PDA

View Full Version : Seller wants my passport no and issue date

Briannourse
23 August 2013, 10:57 PM
Hello Guys

I need some advice please.

I have just purchased a watch from italy, im in the UK.

He wants the following why?

> - Name and surname:
> - birthday
> - document number
> - issue date
> - telephone number

I know when i go away on holiday and buy something they want to see passport, is this safe.

Thanks

OrangeSport
23 August 2013, 11:10 PM
Seen similar posts on other forums, with sellers asking for all kinds of info. I wouldn't. There are plenty of watches out there, why chance it?

Name, address, telephone number and money. That's all he needs.

Jog on seller!

watchwatcher
23 August 2013, 11:11 PM
I think I would ask the "why" question to the seller, and, if not satisfied with the answer, walk away.

Macro
23 August 2013, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't give my details out - particularly if they also have your bank account details.

There have been a few posts in the past about unreliable shipping from Italy too - watches disappearing in transit.

Be careful.

Cc1966
23 August 2013, 11:13 PM
I would protect my passport number unless you want it counterfeited about a thousand times IMHO. Good luck:cheers:

Google: protecting passport number

patek.wis
23 August 2013, 11:14 PM
The only time I ask for a drivers license with the number blurred is I'd I'm buying from someone with very little reference

When I sell (and I sell a lot), I have never
Ever
Ever
Asked for more than name, address and tele

Steer clear

ceconomakis
23 August 2013, 11:16 PM
Please be careful. Are you paying by bank transfer or a bank related document?

As mentioned above, some ID info is ok, but if they are shipping to you from a store, no need for what they requested.

DHL/Fedex require your ID only upon delivery and not upon shipment.

Manofsteelpt
23 August 2013, 11:16 PM
Def seems fishy.

Rags
23 August 2013, 11:20 PM
Never give out info like that. Name, address & phone number is sufficient.

azguy
23 August 2013, 11:32 PM
No, no and no.....

cajunron
23 August 2013, 11:40 PM
Run away!

mjclark32
23 August 2013, 11:41 PM
I'd walk

Briannourse
24 August 2013, 12:42 AM
Thanks for your replies

Its a shop

Luxury e Jewels
via armellini 44
60019 Senigallia
(italy)

Just thought it was odd, he says "After i need also your personal details to make receipt/facture:"

I did some research and the shop exists.

Its comes with all certificates and is Full Security Insurance Shipping, so he says.

cop414
24 August 2013, 12:46 AM
I agree with the above posts, I'd walk on this purchase.

beshannon
24 August 2013, 12:59 AM
Not a chance.

A passport has nothing to do with a watch purchase.

Tell him you do not have one and see what he says?

threemonkeys
24 August 2013, 02:16 AM
I thinketh not. Legit or not, I don't give out my private info.

T. Ferguson
24 August 2013, 02:45 AM
I wouldn't, unless he was agreeing to take a third party, post-dated check as payment or filling out loan papers and needs identification. :rofl:

Even if you are using a credit card I don't get it. I've bought a lot of things worth some money over the phone or on the internet and never had to provide information like that.

dysondiver
24 August 2013, 02:48 AM
seems like a lot of info to give out ,,, no harm to ask why.
as long as the seller gets paid , and has a delivery adresss ,,, rest seems a bit sus.

Kingair
24 August 2013, 05:03 AM
Italy . . . you better watch out !

Just my .02

HAGWe

:cheers:

nanagno
24 August 2013, 05:23 AM
Give him a random number and see how he reacts!

Have fun !

Briannourse
24 August 2013, 05:27 AM
Hi guys

Thanks again for replies.

I said I won't give out those details and he said fine, no worries it's for a receipt I get a copy and so do they.

Weird, maybe they need to change some Rolex register thing, I remember doing this on my explorer 2. I got back a new certificate with my details on.

B

chicfarmer1
24 August 2013, 06:28 AM
I did some research and the shop exists.

I'm sorry, but you just couldn't set the bar any lower than that in terms of vetting. (Well, I guess lower would be: it exists, in Nigeria.)

This is the internet, where fraud has free reign. You'd better be extremely confident in who you buy from, rock solid, before you send money, and certainly any red flags need to be considered.

bondtoys
24 August 2013, 06:30 AM
Sorry people, but most of you may be totally wrong.

Italy's sellers have some of the strictest laws against tax evasion.
You can't buy an icecream on the street without someone handing you over a cash receipt. If they don't they get heavily punished by the financial police.

If someone sells you a watch and sends it off, he must provide the government with these kind of data.
And I am sure that soon an italian member will show up here to confirm.

On the other hand, it could be an attempt to fish your data - we'll probably never know

threemonkeys
24 August 2013, 07:52 AM
So why buy under those circumstances? And you don't know if the seller has any way or desire to safeguard your private info. There's so many rock-solid sellers out there that I would never go this route.

bayerische
24 August 2013, 09:47 AM
Why on earth would a seller need that info... Fishy.

SUBversive
24 August 2013, 11:17 AM
:thumbsdow

Rbdport
24 August 2013, 11:46 AM
I've purchased luxury goods all over the world. All they've ever needed is my Amex number. Anything else I would be suspect.