PDA

View Full Version : Patek Philippe watches - NON HACKING!

Tony-GB
17 January 2010, 08:57 AM
I was so shocked to learn that the Patek Philippe 5711 Nautilus is non hacking! :dummy:

What's the reason for this? Surely to guage how accurate a movement can be, it needs the second hand to stop whilst setting the time...? :banghead:

Such a huge price for something generally considered "the best in the world" & it doesn't have this simple feature...??! :thinking:

rpryan55
17 January 2010, 01:07 PM
Amazes me, as well. I cannot for the life of me figure out why this is not a feature Patek would WANT to put on a watch.

It's for telling time, after all - and isn't it all about accuracy?

sys12345
17 January 2010, 02:22 PM
They probably figure that for someone who can afford a Patek, its never about accuracy since u can get a cheap quartz for that! :dummy:

iwantagmt
17 January 2010, 06:51 PM
This is surprising. However, the new chrono calibre is said to have hacking seconds...at least according to Luxist.

WatchTimes
18 January 2010, 01:23 AM
Hmmm that surprises me and is a bit of a let down.

I wonder why.

WatchTimes
18 January 2010, 01:23 AM
Hmmm that surprises me and is a bit of a let down.

I wonder why.

Double_J
18 January 2010, 02:16 AM
Probably an arbitrary decision that's never been challenged since no one has ever complained.

Joey_V
18 January 2010, 07:10 AM
Can someone explain hacking?

Tony-GB
18 January 2010, 07:42 AM
Can someone explain hacking?

When the crown is unscrewed to adjust the time or date it usually has two "clicks". Normally the first is for the date & the second for the time. When pulled for the time, the second hand should stop moving. Alot of us like to set the second hand at twelve to synchronize it with GMT (in the UK).

This way we can guage whether our pieces gain or lose time.

:cheers:

RolexPete32
18 January 2010, 07:50 AM
So the second hand does not stop when the crown is fully pulled out correct?

rpryan55
18 January 2010, 07:55 AM
So the second hand does not stop when the crown is fully pulled out correct?
Correct. And although it is possible to stop the second hand by rotating the minute hand backward, it is a very awkward way to set the watch. Further, the Caliber 324 S C (used in the 5711 series) is notorious for having the second hand jump a few seconds once the crown is pushed back in.

Not the best way to try to get accuracy. :dummy:

wcl884
18 January 2010, 11:51 AM
Someone at Timezone PP forum did a 2 week accuracy test between Lange 1 / PP 5711 / Rolex Sub (or GMT)...forgive me as I'm recalling this from memory

Lange 1 (purchased used and not serviced for several years) deviated about +15 seconds per day

PP 5711 +10 seconds per day

Rolex was about +4 seconds per day

rpryan55
18 January 2010, 12:01 PM
Someone at Timezone PP forum did a 2 week accuracy test between Lange 1 / PP 5711 / Rolex Sub (or GMT)...forgive me as I'm recalling this from memory

Lange 1 (purchased used and not serviced for several years) deviated about +15 seconds per day

Not my experience with PP. Pretty spot on, actually. :thumbsup:

Ed Rooney
19 January 2010, 02:59 AM
The chairman of PP once said, "if we wanted them to hack, they would hack".

JJ Irani
19 January 2010, 03:05 AM
I agree with the OP: A non-hacking movement can be pretty annoying when trying to set for the correct time.

I did not know this, but am rather surprised that such a modern-day, high-end manufacturer like PP would come up with a non-hacking movement in one of their Flagship models.

JJ

brkanand
19 January 2010, 03:09 AM
Let me avoid buying a Patek watch!

Joey_V
19 January 2010, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the explanation... That said, I don't think it would deter me from a nautilus or a similar PP timepiece.

kjb
20 January 2010, 09:42 PM
Quick Review on the 5711s brother the 5712.When you pull the crown out it slows down the second hand which lets you set it pretty easily . Its not as easy as a Rolex but you get use to it. I checked my watch for accuracy and it was off 4 seconds in 10 days . The daily was running fast about 4 seconds and then slowed down a little when I laid it down at night. The watch is very accurate so far . Its a really nice watch that is very comfortable and the quality is top notch . I would highly recommend one

kjb
20 January 2010, 11:49 PM
Correct. And although it is possible to stop the second hand by rotating the minute hand backward, it is a very awkward way to set the watch. Further, the Caliber 324 S C (used in the 5711 series) is notorious for having the second hand jump a few seconds once the crown is pushed back in.

Not the best way to try to get accuracy. :dummy:

I did not know you could actually stop the second hand . Thanks for the tip

CPTL
23 January 2010, 04:54 AM

I'm sure this had more to do with regulation than anything else.

321Forever
25 January 2020, 06:15 AM
10 years ago, almost to the day, this was the talk of the forum...

BigAppleBill
25 January 2020, 06:27 AM
I was so shocked to learn that the Patek Philippe 5711 Nautilus is non hacking! :dummy:

What's the reason for this? Surely to guage how accurate a movement can be, it needs the second hand to stop whilst setting the time...? :banghead:

Such a huge price for something generally considered "the best in the world" & it doesn't have this simple feature...??! :thinking:

As of around April-June of 2019 the 5711 comes with the upgraded 26-330 SC movement that does feature hacking seconds. Prior to Spring 2019, the 5711 had the 324 SC movement, which didn’t have hacking seconds. This is an obvious case of better late than never.

glamorama
25 January 2020, 07:06 AM
Patek seems lazy with their movements. Non hacking and too small for the casein others (5196).

pam66
25 January 2020, 07:21 AM
10 years ago, almost to the day, this was the talk of the forum...

and patek still did not fix it

Calatrava r
25 January 2020, 07:38 AM
The new movement does have the hacking feature. I prefer a watch with this function as it allows accurate setting. The Lange Perpetual actually resets to zero seconds when the crown is pulled out. A feature all watches should also have. Pain to wait on the seconds hand to set.

Passionata
25 January 2020, 08:01 AM
If a couple of seconds count you don t deserve a Patek.

OP no worry, life is still okay even w/o hacking If u want perfection please buy a Toyota and a Seiko.

Fat_ninja
25 January 2020, 08:05 AM
If a couple of seconds count you don t deserve a Patek.

Lol. What are you saying?

https://i.imgur.com/nQTo9V2.gif

beshannon
25 January 2020, 08:07 AM
It has never bothered me, I can apply back pressure to "hack" for timekeeping performance. The last time I checked my 5711 was +2 per day.

Mr Naultilus
25 January 2020, 08:09 AM
Lol. What are you saying?

https://i.imgur.com/nQTo9V2.gifMeans op can't get a patek otherwise he wouldn't be a kill joy

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

Token74
25 January 2020, 08:25 AM
Another old thread, nearly got caught with my pants down again! But... this time I win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soundserious
25 January 2020, 08:36 AM
You’re easily shocked.

JR16
25 January 2020, 08:42 AM
You’re easily shocked.

Well Tony was 10 years younger then, I’m
sure he’s harder to shock today in 2020 :chuckle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

soundserious
25 January 2020, 08:48 AM
Well Tony was 10 years younger then, I’m
sure he’s harder to shock today in 2020 :chuckle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Huh?!? Argh!!!

yoast
25 January 2020, 08:49 AM
Honestly, I couldn't care less if it hacks or not... It's a work of art..the fact that they tell time is a nice extra :)

Patekandrolex
26 January 2020, 12:31 AM
I love Patek, but honest speaking I doubt the movement is the best in the world. Ive read grand seiko, somehow japanese can be better.

Also, Rolex have a good durability movement. Not easily broke and have good PR.

Patek is more historical, classic and prestige. I doubt Patek movement. My 5712 PR sometimes only 36 hours of power reserve. Ive read on other thread, other people experience this too.

5711 the second hand dont stop is silly, Patek should fix this.

ts3
26 January 2020, 12:47 AM
Another old thread, nearly got caught with my pants down again! But... this time I win!

Congrats on the win!

ts3
26 January 2020, 12:47 AM
5711 the second hand dont stop is silly, Patek should fix this.

Which they did last year...

frommer
26 January 2020, 12:50 AM
I did not asked myself to this day.

