PDA

View Full Version : Painting Hands...

Clay
14 August 2014, 04:42 PM
I seem to be seeing, more then ever before, watches with Hands that have been "Painted" to match the color of the Dial Markers…

I have also spoken to a number of watchmakers who are now offering this service…

I am the first to say that people should do with their watches what they like…:thumbsup:

But I am having a hard time deciding how I feel about this idea...:thinking::thinking::thinking:

~Artificially Faded Inserts…
~Painted Hands…
~Laser Case Alteration…

What's next...:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Are we headed down a bad path here…Or is this just the natural progression of the hobby...:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Vincent65
14 August 2014, 05:01 PM
It's just 'maintenance' to match hands to dial, by a [hopefully] skilled watchmaker/restorer.

I would not buy one, but I have no issue with it per se.

nsumner
14 August 2014, 09:50 PM
I had it done once and for me it truely depends on the circumstances.

I had sold a 16750 to a friend, who offered to sell it back, after he had gotten it wet in a salt water pool. The watch had a perfect matching dial and hand set. He sent it off for service, and when it returned it looked like this. The dial was fine after the water intrusion but the hands changed color and took on a greenish hue. I then sent it off to have the hands matched, knowing that if I ever sell, I would disclose to the new owner.

PoderEsBueno
14 August 2014, 09:56 PM
It is a thin line between maintenance and artificiality. I guess it's all depends in the situation. In that case the untouched pieces are getting more and more valuable imho.

bluemartinifan
14 August 2014, 09:59 PM
I have seen the same Clay - usually from more professional sellers on the forums.
I have no issue with the practice as long as it is disclosed by the seller. I don't believe I would buy the watch unless it had AMAZING other characteristics that could not be over looked (i.e unpolished) - then I would be in the tricky hand hunting mode.
IMO, beginning collectors are likely more willing to start the collection with a watch with "color matched" hands, as they are still learning the hobby. More experienced collectors have progressed from that point and are looking for all original - unless they are willing to hunt for a matching period correct hand set.

linesiders
14 August 2014, 10:02 PM
I am mixed, I would purchase with "color matched" hands if it was disclosed and there was an according adjustment in price - then I might keep looking for good replacement hands.

If the hands are really impossible to find - I'm looking for a 7016 set now - I might consider matching a set of hands if the only hands I have are rough and already lumed. Some times there is not much choice.

Or you could buy the version which has everything at 3x the price

77T
14 August 2014, 10:06 PM
The practice of tinting lume opens up the possible misrepresentation of originality. In Vintage transactions it is best to have the watch checked closely by an expert. Else inaccurate info from the seller could leave you in the lurch when you sell the watch later.

cajuntiger
14 August 2014, 10:08 PM
This is why I prefer to buy my vintage pieces from the original owners...and look for pieces that have not yet been restored. So far I have been very successful, it takes patience but in the end you know that you are getting a 100% genuine piece.

Dries
14 August 2014, 11:21 PM
I have seen the same Clay - usually from more professional sellers on the forums.
I have no issue with the practice as long as it is disclosed by the seller. I don't believe I would buy the watch unless it had AMAZING other characteristics that could not be over looked (i.e unpolished) - then I would be in the tricky hand hunting mode.
IMO, beginning collectors are likely more willing to start the collection with a watch with "color matched" hands, as they are still learning the hobby. More experienced collectors have progressed from that point and are looking for all original - unless they are willing to hunt for a matching period correct hand set.

Does it easy to categorize "color matched" hands from naked eye?

swish77
15 August 2014, 02:09 AM
I've got no problem with it as long as it's disclosed. I see it as similar to a vintage car that has a paint job. Some people are OK with it, others want originality even if that means badly faded paint. Problem is, some people might not disclose that a watch has tinted hands, and it's a lot harder to tell than a new paint job on a car. Personally, I'd avoid a watch with tinted hands, unless the rest of the watch was so nice I couldn't resist. But the first thing I'd do is try to track down a correct, original-tritium pair of hands that matched the dial.