PDA

View Full Version : What is the allure of vintage?

Watchdog
3 July 2009, 06:07 AM
Considering a vintage purchase, but I was wondering what made others so passionate about the older pieces?

Dan Pierce
3 July 2009, 06:20 AM
Considering a vintage purchase, but I was wondering what made others so passionate about the older pieces?

Their history, known and unknown. The fact they've stood the test of time. But the biggest plus is acquiring a piece no longer being produced. :cheers: They just seem more comfortable.:thumbsup:
dP

mcjp6
3 July 2009, 09:05 AM
They just seem more comfortable.:thumbsup:
dP

X2 plus the the feel and look of the acrylic crystal..:thumbsup:

mike
3 July 2009, 09:22 AM
Many different answers to this question.

For some it's owning a piece of an era when Rolex was the definition of "tool watch". To others it's the look, feel, and warmth of acryllic.

Others feel a each vintage piece has it's own unique look depending on the patina and condition of the case/band etc...

Others prefer the older movements had more of the watchmakers "care" put into them.

Whatever the reason vintage represents an era in the history of Rolex we will never see again.

I own both vintage and modern, but for me vintage watches were the one's I "grew up" with and as such will always hold a special place.:cheers:

Lol-x
3 July 2009, 09:44 AM
Vintage is an acquired taste. It is for the connoisseur. In one way it's like a vintage wine, and in other like a vintage motor vehicle, but different also in each case.

Vintage Rolex are also rich in history, they capture and represent yesteryear.

From the way the second hand moves to the aesthetics of the dial the vintage models represent a remarkable period in history when man conquered the highest peak in the world, and sank to the greatest depth in the ocean.

KJacques
3 July 2009, 10:02 AM
Vintage to me is when Rolex was the choice of the greatest adventurers on earth instead of a being more a piece of jewelry used as a status symbol. Plus, I love the look of acrylic crystals.

away36
3 July 2009, 10:38 AM
I love my vintage watches. I love the look, the feel and the incredible quality that Rolex has always had. I'm excited that I have a 50 year old watch that we can still get parts for! (Al had it fully serviced right after he bought it for me) What I enjoy most is wearing them and wondering who wore them before me...what kind of person she was and what kind of lifestyle she had. They will get passed on to my daughters-in-law.:thumbsup:

Watchdog
3 July 2009, 10:45 AM
Many different answers to this question.

For some it's owning a piece of an era when Rolex was the definition of "tool watch". To others it's the look, feel, and warmth of acryllic.

Others feel a each vintage piece has it's own unique look depending on the patina and condition of the case/band etc...

Others prefer the older movements had more of the watchmakers "care" put into them.

Whatever the reason vintage represents an era in the history of Rolex we will never see again.

I own both vintage and modern, but for me vintage watches were the one's I "grew up" with and as such will always hold a special place.:cheers:

Good answer! And thanks again for all the valuable information you provide.

:cheers::cheers:

Watchdog
3 July 2009, 10:46 AM
Vintage is an acquired taste. It is for the connoisseur. In one way it's like a vintage wine, and in other like a vintage motor vehicle, but different also in each case.

From the way the second hand moves to the aesthetics of the dial the vintage models represent a remarkable period in history when man conquered the highest peak in the world, and sank to the greatest depth in the ocean.

Eloquent and accurate.:thumbsup:

lobo58
3 July 2009, 11:38 AM

I disagree on the wine. Wine is good when it is good. The automobile analogy works, though. New is not always better. I'd take a totally restored '63 Studebaker Avanti over a new Porsche any day of the week. But that's just me. It's what floats my boat. And really, who wouldn't love this dial, from a very early Enicar dive watch:

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m228/lobo58/enicarseapearl.jpg

I understand the fascination with the early subs, but the nuttiness around the PN Daytonas is hard to figure. In 1981, Rolex could not give SS Daytonas away.

Watchdog
3 July 2009, 11:47 AM
I understand the fascination with the early subs, but the nuttiness around the PN Daytonas is hard to figure. In 1981, Rolex could not give SS Daytonas away.

I have no idea how the Daytona sold in 1981, but I have always been mystified by the colossal appeal of the model. Beautiful, but to many this watch is simply THE ONE AND ONLY. :thinking:

lobo58
3 July 2009, 11:57 AM
I have no idea how the Daytona sold in 1981, but I have always been mystified by the colossal appeal of the model. Beautiful, but to many this watch is simply THE ONE AND ONLY. :thinking:

I wore one for years, unknowingly. I gave it to my dad to wear as a daily beater, and when his eyesight failed, he gave it back so he could wear a Timex with a giant dial. I wore it daily for another year and then, on a lark, typed "Daytona 6263" into Google and discovered my watch was worth $30K.

