PDA

View Full Version : 'WAB" What does this mean?

FACSman
22 May 2015, 01:30 AM
I've recently seen a couple of bracelet clasps with "WAB" in the same place usually populated by the traditional Rolex Coronet; even slightly extending past the edge of the clasp.

The bracelets appear quite old; perhaps from the 40's-50's...

Any idea what this means?

petereoin
22 May 2015, 02:27 AM
Assume that the bracelet was "Made in England" W A B = Watch Accessories Birmingham

FACSman
22 May 2015, 03:33 AM
ty = Here's a pic...

Paul
22 May 2015, 05:50 AM
A VRF member called Mike posted some bracelet history a few years back.

Mike tells us that WAB (Watch Accessories Birmingham) was owned by Oscar Winter, a friend of Hans Wilsdorf.
The Clewco bracelets that bare also sometimes seen on early Rolex watches also originated from Birmingham.
"Edward Davies t/a E J Clewley & Co Jewellers", Vyse Street Birmingham.

As I understand it, Rolex sourced bracelets from outside Switzerland to get around tariffs that were levied on fully complete watches.
This is where C&I, WAB, Clewco, Gay frères, the Mexican Rolex bracelets (and other non-Swiss made items) fit in.
Heads only were shipped to distributors outside Switzerland - perhaps with hang tags and chronometer certificates where applicable I guess.
AD's added bracelets and boxes and even papers - back in the handwritten days anyway - at the point of sale .

The same approach was used for decades in the motor industry. Almost all components needed for a new car were shipped in "CKD" - Completely knocked down[I] form.
The cars were then assembled upon arrival at the country of final sale, with a few locally made components added.
So the manufacture was shipping [I]car parts rather than cars and could escape paying tariffs.

That's a general overview only but it's my understanding of why the quintessential Swiss watch ended up with non-Swiss bits added on :cheers:

brandrea
22 May 2015, 05:53 AM
Never ceases to amaze me the information from our members ^^^ :clap:

Paul
22 May 2015, 06:02 AM
ty = Here's a pic...

I now see the OP's pic of the WAB branded clasp - a nice piece of old bracelet history - cool.
I'm thinking you may have a standard WAB item there rather than a bracelet specifically intended for use with a Rolex watch.
That said, it's quite possible of course that such a bracelet may have been sold with an early Rolex if that's what the customer opted for.

I have WAB bracelets with the usual Rolex Coronet on the clasp - they are nicely made items and certainly Rolex quality :thumbsup:

R.W.T.
22 May 2015, 06:49 AM
I think that is all true excepting G and F who if I'm not mistaken actually were the constructors of the factory supplied Rolex bands simply signed Rolex.

I also believe that Rolex bought G and F and that is now the bracelet end of their company.

I could be wrong...that was what I have understood.

Frosty
22 May 2015, 07:06 AM
Never ceases to amaze me the information from our members ^^^ :clap:

X2 :cheers:

FACSman
22 May 2015, 07:21 AM
I now see the OP's pic of the WAB branded clasp - a nice piece of old bracelet history - cool.
I'm thinking you may have a standard WAB item there rather than a bracelet specifically intended for use with a Rolex watch.
That said, it's quite possible of course that such a bracelet may have been sold with an early Rolex if that's what the customer opted for.

I have WAB bracelets with the usual Rolex Coronet on the clasp - they are nicely made items and certainly Rolex quality :thumbsup:

Paul, thanks for the info.

Here's some more pics of the bracelet\clasp in question; I see characters of R.D. (Registered Design?) followed by 874089. Does this help in any way?

watchcrank
22 May 2015, 08:18 AM
Great information, thanks all.