PDA

View Full Version : rolex "mandatory" engraving for ceramic daytonas?

yoda888
12 October 2016, 07:39 AM
I just got back from a trip out to the NYC. While there, I visited my "non local" AD whom I have relationship with.

I was talking to my rep about the waiting list for the ceramic daytonas, and she mentioned that it's about 300 long. But, they get a fair amount of deliveries that the list moves. She mentioned they get basically 1 per week which I thought was incredible considering that some ADs might get 1 a month and most probably get less then that. (I have no reason to NOT believe her in regards to the delivery frequencies as I'm sure they're probably one of the bigger ADs in NYC)

What blew my mind away was that she mentioned that Rolex is "requiring" that all customers have their Daytonas engraved to prevent them from flipping the watches. I'm not sure how true this is. Has anyone else heard this? Seems like crap to me since it's my watch and I can do anything I want with it if I was to buy it (no intentions to flip it at all). :thinking: I didn't "argue/debate" this point with her as I'll deal with it when they get to my name on the list.

Juantxo
12 October 2016, 07:41 AM
Such mendacity. Absolutely false. :thumbsdow

JLM3
12 October 2016, 07:48 AM
Strictly the AD's policy and not Rolex's .

subtona
12 October 2016, 08:09 AM

Well said. :cheers:

That would no longer be an AD I would deal with.

It's just a watch... Some folks treat them as if they are the mona lisa.
So ridiculous.

bmpregler
12 October 2016, 08:09 AM
Totally Laughable. I would never buy from a source trying to "require" that.

No one is telling me what to do with my property.

KenNethcole
12 October 2016, 08:12 AM
Ask Rolex and see what they have to say about "their engraving policy".

GoingPlaces
12 October 2016, 08:16 AM
Who are these AD's?

yoda888
12 October 2016, 08:17 AM
Yes it all seems strange to me. This AD is legitimate and I see no reason for them to "lie" to me like that. Seems weird. Just wondering if anyone else had heard/experienced this.

We shall see what happens when I'm called about my daytona. Won't be for awhile as I got to the party late =|

locutus49
12 October 2016, 08:23 AM
Ridiculous. You are being lied to.

Corsair66
12 October 2016, 08:29 AM
Absolutely ridiculous! Name the lying AD...

d1ce
12 October 2016, 08:40 AM
First time I get told what to do, when spending MY money from which THEY make a living. What you have been told is, politely spoken, pure nonsense and, more accurately spoken, a deliberate lie with potential economic consequences for them, because you could sue them for not being able to flip your watch a market value without that engramm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GolfPunk
12 October 2016, 08:43 AM
Absolute BS

enjoythemusic
12 October 2016, 08:46 AM
Name and shame AD please.

Tools
12 October 2016, 08:48 AM
Rolex gets paid when the Dealer gets the watch. They don't get another cent when it gets sold and don't really care who it gets sold to, or if it gets re-sold a hundred times.

The idea that Rolex would be involved in a "required engraving" scheme for a single model of watch seems laughable.

Of course, I think that flippers should be tarred and feathered, but nobody listens to me about it.. :cheers:

mtgjr
12 October 2016, 08:50 AM
Utter nonsense. Maybe the AD concocted the story in order to deter would-be flippers from even asking to have their names added to the list. Not that that makes it right. Bottom line, someone is being lied to (hope it's not us).

77T
12 October 2016, 09:02 AM
Yes it all seems strange to me. This AD is legitimate and I see no reason for them to "lie" to me like that. Seems weird. Just wondering if anyone else had heard/experienced this.

We shall see what happens when I'm called about my daytona. Won't be for awhile as I got to the party late =|

I differ on the use of the word legitimate when I hear such false info. When they said this to you, if they cited Rolex as the source, they were untruthful.

But if you wish to deal with them under such a claim as this, it is your prerogative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4vCoupe
12 October 2016, 09:31 AM
I was also told this by an AD a few months ago. On top of the ridiculous engraving thing they said that their "system " would not even allow them to sell me the Daytona because I hadn't previously purchased a Rolex from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

japenney
12 October 2016, 09:39 AM
I can understand not selling a Daytona to someone who has not previously purchased a rolex from a particular AD. Same reason why some ADs are asking for deposits. It weeds out the people who are calling multiple ADs and fishing. Lets be real, there is a lot of demand for the watch and numbers on lists have to be reduced somehow in the early months/years. Obviously ADs are going to prioritize return customers and VIPs. Its just good business.

Gaijin
12 October 2016, 09:41 AM
She threw Rolex under the bus. That is an in house policy. My old AD required the same during the last SS craze when I bought mine. They would not let me leave the store without engraving something, anything on the case back. I'd been waiting for two years so I relented and put my initials on the back.