I sold it. I'd had the piece for almost thirty years and never, not once, used the chronograph. $30K? Come on!

It's "collectible" to those so inclined. More power to them. I just like watches that work and look fan-f'ing-tastic.

mark

pz93c
3 July 2009, 12:29 PM
They represent an era that we'll never see again.

Lol-x
3 July 2009, 12:37 PM
I disagree on the wine. Wine is good when it is good.

I guess it depends on your level of experience with wines, a connoisseur, for example can see wines evolve, they are not just 'good' when they are 'good' at a given point in time, they change, some get worse, some become exquisite: for example
https://www.nicks.com.au/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=5237

onkyo
3 July 2009, 01:25 PM
Each piece in unique and has lived a life. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

SLS
3 July 2009, 05:21 PM
I think it's neat to have a watch that is older than myself! I fell in love with the older stuff and have never looked back...the modern pieces are nice, but the vintage pieces are so much better. Plus, it's fun to go into an AD and watch the sales people try to sneak a peak of your watch and then try to figure out what it is! Is it real, is it fake :rofl:
Scott

T5AUS
3 July 2009, 07:19 PM
Old stuff like myself old sh**t is cool:thumbsup::thumbsup::cheers:

:rofl:Gota agree with that statement :rofl:
Just to add though, it is the maturing of these classics, finding them in original livery, nothing changed, with all the knocks sustained on it's long journey, the original dial and hands still there, and, as in the case of my 62 5512, buying it from it's original 84 year old owner, that really adds to it, just knowing it's history. You are the caretaker of a unique piece of history and it is important that you keep it in the same condition as you found it, ready for the next watch nut to enjoy when you do finally move on (wonder if they have vintage watches in the afterlife) (note, I didn't say heaven):rofl: :thumbsup:

jdc
3 July 2009, 07:19 PM
For me its an affordable and value for money way to own a quality watch. I like the fact that the watch has a history and has been recycled in the best possible meaning of the word.
Older watches seem to have more character and you are likely to own something that is less common than newer watches.
Acrylic crystals have a softer warmer look and are not as reflective as sapphire. Acrylic don't seem to show finger marks like their sapphire cousins.
One thing I do like to replace on an older watch is the bracelet for a new version
my two vintage
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll319/jackdavidcharlo/L1040684.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll319/jackdavidcharlo/L1030179.jpg

Poohsan
4 July 2009, 10:13 AM
I decided to go vintage for my third Rolex. My purchasing logic was as follows:
1st Rolex, Submariner Y-series, daily beater.
2nd Rolex, GMT II Y-series, dork watch for business travel.
3rd Rolex, Vintage 1680 (1973), grail watch. I made it a quest to find a Rolex the same age as myself. I felt a desire to have something different from the fashion and prestige watch crowd.

Clay
4 July 2009, 10:28 AM
All of the above....... and I don't think anything can compare with the "look" of a MATT DIAL Sea Dweller or Submariner...Much nicer then the modern glossy dial.....
I have a 16600 Sea Dweller, which I love, but it can't compare, looks wise, to a nice 1665.....

pz93c
4 July 2009, 01:34 PM
I hear you, chief.

Nothing beats a matte black dial DJ, either. :thumbsup:

007Sub
4 July 2009, 03:03 PM
For me vintage of course means history... but its also largely aesthetic appeal. The matte dials on the older watches are, in my opinion, way more attractive, than the newer more flashy gloss dials with WG surrounds. Owning a vintage watch is also owning something that is and will be collectible forever.

fobs
4 July 2009, 03:40 PM
heh! i wore my 14k solid gold 1005 oyster into an AD,... yup, they seldom had the chance of seeing one. Sure gets them interested.

The GMT Kid
5 July 2009, 11:26 AM
I like the pie pan dial of my vintage 1803 and prefer it to the modern flat dials.

watchthisone2
5 July 2009, 05:33 PM
Vintage Rolex.
Great question!
Several reasons for me really. They are not making any more, stating the obvious and once you have a vintage piece, chances are they will only go up in value. Whereas a new watch may well take a hit as soon as you get it out the shop. An old watch has character and and perhaps some history and you can wear it not worrying about putting a mark or scratch on it.

