PDA

View Full Version : Duty Free??

Sunshine
19 August 2010, 06:52 PM
So next week I will be in Amsterdam. If I buy a Rolex in the airport is it tax or duty free? Or how does this work.. I see the eru. is down to the $ now.

Jackxv
19 August 2010, 06:58 PM
Jim , Gassan will be the cheapest around.

They can also sent the watch from Amsterdam Diamond Center to Gassan Schiphol (same owner)
Expect a Daytona (if available) for about 6600 euro's

If you go outside the EU you'll be able to buy tax free.

Jack

Puffy
19 August 2010, 07:11 PM
Jack, what is the supply of SS Daytonas like in the Netherlands?

Sunshine
19 August 2010, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=Jackxv;2005611]Jim , Gassan will be the cheapest around.

They can also sent the watch from Amsterdam Diamond Center to Gassan Schiphol (same owner)
Expect a Daytona (if available) for about 6600 euro's

If you go outside the EU you'll be able to buy tax free.

Jack[/QUOT

Exp. out side the EU?

esm
19 August 2010, 07:26 PM
Exp. out side the EU?

i think i understood your post.....

if you bought a watch in an EU country say... The Netherlands, and travelling to Germany, you will not be able to get tax free or claim tax free leaving The Netherlands. HOWEVER, if you are leaving Germany to a non-EU country say... Turkey, then you will be able to claim your tax at the Germany airport (i think this involves in getting the tax free voucher stamped and drop it off at the airport mailbox - the money should go back to your nominated credit card)

hope this makes sense (i need a cup of black americano now)

Sunshine
19 August 2010, 07:31 PM
i think i understood your post.....

if you bought a watch in an EU country say... The Netherlands, and travelling to Germany, you will not be able to get tax free or claim tax free leaving The Netherlands. HOWEVER, if you are leaving Germany to a non-EU country say... Turkey, then you will be able to claim your tax at the Germany airport (i think this involves in getting the tax free voucher stamped and drop it off at the airport mailbox - the money should go back to your nominated credit card)

hope this makes sense (i need a cup of black americano now)

So it sounds like this might work for me if I am going to the US??

esm
19 August 2010, 07:42 PM
So it sounds like this might work for me if I am going to the US??

US is a non-EU country, so yes, it will work.

(but what are you going to do when returning to your country?)

Nicko
19 August 2010, 08:19 PM
Wear it....lol...all boxes mailed home from airport. I would never do this of course. Lol

Sunshine
19 August 2010, 09:43 PM
Wear it....lol...all boxes mailed home from airport. I would never do this of course. Lol

Dont think I wont!! "what watch? this is mine" LOL

Jackxv
20 August 2010, 04:37 AM
Jack, what is the supply of SS Daytonas like in the Netherlands?

In a few Ad's they have got them in stock , like Heetman Rotterdam (80km from Amsterdam)

When you fly outside the EU the tax will be refunded BUT when you buy at Schiphol Airport in the duty free one you can pay netto price.

Because Gassan, Schiphol AD and Amsterdam Diamond Center owner, is propably the biggest Rolex AD in the Benelux they can ship from and to Schiphol.
They have to take the tax 19% when sold non duty free to the government so it doesn't matter if they have to sell it without the tax.

Jack

DOUBLE 0 SE7EN
20 August 2010, 05:06 AM
At Amsterdam Schipol airport the gmtIIc is 4500 euro..

Supermax
21 August 2010, 09:39 AM
Can I buy a watch from schiphol AirPort duty-free, and take this to Norway (not EU), wothout paying any taxes?

DOUBLE 0 SE7EN
21 August 2010, 09:40 AM
Can I buy a watch from schiphol AirPort duty-free, and take this to Norway (not EU), wothout paying any taxes?

Yes you can...

Supermax
21 August 2010, 09:49 AM
Is this special for tje airport in amsterdam or is it the same in all eu-countries that sells tax-free and duty-free rolex? Do you know the price on the new submariner?

DOUBLE 0 SE7EN
21 August 2010, 10:11 AM
Is this special for tje airport in amsterdam or is it the same in all eu-countries that sells tax-free and duty-free rolex? Do you know the price on the new submariner?

All the same.

DOUBLE 0 SE7EN
21 August 2010, 10:12 AM
My friend arrived from Schipol today and said 4250 for GMTIIc and 4500 for the SUBc.

DOUBLE 0 SE7EN
21 August 2010, 10:13 AM
Euros:)

esm
21 August 2010, 10:38 AM

techinically you can not as a lawful citizen.... but im sure it hasnt stopped someone doing it. :rofl:

Supermax
21 August 2010, 05:32 PM
I`ve read that everything over around $1000 have to be declared in Norway, but as DOUBLE 0 SEVEN says, its something about this dutyfree-shopping and EU-rules etc. I dont find any of this rules on norwegian gouverments website. Anybody who know where I can find more info? And if I not declare it in Norway, do I get problems with insurance, guarantee et.?? A Rolex, submariner (new) is $3600 cheaper at Amsterdam airport compared to an AD in Norway!! To good to be true?

Sunshine
21 August 2010, 06:38 PM
In a few Ad's they have got them in stock , like Heetman Rotterdam (80km from Amsterdam)

When you fly outside the EU the tax will be refunded BUT when you buy at Schiphol Airport in the duty free one you can pay netto price.

Because Gassan, Schiphol AD and Amsterdam Diamond Center owner, is propably the biggest Rolex AD in the Benelux they can ship from and to Schiphol.
They have to take the tax 19% when sold non duty free to the government so it doesn't matter if they have to sell it without the tax.

Jack

I am Confused so I will pay the 19% regardless :thinking:

Johny
21 August 2010, 11:47 PM
:thumbsup:sunshine i love your disclaimer:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Family Man
22 August 2010, 12:20 AM
Hi Guys,

A word of warning, especially to those living in the EU.

Should you "forget" to declare a purchase on which no duty has been paid, when you return home the authorities will consider you guilty of tax evasion and will prosecute you.

EU governments share financial records and make their banks reveal records to them. I think thay can go back 6 years. So there could be a knock on the door long after you made the purchase. There was an EU directive in 2009.

This also effects purchases made in the Channel Islands where VAT is much lower than other parts of the EU. When you return home you should pay import VAT making the overall purchase more expensive than buying on your high street.

Be careful. Can you afford a criminal record?

Sorry to be a kill-joy.

Didn't sombody say, "here is no escaping death or taxes".

Regards,

Peter.

Sunshine
22 August 2010, 12:33 AM
:thumbsup:sunshine i love your disclaimer:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks johny, i was going to pull a bunch of info. out of the code book for 904L and post on that thread but I just let it go!!!!

Supermax
23 August 2010, 11:27 AM
Hi Guys,

A word of warning, especially to those living in the EU.

Should you "forget" to declare a purchase on which no duty has been paid, when you return home the authorities will consider you guilty of tax evasion and will prosecute you.

EU governments share financial records and make their banks reveal records to them. I think thay can go back 6 years. So there could be a knock on the door long after you made the purchase. There was an EU directive in 2009.

This also effects purchases made in the Channel Islands where VAT is much lower than other parts of the EU. When you return home you should pay import VAT making the overall purchase more expensive than buying on your high street.

Be careful. Can you afford a criminal record?

Sorry to be a kill-joy.

Didn't sombody say, "here is no escaping death or taxes".

Regards,

Peter.
Is this only between EU countries?

Zed Homme
23 August 2010, 12:17 PM
Is this only between EU countries?

I'm sure if you import a rolex into Norway and fail to declare it (and pay taxes) you are breaking Norwegian law. However, odds are you won't get searched or caught....

Sunshine
23 August 2010, 12:58 PM
I have read on other sites that the nice Rolex A/D in the airport will report you to the proper people. I.E., if they run your debit or credit card then they report that John Doe, Visa card number xxxx xxx x123, bought a GMT master IIc for $xxxxx on x/x/2010. I don’t know this for sure but it could happen. Amazing how the government can swindle millions and a poor man can’t save 100 bucks.

Evan614
23 August 2010, 09:52 PM
I have read on other sites that the nice Rolex A/D in the airport will report you to the proper people. I.E., if they run your debit or credit card then they report that John Doe, Visa card number xxxx xxx x123, bought a GMT master IIc for $xxxxx on x/x/2010. I don’t know this for sure but it could happen. Amazing how the government can swindle millions and a poor man can’t save 100 bucks.

yup:crying:, cash is king at times.

Sunshine
24 August 2010, 01:02 AM
yup:crying:, cash is king at times.

Yea, I am trying to find a way to ATM out 4G!!

Supermax
24 August 2010, 11:52 PM
I talked to the AD at Geneva dutyfree now. They have to report the Rolexes taxfree-papers to their coustoms, and he didnt know what they was doing. So, do they report the watch only if you travel to another EU-country? And is it any difference if you pay cash or with visa-card?

Sunshine
25 August 2010, 01:04 AM
I talked to the AD at Geneva dutyfree now. They have to report the Rolexes taxfree-papers to their coustoms, and he didnt know what they was doing. So, do they report the watch only if you travel to another EU-country? And is it any difference if you pay cash or with visa-card?

Well I have done some soul searching and as my grandpa use to say “son, don’t play with things today that you can’t sleep with tonight” I am not 100% sure what is right, wrong or boarder line so I will keep my money here on. TRF

Supermax
25 August 2010, 09:39 AM
Yes! Me too ;)

jdc
25 August 2010, 07:05 PM
My understanding is that if you buy tax free at an EU airport and are traveling within an EU country, including UK to UK airports you can buy at the reduced prices without having to pay any additional tax. A non EU citizen if buying in EU and returning to say USA would be liable to pay any tax import charges his country dictates.

Edit I think the Channel islands have different tax situation to EEC countries

Andad
25 August 2010, 07:08 PM
Why are we beating this to death?:thinking:

Most of us know right from wrong or can deduce/calculate/read/guess the requirements.:thumbsup:

IMO if in doubt don't ask us, ask a 'Customs Occifer' at your arrival point.:chuckle::chuckle:

denise
9 January 2013, 10:29 PM
can anyone advise best/cheapest place to buy submariner. i was thinking either schipol, geneve or vegas. any ideas please guys

andromeda160
9 January 2013, 10:37 PM
can anyone advise best/cheapest place to buy submariner. i was thinking either schipol, geneve or vegas. any ideas please guys

I doubt you'll find any discounts in geneve and I know your paying top $$$ in Vegas.

denise
9 January 2013, 10:56 PM

More Deneiro
9 January 2013, 11:07 PM
Not sure about Geneve or Vegas. When I was shopping for my purchase recently, Schiphol price was attractive but I think only if you are non EU returning to your home country.

VADanno
10 January 2013, 12:22 AM
$8600 for a BNIB Daytona SS at Schiphol? The US watch duty is 3% (from memory, I didn't look it up today), so to be above board you give the US Treasury $250. You have a brand new Daytona that you can flip for close to $12,000. Buy three, and get one free!