Painful. Like spray painting a smile on the Mona Lisa.

drjohngobef
12 October 2016, 09:49 AM
No engraving on the one on my wrist, and I bought direct from my AD.

tfduff723
12 October 2016, 09:54 AM
It's 100% true.

When your watch comes in please make sure the AD uses a nice script so that tfd723 is clearly visible.

Then pm me.

enjoythemusic
12 October 2016, 10:11 AM
It's 100% true.
When your watch comes in please make sure the AD uses a nice script so that tfd723 is clearly visible.
Then pm me.

:clap: :rofl: :cheers:

Well played! Play on playa. :smokin:

watchwatcher
12 October 2016, 10:20 AM
:bullshit:

AK797
12 October 2016, 11:00 AM
Folks, it is true, I am afraid... you have to get a tattoo of the serial number on your arm as well.

Ragna
12 October 2016, 11:10 AM
Insufficient supply to meet demand can cause speculation (Buy/Sell) and all kinds of weird things.

very disingenuous

Ruud Van Driver
12 October 2016, 11:21 AM
Sounds like the sort of BS that Tourneau would come out with :thumbsdow

Hairdude1
12 October 2016, 11:23 AM
I have heard that if an employee purchases a watch at cost, it is on the case back.

Investr
12 October 2016, 11:28 AM
I was told the exact same thing by Lee Michael's Jewelers in Baton Rouge. They are a pretty big outfit, and they told me it was mandatory and complimentary......

42mm Scud Missile
12 October 2016, 11:30 AM
All that Rolex requires is that the plastics are removed from the Daytona after purchase.

Muzz
12 October 2016, 11:42 AM
All that Rolex requires is that the plastics are removed from the Daytona after purchase.

That is untrue too.

texex91
12 October 2016, 11:46 AM
:chuckle:

Ah the AD BS games are so alive and well...

DG123
12 October 2016, 11:47 AM
Is there an extra charge for the engraving ?

bmrisko
12 October 2016, 11:49 AM
I have heard that if an employee purchases a watch at cost, it is on the case back.

Definitely not true...

EDIT: Apologies, maybe for an employee, but definitely not true for a non-employee who purchases at cost.

CashGap
12 October 2016, 12:53 PM

Lol.

And not even that, but some people get fished in.

Not you I hope!!!

No SUBctitute
12 October 2016, 01:48 PM
How does mandatory engraving benefit the AD? Are they trying to drive away resellers and cater only to "real" customers from whom they might get repeat business? Isn't a flipper/reseller just as likely (or even more likely) to give the AD repeat business? Insanity.....

Vaxe
12 October 2016, 02:00 PM
If the engraving is professionally done and complimentary, I'd be ok with it. You can always replace the case back.

If the AD is mandating the same policy to everyone, then it's just their policy. If it's customer specific, then I'd be weary.

JackDFD
12 October 2016, 02:06 PM
I've seen some listed at 50% over MSRP. I hope never to be taken like that.

RedCarrot
12 October 2016, 02:57 PM
Of course, I think that flippers should be tarred and feathered, but nobody listens to me about it.. :cheers:

Oh I agree wholeheartedly and you def have my ears :cheers:

nobbylon
12 October 2016, 03:48 PM
Why blame flippers? If people are daft enough to pay over the odds you should be blaming them for any of the BS that goes on. I say good luck to anyone who suckers anyone into paying stupid money for the latest fad. As for AD's imposing conditions of purchase, they should be struck off Rolex's list of AD's but as someone else says, why would they care as they've already been paid. The same situation arises with special edition cars. Speculators move in, people become avaricious thinking there's easy money and all of a sudden prices become crazy.

SC11
12 October 2016, 04:32 PM

Definitely not true, my AD handed me my Daytona like this

Oyster99
12 October 2016, 05:27 PM
Hilarious. Thanks for making me laugh this early morning. Only thing they force you to do is hand over the cash/card/wire the €€££¥¥$$ nothing else. Ofcourse only do such thing after recieving the diet coke!!! :rofl:

Oyster99
12 October 2016, 05:29 PM

Let's be real. This is the best way to recieve a brand new Rolex! :thumbsup::chuckle:

padi56
12 October 2016, 05:39 PM
I just got back from a trip out to the NYC. While there, I visited my "non local" AD whom I have relationship with.

I was talking to my rep about the waiting list for the ceramic daytonas, and she mentioned that it's about 300 long. But, they get a fair amount of deliveries that the list moves. She mentioned they get basically 1 per week which I thought was incredible considering that some ADs might get 1 a month and most probably get less then that. (I have no reason to NOT believe her in regards to the delivery frequencies as I'm sure they're probably one of the bigger ADs in NYC)

What blew my mind away was that she mentioned that Rolex is "requiring" that all customers have their Daytonas engraved to prevent them from flipping the watches. I'm not sure how true this is. Has anyone else heard this? Seems like crap to me since it's my watch and I can do anything I want with it if I was to buy it (no intentions to flip it at all). :thinking: I didn't "argue/debate" this point with her as I'll deal with it when they get to my name on the list.

