PDA

View Full Version : What whould you choose?

Goodwatch
17 October 2005, 05:41 AM
Today I watched a small documentary about Dutch watchmaker (literally) Christiaan van der Klauw. He has a small workshop where all his watches are made by hand. He starts out with a brass disc in which the chambers for all the cogs and wheels for the movement are milled (the platine) after which this is decorated and rhodium plated. His specialty is the ‘Astrolabium’, watches that besides time and date also show the positions of the sun and planets in real time. They range in price from 2450 to 32500 Euro. A new movement takes him about a year to design.

Nice watches for sure. But I’m not compelled to buy one, I’d buy a Sub date instead. This, in fact, goes right against all common sense. Why choose a mass produced (don’t kid yourself, Rolex mass produces those watches) watch over a real handmade and very special timepiece?

Question is: what would you do?

Frans.

Alan From New York
17 October 2005, 06:29 AM
Part of what influenced me to get the Fortis B-42 Alarm Chronograph was the Peter Gerber designed movement.

So I can have my cake and eat it too. :agree:

Manatee
17 October 2005, 09:26 AM
I'd love to get a van der Klaaw. But not until after I get an F.P. Journe.

I wouln't get them instead of mass-produced watches (like Rolex) but in addition to them.

dman
17 October 2005, 08:57 PM
I'd love to get a van der Klaaw. But not until after I get an F.P. Journe.

I wouln't get them instead of mass-produced watches (like Rolex) but in addition to them.
Well put in that last statement Peter. :thumbsup:

My Rolex AD just got Journe in his boutique this year, very beautiful . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Earl
17 October 2005, 09:53 PM
Alan, thats a nice looking watch!