PDA

View Full Version : Older Rolex

jetrod
2 August 2009, 01:32 PM
Good Day
I am a new member to this forum, Please excuse the lengthy story

I have recently received a Rolex watch from my father. He purchased the watch in West Africa in July of 1951. It came with the original bill of sale, a test certificate and a small green leather folder with the Rolex crown embedded on the front for the paperwork. The test certificate suggests it was made in 1950. The watch has been damaged fairly significantly due to an accident my father was in many years ago. I recently took it to a local watch vender in my area who was recommended to me. He told me that it is repairable. The vender said all should be fixable but he may have to get the pin for the hands made by another gentleman. The watch smith said to call it a "bubble back". Im curious as to weather there are any pins available for this watch or if i do in fact have to have the pin made? The second question is how much would a good quality Rolex bracelet cost? Final question of course is value? BTW what is an "AD"

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated and I can provide pictures on my next post

Thanks, JET

mkolesa
2 August 2009, 11:32 PM
Hi JET,

Where are you located in Canada? I'm in Toronto and may be able to refer you to someone to look at the watch if you were nearby for a second opinion. First of all, don't be in a rush to have the watch repaired. If it's worth going to the trouble, it's worth doing it right. With vintage watches the important point is to keep it as close to original in appearance as possible. So that means cosmetic work should be done on an as-needed basis since most would prefer an older watch with character versus and older watch that was made to look like new. And those are all things to discuss with your watchmaker. Others can chime in but Rolex typically does not maintain watch parts beyond a certain age and going to an AD (or Authorized Dealer) to check regarding a factory service will most likely be a dead end. Regarding sourcing the appropriate parts, that depends again on watchmaker you employ and how resourceful they are. But I will say that fabricating a part for a watch of this age is not out of the question. Bubbleback refers to the general case type that Rolex used for vintage watches with an automatic movement where the case back was rounded. They were produced through the mid-a950's (approximately). Regarding a replacement bracelet, the style from an older watch like this will not be the same as what's currently available but there are people making high quality aftermarket bracelets that copy the look of an original vintage bracelet. And of course, many watches from this period are now wearing leather straps for the same reason (the original bracelet has worn out). Value is best determined by following some Ebay auctions of other Bubblebacks. That's a great bit of family history you have there, good luck!
Kind regards,
Michael

jetrod
3 August 2009, 09:22 AM
Hi MIchael
Thank-You for your reply. I am located in Edmonton A.B. Quite a bit of what you said is the same as the watchmaker said. In regarding keeping it original i was going to get the dial touched up as the crystal is missing. he told me don't, it is only dirty and that collectors prefer to see it as if it had been worn. The bracelet had to be cut off my dads wrist and the parts were never recovered i have all the hands and it has a date window. He was kind enough to repair the date so it would count again my father wanted me to have it so there is some sentimental value. You also are of the same opinion in regards to factory service it's a no-go. One thing he did tell me was to look at ebay but don't conclude a price based only on them as there is some value in the additional paperwork and green envelope i have. When i catch up on my "to do list" i will take a pic. of the watch and accessaries and send it to you if your interested. If you are aware of a reputable watchmaker here in Edmonton I would be sure to have He/she look at at and give me their advise
Thanks again, Mark

mkolesa
5 August 2009, 01:18 AM
Hi Mark,
What a great project, to restore a watch with such sentimental value. Good luck with that! It sounds like you're getting very good advice from your watchmaker already so I would be inclined to trust their judgment, and of course you're free to post again if specific questions come up during the restoration. And if you do have some photos that you can post I'm sure you'll get lots of responses, those older Rolexes have lots of fans... If it was me, I'd not worry about the bracelet for now; just get the watch up and running and put it on a suitable strap (again, your watchmaker could probably advise you). Absolutely the value would increase if you have supporting paperwork but it's not something you can put a number on and each person would weigh the worth differently. And if you're keeping the watch it's a bit of a moot point anyway.
Cheers,
Michael

jetrod
5 August 2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks again for your help. Im going to take my time with the restoration because I do want it done right. I have one more question if you don't mind... if the watch has a date window should i replace the crystal with a magnifying window or no magnification? I saw a picture of a watch close to mine in age it had no date window thus no magnifying window in the crystal. I look forward to you reply. Hope your day goes well and thanks again

Mark

mkolesa
6 August 2009, 07:45 AM
Hi again Mark. Well, let me preface my comments by saying I'm no expert in Rolexes of this age. But I think there are two ways of looking at this: you can either put the type of crystal on that was original (cyclops or non-cyclops (magnifier or not), top hat or domed (crystal shape)), or, put on whatever appeals to you. I don't think anyone would fault whichever choice you make. But if you want to get more opinions take a photo of the watch and post it here under a new topic like: 'To Cyclops or Not?' and see what advice you get... I will tell you that some people do replace the cyclops crystal on a 'date' model for a non-cyclops one because they feel it gives the dial a more harmonious appearance... Best regards!

Tools
6 August 2009, 09:19 AM
The Cyclops didn't come along until the early 50's, so one originally built in 1950 would not likely have had it.

jetrod
6 August 2009, 05:51 PM
Hi Michael and Larry
Thanks for the tips. Photos to come soon

Regards, Mark