More internet hype to make the so called new Daytona must have list even longer. And if I remember the same story was going around the net when they launched the original in-house Daytona way back in 2000.

Evad3
12 October 2016, 06:43 PM
I wouldn't buy out of principle tbh

crowncollection
12 October 2016, 06:57 PM
I would go elsewhere, I don't like engraving so it would not buy. The ad mY have that Policy but it not a Rolex policy IMHO

PatrickJ
12 October 2016, 07:11 PM
Lol

bayerische
12 October 2016, 07:16 PM
Wonderful nonsense.

Brunik
12 October 2016, 07:23 PM
Still waiting "the call" from AD... let´s see what strange thing they will ask to me...

orlandoboom
12 October 2016, 07:26 PM
At this point if the AD sold it to me at close or near SRP, and said I needed to engrave the caseback, I would.

I would then send it to Rolex and pay for a new caseback.

I'll play the silly game for this one.

fskywalker
12 October 2016, 07:28 PM
Folks, it is true, I am afraid... you have to get a tattoo of the serial number on your arm as well.

:lol:

bayerische
12 October 2016, 07:31 PM
At this point if the AD sold it to me at close or near SRP, and said I needed to engrave the caseback, I would.

I would then send it to Rolex and pay for a new caseback.

I'll play the silly game for this one.

Wow.

I guess you really want it bad...

fishingbear
12 October 2016, 08:17 PM
Ah the AD BS games are so alive and well...

:agree:

orlandoboom
12 October 2016, 08:24 PM
Wow.

I guess you really want it bad...

Sadly, yes.

I agree that as a matter of principle, many AD practices can be questionable, and your dollar can go to a more deserving AD.

However, we can maybe agree that this is one of the lesser infuriating things we have heard from an AD. :chuckle:

Kippers
12 October 2016, 10:14 PM
Call Rolex and see why they say. Report the AD

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

beshannon
12 October 2016, 10:31 PM
Rolex has already sold the watch and could not care less about its ongoing ownership

stylinleems
12 October 2016, 10:49 PM

I hope mine gets delivered like this; factory fresh! :thumbsup:

WAK4
12 October 2016, 10:59 PM
I was talking to my rep about the waiting list for the ceramic daytonas, and she mentioned that it's about 300 long. But, they get a fair amount of deliveries that the list moves. She mentioned they get basically 1 per week

Well, 1 per week seems like a pretty good rate, but I bet the engraving thing also helps that list move because buyers refuse to buy with it engraved. I'd probably pass myself. :cheers:

the_natural
12 October 2016, 11:08 PM

Awesome, now that's as it should be.

Also, is 8k GBP right?? 'Cause if so, I want to buy one over there...

GolfPunk
12 October 2016, 11:34 PM
More internet hype to make the so called new Daytona must have list even longer. And if I remember the same story was going around the net when they launched the original in-house Daytona way back in 2000.

It's not a 'so called new daytona' it's a 'new daytona'..the changes may be small but the changes make an enormous difference to the practicality and look of the daytona.

The 4130 movement is perfect so did not need replacing. The case size is perfect, so did not need changing, the ceramic bezel mas very important to me due to legibility of SS bezels and the black paint coming out of the engravings, plus every time it's polished some of the depth of engravings is diminished. The new bezel takes all these problems away, and it looks amazing too.

Evad3
12 October 2016, 11:35 PM

£8,250 is Daytona C retail price. I want to buy one here too :rofl: :cheers:

GolfPunk
12 October 2016, 11:37 PM

About right, it's exactly £8250:cheers:

Evad3
12 October 2016, 11:38 PM
It's not a 'so called new daytona' it's a 'new daytona'..the changes may be small but the changes make an enormous difference to the practicality and look of the daytona.

The 4130 movement is perfect so did not need replacing. The case size is perfect, so did not need changing, the ceramic bezel mas very important to me due to legibility of SS bezels and the black paint coming out of the engravings, plus every time it's polished some of the depth of engravings is diminished. The new bezel takes all these problems away, and it looks amazing too.

:thumbsup:
May be best to save that reply in a word document on your laptop, I have a feeling it's going to be used a lot for the next few years :rofl:

beshannon
12 October 2016, 11:42 PM

So basically cosmetic changes to an existing watch.

Definitely not new in any sense of the word.

Evad3
12 October 2016, 11:45 PM

That's classified as a new watch when it comes to Rolex, no? :chuckle:

VinnieVegas
12 October 2016, 11:50 PM
Why would I even consider dropping $12k+ on a new watch from a dealer that attaches any qualifications?

I wouldn't spend $200 in that circumstance.

I trade my money for the watch. Mandatory engraving? It's mandatory that I take my money elsewhere.

texex91
12 October 2016, 11:57 PM

About $10k USD. Nice :thumbsup:

As for engraving lie--time to name and shame AD!

the_natural
12 October 2016, 11:58 PM

Does that include VAT like in France? I've never traveled much in the UK, or bought anything, can one de-tax like in France as well?

Sorry, now my mind is really going on this. :dummy:

Flstfirider
12 October 2016, 11:59 PM
Ben Bridge Jewelers was mentioned often on the forums about 8 years ago for having the same engraving policy for SS Daytonas.

My money will never be spent at a dealer with such a rediculus policy.

GolfPunk
12 October 2016, 11:59 PM

So basically a new watch, definitely new in every sense of the word.

Daytona 116520 owners who aren't getting a ceramic Daytona love bashing the NEW Daytona at every chance they get.

beshannon
13 October 2016, 12:03 AM
So basically a new watch, definitely new in every sense of the word.

Daytona 116520 owners who aren't getting a ceramic Daytona love bashing the NEW Daytona at every chance they get.

Not sure how the same movement and case is new and no bashing going on. I have no interest in the same watch with a new bezel.

Sounds more like whining from the "I have to have something shiny right now" crowd

:bye:

beshannon
13 October 2016, 12:06 AM
That's classified as a new watch when it comes to Rolex, no? :chuckle:

Apparently so since they have people lined up for years to get one. They will whine, complain and pay over list just to get one!

Marketing at its finest! :rofl:

padi56
13 October 2016, 12:15 AM

Agree about the SS bezel IMHO what they should have done with the Daytona when launched in 2000,was simply this. Put the aluminium bezel and insert like they had on the vintage 6263 no need for ceramic even now,but its still only a cosmetically changed watch.I much prefer the look of the Daytona C bezel wise, but ceramics advantages are cancelled out by its disadvantages, high cost to replace if chipped or broken,take the ceramic pepsi $1200 just for insert.

GolfPunk
13 October 2016, 12:18 AM
Agree about the SS bezel IMHO what they should have done with the Daytona when launched in 2000,was simply this. Put the aluminium bezel and insert like they had on the vintage 6263 no need for ceramic even now,but its still only a cosmetically changed watch.I much prefer the look of the Daytona C bezel wise, but ceramics advantages are cancelled out by its disadvantages, high cost to replace if chipped or broken,take the ceramic pepsi $1200 just for insert..

Audemars Piguet run their business on this basis, i.e., colours of the Royal Oak Offshore and Royal Oak models .

multimedia
13 October 2016, 12:20 AM
Does that include VAT like in France?

Yes, correct. So £8250 - 20%VAT (which actually comes to down to 16.7% if I'm not mistaken) will get you; £6873 = US$8,401

Problem though, is of course to find one. Otherwise, as I've mentioned here on the forum before, I would be on the next plain leaving HK for London... :chuckle:

Cheers,
Joe

RedCarrot
13 October 2016, 12:27 AM

As the saying goes, do not mastaken activities for result. Conversely in the case of Daytona C, do not underestimate the impact of 'small' changes. Of course everybody is different so the changes might have very little impact on you and that is more than perfectly OK. It'd be fruitless for anyone to try to convince you otherwise. By the same token, you won't convince others that already have their hearts set on the new look no matter how many times you repeat your annoying troll-like posts. As said earlier, do not mistaken activities for result. All you are demonstrating is poor forum etiquette.

T. Ferguson
13 October 2016, 12:55 AM
The new Daytona doesn't come on an Oyster, but on an ankle bracelet that is permanently fixed to the owner's wrist.

the_natural
13 October 2016, 01:49 AM
Yes, correct. So £8250 - 20%VAT (which actually comes to down to 16.7% if I'm not mistaken) will get you; £6873 = US$8,401

Problem though, is of course to find one. Otherwise, as I've mentioned here on the forum before, I would be on the next plain leaving HK for London... :chuckle:

Cheers,
Joe

Wow! So does this (better pricing in the UK) apply to other models too, like say the SD4c?

Yes, totally realize availability is the issue. I just got my Exp1 so I'm not in a position to buy right now anyway. I'm just doing my market research. :thumbsup:

multimedia
13 October 2016, 01:54 AM
Wow! So does this (better pricing in the UK) apply to other models too, like say the SD4c?

Yes, it applies to all Rolex watches (and other brands as well) :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Joe

the_natural
13 October 2016, 01:58 AM
Yes, it applies to all Rolex watches (and other brands as well) :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Joe

Sorry, I think my question was confusing. Short of calling an AD in London or wherever, what's the easiest way to find a UK price list? Maybe calling is the only real option? I'm wondering what the UK MSRP of the DS4c is.