Fat_ninja
26 January 2020, 12:51 AM
Which they did last year...

I’ve also been living under a rock :crying:
:rofl:

RHIII
26 January 2020, 01:16 AM
Haute Horology isn’t about telling time.....

Fat_ninja
26 January 2020, 01:53 AM

It’s being subtle enough that the FU print is invisible. Totally:thumbsup:

Token74
26 January 2020, 02:02 AM
It’s being subtle enough that the FU print is invisible. Totally:thumbsup:

I used to write FU and such like on some emails back in the day, in white font so the reader didn’t see. And then Blackberrys came out and it caught me out. Bad times!!

Fat_ninja
26 January 2020, 02:06 AM
I used to write FU and such like on some emails back in the day, in white font so the reader didn’t see. And then Blackberrys came out and it caught me out. Bad times!!

I walk around with my pants down,... but I think some people got the wrong message.

Token74
26 January 2020, 02:07 AM
I walk around with my pants down,... but I think some people got the wrong message.

Balls deep!

Fat_ninja
26 January 2020, 02:10 AM
Balls deep!

Also they get the wrong message when I say balls deep

Nauti
26 January 2020, 02:11 AM
As was posted a little earlier the 5711 from mid 2019 has newer movement the 26-330 and it hacks

mine a late 2019 has newer movement so where the older 324 movement ones are worth X2 the new movement ones are worth X4 hahaha.

no hacking urgggghhhhh.:bartmoon:

321Forever
26 January 2020, 02:13 AM
Little did I expect that there would still be interest in this topic after 10 years. I just thought it would be fun to revive a 10 year old thread.

:-)

Token74
26 January 2020, 02:15 AM

Ha ha - yeah, used it in a Board Meeting once, went down very badly with fellow Board Members!! [emoji23]

BigAppleBill
26 January 2020, 02:31 AM

Subtly worked it in to my “what I’m grateful for” remarks at Thanksgiving. Those are the moments you really discover who gets you. (Thanks, grandpa.)

Fat_ninja
26 January 2020, 02:55 AM
Subtly worked it in to my “what I’m grateful for” remarks at Thanksgiving. Those are the moments you really discover who gets you. (Thanks, grandpa.)

Lol

SJ7715
26 January 2020, 10:04 PM
My PP 5711 looses 2 sec in 3 days. It’s amazingly accurate.

pam66
27 January 2020, 01:22 AM

actually it should be, otherwise design defeats the purpose. or as Gertrude stein would probably say, a watch is a watch is a watch is a watch.....

Calatrava r
27 January 2020, 01:33 AM

The rest, to me, is irrelevant if a watch cannot be accurately set to the precise time, keep the precise time and is legible. No watch is worth a loss of function.

RHIII
27 January 2020, 01:41 AM
actually it should be, otherwise design defeats the purpose. or as Gertrude stein would probably say, a watch is a watch is a watch is a watch.....

To a degree I say facetiously - as an avid enthusiast and collector for the last 25 ish years I appreciate the engineering and mechanics around watchmaking and my favorite references, but nowadays watches have truly become more status symbols and jewelry (we can debate this until we all get carpal tunnel) than time pieces. And who doesn’t have a smartphone?

A friend of mine and Daytona collector said to me YEARS and YEARS ago - one doesn’t wear a Daytona to tell the time, but to show the time.

It is what it is. Some agree, some disagree as is what this forum has become.

Haute horology, Patek, AP and others have never truly concerned themselves with accuracy....and if your watch isn’t +2/-2 does one really get THAT confused as to what time it really is? [emoji848]

fmoore5667
27 January 2020, 01:52 AM
Thanks I really appreciate.....I did not know this

pam66
27 January 2020, 03:08 AM
To a degree I say facetiously - as an avid enthusiast and collector for the last 25 ish years I appreciate the engineering and mechanics around watchmaking and my favorite references, but nowadays watches have truly become more status symbols and jewelry (we can debate this until we all get carpal tunnel) than time pieces. And who doesn’t have a smartphone?

A friend of mine and Daytona collector said to me YEARS and YEARS ago - one doesn’t wear a Daytona to tell the time, but to show the time.

It is what it is. Some agree, some disagree as is what this forum has become.

Haute horology, Patek, AP and others have never truly concerned themselves with accuracy....and if your watch isn’t +2/-2 does one really get THAT confused as to what time it really is? [emoji848]

i do agree that watches are also jewellery and status symbols but their design should - IMHO - revolve around measuring time of which setting is an important part.
if a movement of a top company like patek does not hack then the conclusion for me is that the manufacturer is not offering the best time-keeping technology for mechanical watches. the only reason i can come up with is saving resources in movement design.
btw my 5170P (and i guess all 5170s) does hack.

RHIII
27 January 2020, 03:20 AM
i do agree that watches are also jewellery and status symbols but their design should - IMHO - revolve around measuring time of which setting is an important part.

if a movement of a top company like patek does not hack then the conclusion for me is that the manufacturer is not offering the best time-keeping technology for mechanical watches. the only reason i can come up with is saving resources in movement design.

btw my 5170P (and i guess all 5170s) does hack.

I don’t disagree.

Perhaps it’s Pateks way of ‘concentrating’ more on the more complicated references.

TS did say in an interview that they had no intention of stainless references ‘taking over’....

Just a thought.

pam66
27 January 2020, 03:22 AM
I don’t disagree.

Perhaps it’s Pateks way of ‘concentrating’ more on the more complicated references.

TS did say in an interview that they had no intention of stainless references ‘taking over’....

Just a thought.

well, in their defence, they made 5711 hacking, for a start.

ericmeds
29 January 2020, 04:52 AM
I do agree it's odd that hacking is not supported but PP does make gradual improvements such as the non-magnetic hairsprings that bring it to the next level of timekeeping.

Also they need to bring the 5740's folding mechanism to the mainstream because the current clasps are flimsy!

schoolboy
30 January 2020, 12:53 PM

What??

That is pretty insane. I mean no disrespect, I’m sure Patek has earned its status and respect with hard work and beautiful watches.

But damn.

That’s a lot of money for a watch that doesn’t hack. That would bother me a bit.

I know a lot of watch fans don’t care whether a watch hacks or not.... maybe I’m just not on that level of maturity yet, but I like watches that hack.

subtona
30 January 2020, 02:21 PM
It’s just a stick in the spokes, not really a horological achievement?

schoolboy
30 January 2020, 02:35 PM
They probably figure that for someone who can afford a Patek, its never about accuracy since u can get a cheap quartz for that! :dummy:

Someone who can afford a Nautilus doesn’t need a watch... because THEY decide what time it is :rofl:

BigAppleBill
30 January 2020, 02:35 PM
It’s just a stick in the spokes, not really a horological achievement?

I like your technical jargon. :thumbsup::cheers:

subtona
30 January 2020, 02:39 PM
I like your technical jargon. :thumbsup::cheers:

:rofl::cheers:

schoolboy
30 January 2020, 02:41 PM
The chairman of PP once said, "if we wanted them to hack, they would hack".

Haha I didn’t know that

gtnator
30 January 2020, 02:44 PM
Because they can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

schoolboy
30 January 2020, 02:45 PM
As of around April-June of 2019 the 5711 comes with the upgraded 26-330 SC movement that does feature hacking seconds. Prior to Spring 2019, the 5711 had the 324 SC movement, which didn’t have hacking seconds. This is an obvious case of better late than never.

Just saw your post. That’s awesome that they got it to hack.

Can’t afford one anyway. But still haha

schoolboy
30 January 2020, 02:45 PM
The new movement does have the hacking feature. I prefer a watch with this function as it allows accurate setting. The Lange Perpetual actually resets to zero seconds when the crown is pulled out. A feature all watches should also have. Pain to wait on the seconds hand to set.

Dang never heard of that before. That’s pretty darn cool.

daveo5
2 February 2020, 10:56 AM
I have better things to do then wish my Pateks hacked solely so I could claim my Patek is +0.5 or -1.0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ct.matt
2 February 2020, 12:45 PM
The new movement hacks, the 'old' movement you can apply backwards pressure on the crown which stops the second hand in its track. It's as good as hacking, albeit a little annoying because you have to hold onto the crown. It does not harm the movement per Patek service.