PDA

View Full Version : Looking for my first Rolex

Frederick
23 January 2013, 03:44 PM
I am looking to acquire my first Rolex. I know what I want but I do not know all the terms you folks use or how to know that it's authentic.

I am looking for a white faced datejust with the striped/textured/tuxedo face. I hope that makes sense to someone. Any help would be great.

JohnBoy
24 January 2013, 05:51 AM
Welcome Fred. Well, you have very basically described what you want in a Datejust. Information missing includes: 1. metal(s) - stainless (SS), stainless/gold two-tone (TT), yellow gold (YG), white gold (EG), or rose gold (RG); 2. bezel design - typically fluted or smooth (domed), but a couple more choices on older models; 3. bracelet - jubilee, oyster, or president, or on a leather strap; 4. movement - quickset or non-quickset (older DJs only), and; series - DJ (older design, very traditional and smaller cases), or DJII (newer, larger case diameter, heavier and improved bracelets). Choices, choices, choices...

The Datejust is, and has been, a very popular watch. So, there are a lot of them out there, both new and used. You might want to do a little more homework here, and perhaps drop by a local AD or used watch shop and try on a few. When you have decided on a particular watch, have a look at the sales forum here on TRF. The sellers and their prices are the best on the internet! Good luck! :cheers::cheers:

Frederick
24 January 2013, 06:46 AM
So I guess I would be looking for SS, Fluted, Jubilee, White Tapestry Dial. As for Movement and DJ or DJII I do not know. The White Tapestry Dial is the most important to me.