PDA

View Full Version : Nadal's $690,000 watch!

skprd13
5 September 2013, 04:08 PM
Anybody see the $690,000 watch Nadal is wearing in the U.S. Open? $690,000!!! Really that much for a watch. To me that is just plain crazy. However I am sure he probably did not pay for the watch! At least I am assuming he did not. However we all know what happens when you assume something. Hahahahahah :cheers:

shnxx
5 September 2013, 04:10 PM
Richard milles are pretty awesome

Kingair
5 September 2013, 04:33 PM
Don't own one but I really like them

HAGOne

:cheers:

Bangel
5 September 2013, 04:49 PM
I can pretty safely say that I wouldn't spend that much on a watch!

Kingair
5 September 2013, 04:52 PM
Guess when I arrive at home with one I might have to fill in my divorce papers . . . :chuckle:

HAGOne

Chezza07
5 September 2013, 04:54 PM
I can pretty safely say that I haven't got that much money to spend on a watch:crying:

Rock
5 September 2013, 05:11 PM
What could possibly make a watch worth $690,000. ?
Even the willingness of someone to pay that only makes it worth that to that particular person.
I'm thinking "Emperors new clothes".

crowncollection
5 September 2013, 05:37 PM
1.2 million and 1.1 million these are worth saw them in Singapore 2 weeks ago. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/05/juraga8y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/05/yhy2emad.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/05/ta7ure8y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

Audemars Piguet
6 September 2013, 03:04 AM
I love RM watches.

stockae92
6 September 2013, 05:06 AM
you know for every watch they sell, $500k is going to Nadal's pocket .. LOL

mgent
6 September 2013, 05:43 AM
Better yet, $500k is going to his pocket whether they sell or not!

Even if I could, I'm not sure I would spend that on a watch... maybe if I collected vintage Patek's or something, but not a modern / new one.... That's a lot of coin even for the wealthy...

tavv160
6 September 2013, 05:58 AM
Better yet, $500k is going to his pocket whether they sell or not!

Even if I could, I'm not sure I would spend that on a watch... maybe if I collected vintage Patek's or something, but not a modern / new one.... That's a lot of coin even for the wealthy...

x2

If I had the money, it would go to a vintage PP or YG vintage Daytona (this one: http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/watches/rolex-an-extremely-attractive-and-probably-unique-5674529-details.aspx?from=salesummary&intObjectID=5674529&sid=19d149ab-5cc5-47f7-8b36-2fa4b79581b5)...
Or one of every type of Nautilus and RO :cheers:

TSW
6 September 2013, 06:53 AM
Richard milles are pretty awesome

To say the least!!

h999r
6 September 2013, 06:57 AM
Always has a different feeling everytime wearring this watch. Feeling expensive :)

tavv160
6 September 2013, 07:13 AM
Sylvester Stallone is also rocking one, but I guess he paid for it, cause he is also endorsed by only the ugliest watch brand known to mankind: http://www.bornrich.com/sylvester-stallone-montegrappa-present-chaos-automatic-analogue-watch-baselworld.html

Him with his RM:

77T
6 September 2013, 07:14 AM
Hmmm...it ought to go well with a $2mil. Ferrari Daytona :chuckle:

Sixshooter
7 September 2013, 01:19 PM
Not a RM fan personally. I can't understand a company demanding that kind of price when they have no history. Not taking away from the merits of the company, I'm just saying if I spend 6 digits on a watch its going to be a company that has been around a while! (PP, AP, VC, etc.) But from a business standpoint (not consumer) I wholeheartedly applaud them.

Maxy
7 September 2013, 01:29 PM
People criticize Richard Mille too much. Read his point of view at least..

Richard Mille: "In my career, I had become fed up with marketing obligations. I realized that the only way to do what I wanted to do was to launch my own brand, with no limits or constraints other than technical ones. The paradox I saw was that many watchmakers were giving themselves limits: their only dream was to do replicas of 18th- or 19th-century watches. Today, watches are made by machines, so I said to myself that if we have to use machines, let’s do contemporary watches. Yet I also wanted to use the best of the watch culture, which is to say, a lot of hand craftsmanship. I never wanted to impose a price limit on my developments; the prices are the results of my choices. I don’t give a damn if a movement takes four months to be assembled, because I’m not obsessed by volume. I release the 20 or 30 pieces, and of course they are very expensive.

