PDA

View Full Version : People that wear their watch upside down

mikeceee
12 January 2015, 11:37 AM
Watching 60min and see this gentleman in a nice suit, looking dapper, speaking (somewhat) intelligently. Then I notice he has the watch under his wrist instead of on top of his wrist and all of a sudden I lost a lot of respect for what he was saying. Anyone know anyone like this? Do you think the same thing? It's similar to a clip on tie, with a polo shirt, and Jean shorts...

mikeceee
12 January 2015, 11:38 AM
9 times out of 10 it's also excessively loose. Like a bangle. I wish I didn't know what a bangle was.

elkaholic
12 January 2015, 11:47 AM
Don't know anyone personally who does this. There is a guy on some home remodeling show my wife watches that wears his Sub 16610 upside down, really loose and it drives me nuts.

Bruce Willis wears his watches upside down in his right arm, although not loose. He is left handed which is why he wears it on the R, although I've seen some shots of him wearing a Daytona, DJ and Explorer II on the right arm, right side up. So at least he feels the need to have the good stuff face up!

grrr
12 January 2015, 11:47 AM
Pics please

mikeceee
12 January 2015, 11:49 AM
If you've seen the show the missing the English cop (who takes advantage of an awful situation) wears his loose and upside down. It makes me giggle.

Anthon
12 January 2015, 11:50 AM
While at work I have worn certain watches upside down, just because it was more comfortable and less prone to scratching. But that was in really specific situations.

RRGHOST1
12 January 2015, 11:50 AM
Our drummer used to wear his watch like that so whilst he was playing he could glance at the time. I think it looks odd and would annoy me if I did it !

mikeceee
12 January 2015, 11:51 AM
Pics please

Wow, randomly one of the only pics from segment is exact one im talking about :cheers:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-obamacare-doesnt-do-60-minutes/

Heo2
12 January 2015, 11:52 AM
Do you mean upside down or wearing the watch on the inside of the wrist?

mikeceee
12 January 2015, 11:53 AM
Do you mean upside down or wearing the watch on the inside of the wrist?

I believe they are the same thing? Clasp on top of wrist watch on bottom of wrist (the palm side).

tkerrmd
12 January 2015, 11:55 AM
Our drummer used to wear his watch like that so whilst he was playing he could glance at the time!

I think this may be it, if he is sitting at a desk in front of a camera he may have his watch positioned so he can see the time without being obvious while on air

I try to give people with different styles and taste from my own the benefit of the doubt:cheers:

Heo2
12 January 2015, 11:56 AM
I believe they are the same thing? Clasp on top of wrist watch on bottom of wrist (the palm side).

Upside down would imply that the 3 o'clock position is towards the elbow instead of towards the fingers

tumbling_dice12
12 January 2015, 11:57 AM
It's not for me, but to each their own.

mikeceee
12 January 2015, 11:59 AM
I think this may be it, if he is sitting at a desk in front of a camera he may have his watch positioned so he can see the time without being obvious while on air

I try to give people with different styles and taste from my own the benefit of the doubt:cheers:

Oh. He was walking. Arms a flailing.

mikeceee
12 January 2015, 12:00 PM

Yes, whenever I see someone with shoes on the wrong feet I just assume they woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

tkerrmd
12 January 2015, 12:00 PM
Upside down would imply that the 3 o'clock position is towards the elbow instead of towards the fingers

I think he means clasp on top (dorsal) so 9 would be closest to elbow (proximal) at least that would make sense:cheers:

Heo2
12 January 2015, 12:10 PM
I think he means clasp on top (dorsal) so 9 would be closest to elbow (proximal) at least that would make sense:cheers:

So the gentleman from :60 was wearing his watch on the inside of the wrist. Who knows? Perhaps he's a former military diver and never dropped the habit.

returntorolex
12 January 2015, 12:11 PM
I worked with a guy in the late 80s (financial services) who wore his YG DD that way....not super loose, but seeing that hidden clasp on top was pretty cool.