Boopie
7 July 2009, 03:13 PM
I just like the look of old things, whether it's architecture, antique furnishings, fountain pens (and inkwells) or vintage cars. Vintage watches fall into that category. We inherited some older wristwatches (from the 1930s and 1940s) from a relative. They aren't Rolexes, or even particularly expensive (e.g. an early Movado sports watch, and a Baume & Mercier chronograph) that just look "cool" to me. I enjoy the way that decades ago, craftsmen took pride in making ordinary, utilitarian things look interesting. We also inherited several antique lighters...one is a stylized, free-standing lighter (presumably made to look great on a desk) made of bakelite and chrome. I love its deco look.

I recently went to a nice antique watch dealer that had old Rolex "bubblebacks" in stock as well as some old Patek Phillippes. I just admire the "look" of the watches, whether it's the font, the style of the numbers, etc.

TurboWatch
7 July 2009, 03:18 PM
and not to mention, that "OLD" watch on your wrist costs twice the new one...
: comming from a Vintage side of me ...LOL

Hey, but then the modern side of me says : I would rather spend my hard-earned money on something that is up-to-date, and flashy ...:clap:

Therefore I own BOTH !

SkooterNB
8 July 2009, 02:08 AM
Yes, go for both. I have a majority of vintage; because of the smaller size it is a nicer dress watch in my opinion, keep the newer ones for everyday use (except for my 1550).

art1118
16 July 2010, 08:25 AM
Hello All:
Those of you who are familiar with my previous posts know that my 1968 Rolex watch went missing in the postal system after being cleaned, serviced, and restored to "as new" condition. I feel that I have lost a part of myself. I have many memories that I associate with that watch. If I win on appeal and get the insurance, I probably won't be able to get a close replacement at that price. A part of me is gone forever and will not be replaced. That is what a vintage, one owner (me) Rolex watch means to me.

TheDude
16 July 2010, 09:17 AM
Remember the speech in "Gone in Sixty Seconds" that Nicholas Cage's character gave to the salesman about why he wanted a Shelby GT 500 and not some new sports car?

Memphis: Roger, I have a problem...
Roger the Car Salesman: Yes?
Memphis: I've been in L.A. for three months now. I have money, I have taste. But I'm not on anybody's "A" list, and Saturday night is the loneliest night for the week for me.
Roger the Car Salesman: Well, a Ferrari would certainly change that.
Memphis: Perhaps, Mmmm. But, you know, this is the one. Yes, yes yes... I saw three of these parked outside the local Starbucks this morning, which tells me only one thing. There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam...
Roger the Car Salesman: You would not be a self-indulgent wiener, sir... You'd be a connoisseur.
Memphis: Precisely. Champagne would fall from the heavens. Doors would open. Velvet ropes would part.

Nicko
16 July 2010, 09:19 AM
Remember the speech in "Gone in Sixty Seconds" that Nicholas Cage's character gave to the salesman about why he wanted a Shelby GT 500 and not some new sports car?

Watch it again if you can't recall. It seems to remind me of how I feel about Vintage vs. New. :)

I love that movie! :cheers:

mgm
16 July 2010, 09:54 AM
As time passes, the aesthetic of an era crystalizes, inasmuch as it becomes discernibly different from what follows. That crystallization is not visible to the contemporaneous eye, because, even though we differentiate between what we like and don't like, we are too much caught up in the cultural moment to see it with objectivity.

A good example is the hair and clothing styles of the 70's and 80's. When we were living it, we thought ourselves quite with it, but in retrospect the aesthetic is profoundly embarrassing. :dummy::dummy::dummy::rofl:

Good design rises to the surface as time goes by, unencumbered by the demands of the day; what may have seemed ordinary at one time becomes extraordinary by virtue of distillation. And, oddly and interestingly, except for a few semi-successful attempts at retro design, the vintage aesthetic never does really come back; it is of its age.

kyle L
16 July 2010, 11:12 AM

Memphis: I've been in L.A. for three months now. I have money, I have taste. But I'm not on anybody's "A" list, and Saturday night is the loneliest night for the week for me.
Memphis: Perhaps, Mmmm. But, you know, this is the one. Yes, yes yes... I saw three of these parked outside the local Starbucks this morning, which tells me only one thing. There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam...
Roger the Car Salesman: You would not be a self-indulgent wiener, sir... You'd be a connoisseur.
Memphis: Precisely. Champagne would fall from the heavens. Doors would open. Velvet ropes would part.

:chuckle: :thumbsup:

Renoir
16 July 2010, 11:38 AM

That movie got me into a lot of trouble!:chuckle:

Here's my "Eleanor":thumbsup::

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d90/renatoabella/DSC00132-1.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d90/renatoabella/DSC00851.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d90/renatoabella/DSC00852.jpg

As for watches, I love the vintage for the history, charm and exclusivity:thumbsup::

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d90/renatoabella/0022.jpg

thoroughbred
16 July 2010, 12:25 PM
My allure is the character that each piece has, its a individual that has withstood the test of time and can tell its very own stories. Some pieces are no longer produced, and all are the building blocks that got others where they are today. Then there are the pieces of which only a few exist, and few can afford!

thoroughbred
16 July 2010, 12:26 PM
That movie got me into a lot of trouble!:chuckle:

Here's my "Eleanor":thumbsup::

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d90/renatoabella/DSC00132-1.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d90/renatoabella/DSC00851.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d90/renatoabella/DSC00852.jpg

As for watches, I love the vintage for the history, charm and exclusivity:thumbsup::

Beautiful

BarkMaster
16 July 2010, 01:16 PM
Because the dawgs at Rolex don't bark any more! :chuckle:

TheDude
16 July 2010, 01:31 PM

Both are stunning!!
:lol::lol:

Subfiend
16 July 2010, 01:45 PM
both are stunning!!
:lol::lol:

x2

Some Pair
16 July 2010, 01:52 PM

.....and besides that, as an older appreciating piece, you're actually driving your money.
With a Vintage Rolex, you're wearin' it. :thumbsup: :bye:
For Example and just to "drive" the point home....(btw, the red one is mine):

Dalton
16 July 2010, 07:58 PM
Vintage is just what it is, from the past. Can't go back in time, but some things transition well into the future, especially those items which are still fully functional. A vintage watch can be just as good as a new one, and the same goes for a car, tools, clothes, and so on. So whether it's hype, preference, desire, or budget, Vintage provides the same output with a different feel. Shoot I got to work yesterday in a 1970 VW Beetle, and to me, nothing beats driving at 80mph with a high output motor, no seatbelts, and countless people wondering how the hell I'm able to move so fast. The day before, I drove in the comfort of a mid 90's BMW, both got me to work at the same time, except the VW left a hint of Petrol in my clothing, and I swear women were sparking up conversations with me for no apparent reason. I think it was the grin I was sporting, more than the smell of fuel, but either way, Vintage Rolex makes me grin too, and that's the allure, for me. My face lights up at the sight of Vintage. it's what I like.

jdc
16 July 2010, 08:09 PM
For me I like the fact that they are rarer and not seen as much as current models. The design and lighter weight appeals as I think they are more comfortable to wear and look more elegant on the wrist. The plexi glass gives a warmer look that needs to be experienced to truly appreciate and I like matt dials. They are rugged and can compete with the daily activities I do as much as my modern Rolex so are practical. I like the sense of history they engender.

TheDude
16 July 2010, 10:38 PM
.....and besides that, as an older appreciating piece, you're actually driving your money.
With a Vintage Rolex, you're wearin' it. :thumbsup: :bye:
For Example and just to "drive" the point home....(btw, the red one is mine):

HAHA. You really run the risk of no one knowing what the heck you have there on this forum.

Gorgeous '71 GS 455. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Buddy of mine had a TA with the 455 Super Duty back in the day. Unbelievable motor.

TattooedGQ
16 July 2010, 11:07 PM
I think the Dude hit it with the gone in 60 quote. Anyone can plunk down 5-10-20K on a shiny new watch (obviously easier for some than others but with saving it can be done).....getting a REALLY nice vintage is tough, and I like being a little different than everyone else. A vintage helps set you apart (granted my only REAL vintage is a 1603, but hey I like it)

And since we're playing the classic car game...here's mine.....She was my daily driver through college.

TheDude
16 July 2010, 11:30 PM
I think the Dude hit it with the gone in 60 quote. Anyone can plunk down 5-10-20K on a shiny new watch (obviously easier for some than others but with saving it can be done).....getting a REALLY nice vintage is tough, and I like being a little different than everyone else. A vintage helps set you apart (granted my only REAL vintage is a 1603, but hey I like it)

And since we're playing the classic car game...here's mine.....She was my daily driver through college.

Nice! I had an '87 IROC-Z in college, complete with the 5.7L. Thought it would be more reliable than an old car. HA! At least I learned (more like taught myself) how to work on cars and the fundamentals of electronic fuel management systems!

TattooedGQ
17 July 2010, 12:16 AM
Thanks....the '87 Iroc. Cool looking cars, bad stigma though, at least in NY.

RLXSTR
17 July 2010, 01:15 AM
I enjoy History. That is my allure from cars to watches among other things as well. History & the stories behind an item makes it even more special.

