsup:

Damage Inc.
24 November 2009, 01:26 PM
I am very envious!
Beautiful!

onkyo
24 November 2009, 01:55 PM
Incredible watch! Do you have any owner history such as orig buyer, etc? Does the watch have any great stories to tell?

...Roger

Hi Roger, I wish I had some great stories. All I know is this was a single owner watch that came to me through a middle man. The watch was obviously well cared for through its 50 year life.

onkyo
24 November 2009, 02:41 PM
I am very envious!
Beautiful!

Love it..Awesome find. Congrats. :cheers: :clap: :dude::dude: :thumbsup:

WOW!!!
Love the faded insert, Gilt dial and nice thick case

Perfect

Thanks guys.... I feel privileged to own this fine piece of Rolex history. :read:

It will be on my wrist tomorrow for sure. :thumbsup:

tudorman8276
24 November 2009, 03:20 PM
...will go well with the MANY others in your collection!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

sleddog
24 November 2009, 03:45 PM
Just simply stunning Pav.....Even the bracelet looks to be in great shape for it's age!!!
Congrats on that one my friend!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

onkyo
24 November 2009, 03:51 PM
...will go well with the MANY others in your collection!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Stan..... this is my first vintage GMT and it will certainly be at home with some of my other pieces.

Just simply stunning Pav.....Even the bracelet looks to be in great shape for it's age!!!
Congrats on that one my friend!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Rob. The bracelet is in amazing shape and it is expandable which is awesome. It is soooooo incredibly comfortable. :thumbsup:

Peter1
25 November 2009, 09:53 AM
Wow.

springer
25 November 2009, 10:33 AM
Pav, you're the man. Welcome to the world of GMT's!!! Very nice my friend.

onkyo
25 November 2009, 12:05 PM
Wow.

Thanks Peter..... :thumbsup:

Pav, you're the man. Welcome to the world of GMT's!!! Very nice my friend.

Thanks John.... I am seeing the GMT light now. :thumbsup: And already eying another vintage GMT for 2010..... I am really officially done for 2009! :smokin:

springer
25 November 2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks Peter..... :thumbsup:

Thanks John.... I am seeing the GMT light now. :thumbsup: And already eying another vintage GMT for 2010..... I am really officially done for 2009! :smokin:

Switch the funds from Rolex and find a Shelby, better MPG than the Rolex, and, much more thrilling. I'll save the Datejust for you until next year. :smokin:

R1@160@alltimes
25 November 2009, 01:55 PM
Congrats Pav :cheers:

a true vintage in every sense of the word.

onkyo
25 November 2009, 02:15 PM
Congrats Pav :cheers:

a true vintage in every sense of the word.

Thank you my friend.

Switch the funds from Rolex and find a Shelby, better MPG than the Rolex, and, much more thrilling. I'll save the Datejust for you until next year. :smokin:

I have a thrilling ride already..... and its not a Shelby, though I really do like Shelby's. :thumbsup:

eparisini
25 November 2009, 06:33 PM
Stunning

swatty
25 November 2009, 06:36 PM
Congrats Pav, that GMT is stunning :thumbsup: :cheers:

ob1
26 November 2009, 06:27 AM
Huge congratulations Pav. That is a sensational looking watch. You have amazing taste and must spend a lot of time to find absolutely pristine vintage. Could you answer a couple of questions for me though mate? What is a chapter ring and PCG?
Cheers
Mark

Welshwatchman
26 November 2009, 07:13 AM
It's a seriously outstanding example Pav.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

onkyo
26 November 2009, 07:49 AM
Huge congratulations Pav. That is a sensational looking watch. You have amazing taste and must spend a lot of time to find absolutely pristine vintage. Could you answer a couple of questions for me though mate? What is a chapter ring and PCG?
Cheers
Mark

Thanks Mark. :thumbsup: Chapter ring is (dictinary.com definition) "a ringlike band on the dial of a clock that bears the numerals or other symbols of the hours." so basically the outer ring on the dial. PCG or pointed crown guards describe the shape of the crown guards. When crown guards were first put on Rolex watches they were pointy shaped. Modern one are squared off.... I imagine they protect the winding crown better with the modern shape. :thumbsup:

It's a seriously outstanding example Pav.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thanks Paul.... I can not stop staring at it. :dude:

Lol-x
26 November 2009, 08:48 AM
Congrats on an outstanding acquisition of Rolex history :cheers:

Just one question: Which do you find the most satisfying the 1655 or the 1675? (and don't say both) :twit:

:cheers:

watchcrank
26 November 2009, 10:14 AM
That is one beautiful GMT. Wear it in good health m.

onkyo
26 November 2009, 01:25 PM
That is one beautiful GMT. Wear it in good health m.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Congrats on an outstanding acquisition of Rolex history :cheers:

Just one question: Which do you find the most satisfying the 1655 or the 1675? (and don't say both) :twit:

:cheers:

Steve,

Thank you. :thumbsup:

In general I like 1655 more than 1675.....

But this specific 1675 I like better than my 1655. I love the uncommon features including faded bezel, perfect gilt dial, PCG's are amazing, and the stretch band is super comfortable. :thumbsup:

Lol-x
26 November 2009, 01:29 PM
So the 1655 model is your preferred model to the guilt dial pointed crown guard model, but the specific 1675 that you own is what you prefer to the 1655 that you own :twit: :chuckle: :banghead:

O.K. I get it......:thinking:

onkyo
26 November 2009, 03:46 PM
So the 1655 model is your preferred model to the guilt dial pointed crown guard model, but the specific 1675 that you own is what you prefer to the 1655 that you own :twit: :chuckle: :banghead:

O.K. I get it......:thinking:

I never said I make sense..... :lol::lol::lol: :twit: :dummy:

greekbum
26 November 2009, 04:10 PM
Pav what a stunning GMT you found there :thumbsup: In that condition they rarely ever are found these days.The GMT is my favorite watch and you found a homerun watch:thumbsup:Enjoy it I bet it doesnt come off of your wrist too often in the future:cheers:

onkyo
26 November 2009, 04:28 PM
Pav what a stunning GMT you found there :thumbsup: In that condition they rarely ever are found these days.The GMT is my favorite watch and you found a homerun watch:thumbsup:Enjoy it I bet it doesnt come off of your wrist too often in the future:cheers:

Thank you my friend..... :thumbsup:

I was looking for a nice 1675 and this watch actually found me!!! Incredible how things in life come together sometimes.

Lol-x
26 November 2009, 10:15 PM
As a model in terms of pure functionality I prefer the GMT to an ExplorerII.

The pointed crown guard gilt dial, outer chapter ring 1675 GMT is without a doubt my favorite GMT ever! :cheers:

But for pure wow aesthetics the 1655 with the orange 24 hour hand and the floating minute and second hands, that cannot be surpassed as an aesthetic icon of 70's ROLexploitation.

Hey I just made a new word "Rolexploitation": the era of Rolex and the tool watch phenomenon.

Big Nutty
27 November 2009, 01:12 AM
Congrats! Great watch!

tomvox1
27 November 2009, 01:27 AM

...and good for you for keeping it as is--that's the way to go with Vintage Rolex! :thumbsup:
Enjoy & big congrats,
T.

onkyo
27 November 2009, 02:05 AM
...and good for you for keeping it as is--that's the way to go with Vintage Rolex! :thumbsup:
Enjoy & big congrats,
T.

Thank you my fellow Brooklynite..... :thumbsup:

StanGMT
27 November 2009, 06:29 AM
I recently acquire this beautiful 1960 GMT 1675.

I have never seen pointed crown guards in this condition.....

That is one truly fabulous 1675 GMT - congratulations!

I have owned my 1675 GMT since it was new in 1967 and my biggest regret is that, at a regular service about twenty years ago, Rolex fitted a new bezel (because the original was nicely faded, like yours is) and a new large-arrow 24 hour hand, all without consulting me beforehand. I was furious, but they wouldn't 'undo' what they had done, claiming that they had only 'improved' the watch! Such is life.

Regarding the condition of the crown guard - are you referring to the direction of alignment of the crown? As I understand it, it's a bit of a myth that the crown should always be upright. The threads on the crown and crown guard are machine precisely, but the final alignment of the guard when it is screwed down is determined by the thickness of the seal inside the guard, and these do vary. Also, the seal compresses microscopically over time, so I have found that between five-yearly services the crown 'migrates' slowly clockwise as the seal compresses with use.

Congratulations again on acquiring a fabulous watch - enjoy it!

Stan.

onkyo
27 November 2009, 07:42 AM
That is one truly fabulous 1675 GMT - congratulations!

I have owned my 1675 GMT since it was new in 1967 and my biggest regret is that, at a regular service about twenty years ago, Rolex fitted a new bezel (because the original was nicely faded, like yours is) and a new large-arrow 24 hour hand, all without consulting me beforehand. I was furious, but they wouldn't 'undo' what they had done, claiming that they had only 'improved' the watch! Such is life.

Regarding the condition of the crown guard - are you referring to the direction of alignment of the crown? As I understand it, it's a bit of a myth that the crown should always be upright. The threads on the crown and crown guard are machine precisely, but the final alignment of the guard when it is screwed down is determined by the thickness of the seal inside the guard, and these do vary. Also, the seal compresses microscopically over time, so I have found that between five-yearly services the crown 'migrates' slowly clockwise as the seal compresses with use.

Congratulations again on acquiring a fabulous watch - enjoy it!

Stan.

Hi Stan and thank you for the compliments. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I have heard many stories of Rolex changing out parts in older pieces. It is possible to restore it to its original look but it may be costly.

Regarding the crown guards..... I mean the 'new' shape of them with steep and abrupt angles. Often you see them smoothed out over multiple polishings. These have a new look to them. :thumbsup:

StanGMT
27 November 2009, 09:43 AM
Hi Stan and thank you for the compliments. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I have heard many stories of Rolex changing out parts in older pieces. It is possible to restore it to its original look but it may be costly.

Regarding the crown guards..... I mean the 'new' shape of them with steep and abrupt angles. Often you see them smoothed out over multiple polishings. These have a new look to them. :thumbsup:

Hi Pav,

Right - I understand what you mean. The crown does look like it might be a more recent version than 1960. I wonder, is it possible that your 1675 has been fitted with a new crownguard at some point in the past? The important thing is that IMO it certainly doesn't detract from the appearance of the watch, which looks very original - beautifully so!

I'm slowly turning green . . . . . . . !

Stan.

maverick
27 November 2009, 10:53 AM
Great 1675!!! Congratulations and wear it in good health. =) maverick

onkyo
27 November 2009, 12:38 PM
Hi Pav,

Right - I understand what you mean. The crown does look like it might be a more recent version than 1960. I wonder, is it possible that your 1675 has been fitted with a new crownguard at some point in the past? The important thing is that IMO it certainly doesn't detract from the appearance of the watch, which looks very original - beautifully so!

I'm slowly turning green . . . . . . . !

Stan.

Stan,

Do you mean new crown??? The crown guards are integrated into the case and not changeable. I imagine the crown and tube was probably changed at routine service at some point which is standard.

StanGMT
28 November 2009, 06:29 AM
Stan,

Do you mean new crown??? The crown guards are integrated into the case and not changeable. I imagine the crown and tube was probably changed at routine service at some point which is standard.

Sorry - yes - I mean new crown . . . senior moment!!

Stan.