GradyPhilpott
12 January 2015, 12:14 PM
Then I notice he has the watch under his wrist instead of on top of his wrist and all of a sudden I lost a lot of respect for what he was saying.

Man, you are really judgemental.

Wearing the watch in that manner was popular among bomber pilots during WWII, who could read their watches without removing their left hand from the yoke. Among that generation after the war, wearing ones watch in that manner was more common than it is today.

GB-man
12 January 2015, 12:15 PM
I have worn my rolex upside down when on NATO only. Usually my intention was to hide it from annoying people or strangers, which is why it was on NATO to begin with...

drakulie
12 January 2015, 12:18 PM
I wear my watch on my right wrist, even though I am not left handed. Have been doing this since the first time I put a watch on. Just feels normal to me. Why care so much how someone chooses to wear their watch?

fullcourt
12 January 2015, 12:40 PM
not for me but who really cares? i guess someone, enuf to start this thread.

lol

Flintstone
12 January 2015, 12:48 PM
wow…I wonder how much respect you lose for him if he wore his underwear inside out.

Runnin' Rebel
12 January 2015, 12:54 PM

Wearing the watch in that manner was popular among bomber pilots during WWII, who could read their watches without removing their left hand from the yoke. Among that generation after the war, wearing ones watch in that manner was more common than it is today.

I think that's the reason my dad wore it that way when he flew his F4 fighter during the Vietnam conflict. And after he retired he still did it.

RIP Dad

dddrees
12 January 2015, 12:55 PM

My Dad wasn't a pilot or even in WWII, but he was close in age to this generation and he always wore his watch that way. He was respected by many of his peers and friends.

I guess they must have totally missed the fact as to how he wore his watch.:twit:

crowncollection
12 January 2015, 12:58 PM
I do not but my now passed grandfather did as long as I remember

dshin525
12 January 2015, 01:17 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-c6Mi1a-TNx4/T5CXTx8RzqI/AAAAAAAAPOM/2QQJQLXCQv4/s1600/Dalai-Lama-Rolex-Day-Date-with-Prince-Charles.jpg

Does the op not respect what the Dali Lama says anymore??

He's wearing this model btw;
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Q00ul8jA8P0/TE83xBl8oNI/AAAAAAAAAIA/cA6QOnOetTA/s1600/Rolex-Day-Date-with-Blue-Lapis-Lazuli-dial-18238.jpg

growing up I thought that was a woman's way of wearing a watch because my mom always wore it that way. But from a ergonomic/efficiency perspective, it does make sense.

My opinion is I could care less his people wear it...it doesn't bother me.

GB-man
12 January 2015, 01:21 PM
The Dali lama has excellent taste :cheers:

Dan Pierce
12 January 2015, 01:31 PM
The owner should wear their watch any way they damn well please. Can't think of any reason to feel less of them
dP

redsubby
12 January 2015, 01:40 PM
Guy next to me wears his watch this way and super loose, not my thing but I don't disrespect someone because of this.

brettpaul
12 January 2015, 01:46 PM
Pilots also wear their watches inside on their wrists to read while flying

Choo Yao Chuen
12 January 2015, 01:46 PM
I have friends who wear watches which show the wrong time.....

Andad
12 January 2015, 01:49 PM
Dan,

I just swapped mine round - looks cool and I can look at it while driving home.:thumbsup:

Go NATO!!:thumbsup:

Rogdogg
12 January 2015, 01:54 PM
So the gentleman from :60 was wearing his watch on the inside of the wrist. Who knows? Perhaps he's a former military diver and never dropped the habit.

