PDA

View Full Version : Another 5508

Gonerafting
26 July 2009, 05:10 AM
My father purchased this watch at one of the Base Exchange in Germany while stationed there in between 1958 and 1960. The serial number and model number are well worn from the bracelet. He wore the watch until his death in 2001. My mother gave it to me this week and as soon as I picked it up the minute hand started moving. I know it has been mentioned a watch left not running for this period to time should be cleaned and lubricated. It's kept perfect time for the past four days, a tribute to Rolex. As a consequence of 40 years of wear by a Army Officer, it is very worn.
I really prefer the blue dial tt sub to vintage, I am not a collector. I have two avenues: 1) Replace the crystal and leave it in the present state, also needs work of the crown locking down 2) Send it to Dalton or Ridley in an attempt to totally restore it.... very expensive.
I do not know if the earlier 5508, serial number is 400460, are more valuable and from my research values are widely spread. I assume the gilt dial makes it more valuable. It obviously needs a new insert, a "boat load" of money as mentioned in a previous thread by Steve M. Also, it appears to have fine lines (webbing) on the dial, the marks at 12 minutes are most noticeable.
I have three SS bracelets one newer (Tudor) and two, one I believe the original and the other I believe is a fake. I will post pictures of the later two further down in the tread.
The watch is starting to have more appeal since it was my father's and it been accurate, no loss of time.
I appreciate any advice/comments. Jim

Lol-x
27 July 2009, 09:46 AM
Looks great to me, just keep it well lubed and you are good to go :agree: :twit:

Welcome :cheers:

JPersat
27 July 2009, 09:49 AM
Such a beauty. A grail for alot of people, including myself.

onkyo
27 July 2009, 10:32 AM
The watch looks great to me also.....

Spend some money on maintenance to prevent damage to the moving parts and you are all set.

Do you have a service history on it?

:cheers:

ps ... and welcome to this great forum. :bye:

achova
27 July 2009, 10:38 AM
Jim - very nice watch! I had Bob go through a 5513 with a full mechanically refurbish and the price wasn't bad. If your watch is keeping time now, the service should be reasonable. It would be worth giving one of the watchmakers a call to get an estimate.

I'm on the other side of the state, but pass through E. Washington every month or so. Drop me a line if there is anything I can help with.
http://adamsgarage.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=32027&g2_serialNumber=3.jpg

Gonerafting
27 July 2009, 09:15 PM
I've decided to keep this watch, how can you not like a watch the keeps perfect time and in many ways liking it much better everyday. My father had it occasionally service by an AD. I will send it either to Dalton or Ridley for servicing in the near future. I have three bracelets for it, one I believe is a fake. I will post pictures later today. It's nice to wear a watch my Dad wore for 40 years. I appreciate the advice.

Gonerafting
28 July 2009, 04:51 AM
Here are photographs of the two bracelets, the original needs work on the clasp and you can see where the metal is almost worn through. All the links are intact with the rivets in place. I am not so sure of the other bracelet is a genuine which has hollow rivets and although I have the link, the one rivets is totally missing. The hallmarks say Rolex USA, but if it is a fake, I'll just throw it out. I appreciate everyones help/advice. Jim

R1@160@alltimes
28 July 2009, 04:55 AM
Its a keeper with lots of sentimental value.

watchcrank
28 July 2009, 10:19 AM
with a little tlc that will be fantastic. already a grail watch imo. and you can never replace the memory of your father wearing it every day. m

T5AUS
28 July 2009, 08:10 PM
Very nice Jim, what a killer example of this rare iconic Sub. As previously said, just get the mechanism serviced and perhaps the scratches polished out of the glass and it's good to go for another 40 years, good luck with it. :thumbsup:

Gonerafting
29 July 2009, 06:41 AM
I have a vague memory to this watch having a red triangle insert, I could be wrong. Did any of the 5508's have a red triangle.\? This insert is too faded for me to determine whether my memory serves me right. The watch has more meaning to me than a monetary value. I appreciate everyone's help and nice comments.

ParisDakarBmw
2 January 2010, 03:04 PM
Some tlc, and that watch is an eyecatcher!

Safetrends
2 January 2010, 03:06 PM
Excellent Rolex!

Sgthuff
18 January 2010, 06:07 AM
Great rolex,congrats!

stevemulholland3
19 January 2010, 10:04 AM
yes your insert could most definitely have had a red triangle insert...
you know I am still looking for a nice 5508 for my collection!..hint,hint!...lol

Gonerafting
19 January 2010, 05:13 PM
yes your insert could most definitely have had a red triangle insert...
you know I am still looking for a nice 5508 for my collection!..hint,hint!...lol

You'll be the first to know! My dementia is progressing, shouldn't be longQ:banghead: