PDA

View Full Version : Engraving on back - Does it destroy the value?

jlovda
31 May 2009, 08:55 AM
I own a Submariner 5513 that I purchased new in 1970 on my first trip to Europe right out of college. It is a domed bezel model with meters first on the dial. Within a few years after I bought it I had it engraved on the back(see attached picture). Does this kill the resale value or how much of a penalty would I get hit with?

Thanks

diablojota
31 May 2009, 08:59 AM
I'd like to see more pics of that beauty!

My initial reaction is that it wouldn't hurt the value by much. It may either be easily buffed out or a replacement back could be sourced for it. My guess, and this is purely a guess, you may be looking at a couple hundred bucks less than what it is worth market value so long as everything else is original and it hasn't been polished too much or the patina is too bad.

Watchdog
31 May 2009, 09:03 AM
It hurts value . . .

Unless it's engraved:

"Hans Wilsdorf -- 1919"

:chuckle:

Tools
31 May 2009, 09:06 AM
No, it will not hurt the value to a great degree. Maybe a hundred bucks.... It will, however, make your audience smaller because there are some that will not buy an engraved watch...

There are many other things that could affect the watches value more so than an engraving which could be replaced at service..

that engraving is also very light and could be taken off easily without losing much of the parent metal at all.......

Andad
31 May 2009, 09:44 AM
If you ever really needed to sell it, buy a replacement caseback and keep the original.

T5AUS
31 May 2009, 05:49 PM
No, hardly on a watch of that calibre, and as Larry says, easily removed. Looks a nice piece, any dial photo's :cheers:

Jocke
31 May 2009, 07:29 PM
I own a Submariner 5513 that I purchased new in 1970 on my first trip to Europe right out of college. It is a domed bezel model with meters first on the dial. Within a few years after I bought it I had it engraved on the back(see attached picture). Does this kill the resale value or how much of a penalty would I get hit with?

Thanks

Ok now you can get a few bucks more.

http://www.watchwallpapers.com/subbackcase.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jocke

Skullring
1 June 2009, 01:49 AM
My advice would be to keep it and then it doesn't matter.

SLS
1 June 2009, 05:29 AM
Just look for a period correct caseback, they are out there.
Scott

jlovda
2 June 2009, 01:00 AM
Ok now you can get a few bucks more.

Jocke

If only it was so easy and inexpensive!

Petahwong
2 June 2009, 05:13 AM
Don't sell it.

you will regret it!

RobY330i
2 June 2009, 06:15 AM
It does hurt the resale value of the watch.
Better to purchase a replacement back and engrave that instead.

damoyorkie
5 June 2009, 04:24 AM
It would not matter to me, as the year, quarter, and serial number would be more important.

It is amazing how many people are looking for their birth year (and quarter), and how when people get to mid 30's to 40's they have a bit more money to spend on luxuries.

If it is a 1970 watch hold it until next year and you might get interest from people wanting to celebrate a significant 40th birthday.

If you can, keep it though, after all it is steeped in your personal history.

Post a face-picture, please, please, please.

shandy
5 June 2009, 08:02 AM
I have several vintage watches and things like engravings do not put me off at all, in fact it is kind of nice as you know the watch has been well loved and thought of!

jlovda
6 June 2009, 01:18 PM
It would not matter to me, as the year, quarter, and serial number would be more important.

It is amazing how many people are looking for their birth year (and quarter), and how when people get to mid 30's to 40's they have a bit more money to spend on luxuries.

If it is a 1970 watch hold it until next year and you might get interest from people wanting to celebrate a significant 40th birthday.

If you can, keep it though, after all it is steeped in your personal history.

Post a face-picture, please, please, please.

Here you are.

Imtiaz
6 June 2009, 03:13 PM
Engraving was the rage in the 40's to the 70's.

People put their initials or name on everything. Pens, lighters, watches etc.

I do think it devalues the watch normally, but in some cases the watch value can increase by 10 fold.

The Rolex Marlyn Monroe is said to have gifted to JFK was sold at a thumping price and the back was engraved.

(Later the serial number was found to be one after JFK died)

Tools
6 June 2009, 05:10 PM
Great looking watch John...

the dial is nicely aged, the hands intact.... there should not be any value lost because of the caseback on that piece.........:thumbsup:

Dalton
6 June 2009, 06:50 PM
I have had great success filling in engraving with steel solder, so it's not all lost. The tricky part is getting a good finish. Polishing it down works only if the engraving is filled.

Dalton
6 June 2009, 06:55 PM
Engraving was the rage in the 40's to the 70's.

People put their initials or name on everything. Pens, lighters, watches etc.

I do think it devalues the watch normally, but in some cases the watch value can increase by 10 fold.

The Rolex Marlyn Monroe is said to have gifted to JFK was sold at a thumping price and the back was engraved.

(Later the serial number was found to be one after JFK died)
you're absolutely right! Too bad JLM is no JFK

unclesallie
10 June 2009, 04:09 AM
i believe generally grey marketeers tell you engraving reduces value, but not a huge amount. looks to be a nice watch, so i wouldn't worry: i'd hold on to it.