PDA

View Full Version : RED SUB 1680 advice needed

stevestrh
31 July 2009, 05:16 AM
Hello all.
I had my 1680 serviced by Rolex in 2006. The dial has some deteration above the 12 marker and towards the right of the 12. I was aware that rolex would not repair the dial when the watch was serviced.The watch is a 1969 -1970 I think the bracelet is correct No.9315 end link No.280. Should I replace the dial ,repair, keep or sell, what would you do?
Many thanks
Steve

marke
31 July 2009, 05:42 AM
have a look on vintagerolexforums.com where you might be able to pick up a replacement dial. or leave it as it is...its a great watch and i love it

If not you can sell to me as it would match with the 1680 white that have, so they can be like brother and sister.

Davvan
31 July 2009, 07:34 AM
If I was in your shoes...I would not replace that dial......it`s a part of the watch and itīs history.......And..... itīs lovely! A change would decrease the value if you care about that. I would keep the watch as is... if I didnīt need the money.

I use my Tudor sub from 1968 as my everyday watch....donīt be afraid to use it....thatīs what itīs designed for. :cheers:

Clay
31 July 2009, 07:38 AM
If it bothers you, then sell it...Other wise I would leave it as is......

Balboa
31 July 2009, 10:36 AM
That dial has attained a little character, but is not at all in bad shape. Do not do anything to it.

If you want to freshen up your watch to wear, buy a replacement dial and save the original as is.

Refinishing that dial will take a big hit on the value of your watch.

Mark

marke
1 August 2009, 05:27 AM
rolex UK do not have any more red submariner dials left in stock, when i called them today. The only have white 1680 dials, but these are luminova and not tritium.

vitix
1 August 2009, 05:30 AM
i agree with the others... leave it like that

onkyo
1 August 2009, 07:41 AM
The dial doesn't look that bad.... I would leave it alone.

If it really bothers you then you may be able to find one over on VRF though it will be expensive for one in nice condition.

:cheers:

Perdu
1 August 2009, 11:39 AM
If I had one of those, Steve, I would keep it.

stevemulholland3
1 August 2009, 01:18 PM
you can have that one repaired for about 300 bucks and it will look fantastic..it will also keep the dial from getting any worse..you wantr to stop the deteriation as soon as possible,I have seen similiar dials that have cracked all around the whole edge-which WILL be highy noticeable then..

stevestrh
1 August 2009, 08:07 PM
Hello, thanks for all your interests and comments. When I took the watch to be serviced at Rolex the deterioration on the 12 and to the right of the dial was minimal. Rolex advised me that to stop the spread of the deterioration they would remove the damage and said that this will stop that problem spreading. I have pictures of before I took the watch to Rolex and will try to post the pictures later.
Many thanks
Steve

DadsWatch72
3 August 2009, 12:23 AM
:thinking:How do you "remove" the damage when the damage is caused from paint that has already been removed? I don't understand. :thinking:

jlms
3 August 2009, 01:02 AM
I agree with those above who say keep it.
I have my 1969 red sub 1680 and use it evrey day.
It's a 40 year old watch and does its job remarkably.
Just imagine... if that watch could talk, all the stories it would entertain you with.
That is what I consider character in a watch.
Enjoy your 1680.

mkolesa
3 August 2009, 01:12 AM
nothing to add that hasn't already been said, but imho, if you want a watch to look 'as new', get a new (or recent) watch. if you have a vintage piece you either appreciate it for what it is, or as has already been suggested, move on and let someone who isn't troubled by the appearance appreciate it. but, to me, trying to make a vintage piece look new (or like it hasn't aged in some way), is at odds with the definition of what makes a vintage piece vintage... the obvious exception being a piece that's been damaged or has severely deteriorated. good luck!

watchcrank
3 August 2009, 06:58 AM
I like the vintage worn look as well. wear it in good health. m

maverick
3 August 2009, 07:39 AM
I might sourse another dial and keep it just in case. If it were my watch I would NOT touch that dial as now it is all original and unmolested.

The case is magnificent and and chip on the crystal can be replaced if it bothers you.

Congratulations on a fine red sub. :thumbsup:=) maverick

eparisini
3 August 2009, 08:26 PM
stevestrh look at what a good watch maker can do:

Lol-x
3 August 2009, 09:08 PM
eparisini that is a great result. Just shows that watchmakers can perform miracles after all :cheers:

DadsWatch72
3 August 2009, 11:30 PM
It looks better but not overdone.