PDA

View Full Version : Help on 16800 Sub

Oranga
31 July 2015, 03:33 AM
Hi all, I am seriously contemplating my first Rolex purchase - a birth year (1986) Submariner, ref. 16800.

I came across this example for sale and wanted to know what the experts thought:

https://www.bobswatches.com/used-rolex/black-rolex-submariner-16800-black-dial.html

The price seems fair, and I'm not worried about authenticity as i've seen other forum members vouch for Bobswatches.com. They said they also service their watches when they purchase them. I suppose my main concern is whether or not its been polished. Any thoughts? Anything else I should look for?

Thanks in advance!

007Sub
31 July 2015, 01:47 PM
Hi all, I am seriously contemplating my first Rolex purchase - a birth year (1986) Submariner, ref. 16800.

I came across this example for sale and wanted to know what the experts thought:

https://www.bobswatches.com/used-rolex/black-rolex-submariner-16800-black-dial.html

The price seems fair, and I'm not worried about authenticity as i've seen other forum members vouch for Bobswatches.com. They said they also service their watches when they purchase them. I suppose my main concern is whether or not its been polished. Any thoughts? Anything else I should look for?

Thanks in advance!

Its seen a polish. Case is still pretty thick though.

swish77
31 July 2015, 02:10 PM
Looks like the hands have been changed. They don't match the tritium patina on the dial hour markers. That would bug me.

fusionstorm
31 July 2015, 04:16 PM
For not much more, you should be able to find an original full set in good condition. I'd be patient. 16800s with the metal surrounds aren't nearly as popular as their non-surround brethren.

sdwtchlvr
31 July 2015, 04:28 PM
The lugs are fine but have been polished. Of more concern would be the excessive bracelet wear, over polished bezel and hands have been replaced. The bracelet would bug me.

Oranga
1 August 2015, 05:42 AM
Wow thanks for the insight, knew I came to the right place! I was wondering if the bezel had been polished but couldn't tell from the pictures. Any tips on what to look for there?

sctp39
1 August 2015, 06:16 AM
Looks like the hands have been changed. They don't match the tritium patina on the dial hour markers. That would bug me.
:agree: Dealbreaker for me.

azguy
1 August 2015, 06:36 AM
nah, you want patina'd hands and I would search with one without wg surrounds on the hour plots...ie...matte dial...

Psmith
1 August 2015, 07:04 AM
Hold out for a matte dial - much nicer imho.

J!m
1 August 2015, 08:32 AM
Or maybe the more rare 168000. Not sure the year but it was only available a coupe months. From a colectabity standpoint, if that was the right year for you, that would be what I would be looking for...

My two cents (plus tax).

dysondiver
1 August 2015, 08:44 AM
Hold out for a matte dial - much nicer imho.

x2

Toaster
1 August 2015, 12:57 PM
is the crown on the clasp completely polished out?

Oranga
18 August 2015, 07:13 AM
Thanks to everyone for opening my eyes - i've passed on that watch.

Now for a similar question - what are everyone's thoughts on this listing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-16800-Vintage-Watch-Stainless-Steel-Transitional-Submariner-Men-Black-80s-/171842946661?autorefresh=true

I am a little wary of the seller as they have no references on here, but they do have strong eBay references. Thoughts on the watch and/or seller?

Tools
18 August 2015, 11:36 AM
If you want to post links to watches from ebay etc., that you want looked at use the Watch Out Boards. :cheers: