PDA

View Full Version : Rolex 1016

Lol-x
17 November 2005, 09:04 AM
The legendary 1016 has a lot of accolades, also there was a lot of marketing of the early model Explorer in being worn or used in an expedition to the top of Mt. Everest.

Notably Rolex, in a mid 1980's publication, recites a testamonial letter sent to it in 1976 from a military officer who being one person who in only 3% of the US Army had successfully endured the 9 week Ranger Course at West Point and who stated of his 1016 Explorer:

"I cannot adequately describe the severe abuse my watch was subjected to in the course of the 9 weeks involved. Pounded on obstacle courses and confidence tests; battered in day-after-day of patrolling mountains, jungles, and swamp; immersed for extended periods in mud, river, and ocean; jolted in rappels from cliffsides and helicopters......My Rolex never failed. It was often the only watch available, as others were reluctant to wear theirs, or had already broken them."

Yes, (I kid you not) I can say that is a true story, I have personally spoken to the now Colonel, Director of Staff, NATO Joint Forces Command, Naples Italy, who until yesterday didn't even know Rolex published his 1976 letter.

Since the 1976 letter the Colonel's Explorer endured numerous other rugged encounters, and never missed a beat (until it was stolen in the 1990's).

Thank you Colonel, incredible story. As a tribute here is a photo of my 1990 ("L" serial) 1016 Explorer.

http://smoothride.com.au/uploadedFiles/1132219761015-9020.jpg:cheers: :thumbsup: :cheers:

RogerF
17 November 2005, 09:33 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!! A Beaut! I am loving my "younger brother" of yours so much that I cant begin to imagine what it would like to live with one of those for a few years..... time will tell as my love grows everytime I put on my explorer.

BruceS
17 November 2005, 09:52 AM
Great story and a beautiful Explorer you have there! Thanks for posting :thumbsup:

I recall a story a US soldier in Iraq posted on TZ about his Seadweller and how he and it, survived his armored vehicle hitting a roadside bomb. If I recall, he was blown against the back of the vehicle. His watch survived with some bruises (him too). His buddy was wearing a Tag and the crystal blew out of it. That's about all I remember of the story, but it was a true testimate to the toughness of a Rolex!!
Cheers,
Bruce

mailman
17 November 2005, 09:59 AM
Great story and beautiful watch. :thumbsup: Thanks for the pic.

molex
17 November 2005, 10:21 AM
Awesome watch, just perfect! :thumbsup:

Gedanken
17 November 2005, 11:43 AM
Great story, LOL-x, and not surprising at all. I've seen G-Shocks and all manner of so-called tough watches fall by the wayside in the course of combat training - a one-year-old Casio would be considered a veteran. :chuckle:

dman
17 November 2005, 11:47 AM
WOW!! That is a beauty for sure. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JJ Irani
17 November 2005, 03:57 PM
Great story, Lol-x,

Now do you wonder why I'm such a die-hard Rolex fan?:chuckle: :chuckle: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

padi56
17 November 2005, 06:43 PM
Agree the 1016 is now a Rolex legend,but still great debate whether the Rolex Explorer, or the Smiths Everest, was on the summit of Mt Everest.

Lol-x
30 May 2009, 12:29 PM
This is one of my most favorite dials.

BeeMee
30 May 2009, 12:32 PM
How old is Vintage for the purposes of this forum?

T5AUS
30 May 2009, 12:37 PM
Love the story Steve,:thumbsup: but to go through all that and then to have it stolen by some lo-life grub, dang, that sucks.:thumbsdow

lobo58
30 May 2009, 12:38 PM
That may well be the Dial of All Time. Tough to top.

Tools
31 May 2009, 12:45 AM
The Explorer 3-6-9- dial is possibly responsible for driving more enthusiasts to Rolex than any other dial...in my opinion.......:cheers:

SLS
31 May 2009, 04:22 AM
Great story & watch! I am on the look out for a 1016!
Scott