PDA

View Full Version : my advice for first time buyers

slcbbrown
15 July 2009, 05:31 AM
I thought I would post some thoughts on first-time buying:
1. This is aimed at non-collectors-- don't be afraid to buy a used watch that you can afford. Rolexes can last a lot longer than you'll live, and for a price, almost anything can be fixed. Rather than spend years waiting till you can afford your first, perfect Rolex, go buy a less expensive version and start enjoying it.
2. Don't agonize over having the newest, "best" Rolex. If you are in a room of 100 people, there will probably be only one or two Rolexes being worn. If the number of Rolexes is two, one of them is probably fake. Any Rolex you can afford will still be the best watch in the room.
3. Acrylic crystals are fine and they're going to be less costly on the used market. You don't need a sapphire crystal to have a nice watch (I do like them, though). Rolex became famous using the plastic crystals. I've never personally seen a broken plastic crystal, but I have seen shattered sapphires.
4. If you decide to buy used, be careful that you don't jump for a mid-size model, unless that is what you want. The smaller (less than 36mm DJ or 40 mm sport model) watches can be a bunch cheaper in the used market.
5. Whatever you buy, wear it a lot. In my opinion, every Rolex is a "sport" model and is meant to take everyday wear and tear. A patina only develops with wearing.
6. Again, for non-collectors-- if you like your watch all shiny, most watch shops and many jewelers can polish away the tiny scratches that your watch is going to get. A less-than-perfect polishing will still look great on your wrist, and it's inexpensive.

scootnfast
15 July 2009, 07:59 AM
Great advice :cheers:

pz93c
15 July 2009, 08:51 AM
Hear, hear. :cheers: