PDA

View Full Version : In which country do they sell the most Rolex watches?

Gerardus
16 September 2010, 05:59 AM
Personally i think in Saudi Arabia, but thats just a thought.....:thinking:

dddrees
16 September 2010, 06:02 AM
I would think it would be the USA. This may change however.

mtrunner
16 September 2010, 06:03 AM
I am guessing China will take the top spot in the very near future.

tulsaokusa
16 September 2010, 06:21 AM
China/Hong Kong gets my vote.

mfer
16 September 2010, 06:23 AM
USA is still #1, but China is the quickest growing.

Zed Homme
16 September 2010, 06:24 AM
I would think the United States by a long shot. However, eventually China and possibly India will take the lead...

moviefreak
16 September 2010, 06:27 AM
If it is a trick question..??? :thinking:
I guess it is Switzerland.. aren't they all sold from there to the AD's... :rofl::rofl::dummy::dummy:

David Woo
16 September 2010, 06:32 AM
I would guess the far east and the mid east, with europe and US after.
DW

tkc324
16 September 2010, 07:34 AM
I am fairly certain its Singapore.

jacksprat
16 September 2010, 07:37 AM
japan

kerrison
16 September 2010, 07:43 AM
I personally think it's the Far East: Hong Kong, Singapore, and now China. I remember even as a small child growing up in Hong Kong I knew about Rolex as it was (and still is) one of those brands that everybody knows and talks about.

Art 1
16 September 2010, 07:48 AM
If you go by swiss watch sales figures it should be Hong Kong or the USA.

snowbird
16 September 2010, 08:22 AM
If you go by swiss watch sales figures it should be Hong Kong or the USA.

Interesting. HK is obviously a fairly small place - they must have a lot of buyers from mainland China and others outside HK.

sea-dweller
16 September 2010, 08:38 AM
Hong Kong, where you see a Rolex on almost every other wrist.

ibramr
16 September 2010, 08:51 AM
Very good discussion. Let us try to guessestimate it. What we are trying to guess is the market size for new Rolex watches every year. Assume that in the US the likelyhood of buying a Rolex is one for every 1500 Americans. Given that we are close to 350 million, then the market size here is around 230,000 watches sold every year. This is close to 5,000 new watches sold in every state of the Union on average (this average puts NY and CA at the same level as VT and RI).

For China, this ratio is perhaps one in every 50,000 or more (say proportionate to the ratio of per capita income here and there). This will make China's market potential at 200,000 new watches a year. And so on.

These ratios are just estimates, and would be very nice to know the real numbers.

rayt
16 September 2010, 09:21 AM
hk and japan for sure.

GoldenBear
16 September 2010, 09:31 AM
For me it was a "state"...of inebriation...(with no regrets).

padi56
16 September 2010, 10:09 PM
I would think it would be the USA. This may change however.

Asia is Rolex biggest market and growing very fast.

mjrennie
16 September 2010, 10:59 PM
per capita is a better question...saudi?

slcbbrown
16 September 2010, 11:12 PM
I believe US with China, maybe not second, yet, but gaining.

multimedia
16 September 2010, 11:27 PM
Hong Kong is the world’s largest market for Swiss watch exports, and Rolex gets about 5 percent of sales from the region.

Omega, on the other hand, gets 35 percent of sales from greater China.

In China, a quarter of all Internet searches for watch brands last year were for Omega, compared with Rolex’s 18 percent, according to IC Agency, which analyzed 500 million search queries in a study of 10 countries. China and Hong Kong last year consumed a fifth of total Swiss watch production.

Geneva-based Rolex, which is owned by the Hans Wilsdorf Foundation, got about a third of revenue from the U.S. before the credit crunch, Kepler’s Cox said. The U.S. had the biggest drop in Swiss watch shipments in 2009 among the 10 nations that imported the most, declining 38 percent. Omega relies on the U.S. for about 10 percent of its sales, Cox estimates.

Continue reading here; Rolex’s Swiss Watch Hegemony Threatened by Omega (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aG8H3YKlGUsU)

Cheers,
Joe

Speed
16 September 2010, 11:40 PM
TRF Country!

cwagner
16 September 2010, 11:55 PM
If it is a trick question..??? :thinking:
I guess it is Switzerland.. aren't they all sold from there to the AD's... :rofl::rofl::dummy::dummy:

Clever!!! I like this:clap:

Route 66
17 September 2010, 12:00 AM
...Assume that in the US the likelyhood of buying a Rolex is one for every 1500 Americans. Given that we are close to 350 million, then the market size here is around 230,000 watches sold every year...

I'm interested to know how you came up with the figure of one in 1500 Americans buying new Rolexes.

And the population of the U.S. is currently 307 million, not 350 million. :cheers:

The GMT Master
17 September 2010, 12:27 AM
China must be one of the larger markets - the demand is so high there, they could take Rolex's entire annual production

multimedia
17 September 2010, 12:29 AM
China must be one of the larger markets - the demand is so high there, they could take Rolex's entire annual production

When it comes to "gold watches" - yes they are very VERY popular out here, but when it comes to the SUB, GMT etc... no (much less than one would think).

Read the article I linked to above. ("Hong Kong is the world’s largest market for Swiss watch exports, and Rolex gets about 5 percent of sales from the region.")

Cheers,
Joe

Fearsome Puppy
17 September 2010, 12:35 AM
I'd vote for Hong Kong, where you see Rolexes frequently on people from all walks of life... When I lived in HK there must have been literally 50 or so different places to buy a rolex from within a 10 min walk...

Carlos98326194
17 September 2010, 12:46 AM
Definitely HK.
There are literally about 10 rolex Ads 5mins away from where I work.
Most people from China and other neighboring countries from Asia go to HK to shop.

The GMT Master
17 September 2010, 12:57 AM
When it comes to "gold watches" - yes they are very VERY popular out here, but when it comes to the SUB, GMT etc... no (much less than one would think).

Read the article I linked to above. ("Hong Kong is the world’s largest market for Swiss watch exports, and Rolex gets about 5 percent of sales from the region.")

Cheers,
Joe

Interesting read, thankyou Joe :thumbsup::cheers:

Carlos98326194
17 September 2010, 01:02 AM

Cheers,
Joe

Agree with that.:read:
Most people from HK are only into SS watches unlike people from China people that are into Gold watches.
My Ads also told me that most of their Gold Rolex are either sold to people from China or to other foreign tourist.

fc3s2k
17 September 2010, 01:07 AM
TRF Country!

X2:thumbsup:
For sure

If not.
The Philippines!!!!

Sunster
17 September 2010, 01:33 AM
It is Hong kong, then USA is second.

It is amazing that such a tiny dot on the world sells more Rolex watches than anywhere else.....these would be purchased by watch tourists from afar and tourists travelling across from China. Then add the fact that nearly every other person wears a Rolex in Hong Kong....(even the hotel bus boys) then its understandable why this is the case.

I've read a number of financial articles stating this....here's one
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/27/fashion/27iht-acawrolex.html

sakuraba
17 September 2010, 02:59 AM
I would have guessed HK and the US would be the top 2 in terms of sales.

But as a region, I can't imagine Asia being undersold.

JJ Irani
17 September 2010, 03:27 AM
If there were 10 more buyers and flippers like me, it would have to be New Zealand!! :chuckle:

Gerardus
17 September 2010, 03:32 AM
If there were 10 more buyers and flippers like me, it would have to be New Zealand!! :chuckle:

Hey JJ how are you:thinking:
I am wondering where is your collection... or did you sell already....2 pieces:thinking:

jeremyam
17 September 2010, 04:15 AM
Volume: USA/China

Currency exchange/values would really dictate which country/region is most profitable-