PDA

View Full Version : Oyster-Royal 834788 date?

KCRandy
12 June 2009, 01:08 AM
I'm new and have just acquired an Oyster-Royal and have found the number 834788 between the top lugs and BREVET and swiss cross symbol between the bottom lugs. Is that the watch's serial number and does that mean it is from 1936. It is in running order. The stem wind doesn't pull out. I've exerted some pressure but do not want to apply any more. I'm ignorant here. I've been told to set the watch, other than having the bezel taken off, to let it wind down on its own, wait until that time occurs again and then wind it. Wow, as I'm writing this it just stopped at 7:13:28. Guess I'll see if it will wind at that time this evening. The face plate is a kind of honeycomb pattern. The five minute marks are all arrows except for 12 of course.

adam78
12 June 2009, 05:49 AM
Your watch is from about 1951 by this chart: http://www.qualitytyme.net/pages/numbers.html

Since it is an Oyster, the crown does not pull out until it is unscrewed from the case tube (a patented method for water resistance, along with the screw-down case back -- this is a Rolex after all!). Be gentle, and you'll get the hang of it. It will need to be serviced if not done recently to your knowledge.

Post a picture if you can upload one to a server such as Photobucket. The honeycomb dial you describe is echt-50s.

KCRandy
12 June 2009, 11:38 AM
Adam,
Thanks. I was gently able to unscrew the winding stem and it popped out and then I was able to wind the watch and it's ticking away. I missed by 15 minutes getting it started at the right time. Is there no way to move the hour hand. Must I want until it winds down again and then catch it at the right time. I'll work on getting a good close up of the dial. It's quite attractive. I rather wish now this watch had not come into my possession. I feeling bit by the bug.
Spending more time watching the second hand sweep around that seems healthy.
KCRandy

KCRandy
12 June 2009, 12:42 PM
Counterclockwise pressure on the winding stem released it. Unfortunately, I missed the reset time by 15 minutes. I was able to rewind it, but does that mean, indeed, to set to proper time I must wait for it to wind down again and this time rewind when real time comes around?

Will try and get photo of dial. It's quite lovely.

KCRandy
12 June 2009, 01:15 PM
I wanted to add, too, that I think some kind of bug has bitten me. I'm spending way more time watching the second hand sweep across the dial than seems healthy.

jdc
12 June 2009, 05:48 PM
Counterclockwise pressure on the winding stem released it. Unfortunately, I missed the reset time by 15 minutes. I was able to rewind it, but does that mean, indeed, to set to proper time I must wait for it to wind down again and this time rewind when real time comes around?

Will try and get photo of dial. It's quite lovely.

Do the unwinding to the first notch/setting which is the winding as you have figured out. It will pull out to a second notch/setting so you can set the time:cheers:

KCRandy
12 June 2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks very much. I now have the watch on my wrist keeping time and properly set. Unscrewing the winding stem has revealed the threads need a cleaning. Time to find a certified Rolex dealer in KC. Any recommendations and what should I expect to pay for an overall servicing.

jdc
12 June 2009, 11:37 PM
I paid £120 ($200) for a mainspring replacement and service on a Oysterdate I own, but it was a not an authorised Rolex watchmaker. Not sure what it would be in your part of the world. Any competent watchmaker should be able to do a service

KCRandy
13 June 2009, 02:43 PM
I went to a place I won't name in KC today. Registered Rolex dealer. They wanted a minimum of $550 to even get started. I'll keep looking.

Tools
13 June 2009, 03:07 PM
I went to a place I won't name in KC today. Registered Rolex dealer. They wanted a minimum of $550 to even get started. I'll keep looking.

That's a good idea; the watch is probably only worth 2 or 3 times that amount.....

This watch, although very nice and capable, may not warrant that kind of outlay. Rolex services their watches on a flat-rate, so service of any watch starts at 550.

Unfortunately, almost any watchmaker jacks p their rates any time they see Rolex on the dial.

However......... If you feel that this fine timepiece should be brought back to like new condition, (I would do this, even if the cost was equal to the value of the watch) look up the number for the Rolex Service Center on Post rd, in San Fransisco...... they may be very helpful...

With proper servicing and original parts, this watch can last for a couple of more generations.............:cheers:

KCRandy
14 June 2009, 11:32 AM
Dear Tools and all,
I'll investigate other alternatives from trusted local sources. Meanwhile, here are couple of pictures of the watch. The color here is pretty accurate of the dial. First time I've tried to post images. Don't know if I've done it correctly or not. Trying to use photobucket.

http://s608.photobucket.com/albums/tt167/kcrandy/?action=tageditalbum

KCRandy
16 June 2009, 11:32 AM
Here are pictures of the watch face.