PDA

View Full Version : 1984 transitional sub

snoLexKöning
3 August 2009, 09:12 PM
My dad bought a white lettering stainless steel submariner 16800 new in 1984 as a dive watch to wear every day. When I was born in 1988 he decided that one day he would give it to me. Well, I finally have it. I have a few questions about its value and how having certain work done on the watch would effect that value. The dial is matte and original, as are the hands, the movement and the bezel. The only aftermarket part is the band. (I have the original band as well, it's just stretched all to hell) The dial is in excellent condition from what I can tell, the lettering is still a bold white with no fading. The hour indicators also have very, very little fading. The watch does have a few things wrong with it that are the result of 26 years of use. The tritium is toast, absolutely zero illumination from the hands, dial or bezel pearl. The tritium in the hands has faded to a darkish gray color for the most part leaving behind very little of that cream colored white. Also, the illumination pearl on the bezel is chipped, not enough that you would ever notice at a glance but very obvious under any scrutiny. All in all I am interested to find out the value of the watch, and if the dial, hands, or bezel can be replaced without reducing the collector value. I wear it daily and having illumination would be nice. Also, I have all the original papers, box, service records, and even the Rolex anchor.

SLS
3 August 2009, 10:15 PM
Congrats on the Sub and welcome! If you decide to change the dial & hands it will kill the value of the watch. I would keep the dial, hands & insert all original and get the watch serviced. In addition, I would pick up a 93150 bracelet from you local AD and put that on the watch. Pics would certainly help, but I would guess you are in the low $4K range, if not high $3K depending on condition of the watch...having the goodies are always nice!
Scott

snoLexKöning
4 August 2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks! If I can find my camera battery anywhere I'll snap some photos.

DadsWatch72
4 August 2009, 12:18 AM
The band is gonna be around $850-$900 new from the dealer. They will give you a trade in price but I wouldn't send in your old one for a lower price on the new one. Keep it with the watch as this was recommended to me from others on this forum.

JPersat
4 August 2009, 12:24 AM
If you decide to change the dial & hands it will kill the value of the watch.

x2

Tools
4 August 2009, 01:27 AM
I don't think that changing the dial anda hands to Luminova on that model will kill the value..

It will/may affect the value....... and it may turn away a die-hard collector. But, a proper service Luminova dial and hands will make the watch functional, and it will still be a 4k watch..

20 years from now that may be a different story, but what would the tritium look like at that time.. ?

These are, of cours, personal decisions about your time-piece and what yo think will be the end use..:cheers:

T5AUS
4 August 2009, 08:23 AM
If the only issue with the dial and hands is the strength of the lume then personally I would not change a thing, in the long term that will enhance it's value, nothing as nice as original hands and dial to a serious vintage collector and definitely keep the original bracelet with it. Another great thing to have is the original paper work etc. All up, the best thing you can do to it (imho) is to get the movement serviced and leave the rest alone, sounds like a perfect vintage watch :thumbsup:
LETS SEE SOME PHOTO'S PLEASE

snoLexKöning
4 August 2009, 01:41 PM
Absolutely horrid web cam picture. Hopefully I'll have my D60 operational soon and I can take some better ones.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2556/3787741636_7cc97e40a0_o.jpg

DadsWatch72
6 August 2009, 12:06 AM
"Well, I finally have it." :rofl:

I hope the wait wasn't too tough.

snoLexKöning
6 August 2009, 10:41 AM
"Well, I finally have it." :rofl:

I hope the wait wasn't too tough.

Not really, I just had to overcome the reasonable anxiety of giving an 18 year old a Rolex. Honestly I probably wasn't mature enough at the time anyways.

DadsWatch72
6 August 2009, 12:05 PM
He wouldn't have given it to you if he didn't have confidents in you. Congrats on the watch. :thumbsup:

snoLexKöning
8 August 2009, 09:12 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2531/3799592896_7b49908357_b.jpg

SLS
9 August 2009, 06:16 AM
Very nice looking Sub, I would try to keep it as original as possible. If you want the dial & hands functional again, you could do one of two things. First, try to source a luminova factory service dial & hands (which will be $$$) or you could try to find a beat up dial and hands here, eBay or wherever, have them installed and then send it in to Rolex for service. That way you get to keep the old dial & hands and get factory service dial with papers.
Scott

adam78
9 August 2009, 06:52 AM
Now that's a beauty! Good shot.

snoLexKöning
9 August 2009, 06:58 AM
Now that's a beauty! Good shot.
No kidding. Almost hard to believe it's been worn every day for the past 26 years including god knows how many dives.