I emphasize the modernity, but at the same time I respect the culture. All my models are hand-finished. Many companies make 18th-century types of watches, but manufactured by machines and finished by machines. My level of rejection is between 35 to 40 percent of the finished products. Finishing by hand makes the process much riskier."

TswaneNguni
7 September 2013, 01:29 PM

I can safely say that I couldn't spend that much on a watch !.:chuckle::chuckle:

Maxy
7 September 2013, 01:32 PM
NADAL's Tourbillon RM 27-01 is an exceptional creation, it pushes the concepts of lightness and strength to the ultimate extreme.

The caliber RM27-01 is a triumph of engineering and technology. Its complex, original architecture is the result of Richard Mille’s determination to create a movement held in total suspension in the heart of its case

http://richardmille.watchprosite.com/img/watchprosite/richardmille/33/scaled/richardmille_image.3157333.jpg

Sixshooter
7 September 2013, 01:59 PM
People criticize Richard Mille too much. Read his point of view at least..

I think the company deserves criticism. I am in no way saying that they aren't among the very best in the world. BUT, they have no pedigree, and as we all know that is worth quite a lot to most consumers. As I said before, I applaud what they do 100%. But a company can't come in competing against the old timers and expect to be be instant equals just because of the asking price. And that is not to say that they aren't technically better or more advanced than their competitors. I'm just saying, myself and other WIS that I personally know would rather have 500k in store credit at PP or ALS than RM anyway. Of course that is just a hypothetical scenario unfortunately!

Maxy
7 September 2013, 02:09 PM
But a company can't come in competing against the old timers and expect to be be instant equals just because of the asking price

If you ignore the fake history, A. Lange & Söhne actually started in 1994 and do they not command high prices? Are they not considered to be great automatic watches? Same with Glashütte Original ( again in 1994).

Also, the above $500k RM watches are just limited edition - 50 pieces.

I would rather consider watch to be expensive than adding gold or rare jewels and then increasing the price and calling it a million dollar watch.

Wacker23
7 September 2013, 02:53 PM
Real nice

Kingair
7 September 2013, 03:20 PM
Same with Glashütte Original ( again in 1994).

Exists a lot longer than 1994 but bought by Heinz Pfeiffer and he changed the name to Glashutte Original.

HAGWe

singe89
7 September 2013, 03:58 PM
I admire RM...they might lack history but they are in the forefront of technology and ingenuity. I wouldn't pay full retail price but I will have one or more in my collection. I really enjoy seeing the specialized technology that goes into the watches that Nadal and Bubba wear while playing their elite games.

singe89
7 September 2013, 04:00 PM
NADAL's Tourbillon RM 27-01 is an exceptional creation, it pushes the concepts of lightness and strength to the ultimate extreme.

The caliber RM27-01 is a triumph of engineering and technology. Its complex, original architecture is the result of Richard Mille’s determination to create a movement held in total suspension in the heart of its case

http://richardmille.watchprosite.com/img/watchprosite/richardmille/33/scaled/richardmille_image.3157333.jpg

The design, execution and fully suspended movement is amazing. :thumbsup:

mtrunner
7 September 2013, 09:24 PM
Honestly when it comes down to it NO watch, regardless of manufacturer, is really worth $690,000. Prices are set on what the market will bear. People are willing to pay these prices but it doesn't mean these watches are actually worth the price. $690,000 is a huge sum of money and if you put it into context it is kind of ridiculous that anyone would pay it. I mean for that amount of money I could buy a new house and have plenty of money to spare (well not in NYC but in most areas of the US). But that goes for any luxury item.

77T
7 September 2013, 10:35 PM
RM spends a lot in making the timepieces. That alone doesn't determine value.

His engineering is standing on the shoulders of preceding masters of horological creativeness and he has also pushed some edges of the envelope.

All told there seems to be no old inventory lying around so the price must be right in the sweet spot.

lland
7 September 2013, 11:33 PM
I think the company deserves criticism. I am in no way saying that they aren't among the very best in the world. BUT, they have no pedigree, and as we all know that is worth quite a lot to most consumers...

Tesla is doing a pretty good job with very little history.

LL

zeuloa
7 September 2013, 11:41 PM
Not a RM fan personally. I can't understand a company demanding that kind of price when they have no history. Not taking away from the merits of the company, I'm just saying if I spend 6 digits on a watch its going to be a company that has been around a while! (PP, AP, VC, etc.) But from a business standpoint (not consumer) I wholeheartedly applaud them.

I'm sure the people that spend $690k on a RM already have all the PP, AP, VC, etc they want...

Maxy
8 September 2013, 01:21 AM
The design, execution and fully suspended movement is amazing. :thumbsup:

Glad you could see this and appreciate. It really takes guts to make such a suspended movement and then let it display in very serious competitive sport like Tennis, US Open and then expect it to work without issues!

btw, it really looks awesome on Nadal's hand :dude:

http://blog.luxurybazaar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/RM-27-01-Nadal-Wrist.jpg

Maxy
8 September 2013, 01:31 AM
$690,000 is a huge sum of money and if you put it into context it is kind of ridiculous that anyone would pay it. I mean for that amount of money I could buy a new house and have plenty of money to spare

How funny it is to read this! I have been to other forums where they talk the same about Rolex forums.. how they spend $20k to $30K on watches which some people earn in half a year and they are so happy buying those $500 watches! Looks like Tables are turned! :twit:

No one is saying everyone needs to buy this $690K watch. It is just 50 pieces limited edition watch and Richard Mille said all his limited edition are sold very fast and the target for this watches could be people who own certainly multiple multi-million dollar homes.

If people starts complaining that this watch is expensive and you can get a house and thats why its ridiculous.. then there are other end of spectrum who'll they they can get a car(Honda, Toyota, Infiniti) for the amount of watches people buy here! Its the same cycle and same situation!

Wahlberg
8 September 2013, 01:55 AM
I think the company deserves criticism. I am in no way saying that they aren't among the very best in the world. BUT, they have no pedigree, and as we all know that is worth quite a lot to most consumers. As I said before, I applaud what they do 100%. But a company can't come in competing against the old timers and expect to be be instant equals just because of the asking price. And that is not to say that they aren't technically better or more advanced than their competitors. I'm just saying, myself and other WIS that I personally know would rather have 500k in store credit at PP or ALS than RM anyway. Of course that is just a hypothetical scenario unfortunately!

Funny how people can be obsessed with pedigree. Where did RM mention that he feels he's equal to AP/PP/...

Like someone else mentioned, what about Tesla or Fiskers. They are (and Fisker were) doing pretty good, they got something interesting to offer to this market and RM is an interesting brand.

GB-man
8 September 2013, 07:10 AM
I think RM are awesome watches and if they were within my current means, I would likely have one.

Bisquitlips
8 September 2013, 08:00 AM
690K???

Chicken feed! :chuckle::thumbsup:

mgent
11 September 2013, 04:03 AM
For me it has nothing to do with Pedigree, I actually think their watches are awesome, and would buy a Massa if I could... I just would have a hard time spending $670k on a sport watch!

The whole discussion of 'I can't believe someone pays X' happens at any level... There is never a financial justification for the spend on watches, it is just something I love and that's why i'm fine doing it... I know plenty of people with $5 or $6m in real estate, but fairly crappy cars, and people with $400 or $500k in cars with crappy watches, and then people with $100k in watches and a generic car - its not always about what you can, but what you want and like...

tavv160
11 September 2013, 05:24 AM
Hodinkee did an item:
http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/spotted-rafael-nadal-wearing-his-richard-mille-rm27-01-while-winning-the-us-open