PDA

View Full Version : How do I verify if the watch is stolen?

salegre
17 August 2010, 12:54 AM
I have an opportunity to purchase a Rolex GMT Master II for an excellent price based on my research. My only qualm is that the person does not have the paperwork on the watch. The person said he would provide me with the serial number and any identifying numbers I need from the watch so that I can research myself and if I am satisfied will go with me to a watch dealer to confirm authenticity. Is there a list I can check to see whether or not the watch is stolen? Are all Rolex watches registered at time of purchase and if I purchase without paperwork how do I go about registering the watch. Please advise.

Sunshine
17 August 2010, 01:18 AM
As to the best of my knowledge there is no magic list of all the Rolex in the world. Stolen that is. Well not that you can view on the net or call and get a list of. To answer your question regarding if all newly sold Rolex are registered to one customer I would have to say yes, IF purchased from an AD. In most cases of stolen goods the sealer will not be as willing as yours to proved information. Much less take it to an AD with you and run the risk of being on a store surveillance camera. If you think he is unsure of the watches past whereabouts and still decide to go with it I would write up a detailed sale contract and try to obtain a copy of his driver’s license. You might add in the contract “seller assures he is the only owner of the item and the item is not currently under any lean". Don’t take my only word on this keep asking around. At the end of the day it is best to spend your money here on "TRF"

Tools
17 August 2010, 01:21 AM
Rolex watches are not registered at the time of purchase, except, perhaps, at your Jewelers. There is no registration process... at the time of purchase, the Dealer is supposed to put your name on the warranty card to make it valid.. but, that's it..

the Rolex Service Center will ensure that a watch is not on their stolen register if you physically take it in, or send it to them.. If it is, they will start the recovery process with the authority who reported it stolen.

If you want Rolex to have some record that you currently have the watch, ask them for a service estimate (or have it serviced); then their data bank will show that you waere the last person with that serial number and you will have the Rolex paperwork associated with the service..

jcherskine
17 August 2010, 01:23 AM
Rolex U.K. have a register of all Rolex watches reported lost or stolen in the U.K.
I would imagine that is also the case elsewhere?

padi56
17 August 2010, 01:28 AM
Have to agree with Larry but the most important thing is getting a genuine watch the papers are secondary.

Sunshine
17 August 2010, 01:37 AM
Rolex watches are not registered at the time of purchase, except, perhaps, at your Jewelers. There is no registration process... at the time of purchase, the Dealer is supposed to put your name on the warranty card to make it valid.. but, that's it..

the Rolex Service Center will ensure that a watch is not on their stolen register if you physically take it in, or send it to them.. If it is, they will start the recovery process with the authority who reported it stolen.

If you want Rolex to have some record that you currently have the watch, ask them for a service estimate (or have it serviced); then their data bank will show that you waere the last person with that serial number and you will have the Rolex paperwork associated with the service..

Don’t take my only word on this keep asking around. What did I tell you, thanks Tools

jcherskine
17 August 2010, 02:07 AM
Is there a list I can check to see whether or not the watch is stolen?

Looks as though Rolex USA works differently from Rolex U.K.

Rolex U.K. have a hotline that you can use to check whether the watch in question is lost or stolen. They will verify one way or the other.
If it is lost or stolen, one can expect a visit from the local constabulary.
It's a good service and one I have used on a couple of occasions.

From what Larry has said, and as you are located in the USA, it looks like a riskier business buying a Rolex in the USA outwith an AD.

EchoBlueUK
17 August 2010, 03:48 AM
Looks as though Rolex USA works differently from Rolex U.K.

Rolex U.K. have a hotline that you can use to check whether the watch in question is lost or stolen. They will verify one way or the other.
If it is lost or stolen, one can expect a visit from the local constabulary.
It's a good service and one I have used on a couple of occasions.

From what Larry has said, and as you are located in the USA, it looks like a riskier business buying a Rolex in the USA outwith an AD.

Anyone know the number of the hotline?

jcherskine
17 August 2010, 03:50 AM
Anyone know the number of the hotline?

This one:
01322 553454

Kapture1
17 August 2010, 03:57 AM
When mine was stolen, I was told I had to fax the police report all around the world to have it listed at RCS as stolen. If it was stolen in Japan, made its way over here, the US RSC's may not have record of it as stolen, even if it is.

Evan614
17 August 2010, 05:07 AM
When mine was stolen, I was told I had to fax the police report all around the world to have it listed at RCS as stolen. If it was stolen in Japan, made its way over here, the US RSC's may not have record of it as stolen, even if it is.
Interesting.:thinking: Sounds like an easy way to traffic stolen Rollies undetected.:thumbsdow

Speed
17 August 2010, 05:16 AM
One other thing to note.

If you buy the watch...then take it to a RSC who determines it was stolen....the RSC will keep the watch.

AndersB
17 August 2010, 05:19 AM
This one:
01322 553454

And if that's in the UK the number would be +44 1322 553454 for non-UK callers I guess?