Dalton
17 July 2010, 06:05 AM
holy crap! Great cars on this thread.

CaveDiver
17 July 2010, 06:24 AM
Vintage is just what it is, from the past. Can't go back in time, but some things transition well into the future, especially those items which are still fully functional. A vintage watch can be just as good as a new one, and the same goes for a car, tools, clothes, and so on. So whether it's hype, preference, desire, or budget, Vintage provides the same output with a different feel. Shoot I got to work yesterday in a 1970 VW Beetle, and to me, nothing beats driving at 80mph with a high output motor, no seatbelts, and countless people wondering how the hell I'm able to move so fast. The day before, I drove in the comfort of a mid 90's BMW, both got me to work at the same time, except the VW left a hint of Petrol in my clothing, and I swear women were sparking up conversations with me for no apparent reason. I think it was the grin I was sporting, more than the smell of fuel, but either way, Vintage Rolex makes me grin too, and that's the allure, for me. My face lights up at the sight of Vintage. it's what I like.

That is funny Dalton.
My father’s 63 bug parked ready for the dive trip:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h104/GreenTennis/Dad/Diving/AnchorTip/176cr.jpg
On the dive trip with the 5512:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h104/GreenTennis/Dad/Diving/AnchorTip/203cr.jpg

What a sight to see a man driving a 63 bug with a Rolex lol.

Oh, and I wear vintage because the vintage was my father’s.

onkyo
17 July 2010, 11:31 AM
holy crap! Great cars on this thread.

X2..... beauties.

Some Pair
17 July 2010, 03:29 PM
HAHA. You really run the risk of no one knowing what the heck you have there on this forum.

Gorgeous '71 GS 455. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Buddy of mine had a TA with the 455 Super Duty back in the day. Unbelievable motor.

But we know don't we :thumbsup:

Also, thank you Dude for your compliment on my "Vintage GS".
Yea, I remember the '73-'74 SD 455Firebirds. That and the '73-'74 Stage1 Buick GS behemoth's, actually were the baddest of the GM or any other US manufactured Smog factory Hot Rod's from Detroit in '73-'74. :smokin:

lupus
17 July 2010, 06:42 PM
New Rolex are too shiny.

Alexus
17 July 2010, 07:58 PM
as mentioned before: New Watches can be bought by anybody everywhere... Perfect Vintages (of all kinds) are rare, hard to find and even more expensive.

but it's special to me to own something with a history and not not so easy to get a second one (for the neighbor f.e.) :)

Dalton
17 July 2010, 08:10 PM
That is funny Dalton.
My father’s 63 bug parked ready for the dive trip:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h104/GreenTennis/Dad/Diving/AnchorTip/176cr.jpg
On the dive trip with the 5512:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h104/GreenTennis/Dad/Diving/AnchorTip/203cr.jpg

What a sight to see a man driving a 63 bug with a Rolex lol.

Oh, and I wear vintage because the vintage was my father’s.
Nice 63! Ya know, VW stuff is what I used to like as a kid because it was cheap, and it moved. Nowadays I do it for the nostalgia, and still relatively cheap upkeep:smokin:. Which reminds me, Nostalgia is the word I was looking for when I posted previously. It's a damn good feeling.

bluemartinifan
17 July 2010, 10:16 PM
I just like the look of old things, whether it's architecture, antique furnishings, fountain pens (and inkwells) or vintage cars. Vintage watches fall into that category. We inherited some older wristwatches (from the 1930s and 1940s) from a relative. They aren't Rolexes, or even particularly expensive (e.g. an early Movado sports watch, and a Baume & Mercier chronograph) that just look "cool" to me. I enjoy the way that decades ago, craftsmen took pride in making ordinary, utilitarian things look interesting. We also inherited several antique lighters...one is a stylized, free-standing lighter (presumably made to look great on a desk) made of bakelite and chrome. I love its deco look.

I recently went to a nice antique watch dealer that had old Rolex "bubblebacks" in stock as well as some old Patek Phillippes. I just admire the "look" of the watches, whether it's the font, the style of the numbers, etc.

EXACTLY! :thumbsup:

Mauiguy
17 July 2010, 10:35 PM
Because James Bond and Steve McQueen wouldn't be caught dead wearing "The Hulk", and neither would I! :biggrin:

-M

Paulie
18 July 2010, 02:54 PM
For me it's the history. Something mechanical which has been around longer than I have been, and still does the job with élan. :)

http://homepage.mac.com/pmalysz/LizOyster2.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/pmalysz/waltham3.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/pmalysz/67SP2.png