How a person wears their watch is completely up to them if you ask me, but as a matter of interest, are military divers taught to wear their watches on the inside of their wrists? What is the thinking behind this?

yahoo_mks
12 January 2015, 01:54 PM
i do not but my now passed grandfather did as long as i remember

+1

DoraTheExplorerII
12 January 2015, 01:59 PM
From .hodinkee

We are not exactly sure what watch President Carter wore, but we do know he wore and continues to wear his watches with the head on the inside of his wrist and the buckle on the outside of his wrist. Certain people of his generation wear watches that way and reasoning I have heard includes that it is easier to read the time when in meetings or speaking publicly without others knowing the time is being checked. In addition, some individuals wore/wear watches that way to protect the crystal from being scratched.

I know some people didn't/don't respect him at all, but sometimes wearing a watch in this matter makes sense to me.

Scholar
12 January 2015, 02:00 PM
http://www.hautetime.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Governor-Reagan-rolex-datejust-SS1.jpg

Lol-x
12 January 2015, 02:05 PM
It is the most convenient way to look at your clasp, its got that much going for it :banghead: :twit: :lol:

STEELINOX
12 January 2015, 02:06 PM
Its also ergonomically preferred to wear "upside down" as it is a natural movement to turn the wrist from its underside towards the eye. Try it, ya might likit...

Your vanity will guide you otherwise sorta like "ymmv"...

DCheeta
12 January 2015, 02:19 PM
In my band days, I used to wear my watches that way while playing (bass) so I could see the time.

The OP may respect me less because of that, I don't mind.

Catyack
12 January 2015, 02:21 PM
Watching 60min and see this gentleman in a nice suit, looking dapper, speaking (somewhat) intelligently. Then I notice he has the watch under his wrist instead of on top of his wrist and all of a sudden I lost a lot of respect for what he was saying. Anyone know anyone like this? Do you think the same thing? It's similar to a clip on tie, with a polo shirt, and Jean shorts...

I used to respect Gemini and Apollo astronauts, doing their spacewalks and lunar surface EVAs. But when I saw them wearing their Speedmaster Pros kind of on the inside of wrist/side of forearm over their spacesuits I couldn't help but think "Man, that's super-douchy, like wearing socks with sandals". Needless to say, total loss of respect.

Baco Noir
12 January 2015, 02:32 PM
I wore mine that way in the 70s to reduce banging it on things as I moved around and I still know people who wear them that way. If we all did the same thing, life would be pretty damn boring.

Sent from my iPad (so I blame autocorrect for the spellin' errs)

STEELINOX
12 January 2015, 02:42 PM
I used to respect Gemini and Apollo astronauts, doing their spacewalks and lunar surface EVAs. But when I saw them wearing their Speedmaster Pros kind of on the inside of wrist/side of forearm over their spacesuits I couldn't help but think "Man, that's super-douchy, like wearing socks with sandals". Needless to say, total loss of respect.

[edited for content] :thinking:

Catyack
12 January 2015, 02:45 PM
You tread on hallowed ground around here, I suggest you chose your words carefully from here on out, another words, take caution :thinking:

Why, do that many people wear socks with sandals? I had no idea.

mikeceee
12 January 2015, 02:59 PM

I can be sometimes. Just seeing if I'm the only one :thinking:

It wasn't intentional. I'm cognizant of my change in opinion yet it still happened. Funny how perception changes everything. :dude:

mikeceee
12 January 2015, 03:06 PM
Oh btw ultimate thread backfire but it's ok. I'm glad the sentiment around here is generally good and most members aren't judgemental :cheers:

Catyack
12 January 2015, 03:18 PM
I can be sometimes. Just seeing if I'm the only one :thinking:

It wasn't intentional. I'm cognizant of my change in opinion yet it still happened. Funny how perception changes everything. :dude:

Would your opinion of/level of respect for someone change if that person pulled out a pocket watch? If so, would it rise or fall, and to what degree?

slasherj
12 January 2015, 03:24 PM
The Dali Lama wears a Rolex??

dshin525
12 January 2015, 03:29 PM
The Dali Lama wears a Rolex??
Yep. Here's a pic with a Dj:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Cv-0TBEhWVE/SFV7ZBfi5VI/AAAAAAAACBo/bxpG5JnXzag/s800/DaliLamaRolex.jpg

mikeceee
12 January 2015, 03:50 PM
Would your opinion of/level of respect for someone change if that person pulled out a pocket watch? If so, would it rise or fall, and to what degree?

