PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Rolex Oyster Chronograph, Ref. 6234, black face, circa 1960

tomcobb
25 October 2010, 11:21 AM
I would like information about this watch, which my father bought before entering pilot training in 1960. I have not been able to find pictures of anything exactly like it. Any information regarding its history or value, or whom to contact for a reliable appraisal, would be appreciated. Thanks.

kyle L
25 October 2010, 11:46 AM
I think it's called a pre-daytona, hopefully others can help you more. Here's a similar one:

http://www.worldtempus.com/uploads/RTEmagicC_09_1124_Rolex_ref.6234.jpg.jpg

oinkitt
25 October 2010, 12:38 PM
It appears that it has been redialed.

This will effect the value greatly.

tomcobb
25 October 2010, 04:11 PM
Do you know if it's common for the factory to give back the original dial when work is done? I am trying to figure out whether it would be worthwhile to look for these parts in my dad's affairs. Also, how can you tell it was redialed? Thanks, Tom

oinkitt
25 October 2010, 10:49 PM
It is highly likey that the original dial was repainted so looking for a dial in your fathers possessions would be fruitless.

In this case it is quite easy to tell that the dial is not original. It is very sloppy workmanship. Just compare it to the one posted below your one. There are a number of telling signs, the outer track is too close to the markers, the numbers on the sub dials are very poorly done as are the numbers on the outer track, the hands appear too long - however looking more closely it just appeas that way because the dial has been so poorly done. You may be able to find an original dial for this watch but it would not come cheep or be easy to find.