Edit: never mind, just started calling London ADs at random to get an idea on prices. Thanks.

multimedia
13 October 2016, 02:19 AM
...I'm wondering what the UK MSRP of the DS4c is.
Edit: never mind, just started calling London ADs at random to get an idea on prices. Thanks.

Or, you can just have a look here instead ;)
Price list - up to date (http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=471020&page=5)

Cheers,
Joe

Etschell
13 October 2016, 02:23 AM

ask the owner if he will tattoo sold on his forehead. if so accept the watch on these terms.

the_natural
13 October 2016, 02:27 AM
Or, you can just have a look here instead ;)
Price list - up to date (http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=471020&page=5)

Cheers,
Joe

Awesome resource. No idea how I missed it this long. Thank you!

yoda888
13 October 2016, 03:54 AM
Wow, didn't realize this would elicit such responses.

I'm not going to name the AD, but it is an AD on Fifth Ave in NYC. I have purchased multiple watches from this store and salesperson in the past so there is an existing relationship. In fact I purchased my batman GMT from them/her when it was still somewhat difficult to obtain. She never mentioned anything about engraving on that. (Then again, this time I asked for 2 Daytonas, so not sure if she's thinking I'm going to flip or not).

At this point, I don't care about the engraving until it's my turn to purchase. If it gets to paying time, and it's still the policy, we'll have to work something out. I'm not keen on having my watched engraved, even though I have no intentions of flipping it.

I was just curious to see if anyone else had heard or experienced this at a legitimate AD.

42mm Scud Missile
13 October 2016, 03:57 AM
That is untrue too.
I work for an AD and this was communicated by Rolex so I'm not sure where you get your info

kilyung
13 October 2016, 04:05 AM
OP:Typical AD nonsense

GolfPunk
13 October 2016, 04:21 AM

I took the plastics off mine myself at home.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161012/b744ceab01d0fc607eedd0f9e22be01a.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161012/039b914835fd0e0c62e5bf1522df9908.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161012/078f34bed463b4f6c142a5dac63d7cad.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161012/f726ec386a01ad3e844b819668516089.png

Sublover2166
13 October 2016, 04:36 AM

You can buy one from DavidSW or the like complete with all stickers intact.
More AD fabricated Bull Shiatsu.
I will never buy a watch from an AD ever again as long as I live.
All the "shaking my head crap" you hear from AD's on this forum.

SC11
13 October 2016, 04:43 AM
I work for an AD and this was communicated by Rolex so I'm not sure where you get your info

Was it from a Rolex rep?

Might just being your rep trying to lay down extra rules but can assure you it's not the case across the globe or the US for that matter.

As per my early post mine was handed to me in the coffin, I size my watches myself so the AD placed the watch in its coffin into their bag with the warranty card in the slot on the coffin and the Rolex box separate next to it.

I briefly took the watch out of the coffin for a quick inspection.

Boaters
13 October 2016, 05:04 AM
Big line of BS

MVP
13 October 2016, 05:44 AM
How is it BS? They want to make sure that they are selling the first ones to people that actually want them and not people that are just using them as an opportunity to make some money. Giving people access to the watch who otherwise would not takes away from its exclusivity. Nobody is forcing you to buy one. Of course the engraving is not a firm policy, I'm sure everyone realizes based on the replies here that discretion is used.

Muzz
13 October 2016, 08:29 AM

You work at one AD, I buy from 4-5 ADs every single month. My info is solid.

CRM114
13 October 2016, 09:39 AM
If one doesn't want an engraving, the AD is essentially asking you to deface/devalue the watch in order for it to become yours.

It would seem engraving would also nullify any return guarantee they might have for an unworn watch, even if the buyer never actually touched it or removed any stickers themselves.

If an AD owner told me I had to deface my watch in order to buy it I'd agree as long as he/she first let me dent their car with a ball peen hammer and key the paint to be allowed to take my money.

Gaijin
13 October 2016, 10:54 AM
All these arguments that you would never let an AD engrave your SS Daytona are groovy. But the AD doesn't care.

If you say no to it they'll just sell it to someone else. Probably that same day.

Syed117
13 October 2016, 10:59 AM
That the sweet AD experience that people love so much.

Dr.Brian
13 October 2016, 11:05 AM
All these arguments that you would never let an AD engrave your SS Daytona are groovy. But the AD doesn't care.

If you say no to it they'll just sell it to someone else. Probably that same day.

That's certainly true. They can come up with bizzaro world rules for the Daytona. If you don't like it, that's fine. Don't buy it, it will still be sold within 24 hours to someone who doesn't care and will engrave, remove the stickers, or whatever.

the0thrdude
13 October 2016, 11:33 AM
I would really like to know the name of this AD.
If you've got the money, then the watch is yours. You can do whatever u want with it. Period.

Flywheel
13 October 2016, 11:39 AM
You could still flip the watch with an engraving. It's not a deternant.

stainlesssteve
13 October 2016, 02:18 PM
They lied to you about the engraving policy. Probably also lying about the wait list and the number of Daytona they are allocated...

John Condom
13 October 2016, 04:58 PM
So a free case back engraving and people are complaining? Sounds like a great offer to me. And if you don't like it, a replacement case back won't cost the earth.

R G
13 October 2016, 07:28 PM

That's a beautiful sight.

Reminds me of how my Sub C was presented to me by the AD I bought it from in 2013.

This is in addition to a bag it was wrapped up in with sticky notes saying "do not touch" whilst it was in their safe waiting for me to collect.

mr_mike
13 October 2016, 07:59 PM
I hope mine gets delivered like this; factory fresh! :thumbsup:

Mine came like that too. At least, that's how they brought it out to the desk when I went to collect it. It left on my wrist, still with the plastics on, and the Rolex box etc in a store bag.

GolfPunk
13 October 2016, 08:44 PM
Mine was brought out in the sealed coffin box so 100% factory fresh and untouched.

42mm Scud Missile
15 October 2016, 12:57 PM
You work at one AD, I buy from 4-5 ADs every single month. My info is solid.

4-5 Wow so impressive!:clap:

T. Ferguson
15 October 2016, 01:58 PM
They lied to you about the engraving policy. Probably also lying about the wait list and the number of Daytona they are allocated...

If there was an edict about mandatory engraving passed down by the mother ship this would be a lot more widespread on here than just this thread. I recall Dr. Tom's thread where he posted the email from his AD going over the rules in advance when his watch came in and there was nothing about this. Just the usual stuff we've all heard about taking delivery at the store (no shipping), stickers must be peeled, and warranty card must be filled out with buyers name.

SC11
15 October 2016, 04:21 PM
4-5 Wow so impressive!:clap:

And your meaningful input is?

You initially tried to validate your claim but stating 'I work for an AD' Steve just countered with he 'buys from muiltiple AD's' not a case of showing off at all just putting weight to his valid opinion.

We are all saying in our cases this mandatory engraving is not the case so is clearly not a Rolex enforced procedure and can only be an AD enforced one.

One against many I'm afraid so best wind it in a little accept it:dummy:

SC11
15 October 2016, 04:25 PM
If there was an edict about mandatory engraving passed down by the mother ship this would be a lot more widespread on here than just this thread. I recall Dr. Tom's thread where he posted the email from his AD going over the rules in advance when his watch came in and there was nothing about this. Just the usual stuff we've all heard about taking delivery at the store (no shipping), stickers must be peeled, and warranty card must be filled out with buyers name.

Yes I remember that but again that doesn't seem to be every AD, as said mine was in the coffin and all the AD had me do was fill in the warranty card in front on him.

Maybe Rolex are clearly putting the onus on the AD with this model stating they want the AD to take precautions that it doesn't get purchased purely to flip to the grey market and each AD is interpreting this is his/her own way and implementing such rules?!

And if these precautions where advised by Rolex it could be via their reps so again would give another degree of interpretation into the communication trail filtering down.

ndsleep612
15 October 2016, 04:38 PM
Mandatory eh? have that sales associate talk to my lawyer. someone will get set straight...

hambone1983
15 October 2016, 05:37 PM
I would guess that some ADs believe its in their interest to limit competition from the secondary market, so they intend to make watches less saleable by forcing you to put scratches on it that another buyer will dislike. Tell them you spoke to Klaus at Rolex and he said the AD is full of schnitzel.

T. Ferguson
15 October 2016, 10:44 PM
Yes I remember that but again that doesn't seem to be every AD, as said mine was in the coffin and all the AD had me do was fill in the warranty card in front on him.

Well right, if you left with the stickers on then your guy was a little more lenient. The only point I was making is that we've heard about the sticker thing, as well as not shipping the watch and filling out the card, from numerous member's experiences so there is some evidence those are Rolex rules. But this engraving thing hasn't popped up before.

Who knows with Rolex. Maybe it is a rule they came up with but it's so outlandish that so far only one AD has been willing to even mention it to any of our members. :cheers:

zion_rasta
15 October 2016, 11:49 PM
Rolex needs to fix this AD non sense. It is really turning customers away to other brands - like me!

Muzz
16 October 2016, 12:22 AM
And your meaningful input is?

You initially tried to validate your claim but stating 'I work for an AD' Steve just countered with he 'buys from muiltiple AD's' not a case of showing off at all just putting weight to his valid opinion.

We are all saying in our cases this mandatory engraving is not the case so is clearly not a Rolex enforced procedure and can only be an AD enforced one.

One against many I'm afraid so best wind it in a little accept it:dummy:

Thanks Sam!! I could not say it anywhere near as eloquently but that was what I was trying to imply. Absolutely not in anyway trying to sound like I was bolstering.

:cheers: really appreciate that my friend!!