I doubt it, unless it were a Wednesday. Then possibly, depending on his/her method of wearing it. In a pocket, I'll be ok. On a belt tied around their waist i might, at approx 52 degrees. Positive slope.

mikeceee
12 January 2015, 03:51 PM
Yep. Here's a pic with a Dj:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Cv-0TBEhWVE/SFV7ZBfi5VI/AAAAAAAACBo/bxpG5JnXzag/s800/DaliLamaRolex.jpg

Dude Dali lama gets a pass. He's on a different plane of reality. Time is different when you're that in touch.

mikeceee
12 January 2015, 03:55 PM

Woah woah. Let's back up. Space walk... That's Hollywood hocus pocus. Certainly explains the watch conundrum.

mikeceee
12 January 2015, 03:57 PM
My sarcasm is so dry it's unfunny. Anyway I appreciate everyone's opinion in this thread. Thank god I am the minority when it comes to being judgemental. Otherwise my confidence would be diminished, I might even start wearing my watch on the other side just so You all like me.

rolex_DateJust
12 January 2015, 04:08 PM
This was 2 years ago when I had to get my yearly shots at the hospital I work at now.... I always wear my watch "normal" but every once in a while (especially on a NATO) I wear it upside down. It's kinda comfy depending on what you're doing

My subC on a nato "upside down"

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff485/rolex_DateJust/99022041-B49D-4AE6-8ECF-B20BDC704FB6.jpg (http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/rolex_DateJust/media/99022041-B49D-4AE6-8ECF-B20BDC704FB6.jpg.html)

Fleetlord
12 January 2015, 04:12 PM

Huh?:thinking:

Bangel
12 January 2015, 04:45 PM
How about this then? :rofl:

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah149/MaisyBear3/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps25a7b036.jpg[/URL]

Ruud Van Driver
12 January 2015, 05:39 PM
I cannot believe that anyone can seriously lose respect for another just because he has the dial of his watch on the inside of his wrist. That is judgemental to the point of defying logic. He could wear it around his head for all I care, as long as he's comfortable and not bothering anyone, does it really matter?

Blubaru
12 January 2015, 05:43 PM
I wear certain watches upside down in order to protect them.

also this guy

http://i.imgur.com/v5yanaD.jpg?1

Andad
12 January 2015, 06:17 PM
Why, do that many people wear socks with sandals? I had no idea.

:chuckle::chuckle:

Not everyone has our sense of humour C.

toneafficianado
12 January 2015, 06:32 PM
BB King , legendary blues guitarist, is often photographed with his gold Rolex upside down. I reckon it's so he can see the time while playing/performing without it being the least but obvious.
Whenever I've flipped my watch around I find it too easy to hit it against things but then I don't often wear tailored suits like BB!

Vincent65
12 January 2015, 06:49 PM
Maybe some people wear their watches this way so that when they do a face-palm at threads like this, they can still read the time.

AK797
12 January 2015, 09:48 PM
My mum wears hers upside down.

Sunny Arizona
12 January 2015, 10:00 PM
9 times out of 10 it's also excessively loose. Like a bangle. I wish I didn't know what a bangle was.

In the Army it was quite common to wear watch in this manner as it is more tactically sound.

datejusting
12 January 2015, 10:02 PM

That's the way I remember it, was very popular in the 50's. A lot of guys wore their watch on the bottom of their wrist as it was easier to see time when holding the steering wheel while driving.

Limestonedan
12 January 2015, 10:33 PM
Fairly new here. I mirror some of the things said already. My WWII era father-in-law always wore his watches, Rolex, IWC's etc., under his wrist. His reason was not to damage the crystal while engaged in activities like one-design sailboat racing etc. Whether in a tux or polo shirt, shorts and top-spiders I never saw him wear them any other way. I've seen others of that generation doing the same..

KBM
12 January 2015, 10:46 PM
Mike Ross on Suits does that too.

MonBK
12 January 2015, 11:04 PM
This has to be one of the worlds greatest problems right now.

Thank you OP for starting this very important thread.

What can we as a unified Rolex forum do to stop this madness?

Is there a way we can somehow have him shipped off and locked up at Guantanamo?

Perhaps send the D. Lama that way as well?

Leodagan
12 January 2015, 11:09 PM
When I was in the army I Wore my watch upside down.

mjclark32
12 January 2015, 11:30 PM
This has to be one of the worlds greatest problems right now.

Thank you OP for starting this very important thread.

What can we as a unified Rolex forum do to stop this madness?

Is there a way we can somehow have him shipped off and locked up at Guantanamo?

Perhaps send the D. Lama that way as well?

:lol::lol:

dysondiver
12 January 2015, 11:40 PM
i do it ,,, on both counts ,,, loose and face in .

i couldnt care less if it bothers anyone ,,, as for loss of respect ,
if all my credibility comes from my watch , im in the wrong place dealing with the wrong people.
i wear it that way to stop it getting beaten to death ,,, in a tight spot how often do you bang the inside of your wrist. i also find that if you prefer a looser strap then the natural position for the balance of a watch is face down ,,, try it ,.. and last but not least , the crown doesnt dig into the back of your hand , again , more relevant if you wear a watch loose.
if its a really tight spot its in my pocket anyway.
but to each their own ,, i

lipjin
12 January 2015, 11:43 PM
It's not safe to wear a rolex that way. You might compromise the precise regulation and the watch will run faster or slower over time depending. It might also compromise the water resistance of the watch given more sweat accumulates around the underside of your wrist.

dysondiver
12 January 2015, 11:49 PM
infact , just thinking about it , i made a stainless plate more of a u shape so i can wear my dive computer / breather controller at the half way point , on the thin edge of my wrist , ie
top is 12 bottom is 6 ,,, i wear my computers at 3 ,,,, its so good its where every watch should be worn..... again , try it

Dan Pierce
12 January 2015, 11:49 PM
My sarcasm is so dry it's unfunny. Anyway I appreciate everyone's opinion in this thread. Thank god I am the minority when it comes to being judgemental. Otherwise my confidence would be diminished, I might even start wearing my watch on the other side just so You all like me.

Oh, I think it could take a bit more than that.
dP

BZA
13 January 2015, 12:37 AM
As others have said, this way of wearing a watch comes sometimes from previous operational use in military service. And you just get used to it.

Mystro
13 January 2015, 12:45 AM
Like wearing tennis sneakers with a tuxedo. Some may do it and they may be good in their craft but it doesn't make the look appealing to me or make their fashion faux pas valid.

Lets look at the manufactures and designers intended use for a baseline interpretation on how to wear a wrist watch.
Has anyone seen a advertisment or factory picture by any of the Swiss watch companies with their watch worn upside down on the wrist???.

Limestonedan
13 January 2015, 12:51 AM
Andy Rooney..

Nycturbovr6
13 January 2015, 12:56 AM
I'm Not a fan of wearing a watch like that but who cares what others do

ronricks
13 January 2015, 01:05 AM
lots of Politicians do this it is an easy way to sneak a peek at how long you have been speaking without alerting the audience to the fact.

shay2nak
13 January 2015, 01:30 AM
it's annoying

Johny
13 January 2015, 01:39 AM
Oh, I think it could take a bit more than that.
dP

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::thumbsup:

rollerball
13 January 2015, 01:41 AM
I would think that they like Rolex but it would probably be too flashy wearing on top of the wrist especially for head of states.