Dr.Brian
16 October 2016, 12:41 AM
I forgot to add in my post above that I'd be happy to have my watch back engraved, though probably not by their hacks. I've been considering that for years now as I bought my Sea-Dweller to mark a significant life event, but the artist that I wanted to do it doesn't work any more. You snooze you lose. :(

SC11
16 October 2016, 01:55 AM
Well right, if you left with the stickers on then your guy was a little more lenient. The only point I was making is that we've heard about the sticker thing, as well as not shipping the watch and filling out the card, from numerous member's experiences so there is some evidence those are Rolex rules. But this engraving thing hasn't popped up before.

Who knows with Rolex. Maybe it is a rule they came up with but it's so outlandish that so far only one AD has been willing to even mention it to any of our members. :cheers:

No I was agreeing with you that I've heard that to in the US and here in the UK however it was mentioned or insisted on me so would say it's more an AD implemented procedure but again maybe not to the letter but Rolex could stipulate they take some actions to stop all these watches hitting the grey market.

But on the other hand given Dr Tom's buying power at hide AD I'm sure they would be happy to bend the rules unless it did come from above and therefore out of their hands so to speak.

As said all these variations could just be each regional rep taking a different angle on what the Rolex H/O has asked if them.

SC11
16 October 2016, 01:57 AM
Thanks Sam!! I could not say it anywhere near as eloquently but that was what I was trying to imply. Absolutely not in anyway trying to sound like I was bolstering.

:cheers: really appreciate that my friend!!

You are a modest man Steve and we all know that :cheers:

And one of the only members able to pull off the leopard Daytona :smokin::rofl:

4srolex
16 October 2016, 04:34 PM
It's BS, I was at an event where they sold 5 Daytonas that night. Everyone walked out without needing to have it engraved. I had asked the AD back in April if it was required by Rolex to remove the Stickers on the 116500 and he looked at me and told me no. I've had my deposit since March and if my AD tries to engrave it, I won't take delievery no matter how much I want the watch. I want my watch in its' original state.

brettpaul
16 October 2016, 11:34 PM
Well said. :cheers:

That would no longer be an AD I would deal with.

It's just a watch... Some folks treat them as if they are the mona lisa.
So ridiculous.

Holy horse-feathers Batman....great AD!! Make sure you don't touch them with a 50-foot cattle prod...1 per week..HA!!:bartmoon:

Racerdj
17 October 2016, 06:18 AM
Absolutely false.

strafer_kid
17 October 2016, 06:42 AM
Rolex needs to fix this AD non sense. It is really turning customers away to other brands - like me!

Rolex could go even further and fix much of the hype about this watch! Presumably they could just increase the production and supply of the Daytona on a whim if they so wished and end a lot of the 'drama' surrounding this?

swish77
11 December 2016, 07:36 AM
I'm late to this thread ... but this is 100 percent accurate: It's the Rolex Boutique on 5th Avenue in NYC, which is run by AD Wempe next door to Rolex U.S. headquarters and service center. I've been told numerous times in person and on the phone that they must engrave the case back on new ceramic Daytonas for customers when they are sold. It can be anything, and as simple as two letters, but something must be engraved on the back.

This is absolutely the policy. The thing I'm not sure about (I got vague responses when I pushed on the topic) is whether it's a Rolex policy or the AD's policy, but either way, Rolex would certainly know about it. It's in the same building as the Rolex HQ!

I've been on the Daytona-C "preferred" waiting list at the boutique since last May. Every month or so I call to check where I am on the list, and also ask this: "Just checking .... is it still the policy that the new Daytona must be engraved for the customer when sold?" The answer has always been "yes."

Johnv
11 December 2016, 08:23 AM
Buy the watch.
If you want to sell it send the watch to RSC to swap the caseback and remove the swirls.

DPE
11 December 2016, 09:24 AM
Lol, I think that Rolex now want you to have the serial number tatoo onto your arm before you leave the AD. So they know you are the person that first bought the watch :chuckle::twit::joy:

Johnv
11 December 2016, 10:33 AM
Lol, I think that Rolex now want you to have the serial number tatoo onto your arm before you leave the AD. So they know you are the person that first bought the watch :chuckle::twit::joy:

Don't worry, it's on the microchip under your skin!

brogue
11 December 2016, 11:18 AM
The AD is trying to say anything possible to cover for the delay

rod727
11 December 2016, 12:33 PM
Ok so a few weeks ago I learned here that the dealers were going to hold the warranty card.....now they are going to require the watch be engraved .....whats next?

SonnyAK
11 December 2016, 12:59 PM
Lots of good reasons here to not buy from AD's and just keep supporting the really great grey market dealers...

Boaters
11 December 2016, 02:01 PM
What a joke

JoeBruin
11 December 2016, 02:44 PM
I'm late to this thread ... but this is 100 percent accurate: It's the Rolex Boutique on 5th Avenue in NYC, which is run by AD Wempe next door to Rolex U.S. headquarters and service center. I've been told numerous times in person and on the phone that they must engrave the case back on new ceramic Daytonas for customers when they are sold. It can be anything, and as simple as two letters, but something must be engraved on the back.

This is absolutely the policy. The thing I'm not sure about (I got vague responses when I pushed on the topic) is whether it's a Rolex policy or the AD's policy, but either way, Rolex would certainly know about it. It's in the same building as the Rolex HQ!

I've been on the Daytona-C "preferred" waiting list at the boutique since last May. Every month or so I call to check where I am on the list, and also ask this: "Just checking .... is it still the policy that the new Daytona must be engraved for the customer when sold?" The answer has always been "yes."

Long time lurker, first time poster here. This policy is most certainly implemented by the AD, and not Rolex itself. A NYT article from earlier this year reads:

...That same day, some even lined up outside the Fifth Avenue flagship of Wempe Jewelers, a prominent Rolex dealer, before it opened, said Ruediger Albers, the president of American Wempe Corporation...“Managing expectations is a challenge,” said Mr. Albers, who is considering engraving the purchaser’s names on the back of each watch to discourage buyers only looking to resell for a profit. He is also considering setting aside a couple of Daytonas for loyal customers to borrow for a week, so they can at least “enjoy the newness.”

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/06/fashion/mens-style/rolex-daytona-watch.html

swish77
12 December 2016, 01:19 AM
Long time lurker, first time poster here. This policy is most certainly implemented by the AD, and not Rolex itself. A NYT article from earlier this year reads:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/06/fashion/mens-style/rolex-daytona-watch.html

Interesting, and thanks for sharing. But I think that's a reference to the Wempe store, which also happens to be on 5th Ave. My experience was with the actual Rolex Boutique in the Rolex building. Now, I believe that Wempe runs the boutique but there is no Wempe branding there, so it looks like it's just a Rolex shop. Still, the engraving policy does indeed seem to be an AD policy. I'm surprised that Rolex allows it. Doesn't seem right.

bondtoys
12 December 2016, 04:23 AM
Lots of good reasons here to not buy from AD's and just keep supporting the really great grey market dealers...

oh, and which Grey Market seller will sell you a Ceramic Daytona without a premium??

I'd rather pay msrp and have it engraved (a new caseback will cost around 200$) instead of paying 5000+ at a grey.

And ADs continue to give out Daytona Cs for mrsp to people that are on their waiting list. Not the case with Greys.

GB-man
12 December 2016, 04:59 AM

I'd tell them I'll have it engraved with a naked picture of Mr Albers wife.

Mine came fully stickered and no stupid engraving. My AD would never be so pompous.

gregmoeck
12 December 2016, 05:49 AM
I would have Eric Clapton engraved on mine and sell it for a premium

Nyc27000
12 December 2016, 08:56 AM
clearly this is not a Rolex policy as many on this forum have gotten theirs from an AD without being required to engrave, including me. I also got my warranty card and was not required to remove stickers.

I suggest finding a new AD.

tomchicago
12 December 2016, 01:49 PM
Mendacity, Big Daddy!

dbluevette
12 December 2016, 10:40 PM
AD experience lol

swish77
13 December 2016, 02:02 AM
Quick update: I called Rolex Customer Service about this mandatory engraving policy and spoke to a nice-enough fellow named George. He confirmed that Rolex knows about the policy but that ADs are allowed to set their own rules when selling the watches. He actually said he understood why I thought mandatory engraving was outrageous and said he would pass along my sentiments to higher-ups who could then "advise" the AD, whatever that means. Presumably they'll suggest that Wempe drops the policy but can't force them.

I then asked George if a Rolex AD had an even more offensive policy, something really horrible, like refusing to sell watches to certain people based on race or nationality, would Rolex then get involved? Perhaps, he said.

All in all, frustrating and ridiculous. It would be like a Mercedes dealer forcing a customer to paint pin-stripes on a new car even if they hated them. Sigh.

mikemcq
13 December 2016, 02:11 AM
I do not have much experience with ADs. I only have one Rolex, that was bought from an AD and they were great. My question is this... Do you all report these bad AD experiences (rudeness, holding out stock for other customers, forced engraving) to Rolex? I would hope Rolex would frown upon these actions by their ADs, or do they just not care?

Gold Crown
13 December 2016, 02:19 AM
I can understand not selling a Daytona to someone who has not previously purchased a rolex from a particular AD. Same reason why some ADs are asking for deposits. It weeds out the people who are calling multiple ADs and fishing. Lets be real, there is a lot of demand for the watch and numbers on lists have to be reduced somehow in the early months/years. Obviously ADs are going to prioritize return customers and VIPs. Its just good business.

For heavens sake just buy a gray market one, Many for sale on ebay.